(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 110.
#501 10 years ago

You guys really need to put up an official FAQ on the pps website instead of everyone digging through all these pages. Some questions keep getting asked over and over.

#502 10 years ago

Question I don't remember seeing asked, and Rick may not know the answer, but why wouldn't WMS want their logo plastered all over the remake of one of the most loved and sought after pinball machines ever made?

#503 10 years ago

Bam! Rick rocks!

#504 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I think a locked out thread stickied at the top with all the questions and answers would be good. The same way Predator was handled. Any mods wanna do that?

The_Dude_Abides has already done this.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-remake-updates

#505 10 years ago

I for one really don't believe in censorship and folks should be able to say their opinions, but with all this digging I have to go weed through, I could have been a archaeologist.

Maybe an admin could please clean up all non related posts to questions and answers.

#506 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

but why wouldn't WMS want their logo plastered all over the remake of one of the most loved and sought after pinball machines ever made?

Because they aren't making it. Because they are making something else.

And don't need the liability. That is why things get made under license. Someone else gets the headaches.

Even tech support would end up at their door, whether they answered or not.

LTG : )

#507 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I swear you guys will disagree with anything.

I don't agree with this.

J/K

#508 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Are all the distributors squared away in terms of LE allotment? I keep hearing conflicting reports as to weather my order is actually an order or not.

Double this, think I have a order, heavy on the think part.

#509 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Because they aren't making it. Because they are making something else.

Okay, makes sense. Thanks, Lloyd.

#510 10 years ago

It still seems to me that the question of how one goes about replacing one of the insert LED's that goes out, if its just 1 that dies on a whole board of say.... 10 (random number)... hasn't really been clearly answered. Will soldering be required or will there be some simple way to replace a single LED?

#511 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

It still seems to me that the question of how one goes about replacing one of the insert LED's that goes out, if its just 1 that dies on a whole board of say.... 10 (random number)... hasn't really been clearly answered. Will soldering be required or will there be some simple way to replace a single LED?

YouTube how to replace SMD components and you will see.

#512 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

YouTube how to replace SMD components and you will see.

Seems like a bad idea to me, Why make replaceing a bulb so much more difficult than normal? I assume cost is the only reason.

For the record, yes I have an order in so your talking to a paying customer here.

Not looking forward to an LED going out.

I'de like to suggest somehow making this a more user friendly repair.

Having to call a pinball repair person for $60 an hour to change a lightbulb just seems like its asking for bad press, from a user perspective and for you guys once you get all the negative backlash.

I'de be thrilled if you told us that there is a solution to this, or that we don't know what we are talking about.

#513 10 years ago

I think the point is, LEDs shouldn't go out for a very very long time if ever.

Quoted from DarkWizard:

#514 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I think the point is, LEDs shouldn't go out for a very very long time if ever.

Yeah, thats pretty much what keeps my hopes up about not having to deal with it.

I have had LEDs go out though quicker than expected, which is what gives me a small amount of trepidation.

#515 10 years ago

Replacing a single component with a chisel tip soldering iron is NOT that big of a deal...

#516 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Replacing a single component with a chisel tip soldering iron is NOT that big of a deal...

Very well put. You can do it in 5 minutes with practically any cheap $10 soldering iron and no skills. And its much more reliable than the wire connections on any of the bulb holders currently used. Especially the newer Sterns plastic holders that simply push a metal wedge through the insulation and hope it makes a good connection with the wire. They are not very reliable when you start moving the wiring and connectors around a lot. I have had to replace a few of them now after putting mods on games and moving things around.

#517 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's a legitimate question. Perhaps the deep-pocketed customer that can afford an 8k toy is too busy making a living to want to learn to solder in his/her limited spare time.

Annoying distributor salesmouth "yeah nowadays they're as reliable as a TV set" Customer calls back "got a bulb out"
Salesmouth "oh now you need to learn to solder"...

Doesn't affect me as learning to solder was one of the few useful things I learned in public school

#518 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

It's a legitimate question. Perhaps the deep-pocketed customer that can afford an 8k toy is too busy making a living to want to learn to solder in his/her limited spare time.
Annoying distributor salesmouth "yeah nowadays they're as reliable as a TV set" Customer calls back "got a bulb out"
Doesn't affect me as learning to solder was one of the few useful things I learned in public school

I can spend $30k on a vehicle that uses technology I don't understand, but if a bulb goes out in the dash I'm gonna shrug and contact the peeps that know what they're doing.

