(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 110.
#1051 10 years ago

EM titles would sell "a" amount
Early SS titles would sell "b" amount
Late SS system titles would sell "c" amount
WPC titles would sell "d" amount
WPC95 titles would sell "e" amount

From a business perspective it's simply a question of profit and return on investment. I hate to say this, because I know you EM lovers are passionate, but there is a distinct increase in interest in later technology games. That is not a "diss" or anything, just a personal opinion.

*edit* as far as remakes would be concerned.

#1052 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What mentality? The point I'm making is that they can break, and if they do, they will need to be serviced. There was a weak spot on the troll cages. Maybe these will be better.

I think he means that making observations based on a small sample size is often misleading. I've heard this referred to as 'N=1'.

#1053 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I think he means that making observations based on a small sample size is often misleading.

I was only speaking on my own experience. I believe these were brand new parts, as I know they were replaced. They very well may have been NOS, used, or repro. I don't really know. But I do know they broke after very little service.

#1055 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thank you very much. I don't know you at all, but just you answering our simple questions (and shows you actually read our posts) ! What a concept maybe some grey-haired pinball seller could take a clue. But as long as you remake them (providing they are the same or better quality than old pins) I will keep buying them.
I say this, no disrespect to the existing (used) pin market. But I have a TZ and love it but I don't have the ability or desire to be fixing the pin more often than I play it. I assume (my belief) is that an all new pin one that didn't spend 14 years in a smoky bar will be more reliable and and fresh looking.
I have had my PotC 7 years in my home and not one time did one thing break or go wrong and it still looks new. If you remake TZ, IJ, CFTBL, MB, AFM, TOTAN (etc.) to paraphrase the 'Jaws' movie "I'm gonna need a bigger basement"

I get the excitement but why would anyone remake TZ, IJ or CFTBL when there are plenty in the market at reasonable prices? It makes zero sense and it simply wont happen. Especially when factoring in the need for relicensing.

#1056 10 years ago

I'm guessing that there wouldn't be 1,000 buyers committing to buy in a few hours though. Just playing devil's advocate. Not downplaying the achievement.

#1057 10 years ago

there are people who approach us all the time wanting to make earlier games ... so as I usually say never say never ...

#1058 10 years ago

Fingers crossed for the folks interested in the earlier games then! Collective hug?

#1059 10 years ago

anyone up for bulb-scoring WMS game remakes? just thought I'd check on that as I have an eccentic that thinks this would be cool to do ...

#1060 10 years ago

What's the wire gauge? Looks beefy!

#1061 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

anyone up for bulb-scoring WMS game remakes?

th-3-263.jpegth-3-263.jpeg

#1062 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

True dat....I bet the 8k price tag will have to be adjusted down on the JJP and Sterns in the future or they will have a tough time moving machines in large numbers. I know atleast for Sterns the 8k is only on the limited machine and the Pros will remain below 5k, but for JJP the innovation better be alien technology if they're going to ask 8k.

People lump Stern and JJP together when throwing around the $8k price point. But the differences between an $8k JJP pin and an $8k Stern "LE" pin are huge. You get a *lot* of quality components in a JJP pin; a Stern LE gives you an extra coil or 2, an extra plastic toy or 2, and more pretty (and quite inexpensive) lights as compared to their far-cheaper "Pro" models. I'll pay $8k for a JJP game; I see little value and huge markups in the Stern LEs. Even the Premiums have ridiculous markups for what is added to them. I guess there's a market for everything.

BTW, will the troll mechs be beefed up a bit? I recall (I think) that the top plates sometimes dented a bit.

#1063 10 years ago

Yeah and they sold like 10 of them.

#1064 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

there are people who approach us all the time wanting to make earlier games ... so as I usually say never say never ...

One thing I have noticed reading this forum. Some people don't care for or respect the history of pinball or the great machines of the past, especially if it was before their time. I believe you can have as much fun playing an old woodrail as a modern DMD game. I have a machine that is brand new, and one that is older than me, and all points in between. If you only dwell on one era, then you are missing out on the rest of this great hobby. IMO.

#1065 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How often do you have to fix a trace on the giant light board under AFM?
I've reflowed maybe 2 headers in my entire life.

I'll let you know when I get an AFM.

#1066 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

One thing I have noticed reading this forum. Some people don't care for or respect the history of pinball or the great machines of the past, especially if it was before their time. I believe you can have as much fun playing an old woodrail as a modern DMD game. I have a machine that is brand new, and one that is older than me, and all points in between. If you only dwell on one era, then you are missing out on the rest of this great hobby. IMO.

One thing I've noticed about EM fans is they just can't accept the fact that many of us just find those games uninteresting and boring. I get that you like them, and would never want to take away your enjoyment...and I respect the design and artistry behind them and realize we wouldn't have "modern" games without them - but I can only play them as a curiosity - I've never really had a feeling of fun from them. I'm not alone in this opinion, and that's why MMr sold 1000 in 2 seconds and KoDr sold 10.

#1067 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One thing I've noticed about EM fans is they just can't accept the fact that many of us just find those games uninteresting and boring.

