(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 110.
#601 10 years ago

I just hope all these "little" requests and suggestions everyone is nit picking isn't going to delay the game. Rick, at some point you just have to say enough is enough and just start production and shipping.

#602 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Okay, so assume the boards turn out to be crap. Nothing preventing someone from sourcing the boardset and installing it instead of the remake boards, installing lamp sockets along the way, a plasma or colorDMD, creating a wire harness, and installing cable holders.
You'd still make out with an effectively NIB MM for thousands less than what prices have been recently.

For 8 grand, they better not be crap.

#603 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

For $8,000 they won't be crap PPS should have plenty of cash for BOM
They are not going to shoot themselves in the foot here guys.

#604 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

For $8,000 they won't be crap PPS should have plenty of cash for BOM
They are not going to shoot themselves in the foot here guys.

Well how about gold plating instead of cheap powder coating for 8k then? That's really all I want, the rest is ok with me.

#605 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'm not worried about it, I'm JUST SAYING...if someone WANTED TO..... =P

#606 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Okay, so assume the boards turn out to be crap. Nothing preventing someone from sourcing the boardset and installing it instead of the remake boards, installing lamp sockets along the way, a plasma or colorDMD, creating a wire harness, and installing cable holders.

I appreciate your enthusism for this project. But what you rattled off there to convert from the PPS proprietary boardset model back to the WMS designed boards would be beyond the abilities of 99.9% of the people that will be buying these games. And I will say that the cost to source all the parts to do it would easily bring the overall cost of ownership on these games into the realm of a nice original if that did become a necessity.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm thrilled that Rick and his partner are doing these runs. I don't want a MM or an AFM because I already have nice examples of those, but I could be seriously tempted by a fresh, minty FH or something else like that which they might eventually get around to making. I just think everyone needs to realize the hardware driving these games will be completely untested and are being designed and built by a company with not a great track record in this area. They also will be designed in a way that the average "shadetree mechanic" repair guy will not be able to work on the boards.

#607 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Well how about gold plating instead of cheap powder coating for 8k then? That's really all I want, the rest is ok with me.

So the fact that you can now get a MM for under 10K now isn't enough. Cause really that's all I want. The fact that they are able to do this should make people happy. Incredible how ungrateful people are. People bitching about the boards, lights and finishes. At least they agreed to do the double clear on all of them to stop some of the complaining.

#608 10 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

You clearly didn't read the responses by PPS. All playfield parts are interchangeable. Aside from board sets and wiring harness, everything is identical. This was asked and answered. Additionally answered in this thread was the fact that yes Chicago is designing the boards.

I was in the room when he made his annoucement. But when you say "aside from board sets and wiring harness" I would equate that as the same as someone making a reproduction of an automobile where everything will be the same as the original, EXCEPT for the engine and transmission. And oh yea, the reproduction car will be using a completely untested engine and transmission designed and built by a company with no experience, and the car will be modified in significant ways to make it difficult or expensive to drop in any other replacement engine or transmission other than that which ships in the car.

I really do hope this all turns out great for everyone, I really do. But the pictures I saw of those redesigned boards hanging off the bottom of the playfield all I could think was "so that is what happened to all those leftover parts when VA flopped...

#609 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

But the pictures I saw of those redesigned boards hanging off the bottom of the playfield all I could think was "so that is what happened to all those leftover parts when VA flopped...

You saw three driverboards, interchangeable. Designed and built for this.

I don't think they were left over.

LTG : )

#610 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I was in the room when he made his annoucement. But when you say "aside from board sets and wiring harness" I would equate that as the same as someone making a reproduction of an automobile where everything will be the same as the original, EXCEPT for the engine and transmission. And oh yea, the reproduction car will be using a completely untested engine and transmission designed and built by a company with no experience, and the car will be modified in significant ways to make it difficult or expensive to drop in any other replacement engine or transmission other than that which ships in the car.
I really do hope this all turns out great for everyone, I really do. But the pictures I saw of those redesigned boards hanging off the bottom of the playfield all I could think was "so that is what happened to all those leftover parts when VA flopped...

I find that interesting that these comments are coming from a William's Medieval Madness owner.
Just saying.

