(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 110.
#851 10 years ago

Well, Rick did tell us pics were coming....

#852 10 years ago

This might be heresy, but is there any appetite out there for having an option for a manual shooter over the "big stoopid red button".

MM is an all time great game, no doubt. It would just be a little better with a manual shooter rod. I have no idea how big of a deal it would be to engineer this as an option, but MM with a manual shooter = awesome. MM with the button = I guess I'll press it to play one of the greatest games ever

#853 10 years ago

here you go..

77.jpg77.jpg

#854 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am scratching my head right now? I am guessing you use glue to fill in divet spot welding spots on lift bar? Then plate or powder. I am confused? What is the process for removing dimples on lift bar, so it does not look so bad when plated or powdered?

It's ok, the lockdown that pinball life sells is in two pieces so its never been spot welded and therefore doesn't have the dimples. You powder or plate the pieces apart. Then once the powder or plating is applied you use gorilla glue and a couple c clamps to fasten it. It works extremely well and has a fantastic clean look.

#855 10 years ago

I think you are alone on this as it makes absolutely no sense.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

but is there any appetite out there for having an option for a manual shooter over the "big stoopid red button".

#856 10 years ago

Absolutely, and based on what he said, they should be here today at the latest. I guess my only point was, there was more to think about for him than just snapping a few pics and throwing them up on Pinside. He has other things to consider and maybe that's the delay.

Quoted from frolic:

Well, Rick did tell us pics were coming....

#857 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Quite possibly

I am in the possibly small camp that thinks that taking the manual plunger away makes for a less skillful and interesting game.

On a game with a manual plunge if you fire the ball off and it drains within seconds you know who's fault it is... yours. You gave the ball the initial momentum, you set it on its way, and you got a result that was not to your liking. Too bad.

With a "Press a button" launcher you press a button and try to get control before the game screws you; as an added minus the ball is launched with nearlty the exact same force each time. That seems less interesting to me.

I find it unlikely this would be an ordering option, but what the heck. For my 8K it can't hurt to ask.

#858 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Troll Bombs.

#859 10 years ago

Doh; I admit I had forgotten about that... Oh well. I guess you would need further mods like an AC/DC style lock down bar and at that point I am probably in crazy town

Population me... and the guy from post #4 on this thread...

http://rgparchive-removed.com/rgpforum/showthread.php?t=108351

Honestly this would make the game "better" IMO, but I can't see it happening.

#860 10 years ago

Looks like the board set they are going to use is the same as JJP, it is at the very least the same "board model"(most stuff in the lower cabinet, single small board in upper cabinet). Am I off base here?

#861 10 years ago
Quoted from scasey:

Looks like the board set they are going to use is the same as JJP, it is at the very least the same "board model"(most stuff in the lower cabinet, single small board in upper cabinet). Am I off base here?

Naw you're on the money. A 5" squared CPU board in the head and the driver boards in the bottom cabinet (closer to the components they control) is the way it's been stated.

#862 10 years ago

The placement and relative size of the boards may be similar, but it is far from the same board set. JJP is PC based, and the MMR pictures we've seen almost certainly show a BeagleBone Black, which uses an embedded ARM processor. It's more like the processor in a smartphone than a PC.

The pictures of the driver boards are just too blurry to make anything out.

#863 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

Are you seriously implying that having his MM on route is a bad thing?

Not at all. I was just excited to see there was a true HUO one out there. I didn't think there were any.

#864 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Doh; I admit I had forgotten about that... Oh well. I guess you would need further mods like an AC/DC style lock down bar and at that point I am probably in crazy town
Population me... and the guy from post #4 on this thread...
http://rgparchive-removed.com/rgpforum/showthread.php?t=108351
Honestly this would make the game "better" IMO, but I can't see it happening.

I agree. I don't like the buttons for plunging. Maybe they make the BOM cheaper...or Williams was trying to seem more modern.

#865 10 years ago
Quoted from scasey:

Looks like the board set they are going to use is the same as JJP

No.

Little board to run things in the head.

Three driver boards ( identical, interchangeable ) mounted under the playfield. ( with protection over them so nothing can get though the playfield and get on top of them ).

LTG : )

#866 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Three driver boards ( identical, interchangeable )

Sounds like a great idea!

#867 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

This might be heresy, but is there any appetite out there for having an option for a manual shooter over the "big stoopid red button".

I doubt Roger Sharpe would sign off on that big of a change, especially one you can see.

#868 10 years ago

I asked this before, but what are the plusses of getting rid of a matrix system.

#869 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
Little board to run things in the head.
Three driver boards ( identical, interchangeable ) mounted under the playfield. ( with protection over them so nothing can get though the playfield and get on top of them ).

It's going to be interesting to see how big these driver boards are and how they're mounted. You sure as hell don't want to have to remove a driver board to get to lamp/coils/switches that might be mounted between the board and the playfield (you sure better not have to... that would probably be a show stopper for me). They're going to have to be in spots where there isn't much there and that's a hard thing on that playfield...

Jaz

#870 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I asked this before, but what are the plusses of getting rid of a matrix system.

Well, the pluses of USING a matrix system are less outputs required on the processor/system at the expense of higher overhead. This reduces the amount of drive circuits needed in things like lamps but adds complexity. Also, the matrix system reduces the number/amount of wires.

So, the advantage of NOT using a matrix system would be one circuit for one output or input. Easier to diagnose what is going on. But, there is more wires needed for this.

Jaz

#871 10 years ago

I may be delusional but maybe Rick has been absent from this thread because he's busy sorting through the hundreds of amazing high resolution MMR LE photos he received and trying to decide which ones to post...

