Topic Stats

• 4,869 posts
  • 457 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 266 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 592 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

238385DE-4D61-45E6-A1FC-6E69B4EE2406 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4298 (resized).JPG
0EBB2CDF-C0CC-4115-BEAB-5A60471E54D0 (resized).jpeg
52F32CC1-5E75-40B1-8E89-D1E086DC6339 (resized).jpeg
5A3FDCCD-7068-4E71-9208-6E60B939A13A (resized).jpeg
20191218_213207.jpg
20191218_173406 (resized).jpg
20191218_165621 (resized).jpg
DC27E4EE-BB7E-457B-A80F-33F3B5565091 (resized).jpeg
pic1 (resized).jpg
triceratops02.jpg
face off poster simple layers.jpg
sidon dash river layout one.jpg
sandman one.jpg
plane_green_b_w sketch.jpg
oldman_bodies.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1 first pic Posted by SuperPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3445 anti scratch tape Posted by Jarbyjibbo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#523 3 years ago

I was wondering?

I haven't heard the "toasty" callout yet.
And I've hit the ramp multiple consecutive times.

What am I missing?

Edit. NM, I heard it today.

#524 3 years ago

Mmr is amazing.
Amazing build quality, amazing gameplay.
The machine is a work of art.

I'm so glad I sold my Stern ST. And changed my mind about putting the money on a ghostbusters premium. I decided on a proven game, MM.
#1 for a reason.

With updated dots it's going to be even more amazing.

#533 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Ok guys I would appreciate any feedback.
Seriously considering buying MMR. Is there much difference between the standard and LE and is it worth it considering gameplay is the same.

Shaker motor. And that's all.
So no rumble for the castle blowing up.
Catapult firing, or troll modes.

There is no point ordering a Standard.
My local distributor has 5 gold LE's in stock for sale.
Standards will be months until they start shipping. Why tie up money for a game that is available now?
1000 machines isn't really a LE
Don't let those still waiting, or the hype fool you.

Great game, get a LE.
Shaker motor and a discount on the color dots.
And available now.

#547 3 years ago

Modding started.
All warm GI leds either color matched or switched to cool white.

Catapult Knight plastic led lit.
I bought an extra set of troll heads.
Troll led eye mod started.

First pic is before the leds were switched.

IMG_20160402_244553468_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160402_191133468_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160406_161508845_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160407_203621634_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160407_203612233_(resized).jpg

#549 3 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Wow that looks sick erak! Nice job on those troll eyes. How much was the second set and where did you get them from?

I bought them from Playdium. They don't have any left though. And they said no plans to order more as the dollar is bad. They were old stock sitting around so I got them at $26 each.
But thy are normally $36
I priced them online $15 U.S each. But $45 U.S
Shipping. No way it's worth the price with shipping and exchange.
It comes to $96 CDN.

I just figured it be good to keep the originals.
Instead of screwing them up if I made a mistake. But it's real easy to mod them so if anyone has plans to do it don't worry about it.

#551 3 years ago

You could but direct from PPS... $37 U.S for 2. And $48 U.S shipping to Canada.

= $109 CDN.

#552 3 years ago

Just hooking them up now.
Wondering what would be best?
Doing this on the cheap.

Options are....

Always on?

Or hooked up to the L+R flashers so they flash when hit?

IMG_20160411_193038945_(resized).jpg

#554 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I would think always on unless you can add a switch to only go on when in the up position.

Well I could hook it up to the hold winding on the troll coils. But they would be on when up and off when down. So it would look the same as on all the time. (Hooked to G.I) not worth the extra work of a bigger resistor and diode added to the circuit for basically the same result.

If I hook it up to the flashers they will flash when hit before going down. And I think when popping up and during any multiball madness.
With trolls up.

I'm going to try it today. And see what looks best.

#557 3 years ago

Here they are wired to the L+R flasher.
They flash when they pop up and when hit.

#559 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

That looks great...
Any specific style a LED bulb you used?

2-3mm red LEDs. 1 for each eye.
And I used a 1 watt 470 ohm resistor. Even though 1/2 watt would do on the - lead.
Hook up to the L+R flasher plugs under the playfield on the big circuit board

Left troll on the left flasher plug. Right troll on the right plug It takes a bit to get the Leds in the eyes. But it's fairly easy.

Screenshot_20160412-175040_(resized).png

#561 3 years ago

Just like this..
http://www.pinwize.com/medieval_madness_troll_eyes_diy.php

This mod is for hooking them up to the coils. But it's the same idea.

#563 3 years ago

Nothing, last info was last week.
Waiting on CGC, pricing and how it will be released now.

#573 3 years ago

On CGC you can't even contact their sales Dept.
It gives a 404 error.

N/M it worked today. It wouldn't let me send a message yesterday to ask about the release plans for the color support.

