(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 110.
#751 10 years ago
Quoted from W1ked:

Rick, hopefully you can get those pictures up so we can all have a look. Of course things might change when Williams signs off on it but this will ease a few people in the meantime.
I will be putting on an original translite and speaker panel etc but I wouldn't like to see any PPS logo's anywhere on the game. Well on the outside anyway. If it's an exact remake of the original then that's what it should be (less Williams logo's).
Could we get the game number plate 'loose' and we can install it where we like?

just buy an original if you want one so bad.

#752 10 years ago
Quoted from W1ked:

I will be putting on an original translite and speaker panel etc but I wouldn't like to see any PPS logo's anywhere on the game. Well on the outside anyway. If it's an exact remake of the original then that's what it should be (less Williams logo's).

I'm assuming that you ordered yours with the standard trim, not the gold trim, since you're a "purist"?

#753 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Also a lot of CC's (at least mine) double your warranty period. Pinball machines generally have small warranty periods anyways so doubling that doesn't do much.

Typically no warranty doubling on commercial equipment. Check your CC's official policy, but generally no dice on something like a pinball machine.

#754 10 years ago
Quoted from Ax:

I'm thinking P-ROC like here.

P-ROC has hardware interfaces to Williams and Stern boards (and their own boards). Won't work with this unless that interface gets created, which won't happen. You could always completely re-wire the game to use one of the other board sets, as well as re-create ALL of the code, oh, and then you have to be careful with what you do with it, so you don't violate the copywrite of the sounds, images, etc. So, bottom line, never going to happen.

#755 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

P-ROC has hardware interfaces to Williams and Stern boards (and their own boards). Won't work with this unless that interface gets created, which won't happen. You could always completely re-wire the game to use one of the other board sets, as well as re-create ALL of the code, oh, and then you have to be careful with what you do with it, so you don't violate the copywrite of the sounds, images, etc. So, bottom line, never going to happen.

Sooooooo.....
image-563.jpgimage-563.jpg

#756 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm assuming that you ordered yours with the standard trim, not the gold trim, since you're a "purist"?

I heard PPS is listening to their purist customer base and is selling an option that will make the pin smell like it spent 15 years in a bar.

#757 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

P-ROC has hardware interfaces to Williams and Stern boards (and their own boards). Won't work with this unless that interface gets created, which won't happen.

Why do you say it won't happen? If PPS starts pumping out thousands of games using these new boards, wouldn't it be in the best ineterest of the P-ROC guys to make it compatible at some point?

#758 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Why do you say it won't happen? If PPS starts pumping out thousands of games using these new boards, wouldn't it be in the best ineterest of the P-ROC guys to make it compatible at some point?

There would need to be a lot of machines produced to go through that effort,, and of course no one has seen the details of board yet to know what would be involved, and it would likely be a very different interface needed vs the Stern and Williams interfaces. In addition, the guy behind the hardware is trying to get his own pinball company up and running, so doing this would not be a high priority for him, by any stretch. Setting aside that challenge. Lets say that happened and you went through all of the trouble to totally re-create the rules from scratch. Figured out how to get all of the sound and the dots. What then? While you could use what you have done for your personal use, you cant commercialize what you have done, given the copyright material involved, unless PPS and Williams let you, which Rick has said, is not going to happen. Even if you don't do it for money, just distributing it could still get you into hot water. I have no doubt Rick and Williams are going to be focused on protecting their assets, especially on any machine that is desirable enough for a remake. JMHO

#759 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Every time somebody says "never" in regard to a MM remake, they turn out to be wrong.

#761 10 years ago

Bump -

Hey Rick - You said you would post some higher resolution, more detailed pictures once you figured out how to get that done. Where do you stand with that? Can you tell us when that might happen?

Personally, I'm mainly looking to see how the bottom of the playfield is put together. While your manufacturer has a good reputation building pieces and parts, they DON'T have a good reputation building pinball machines. Seeing how the game is actually put together should increase my confidence.

Thanks,
Jaz

#762 10 years ago

Rick (if you're still reading this),

I have some questions regarding the deposit and exactly when it becomes non refundable. You stated at Expo we can get a refund until Williams approves the game. From the sound of things, Williams approval of the game means it's done.

Is there going to be a gap between approval and making those deposits non refundable to give us a chance to read hands on reviews etc? Are you going to make the game very available to the community to play and test so that we have all the info we need before we commit? Any idea on how that is going to be handled?