Pinball machines have mostly been built for operators that know how to tackle small issues like that. If we, as home buyers, want the machines in our game rooms then we need to learn the ropes or be prepared to pay those that know how to do the work.

Just my opinion of course.

#519 10 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Rick. Not sure if this has been asked. Will any attempt be made to fix or at least improve the Merlin kickout hole problem. This shot is notorious for not sticking, and if you go back to comments made in a Fireside Expo chat from 2004, Brian Eddy said

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2004/fireside.html
So there was at least a plan to improve reliability of this shot. It might be nice to find out what that was and if the fix is feasible.

I never had a problem with that until I put a Cliffy protector on it. Then I had to put the "drop dead" foam on the backside and it helped tremendously. I doubt PPS would change the design of that hole and they should not to protect the integrity of the game being as close to original as possible. After all, they need to make these playfields the same as the originals so they can be used as replacement playfields for the original games.
That "bounce out" is a part of the randomness of the game anyway. Its fun to see players yell at the game over it!

#520 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Pretty easy to just pay a guy $50-$100 to come solder up your machine if needed. Drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the game.

#521 10 years ago

While we're on the subject of light boards, will there be any extras in the goody bag?

#522 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I can spend $30k on a vehicle that uses technology I don't understand, but if a bulb goes out in the dash I'm gonna shrug and contact the peeps that know what they're doing.

Pinball machines have mostly been built for operators that know how to tackle small issues like that. If we, as home buyers, want the machines in our game rooms then we need to learn the ropes or be prepared to pay those that know how to do the work.

If there's a pinball machine in my home, and theres something I can't fix, I hire a pro. Turns out he can't fix it either, and tech support can't help. If I had a $30,000 car in my garage, I would replace the burnt out bulb myself, because the dealer mechanics are underpaid and would screw something else up (that and I am the best auto tech I know).

The point is, if it is in your home, you can fix it or at least try.

#523 10 years ago

Just my opinion of course.

I agree. But do you think the salesperson tells the customer (who is about to buy) that he/she may have to pay for expensive tech housecalls to replace an led bulb? Or warns them that they will need to practice a new skill - simple as we feel it is?

But as you pointed out - the price is approaching a crappy car these days.

#524 10 years ago

I agree this was the thing that worried me the most, because it was mentioned that the game will come with the warm white leds, which in my opinion look antiquey...(great for EM pins), and I'd have to change them out with color matching and cool colors etc. SMD's are hard to replace for the average pinhead, it takes a good amount of skills. The upside is I'm told they don't go bad as much so if the colors are tasteful at least you won't have to go down that road often.

#525 10 years ago

Personal preference but, I think warm white GI looks best for the theme. When I tried to change my LOTR to cool white it looked awful, so I changed it back.

#526 10 years ago

I think it was mentioned that the GI might be socketed and that's where the warm white would be. The inserts would be the board lighting and color matched.

#527 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I agree this was the thing that worried me the most, because it was mentioned that the game will come with the warm white leds, which in my opinion look antiquey...

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Personal preference but, I think warm white GI looks best for the theme. When I tried to change my LOTR to cool white it looked awful, so I changed it back.

I'm pretty sure Rick said that the GI will be normal socketed LEDs. The boards are only being used for the controlled lighting.

#529 10 years ago

OK...great news, I must have missed that in the 20 MMR threads I'm simultaneously reading.

#530 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

pa8nn.jpg 123 KB

You caught me doing that same thing!

#532 10 years ago

I know decals are being used but I really hope they will use same system as Stern to stop decals wrinkling?

Also, what are the chances of color dmd being compatible? Awesome mod and surely this should be in from the start???

#533 10 years ago

The_Dude_Abides has already done this.http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-remake-updates

The Dude rocks

#534 10 years ago

Even if they don't, they are available from Terry for $15:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

Also, Rick stated he's talking with the Color DMD guys but not sure which way that'll go.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I know decals are being used but I really hope they will use same system as Stern to stop decals wrinkling?

Also, what are the chances of color dmd being compatible? Awesome mod and surely this should be in from the start???