I figure if enough customers ask, maybe some information will be given. Considering even their distributors are in the dark.

2 weeks later
#599 3 years ago
Quoted from Nveld:Having an issue with the left troll. It pops up when it should then sometimes immediately pops back down. Sometimes it will not pop back up but usually does. I've checked connectors and wires to assembly all seems good. I bent the switch a little to trigger the hold switch to work better and this seems to help but it still has happened only fewer times. Also when I run the troll switch test neither the right or left troll will pop up. It just says left and right troll up switch bad. Weird. Anyone have this issue?

Are you pushing the +/- buttons with the interlock pulled in troll test? If so, I would go into switch test (interlock off) and manually push the troll mechs up to see if the switch registers.
If the switches register it should clear the error.
And the trolls will probably work again.

If the switches don't register maybe more adjusting is needed?

1 week later
#642 3 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Here are the sound clips I was referring to.
» YouTube video

Pretty cool. I hope it is a mode no one has found yet. And not just something scrapped and left in.

2 months later
#736 3 years ago

Anyone else notice that there is no williams "bong" on boot up?

None on mine since the update, no real issue. I just find it weird that it's gone.

#758 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Time and date reset. Anyone else having this?

Old code or new code? It was supposed to be fixed in the new update.

I hope it really was.

2 months later
#882 3 years ago
Quoted from kamenoi_ostrow:

I'll be picking mine up later this week. Pardon a few dumb questions, but can the color upgrade have finer definition from the original or is it simply the same animations, just colored? Reason I'm asking is because I thought I remember reading a thread on how much crisper the color upgrade is from the standard orange. 2nd, are the mods that are available for the original MM's compatible for MMr? I'm mainly referring to the lighting mods-Castle arch light mod, etc. Lastly, how are the LED's on this? I'm really not a fan at all of LED's for GI-I prefer the warmer glow of incandescents-are they the cold, sterile look, or? Oh, one other thing..what does the CG control panel do and where is it located on the machine? Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one as I'm really looking forward to dive in!

Yes the colored dots are higher resolution.

And yes most of the mods are compatable. As you can just tie them in to the board under the playfield. Or any G.I. socket.
The leds that are in the machine are the warm retro style. So they look like and act like incandescents. And you can change the incandescent emulation in the software settings. And the brightness of the inserts as well.
To access the CGC settings you hold the escape button in the coindoor down for a few seconds and it goes into a MMr adjustment menu, dmd color, coil strength, flipper strength, etc. Etc.

For all other adjustments, ball save time, extra balls etc. It works the same as every Williams WPC system settings.
All in the MMr manual.

New dots
IMG_20161009_224628 (resized).jpg

Factory Leds.
Screenshot_20161009-231319 (resized).png

7 months later
#1842 2 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Well I'm finally in.
Bought this home yesterday. Plays soooo much better than my fully restored original.

Don't tell any other original MM owners that.
It will start a pinside riot. And they will try to give you a hundred excuses why you're wrong. But yup you're right.

#1843 2 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

One cool thing that I learned about the video mode....you can use troll bombs if you have them.
So if the crows are about to steal the children, hit them with a troll bomb. All the crows on the screen at that time are killed.
Gives you a better chance to get the video mode extra ball.

Any time during video mode you can hit the plunger button and it will clear the screen of birds. You only get one though. Regardless of troll bombs.

#1848 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Unless Merlin hands you a Light Trolls or Start Trolls and you have some Madnesses lined up. Then you have a good chance of taking down the 10 trolls and possibly shooting some castles.
I've had everything Mastered a couple of times, bit I'm always 1-2 castles away from BFTK.
Shooting for castles on my game is suicide. Do you guys find this is how it is on yours?

Yeah I lot of the times it comes back straight down the middle. It's basically how the pin is designed (risk vs reward) But I started nudging more. Or slapping the side of the cabinet right after it hits the castle gate and it's a bit more manageable.

#1860 2 years ago

Dup post

#1861 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Why would you say anything? They're designed for that. Shake the sh!t out of them!!!

Exactly, Couldn't agree more!

Quoted from DSL_:

Dumb Game play question. Is the only way you get the Video Mode Save the children through Merlin??? I have seen it on YouTube but never gotten it yet... :-/ Plus how do you fire? Left /Right seems obvious via flippers but the the video I saw was virtual (Via PS4) and it used another button to fire?
Thanks!