#611 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Yeah, you're assuming a lot here.

#612 10 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I find that interesting that these comments are coming from a William's Medieval Madness owner.Just saying.

I've never hid that fact. But more importantly, my comments come from someone that is currently batting 1000 on his MM remake predictions.

Let me state it again, I hope this project flies and is a wild success. I just think for something that will cost 2.5 times what the original did it should be very well built, and anything that has to be redesigned should be done in a way to make them last longer, or be more servicable. What I saw just smacked of "cheaper".

#613 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't understand why everyone is all up in arms over the logo. Why would one care if the game looks exactly the same, when it clearly isn't? It's not like it will add value or increase its collectibility. It's a remake, and even if it had the Williams logo, it would still not be an original.

Exactly! If I wanted an old Williams MM for $10k plus I'd buy one! I want a NIB MM for $8k, so I'm buying a PPS!

#614 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

So the fact that you can now get a MM for under 10K now isn't enough. Cause really that's all I want.

Ok so that's all you want and and that's what you're getting. So stop your bit@hing then. You're complaining about everyone complaining. To some people 8k is a lot of money and they just want to make sure the components and finishes will be up to par and reliable. If you want to throw your money blindly at whatever you want, go ahead. Some people want to know how the product they are buying is made and what it is made from and finished with. Don't they have that right?

#615 10 years ago

Hi Rick,

It has been stated that the cabinets and playfields will be built by Churchill and the machines will be assembled by Chicago Gaming. That much we know.

Earlier in this thread when you were asked who would manufacture the parts you didn't already have, you stated that this was information you would not disclose.

I have heard that you may be outsourcing the manufacture of parts for this machine to a company or companies in
China. Is that something you can confirm or deny? And if so, which parts? Or is that something else you won't disclose.

As a buyer of one of your machines, with the stated warrantee, that is information that I would really like to know.

#616 10 years ago

There is a difference between inquiring about how the pin will be built and saying I want this on it, I want that on it. I understand you ask a lot of questions, usually posts about what pins people like better so that you don't buy the wrong pin or how your going to cancel your order on a pin. I am not too worried about it because there will be a lot of these remakes out there before I get mine so there will be a lot of info coming to light about it. If i don't like what I hear i will not buy it. Starburst will also have one on the floor so it can be played before you get it.

I find it funny your telling me to stop bitching when I rarely post. And looking at a lot of your posts that is exactly what your doing. God forbid they change a VUK on this remake.

#617 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

God forbid they change a VUK on this remake.

I'm not the only one that didn't like the VUK change, some people even cancelled their orders over it, which is what I was going to do until I saw how beautiful it was . Anyway that's what these forums are for, asking questions and getting answers. I'm a newb so I ask a lot of questions and get a lot of answers, that's why I love this forum so much. One day I will be an expert like you and be able to throw my money at pins without asking questions, like Avengers and WOZ, but until I become an expert like you I will run all my questions past you to make sure they are ok first.

#619 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have heard that you may be outsourcing the manufacture of parts for this machine to companies in
China. Is that something you can confirm or deny? And if so, which parts? Or is that something else you won't disclose.

We've been getting pinball parts from China for some time from the various parts places.

Does it matter, if they are made good ?

#620 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't understand why everyone is all up in arms over the logo. Why would one care if the game looks exactly the same, when it clearly isn't?

Maybe I'm a little quirky, but I would want everything to be spot on (from a visual standpoint), including the logo. You get enough of these little changes in the mix and eventually you have something that doesn't feel/look quite right (IMHO).

#621 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

But what you rattled off there to convert from the PPS proprietary boardset model back to the WMS designed boards would be beyond the abilities of 99.9% of the people that will be buying these games. And I will say that the cost to source all the parts to do it would easily bring the overall cost of ownership on these games into the realm of a nice original if that did become a necessity.

How is any of that my problem? I said it was POSSIBLE. Not that it was EASY. I'm capable of it. I've been in the hobby 2.5 years with no prior soldering, electronics, or crimping knowledge or skills at all. Will I personally do it? I very seriously doubt it.

