(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 110.
#951 10 years ago

#953 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we do have a bunch of the wms Big Bang Bar stuff as wms had done some arrangement with capcom for bbb ...

Oh...you tease!!!! One can dream....

...can dreams come true?

#954 10 years ago

In for Wizard Blocks kit, assuming you are allowed to "remake" a game that was never formally produced.

Also in for MB, BBB and AFM remakes - but I need a schedule so I can get my wife on board with the idea of another $20k+ for NIB pins.

#955 10 years ago

I have major doubts that the huge board under the playfield will survive ... for a longer time.
Not speaking about 1 or 2 years ... But what might happen in 6 or 7 years?
Anyone who knows / restored or played a MM without the glass can imagine what I mean as soon as the Troll assemblies starting their work They work quite beastly in a original MM !
I have really doubts ....

#956 10 years ago

Thanks for the updates Rick

#957 10 years ago

I would drop a deposit today for a BBB. No doubt about it. #fingerscrossed

#958 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

or Wizard Blocks ... lol

Lol................Eye of the Tiger Rick, Eye of the Tiger, focus on the prize....................Monster Bash and AFM next.

#959 10 years ago

I am psyched.....and would be in line for bbb or mb

#960 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

just let me know what game you want to see the prices dip and then I will say we are making it ... lol

Kingpin or BBB. I would take Kingpin without any hesitation. What is there like 9 Kingpins?

#961 10 years ago

Sweet BBB and MB are just beatiful pieces of art. Stoked for these!

#962 10 years ago

If BBB is on the list, then I'm going to have to find a way to raise some capital and space.

#963 10 years ago

I'm all in for a BBB and MB!
But let's focus on the task at hand. MMRLE!
Those pics look great! Keep them coming!
This is my first NIB and want this machine like yesterday!
I'm hoping everything stays on track and they start shipping Q2 2014.
After that let's get the next great title in the works!
2 lines running! One for MMR's and One for ?

#964 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

yes, the electronics industry for many years has gone primarily surface mount. Also, boards today unlike 20 years ago have less failure components for the same functionality, etc. Additionally, it's probably easier to replace or exchange a board than to repair it ...

It looks like you're still using through hole components for many of the parts that are prone to failure. The driver transistors look like they are TO-220, only bolted to the PCB, which allows for better heat transfer than the vertical mounting method used on the old boards. There are still DIPs in various places. Plus, like you say, it's easier to replace a board (as long as replacements are available). Splitting the driver board into multiple smaller ones makes this approach even more realistic. If one transistor fails, you don't have to replace the entire power driver PCB any more.

#965 10 years ago

So.....is that really one HUGE green PCB in the center of the playfield, with two holes in it for the troll mechs? That looks like it would be a total PITA (and expensive) to replace instead of repair one SMT LED.....

The three driver boards are much smaller than expected, and look to be VERY modular... that's a good part at least!

#966 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Love the fact there is still a real knocker in the backbox.

It must be wireless, though.

This is only a joke, and they probably just haven't hooked it up yet.

#967 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So.....is that really one HUGE green PCB in the center of the playfield, with two holes in it for the troll mechs? That looks like it would be a total PITA (and expensive) to replace instead of repair one SMT LED.....
The three driver boards are much smaller than expected, and look to be VERY modular... that's a good part at least!

Drop the troll mechs, remove the driver PCBs, disconnect the cables, and unscrew the HUGE board. It doesn't seem all that bad to me. If you want to replace the SMT LED, you still can, though, it will take a bit more work than if those small, single LED board were sprinkled around everywhere.

Also, I just ran a quote (as a hypothetical) for a 16" x 30" two layer PCB with cutouts for the trolls, and it came to $41 each in quantity 100. That's without parts obviously. Compare that to the parts and labor for a bunch of wires, and I'm pretty sure this approach is less expensive.

#968 10 years ago

I'm no expert on the inner workings of a pinball machine but can someone out there tell me the design is better than
the Vacation America playfield pictured below. So we can put that comparison behind us for good.
I've got one of these MMRLE's on order and this comparison has been brought up before.

image-288.jpgimage-288.jpg
#969 10 years ago

Is it easy to change a lightbulb? I can't see them. Sorry if you addressed this already.

#970 10 years ago

Next, BBB would be great! Er, right AFTER AFM.....

#971 10 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Is it easy to change a lightbulb

They twist out. Very easy.

#972 10 years ago

fyi ... we are going thru the final throws of duplicate orders, etc, and as any LE's from the machines PPS has to sell come up the secret is that we go thru our list of people who sign up for standards (from www.planetarypinball.com) ... that is the primary 'wait list' so to speak ... so if you go there and fill in the info, that is primarily what we work from when something frees up.

rick

#973 10 years ago

Hi Rick. I'm formally asking right now to be put on the list for an AFM. (and one for Kevin at Skit-B)

#974 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

They twist out. Very easy.

pretty sure this is incorrect in reference to the led bulbs in this game.

#975 10 years ago

How many pinsiders does it take to change a light bulb?

#976 10 years ago

BBB would be an instant hit...Perhaps even bigger than MMLE as BBB has been the ultimate grail. While MM is a 10, BBB is an 11. Sign me up for a BBB.

#977 10 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Is it easy to change a lightbulb? I can't see them. Sorry if you addressed this already.

If they are SMDs, it's not easy, but it is possible. Steady solder hand required.

-Wes

#978 10 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

BBB would be an instant hit...Perhaps even bigger than MMLE as BBB has been the ultimate grail. While MM is a 10, BBB is an 11. Sign me up for a BBB.