#535 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Seems like a bad idea to me, Why make replaceing a bulb so much more difficult than normal? I assume cost is the only reason.
For the record, yes I have an order in so your talking to a paying customer here.
I'de like to suggest somehow making this a more user friendly repair.
Having to call a pinball repair person for $60 an hour to change a lightbulb just seems like its asking for bad press, from a user perspective and for you guys once you get all the negative backlash.
I'de be thrilled if you told us that there is a solution to this, or that we don't know what we are talking about.

DarkWizard you have a good point and concerns, like it was answered a LED should last approx 100,000 hours of continuous use meaning = we should be dead before the LED dies lol. However if something was to go wrong with them most likely it will show itself very quickly while still under warranty and a simple board swap might be in order. Beyond that if it does happen and your're right tech repairs can be a bit expensive but this is really no big deal change, maybe a fellow hobbyist that can do this work that is local to you will gladly help out in this situation and maybe make a day of it having lunch and playing pinball in the process. That would be my offer to anyone local to me

Making friends with common interest is always a good thing.

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I don't think you know that all new Sterns use SMD LED boards as well for inserts. Get used to it because all pins will be using them.

#537 10 years ago

Same here I had an LED go on my ACDC but those are multi-colored and not the same. However, you don't need a pinball repair guy to fix the board. My guess is that it's not hard to remove the board, hopefully it isn't buried under all kinds of other junk

You can pull the board and I'm sure there are tons of shops in your town that will fix it for a few bucks. Repairing them is super easy if you have the correct equipment, either take it to someone that does, or absolute worst case you have to ship it off to have the cheap repair done.

It sounds bad, but again, with the reliability of the LEDs, they shouldn't happen at all during the life of the game, but I guess it's possible it happens once or twice, every few years sort of thing.

Like other said, this is how things are going, but for a good reason. The equipment to do the work is actually really reasonable, under $100. Otherwise, pull it, take it to a local shop and it's a simple repair. Hopefully it's just a few screws and a connector.

Quoted from DarkWizard:

I have had LEDs go out though quicker than expected, which is what gives me a small amount of trepidation.

#538 10 years ago

Here is a question from another pinsider, just thought I would post for anyone to comment. "I know in the original game, the balls could get stuck in the catapult and would never clear due to a design flaw, how is this going to be addressed in MMR?"

#539 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Having to call a pinball repair person for $60 an hour to change a lightbulb....

You should be happier than I pig in shit that you actually have a pinball repair man too call in your area.

#540 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

ok, we will take the size, background color, location, etc, of our logo under advisement ... --- ...

Hi,

I'd be happy to design a new logo for you (free) that will best fit into the MMR design.
24 years of game industry experience

cheers,
bb

#541 10 years ago

No logo is my vote!

#542 10 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

No logo is my vote!

I second that!!!!

#544 10 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

No logo is my vote!

No logo isn't realistic. I'm sure Rick wants his logo on there

Quoted from retired_user_101:

Hi,
I'd be happy to design a new logo for you (free) that will best fit into the MMR design.
24 years of game industry experience
cheers,
bb

+1 Great idea. Hopefully Rick is interested in seeing what you could do.

#545 10 years ago

Good stuff, thanks.

#546 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I don't agree with this.
J/K

Agree to disagree? Hell no!!!

#547 10 years ago

guys ... we can sideline the logo discussion ... our logo will not change (it doesn't have a 'white box' around it ... lol), and if, where, and how it will be placed is what is required and/or desired. ... thanks, rick

#548 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

One of our goals at PPS for the Medieval Madness remake is that collectors who have long wanted a MM would finally be able to own one. We are not out to serve speculators or people who want to make a quick buck by flipping the game, or holding the game until the value goes up due to supply & demand ... we cannot stop some of this as it's a very free country, but we sure can have a long memory on where this happens.
We will make the non-LE version of MM as long as people want to buy them, then we will stop. If there is sufficient interest, we might start again at some point in the future. So please, if you want an investment, buy a mutual fund. If you want to play a great pinball game, buy the MM remake. You can buy it to resell it, but remember - the warranty only applies to the original purchaser who buys from an authorized distributor.
[email protected]

Good to hear, I'll be in the market in about a year and a half.

#549 10 years ago

I want a really really nice logo... on a decal

#550 10 years ago

I gave a deposit and now waiting for my NIB MEDIEVAL MADNESS!!!

Always wanting to say that

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.