Once the game is final, I would greatly appreciate some 3rd party reviews preferably by popular pinball people regarding the look, feel and play of the game, before our $1,000 is non refundable.

Thanks.

#763 10 years ago

Hi Rick. I know this is a crazy request, but I'm gonna ask anyway. There are a number of people looking to buy or restore machines. Many are waiting to see what happens. If you could give us an indication of what the next machine or two would be, that would free many of us up to figure out our spending for the next year or so. If AFM is next then my search is over. Can ya possibly throw us a bone here?
Thanks again for hangin' with us!

#764 10 years ago

What he said^^^^

#765 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree, Brian but the question(s) then become: Who is going to volunteer hundreds of hours writing the code? Will it be legal? Will it be public domain? How different will it be from the original code? Many other associated questions here.

I like the idea but see way too many stumbling blocks and long ways down the road.

Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#766 10 years ago

No updates from PPS in over 2 days and still no photos ?

#767 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hi Rick. I know this is a crazy request, but I'm gonna ask anyway. There are a number of people looking to buy or restore machines. Many are waiting to see what happens. If you could give us an indication of what the next machine or two would be, that would free many of us up to figure out our spending for the next year or so. If AFM is next then my search is over. Can ya possibly throw us a bone here?
Thanks again for hangin' with us!

Lift the kimono!!

#768 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Thanks again for hangin' with us

Maybe there is no guarantee of a second title, unless the first one takes off. And seeing as how MM is their first game and they got get em sold, I can't image them saying anything that could hurt their potential sales.

#769 10 years ago

Guys ... sorry I'm back, caught a bad cold and just had energy to catch try to catch up on orders, etc. Doug Duba was out of town most of this week and just got off the phone and he said he would be in this weekend to take some clearer pictures (that what has been seen) ... as soon as I get them I will put them up.

rick

#770 10 years ago

The 'official' statement is that "we are currently focused on the MMR and any future projects beyond that are purely speculation at this point" ... but good speculation!

#771 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The 'official' statement is that "we are currently focused on the MMR and any future projects beyond that are purely speculation at this point" ... but good speculation!

Rick, you are awesome!! Make MMr a quality machine and you'll have me as a customer for every machine you may make.

#772 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

are purely speculation at this point" ... but good speculation!

Thanks! I 'get it'

#773 10 years ago

Will we have a chance to read reviews and hands on reports by the pinball community before we have to commit our $1K deposits?

#774 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

any future projects beyond that are purely speculation at this point" ... but good speculation!

Bring on CC and AFM. Fingers crossed for BBB.

#775 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

sorry I'm back, caught a bad cold

Hope you are feeling better Rick !
LTG : )

#776 10 years ago

I hope you're getting better Rick. I had a touch of something last week myself. Cough, cough. And I rarely get ill. Nasty stuff.

Anyway, I was a little curious, correct me if I'm wrong, but by eliminating the switch or lamp matrix, doesn't that increase the number of wires and connectors that go to the boards?

#777 10 years ago

There will be more information and more reviews of people playing the game, as there has already been posted. I'm sure up until the time of wms approval as well as afterward. It's not exactly top secret ...

#778 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I'm sure up until the time of wms approval as well as afterward.

Any idea on when the decision will be made by WMS to approve or not?

#779 10 years ago
Quoted from P42Hogger:

Rick, you are awesome!! Make MMr a quality machine and you'll have me as a customer for every machine you may make.

+1000

#780 10 years ago

As for WMS approval, we've always said before end of the year ... could be sooner, that's the goal. We just want to make the game 'right' as we would like to delight Roger Sharpe who is our interface for WMS. So far reports are that the game is playing really well, and the team is looking for any gameplay anomalies, etc ... but so far so good.

rick

#781 10 years ago

Thanks rick! I really appreciate your attitude and honesty in this thread, especially after it derailed for a few pages. Can't wait to get this machine in my home!

#782 10 years ago

Thanks Rick, love the updates...cant wait to play the game!

#783 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I paid my deposit on the announcement day for an LE and have chosen the Gold trim at the moment but I can change my mind up until Williams approves the game and we all see the pictures etc.

#784 10 years ago
Quoted from W1ked:

I paid my deposit on the announcement day for an LE and have chosen the Gold trim at the moment but I can change my mind up until Williams approves the game and we all see the pictures etc.

I think Rick already knows that if the trim is powder coated gold everyone will be calling him and bitching about it. We all know gold power coat looks like ass and shouldn't even be considered an option.

It has to be plated.