Then you probably would have not liked growing up when pinball was king. It was a simpler time without computers, cell phones, and all the other distractions of modern life. I respect your opinion, but I'm happy that I get to enjoy the entirety of this hobby, and I pity those that can't.

#1068 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then you probably would have not liked growing up when pinball was king. It was a simpler time without computers, cell phones, and all the other distractions of modern life. I respect your opinion, but I'm happy that I get to enjoy the entirety of this hobby, and I pity those that can't.

i-pity-da-fool.jpgi-pity-da-fool.jpg

#1069 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

anyone up for bulb-scoring WMS game remakes? just thought I'd check on that as I have an eccentic that thinks this would be cool to do ...

Space Ship please!

#1070 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One thing I've noticed about EM fans is they just can't accept the fact that many of us just find those games uninteresting and boring. I get that you like them, and would never want to take away your enjoyment...and I respect the design and artistry behind them and realize we wouldn't have "modern" games without them - but I can only play them as a curiosity - I've never really had a feeling of fun from them. I'm not alone in this opinion, and that's why MMr sold 1000 in 2 seconds and KoDr sold 10.

I enjoy all eras probably because my dad had a few em's in our basement when I was growing up. I still buy them and play them but I don't get all that attached then trade them out for something else. But I do think people are kind of missing out on some great machines especially em arcade games I think those are still better than anything with a monitor.

#1071 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

See that's what I mean...that attitude of pitying me?! Cuz I like a certain era of pinball machines? I don't pity you for liking EMs....I don't need your pity for liking what I like. Look man, it is what it is - I grew up in the 80's - I grew up as video games grew up...I like the bleeps and bloops and music and lights and sounds. My earliest pinball memories are probably F-14 Tomcat, High Speed & Elvira. I remember my dad playing pinball while I was playing Pac-Man & Donkey Kong. Had I grown up when video games didn't exist I'm sure EM pinballs would have been the coolest thing of all time to me....but I didn't and they aren't.

Also - just because I don't want to OWN EMs doesn't mean I don't appreciate them and respect them. I just don't think they're FUN. I'm entitled to that opinion. I'll play them if there's one in front of me at someone's house or at a show....but that's it. I don't want to buy them....and clearly the masses now spending tons of dough on pinball these days don't want to either....and they don't need your pity.

#1072 10 years ago

Dude, don't get so excited! I never asked for your opinion, but you threw me into a group of EM fans that can't accept your opinion. I never said that. It was only an observation that I have seen a lot of negative words towards EMs in general. You don't see me saying how crappy the stuff you like is. I don't care what you like, but I'm not going to say it sucks! Now excuse me while I go play Metallica.

#1073 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I go play Metallica.

See, you two do have one thing in common: METLE! Come on, peace brothers.

#1074 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Dude, don't get so excited! I never asked for your opinion, but you threw me into a group of EM fans that can't accept your opinion. I never said that. It was only an observation that I have seen a lot of negative words towards EMs in general. You don't see me saying how crappy the stuff you like is. I don't care what you like, but I'm not going to say it sucks! Now excuse me while I go play Metallica.

You started with this:

"One thing I have noticed reading this forum. Some people don't care for or respect the history of pinball or the great machines of the past, especially if it was before their time. I believe you can have as much fun playing an old woodrail as a modern DMD game"

I never insulted your tastes or said anything sucked...I was responding to this...that is all.

#1075 10 years ago

Then shall we play some Metallica?

#1076 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then shall we play some Metallica?

Let's FRY THAT MATHAFACKAAAAAH!!!

#1077 10 years ago

I like it all!

#1078 10 years ago

I can understand how guys who grew up way past the EM era don't 'get EMs' the way others do. It has always been my goal to have a game from each 'era', and would like to add a wedgehead and woodrail when I can find space and the right machine. I think it is part of the history and they also have a play to them that can be fun and relaxing (and who doesn't enjoy a good drop target game).

I have also found that working on EM has given me tremendous respect for the guys who designed these 'computers' using relays, steppers and score motors. I've enjoyed learning about them and how to trouble shoot them. Part of that is the 'geek' in me, part of that is the 'pinball enthusiast'.

If you are an engineer or a software developer by trade, and you have never owned an EM, you should get one, at least for a little while, just to get a hands on experience with the early days of computing devices. You are really missing out if you don't.

#1079 10 years ago

Really, every pinhead should have an EM in their collection.

Less repairs than SS/DMD .

#1080 10 years ago

At Expo this year I played mostly only the EMs I'm into them takes me to a time way before me I'm only 20. I like the bells and clanking its more of a skill nudge game its fun to play. I really like all the old artwork and animated back glass. I played a game called cow poke and I fell in love with that one. I'm glad a lot of people don't find them fun I never have to wait in a line to play one and I will be able to pick some up cheaper then all these DMD pins one day.

I'm still a big fan of newer games but I love nostalgia too something my grandparents or their parents could have been playing when they were my age.

#1081 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But watch out! If you get one of the real good ones, they may start to multiply faster than some of the newer titles, as they are usually more affordable.

#1082 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I like it all!