#872 10 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

big these driver boards are and how they're mounted

In my custom game, and not saying it is the same, the boards are about 3"x8" and are mounted on brackets perpendicular to the playfield. I would not see why the boards in this case would be any bigger. I also placed them where there is the least amount of under playfield items, but also central to the items they were driving, to minimize wire distances.

#873 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I agree. I don't like the buttons for plunging. Maybe they make the BOM cheaper...or Williams was trying to seem more modern.

It seems like all games with a launch button do so for skill shot reasons. MM - the only skill shot is the top lanes - so there's no reason for a light plunge. However on CV (similar era), the skill shot is a target that can only be hit with a skillful plunge.

#874 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

That is a fact it is cheaper to put in launch button than a plunger assembly. I would guess that was the only reason for doing it as well. There's already a coil in place in the shooter lane, so the plunger assembly could be considered redundant (good for reliability to plunge a ball, higher cost).

#875 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

MM - the only skill shot is the top lanes - so there's no reason for a light plunge.

I believe you can also hold left flipper down while plunging to send it around the loop for a super skill shot as well.

#876 10 years ago

Will the LED brightness on the inserts be adjustable? I've seen a few MM's with LED's and the brightness kind of overwhelmed the beautiful playfield artwork.

#877 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I believe you can also hold left flipper down while plunging to send it around the loop for a super skill shot as well.

Yes, super skill shot by holding the left flipper down sends the ball through the loop and requires an immediate (lit) shot up ramps, loops, catapult, etc. If you make it, hurry up at the castle lights. In my opinion this is really the only skill shot you should be making.

#878 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's still yet to be seen what tech PPS is going to use as their alternative, if it will be like JJPs or a different style of bus system.

I *think* JJP uses a shift register style system for their LEDs. I don't have a WoZ and have never seen one, so I am going off my own conjecture based on what I've seen said here on Pinside.

Matrices have an inherent "scanning" problem. To activate a node in a matrix, the matrix has to step through the columns or rows depending on which way you make it move. For example, it sets all the bits in the matrix rows, then powers up Column 1. Then, it turns off Column 1, sets all the bits in the rows for col. 2, and then turns on column 2 briefly. Repeat over and over for every column in the matrix, looping back to col. 1 when you reach the end.

Depending on the speed of your clock, that scanning can cause a visible effect in lights.

Same is true for switch matrices. The processor has to scan through the matrix to see if a switch has been hit. It checks all of column 1, then 2, then 3, etc.... If a switch gets activated and deactived in column 1 while it's checking other columns, the switch hit gets missed. Luckily with pinball, switches stay "pressed" long enough for way more than 1 cycle of the scanning process, so switch hits don't really get missed.

A bus system ensures that everything gets it's rightful chance to communicate back to the processor.

Does that help?

#879 10 years ago

math copy.jpgmath copy.jpg
#880 10 years ago

i-was-told-there-would-be-no-math.jpgi-was-told-there-would-be-no-math.jpg

#881 10 years ago

Now I understand......

#882 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

math copy.jpg 88 KB

Quoted from indypinhead:

Now I understand......

I like to think I am good at math, but when letters start replacing numbers in equations....you can throw it out the window

#883 10 years ago

That answers my question. Just like matrices were used to eliminate wires on pinball machines, busses have been used on automobiles to do the same. The only problem being that they have now added wires for functions that never really needed them. Like using the cars PCM to activate the horn.

#884 10 years ago

Whaaa?

Killing-Them-Softly-Frankie-Russell-71.jpgKilling-Them-Softly-Frankie-Russell-71.jpg
#885 10 years ago

Shooter rod or Dragon on right ramp, Brian Eddy went with the dragon,

#886 10 years ago

PPS / Rick - Quick question. Can you please post some pictures of MMR or explain the reason for the delay in posting them? Thanks!

#887 10 years ago

Maybe he's still sick. He has probably been under a bit of stress lately, I'd imagine.

#888 10 years ago

Rick is busy at his office working on pending MMRLE orders.

image-337.jpgimage-337.jpg
#889 10 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Yes, super skill shot by holding the left flipper down sends the ball through the loop and requires an immediate (lit) shot up ramps, loops, catapult, etc. If you make it, hurry up at the castle lights. In my opinion this is really the only skill shot you should be making.

This is, IMO, the greatest skill shot sequence in the history of pinball. Just one of many charms of the best pinball machine ever made.

#890 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Shooter rod or Dragon on right ramp, Brian Eddy went with the dragon,

I was not aware of this, and for location play he made the right call.

Buying one for my house, I would gladly pay a bit more for the shooter rod...

#891 10 years ago

fyi ... a couple of pictures from today, will get more as I can get them from the team. Remember, this is the prototype - things may change (primarily the electronics, revisions, rearranging, etc). The game is fully up and running and runs original WMS code. The top and bottom of playfield other than the electronics system is basically 'original' parts constructed as they were, the cabinet is a 'new' MM cabinet from WMS prints.Madness pf.jpgMadness pf.jpgMadness bb.jpgMadness bb.jpg

#892 10 years ago

Wow!

#893 10 years ago

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!
More! More!

#894 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

a couple of pictures from today,

WOW. Looking mighty impressive Rick, thank you.

#895 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

WOW. Looking mighty impressive Rick, thank you.

Not bad for a refake huh??
It's gonna be GREAT!!!!!

#896 10 years ago

Way less wires than a Ford Fusion!

#897 10 years ago

I do like less wires. Looks good so far.

#898 10 years ago

less wires...tastes great!

#899 10 years ago

Love the fact there is still a real knocker in the backbox.

#900 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Not bad for a refake huh??

Not bad, not bad at all.

I can't wait to get my fingers in one of these.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.