#785 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

I think Rick already knows that if the trim is powder coated gold everyone will be calling him and bitching about it. We all know gold power coat looks like ass and shouldn't even be considered an option.

It has to be plated.

I agree...powercoat gold is butt-ugly.

#786 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

It has to be plated.

+++1 on that one!

#787 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

It has to be plated.

Yes. What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is correct, plated please!

#788 10 years ago

Getting pics of this thing is like pulling teeth

#789 10 years ago

To each his own but my experience with gold plated is nothing to brag about. It chips or scars easily, is very noticeable afterward and I'm unaware of a sufficient home remedy. My experience is based on Stern only. *I'm not bashing here, just saying*

Unless I hear something to change my mind I'll be very happy with standard trim.

Kim

#790 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Getting pics of this thing is like pulling teeth

Where's the video of the laser projector? It's not like it's ANY different with any other company.

I'd still like to know about the question that was asked earlier about the refundable period...are we going to see concrete stuff after it's approved but before it becomes non-refundable? Will there be any kind of "grace period" so to speak?

*edit* Why can't the gold trim be plated, then a clear powder put on it for protection?

#791 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Where's the video of the laser projector? It's not like it's ANY different with any other company.
I'd still like to know about the question that was asked earlier about the refundable period...are we going to see concrete stuff after it's approved but before it becomes non-refundable? Will there be any kind of "grace period" so to speak?

This was addressed above:

"Deposit is refundable before WMS Approval (moving us into production) on the game - this was stated to be expected by end of the year, hopefully sooner - production wants/needs to know 'firm' orders to know how many to produce. We will give notice that this happened and then I expect we expect to have any cancellations within a small number of days which we will specify."

#792 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

To each his own but my experience with gold plated is nothing to brag about. It chips or scars easily, is very noticeable afterward and I'm unaware of a sufficient home remedy. My experience is based on Stern only. *I'm not bashing here, just saying*
Unless I hear something to change my mind I'll be very happy with standard trim.
Kim

What is the difference between chrome and gold plating? Same dipping process basically isn't it? It has to be done correctly and Stern finds someone that is the cheapest to do it. I had issues with chrome on Tron LE and it took forever to get it replaced. I think if done correctly, it should last. No coating is going to resist scratches.

#793 10 years ago

Jeez! How long does it take to take a few pics of this machine.

#794 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Guys ... sorry I'm back, caught a bad cold and just had energy to catch try to catch up on orders, etc. Doug Duba was out of town most of this week and just got off the phone and he said he would be in this weekend to take some clearer pictures (that what has been seen) ... as soon as I get them I will put them up.
rick

I think the photo point was made clear here by Rick, at some point this weekend there should be some clear photos taken and posted. It's only Saturday morning give them a chance to wake up smell the coffee, greet their kids, talk with their spouses and maybe have some honeys do's to do and then head out to take some shots.

Deep breaths in and out, in and out...... ahhhh! I'm sure photos will be posted soon.

#795 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

What is the difference between chrome and gold plating? Same dipping process basically isn't it? It has to be done correctly and Stern finds someone that is the cheapest to do it. I had issues with chrome on TRON LE and it took forever to get it replaced. I think if done correctly, it should last. No coating is going to resist scratches.

Agreed and I think some of the high end retailers probably have good stuff albeit expensive. So you can take my post with a grain of salt...

The problem with the scratching on the Stern gold plating was the black metal underneath. It sticks out like a sore thumb. YMMV

Kim

#796 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This was addressed above:
"Deposit is refundable before WMS Approval (moving us into production) on the game - this was stated to be expected by end of the year, hopefully sooner - production wants/needs to know 'firm' orders to know how many to produce. We will give notice that this happened and then I expect we expect to have any cancellations within a small number of days which we will specify."

Okay, thanks. Guess I missed the second part of that. Thumbs up for slapping me around.

#797 10 years ago

How much more is brass than gold plating? Just wondering...

#798 10 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

How much more is brass than gold plating? Just wondering...

Never seen any pinball gold plated. It's all brass plated that I know of.
As far as brass over gold powdercoat theres no question Brass is better.
Gold powdercoat looks like crap. I'm just not a fan. I know Back alley does it and I like everything he does but that.

#799 10 years ago

Yeesh, I'd be less concerned about the hubcaps and hood emblem than the engine and transmission!

#800 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Yeesh, I'd be less concerned about the hubcaps and hood emblem than the engine and transmission!

We already know the transmission is good
The hubcaps and hood emblem should be equally as good. Don't cheap out there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.99
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.