If you have 8k to buy one of these, you certainly have the MONEY to buy the tools to learn all of this. And unless you've got 8k to drop on something like this in the first place, it's a safe bet to say that you could probably spend the time to learn it...if you wanted to. Laziness isn't really an applicable excuse here.

Gonna drop back to just monitoring the thread now, there's still one legitimate question that I haven't seen answered yet, and I was trying to not contribute to cluttering the thread any more. Clearly I failed.

#622 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Does it matter, if they are made good ?

Not if they are good, but I have seen many examples of bad craftsmanship from China, especially where welding may be required, like wireforms and ball guides.

#623 10 years ago

Please take the complaints and hijacks to some other thread.

This one is for PPS to provide info about the remake, not for people to rehash all the stuff in the other thirty gazillion MMR threads.

#624 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

but I have seen many examples of bad craftsmanship from China, especially where welding may be required, like wireforms and ball guides.

Thankfully American parts producers have never done that.

I don't think PPS would put any substandard parts into this endeavor. No matter where the parts are made.

#625 10 years ago

God forbid any of us Americans build something with parts made in China, that's unheard of!

#626 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thankfully American parts producers have never done that.

Nope. I just would like to know the country of origin of anything I purchase. i really don't know where the other manufacturers get their parts either, I just assumed they made most everything at their factories.

#627 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just assumed they made most everything at their factories.

Even Williams didn't do that. Lots of sub contractors ( 90 + ) and Williams assembled the pieces/parts.

#628 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Even Williams didn't do that. Lots of sub contractors ( 90 + ) and Williams assembled the pieces/parts.

You know a lot more about it than I would. I'm just trying to get an insight into a major purchase for me, and hope that it will stay together as long as the original has, or if it will fall apart in 6 months like the patio set I bought from China.

#629 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm just trying to get an insight into a major purchase for me, and hope that it will stay together as long as the original has,

Fully understood.

I want you to get a great game too !

One that you can be proud of for many years.

#630 10 years ago

That's what I'm after!

#631 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm just trying to get an insight into a major purchase

I might add. Bay Area Amusements/Planetary Pinball Supply parts. They are pretty good at that already. New small board to run it - looks promising. Three driver boards - running everything - identical and interchangeable. Churchill Cabinets, and playfields. Updated artwork on playfield and cabinet. LED boards. Roger Sharpe playing it and things have to be exact to original, the way it plays, before he okays it. And a few other things going on to.

I haven't seen one thing that any one purchasing it should be worried about.

And I'm rather excited by all of it, how it came to be, and what is happening. I never thought I'd see it, but it's coming.

Disclaimer : I have been involved with Bay Area Tech Support for some years on their help desk.

#632 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I might add. Bay Area Amusements/Planetary Pinball Supply parts. They are pretty good at that already. New small board to run it - looks promising. Three driver boards - running everything - identical and interchangeable. Churchill Cabinets, and playfields. Updated artwork on playfield and cabinet. LED boards. Roger Sharpe playing it and things have to be exact to original before he okays it. And a few other things going on to.
I haven't seen one thing that any one purchasing it should be worried about.
And I'm rather excited by all of it, how it came to be, and what is happening. I never thought I'd see it, but it's coming.
Disclaimer : I have been involved with Bay Area Tech Support for some years on their help desk.

Like always Lloyd, you're the voice of reason above all others. Glad your around!

#633 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

God forbid any of us Americans build something with parts made in China, that's unheard of!

If China owns the US, are Chinese parts really imports?

#634 10 years ago

ok, the signal to noise ratio on this thread is increasing but I've looked thru the last page or two today and find some of the questions.

- game numbers have no correlation to the sequence of when the games are built.
- we are debating a phone jack - so maybe yes, maybe no ... game will have capability, it's mainly harness.
- when we put a queue together you will know roughly where you are, but obviously that will be adjusted to coordinate bulk shipments, etc.
- the order will be a result of many merged lists between multiple distributors, so we will then create a list, there will be a rough idea of where in the list someone is - but it will a rough idea
- we make parts wherever we make parts, we don't disclose who or where (same as I expect the 'other' game mfgs ... lol). I would say the bulk of the parts come from chicago area as logistically there's no advantage from offshore. You can keep asking and you will get the same answer. I think you would be surprised at what parts come from offshort in other games ... where do LED's come from, pinball doors, etc?
- do you guys think that anyone wants to build an inferior product that you get to deal with time and energy with unhappy customers? I think that works if you are in this for the short term, but everyone involve has been in this industry for a long time. There are bad suppliers in the US just as there are in China - oy.