Hey, if you're ever out east, maybe Gerry can introduce you to a couple of his buddies that live in PA!

#1083 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If they don't enjoy the gameplay and sounds, then no - no they shouldn't.

#1084 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If they don't enjoy the gameplay and sounds, then no - no they shouldn't.

How many EMs have you played? Or should I ask which EMs have you played?

#1085 10 years ago

um....isn't this the mmr update thread?

#1086 10 years ago

derailed.jpgderailed.jpg

#1087 10 years ago

I don't like too many EM's but there are a couple good ones. Hot Shot is pretty good, almost bought one.

#1088 10 years ago

Back on track.

Can anyone come up with a list of any (if there are any) MM mods that will still work with MMR.

We know the color DMD will need to wait on them to come up with their solution, but what about other ones?

Merlin with the crystal ball light
Trolls with lit eyes
Castle window light
Dragon
any others I may not have thought of?

#1089 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

How many EMs have you played? Or should I ask which EMs have you played?

A ton! I played as many as I could at PPE. I've played them at friend's houses. Played some at PHOF. Like I said - I appreciate them, but 1 or 2 games is enough for me

#1090 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What mentality? The point I'm making is that they can break, and if they do, they will need to be serviced. There was a weak spot on the troll cages. Maybe these will be better.

I have two fairly new Troll carriages in my MM. I have three broken ones in the parts heap.

Nuff said.

#1091 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Back on track.
Can anyone come up with a list of any (if there are any) MM mods that will still work with MMR.
We know the color DMD will need to wait on them to come up with their solution, but what about other ones?
Trolls with lit eyes
Castle window light
Dragon

Mirror blades look pretty good in an MM.

#1092 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

A ton! I played as many as I could at PPE. I've played them at friend's houses. Played some at PHOF. Like I said - I appreciate them, but 1 or 2 games is enough for me

Well, that's enough for me. But If you'd like to stop by and try some of mine, you're more than welcome. Then we can do battle on METLE.

#1093 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You should play more competitive pinball. At that point you don't need music, deep modes or flashy DMD animations... you just need to be better than your opponents at putting the ball where it needs to go for the most points. THAT is what pinball is truly about. Competitive pinball is so much better on EMs and older SS games because people don't have to wait 20 minutes for their turn. This is the main reason I recently grabbed a Mystic and BMX when they popped up locally.

#1094 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I wonder how much this pin would have been if WOZ or Stern didn't create the new 8k price bracket.

There probably wouldn't even be a MMR if the others hadn't established an $8K pin market. Everyone (including PPS) knew there was a demand for a MM remake, but it wouldn't have been that profitable at a lower price.

#1095 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You should play more competitive pinball.

Nah, he should do what makes him happy, and so should you. It's great that you like competitive pinball and EMs. It's fine that he doesn't.

I love my Card Whiz EM, and it isn't because it's a good competitive game. It's because I find it fun to play, especially when I want to relax.

When I want to read about MMr, I come here. When I want to read debates about whether EMs are fun, I go elsewhere.

#1096 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Back on track.
Trolls with lit eyes
Castle window light
Dragon

I would like to hear some mods too... or even see some pics of them on here. Any pics of the above in a game would be great.

#1097 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You should play more competitive pinball.

No.

Quoted from metallik:

At that point you don't need music, deep modes or flashy DMD animations...

Sooo...you want me to take out all the things I enjoy? No.

Quoted from metallik:

you just need to be better than your opponents at putting the ball where it needs to go for the most points.

You can do that on modern-style games, too....but I have nothing to prove to anyone when playing pinball. I don't care to include sports-type rivalries in my geeky hobbies.

Quoted from metallik:

THAT is what pinball is truly about.

To you. To me, pinball is about enjoying the design/gameplay/theme/personality/music/lights/goals. Me vs. Machine. I don't play online video games either...I'm not interested in competing, I'm interested in the game experience.

Quoted from metallik:

Competitive pinball is so much better on EMs and older SS games because people don't have to wait 20 minutes for their turn.

Honestly, I don't really like waiting my turn even if it's a short balltime game like Tron. Throws off my momentum...I'd rather play my full 3 ball game in one go - then you can play.

Quoted from metallik:

This is the main reason I recently grabbed a Mystic and BMX when they popped up locally.

Congrats! Enjoy!

#1098 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Nah, he should do what makes him happy, and so should you. It's great that you like competitive pinball and EMs. It's fine that he doesn't.

Hey, if music and LEDs and DMDs are all he needs to stay happy with pinball right now, that's great. I was that way 10 years ago. The games themselves aren't enough after a while.. you need the social aspect, competitiveness.. and then EMs and SS games really shine. The straightforward rules and interesting playfield layouts are a breath of fresh air compared to the usual fan-layouts and recycled rulesets on modern games, and as I said before, you're not waiting forever for 3 opponents to get through their balls.

His loss, not mine

#1099 10 years ago

To whoever just dropped off the LE wait list I say thank you, sir. I just got in.

#1100 10 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

To whoever just dropped off the LE wait list I say thank you, sir. I just got in.

congrats!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.