The difference between those two is MM is a much better 'game' than BBB is. That said, I agree, I'd be in on a BBB.

-Wes

#979 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

How many pinsiders does it take to change a light bulb?

100....1 to change it, and 99 to bitch about the remake....

#980 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

100....1 to change it, and 99 to bitch about the remake....

Very true!

#981 10 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Having never played BBB, is it just an "11" because there are not many made? It's not ranked at the top.

#982 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Having never played BBB, is it just an "11" because there are not many made? It's not ranked at the top.

It's just a pisser to play! I couldn't stop playing it! AND, it's right up my alley as a sci-fi theme...

#983 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

It's just a pisser to play! I couldn't stop playing it! AND, it's right up my alley as a sci-fi theme...

Hence the reason you want AFM first.... I know you didn't make the 11 comment, just saying

#984 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Hence the reason you want AFM first....

Yes, I'd love an AFM and BBB. Those 2 machines and Scared Stiff is all I need....
....ok...and maybe Anne & the Asteriods....

#985 10 years ago

My preference would be MB or BBB after MM.

#986 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

It is! I played one this summer. It's wildly inappropriate for kids - luckily mine were concentrating on RFM. I can't say much about longevity and overall rules, but it was different with a cool theme and damn fun.

#987 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

It's wildly inappropriate for kids

Why? At the party I was at, the kids were playing it. Did I miss something on there? (Tube Dancer is mild)
........Oh yeah! I forgot to add Monster Bash to my want list....

#988 10 years ago

Not sure if this was posted here so I will repost from another thread....

Quoted from PPS:

guys ... I'm not really going to get 'into it' on this discussion, but here are a few late night comments:
- We always said we would not be directly building machines but we always said we will do what we can to enable the building of them, the timing last year when we started on this was right.
- Prices on MM's was staying very high and getting higher, so it was even more right to get try to get the pieces together to do this now. We had been trying to get a formula to move on something since acquiring the license, but we had other priorities (parts, etc).
- The license requires that the game look and play like original - no 'remake' will be identical - especially internally, whether it be ROHS, or chips not available, or just plain bad design that you have the opportunity to fix, so I think any remake would not have satisfied the 'exactness' requirement of some - so this decision got a little easier to do it the way we are doing it.
- We really do want to see these games in the hands of everyone that previously could not find one or buy one at a 'reasonable' price. So, for MM the price could have been higher given the astronomical prices that the game gets, but we just felt that this was the right price for the game, as well as obviously there is a bunch of startup and development cost - primarily with the electronics.
- We're just trying to do what we do, to get parts and enable games that leverage the license that we have, which we WMS/BLY created alot (not all) of the greatest games, and just want to continue and get the MM done.
- I'm sure there will be a few twists and turns along the way, so I'm sure some will delight in this, but it's part of getting things done, we're not really worried about that ... and if the project were to fall apart for any reason, we are doing what we can do to keep the customer getting stuck with the tab.
- Making repro 'stuff' is not simple, I think if anyone that has not tried to do so would, you would be amazed by the complexity of trying to get things right, even with prints, samples, etc. Progress would never happen if mistakes were not made ...
- Anyways, it's a really unique time that pinball has seen the resurgence that it has, so it's really nice to see some positive comments ..

#989 10 years ago

It's so weird to see the backbox be so empty with just a little board and a knocker in there. It just goes to show you how technology has changed over the years since the WPC-95 system was created. I also like the prospect of there being even more available parts for MM for years to come.

#990 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

It's so weird to see the backbox be so empty with just a little board and a knocker in there.

I still remember the first time I got a peek in the cab of a new machine...almost empty compared to the EM machines.

#991 10 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

BBB would be an instant hit...Perhaps even bigger than MMLE as BBB has been the ultimate grail. While MM is a 10, BBB is an 11.

The rarity of BBB drives its price. I don't think it would sell anything like MMR if it came up as a remake.

#992 10 years ago

I played a few games on BBB earlier this year. I probably need more time on it but I found it to just be OK. Theme is definitely cool though.

#993 10 years ago

I love the Ball Eye Trap and release thingy! (similar to the Skull Eyeball Drop from CSI)

#994 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Love the fact there is still a real knocker in the backbox.

with no wires yet.

#995 10 years ago

I like knockers with no wires! (feel free to post pix)

#996 10 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I'm no expert on the inner workings of a pinball machine but can someone out there tell me the design is better than the Vacation America playfield pictured below.

The less wires and interconnects the better from a troubleshooting / reliability standpoint.

So the MMr is NOT a better design than the Vacation America.

But, the MMr is still a better design than the original MM.

#997 10 years ago

Rick
I'm trying to buy a scared stiff, will you please say the next remake is a SS so It will bring down the price?
I'm in for a MMle Thanks Kevin D

#998 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

LEDs rarely burn out. Look at the 35 year old VCR you still have plugged in for some reason; it has been on 24/7 and the LEDs are still lit.

Even the #44 LEDs, when I open them to see why they "burned out", it is just the lamp wire is no longer soldered to the resistor, the LED itself is still good.

When the time comes to replace a burned out SMT LED, everyone will get their cherry broken and then post about their successes.

I'll bet the replace 5 of those driver transistors before a LED goes bad.

#999 10 years ago

yes, just fill in the blanks ... our part of making pinball more affordable!

"The next remake if there is one after MM will be _______ ", said by Planetary Pinball, 11/6/13 ... lol

#1000 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

yes, just fill in the blanks ... our part of making pinball more affordable!
"The next remake if there is one after MM will be ______ ", said by Planetary Pinball, 11/6/13 ... lol

I knew it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.