#635 10 years ago

I'm sure you will get the best parts you can for this project.

#636 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

ok, the signal to noise ratio on this thread is increasing but I've looked thru the last page or two today and find some of the questions.
- game numbers have no correlation to the sequence of when the games are built.
- we are debating a phone jack - so maybe yes, maybe no ... game will have capability, it's mainly harness.
- when we put a queue together you will know roughly where you are, but obviously that will be adjusted to coordinate bulk shipments, etc.
- the order will be a result of many merged lists between multiple distributors, so we will then create a list, there will be a rough idea of where in the list someone is - but it will a rough idea
- we make parts wherever we make parts, we don't disclose who or where (same as I expect the 'other' game mfgs ... lol). I would say the bulk of the parts come from chicago area as logistically there's no advantage from offshore. You can keep asking and you will get the same answer. I think you would be surprised at what parts come from offshort in other games ... where do LED's come from, pinball doors, etc?
- do you guys think that anyone wants to build an inferior product that you get to deal with time and energy with unhappy customers? I think that works if you are in this for the short term, but everyone involve has been in this industry for a long time. There are bad suppliers in the US just as there are in China - oy.

Like always, thanks again Rick and really looking forward to getting my machine.

#637 10 years ago

Thanks for all the info Rick. Can you please give us an idea of when we can expect more pictures? Thanks in advance.

#638 10 years ago

Note sure the power supply question got answered, will a single power unit be used with selectable 110/240 volts etc so that only the plug lead needs to swapped if machine is transported from one region to another?

#639 10 years ago

Thanks again Rick for replying on the weekend with your very busy schedule.

#640 10 years ago

Thanks for responding Rick. Now I can sleep.

#641 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Now I can sleep.

I can't. I'm still on the edge of my seat waiting for some kind of a "we've received your deposit" that I mailed in.

Oh the antici...

#642 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I think you would be surprised at what parts come from offshort in other games ... where do LED's come from

I would be shocked if LEDs came from anywhere but China.

#643 10 years ago

even Williams coin doors from the 90's have a gold china sticker on them if you've ever taken one off to do a decal job. it's always there.
there's good china and bad china.

#644 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

pa8nn.jpg 123 KB

I'm doing the same thing Brotha'

#645 10 years ago

Thanks for the link Dude

Keith

#646 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

So the fact that you can now get a MM for under 10K now isn't enough. Cause really that's all I want. The fact that they are able to do this should make people happy. Incredible how ungrateful people are. People bitching about the boards, lights and finishes. At least they agreed to do the double clear on all of them to stop some of the complaining.

People are paying 8 large...people have a right to "bitch".

#647 10 years ago

Bitch like, " I want gold ramps on the LE's so it sets them apart more from the standards"?
or " I don't want crappy gold powder coat"?

Don't buy one if you don't like how they come. Go buy a 15K restored one with original boards and bulbs that you can change.

#648 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Bitch like, " I want gold ramps on the LE's so it sets them apart more from the standards"?
or " I don't want crappy gold powder coat"?
Don't buy one if you don't like how they come. Go buy a 15K restored one with original boards and bulbs that you can change.

We don't know how they come yet is part of the problem. We don't know exactly what we bought yet. By the way, all MM ramps were always gold...why would they be different?

#649 10 years ago

What is all this talk about gold ramps? They are plastic on MM so how can they be gold? If you are referring to the wireforms Rick already confirmed the remake would have gold wireforms like the original.

#650 10 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Note sure the power supply question got answered, will a single power unit be used with selectable 110/240 volts etc so that only the plug lead needs to swapped if machine is transported from one region to another?

Seems to be an issue with answering this type of question
.........but hey ,the colour of the translite and if it has a logo is important.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.