Yes video mode is a random and Extremly rare Merlin mystery award. But as others have said you can also get it by spelling fire a certain number of times in a game. You can change the number of fire spellings it takes in the settings.
(Default 7, lowest setting 5)

1 week later
#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I ordered them, thanks for the head's up! I have a question: Thought my MMR was starting to act differently during gameplay. I get a lit insert right from the start of a game, for all of the madness type shots. There is an insert lit for catapault, joust, peasant and damsel right away. I never noticed that before, so say the first time I ramp the damsel, 2 inserts are lit instead of just the first one. Also, I thought my replay was set at 20,000,000 but now its 19,000,000. I found a setting for it in the green menu or I guess its just a diagnostic screen telling me how many times I have reached a replay score. (only 10% of the time). Did not see a way to change the replay score setting though. Any insight would be appreciated...

For the lit starting inserts, It may be (if you didn't change it) that the test/utilities menu presets were changed to "easy" or"extra easy"
Or "novelty" setting was turned on.

And the replay can be changed in the test/standard adjustments and features menu.

Your manual will tell you where everything and what everything does in the menu.
Play around with it until you get the game setting that make it the most enjoyable.

2 weeks later
#2013 2 years ago

Get trolls mode lit. As well as having all other multiball lit execpt trolls. Start Multiball madness with trolls. Once you knock down the trolls you will add troll multiball madness to you current multiball.
Then once your multiball is over, royal madness will be lit. Start royal madness and every lit shot will add to lighting the blue center inserts.
So if you have already completed the required shots to light a madness twice before starting royal madness. Completing the lit shots associated with each madness will instantly light the blue center insert.

The hardest one to light is castle crusher as you actually have to beat every castle.

#2016 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Exactly my strategy. So satisfying to get that 4 Madness Multiball call-out, and then the crazy one once you knock down the trolls.

Yeah, that's the way to go!

2 weeks later
#2048 2 years ago
Quoted from Tinnhound:

I installed Flipper Fidelity speakers, BIG difference! worth the time and money!

Yeah, I did it on mine too. Purchsed them in Allentown. The sound is 100% better. Those factory speakers were garbage.

Quoted from paynemic:

Wow. That's a bad start! I hope cgc isn't having those quality problems regularly! I have a afmr Le ordered. Sorry you're having such a bad experience

Stern was still assembling some MMRs remember? More than likely on their end. With all the problems they have had. I don't doubt it.

3 months later
#2395 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Thanks! So far only minor issue appears to be the ball getting stick in moat once in awhile until ball search kicks it out. I'm guessing the switch just needs to be tweaked up. Plan to tackle that tonight.
Guss: I hope yours comes soon.

Check wires under the playfield aren't in the way of the moat switch. I had this issue with mine out of the box. It's a simple quick fix.
It wasn't kicking out 100% of the time.

1 week later
#2459 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

My knocker wires do not appear to go into the board in the head. They appear to go down into the cabinet.

It connected directly to the power supply in the bottom of the cabinet. Just unplug it there.
I did it on mine. Labeled knocker right beside fuse F4

Screenshot_20171010-001938 (resized).png

1 week later
#2530 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Site says that no soldering is required. And although it's not much work, I would rather have the replacement connector if it was supposed to be included. I'm waiting for a reply from PP.

It says no solidering required because Williams pins had plugs directly on the speakers.
MMr does not have plugs at the speaker pins. and requires desolidering and solidering.
Unless you go get plugs and crimp them on the wires. That way if you ever need to remove them, you can easily.
As the factory MMr speakers are hardwired.

3 weeks later
#2667 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Question...... does anyone know if drawbridge or gate hits make the shaker go off on MMR. Just want to be sure

Yup, and nope.

Just the catapult, destroy a castle, and trolls initial pop up. Make the shaker go.

#2668 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

is there a trick for pulling the speaker panel out? Mine is "stuck" and doesn't want to lift.....

If it doesn't move with the instructions below something is holding it up. Check it carefully before applying force. It may just be tight. But it doesn't lift straight up and out. It lifts very slightly then tilts forward on to the playfield glass.

Screenshot_20171116-015724 (resized).png

#2694 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Honesty....... pass on the shaker as it’s waaaaaay to strong.

You do know there is 3 different shaker settings in the menu right?

And why wouldn't you want it to go when the castle explodes?

Screenshot_20171121-030739 (resized).png

5 months later
#3329 1 year ago

Got the madness champ high score today.

First good game I've had on my MMr since Oct. getting diognosed with MS.
Almost feel kinda normal. And back to enjoying pinball.
Absolutely love my MMr

#3373 1 year ago

Grand Champion? Meaning over 52,000,000? Congrats..

No. Madness champion. Starting every multiball madness at once. And got 38,000,000 just for multiball mode. Got to put my initials in for madness champ only. Still haven't beat my old grand champ score of
$198,000,000

#3381 1 year ago

So does it go from all 5 lit madness multiball straight into royal madness when you drain them all or do you have to then hit the merlin hole again to get the Royal Madness one ball? Thanks in advance.

Yeah once you are down to one ball. Or start a new ball. if you hit Merlin it will start royal madness.

1 month later
#3481 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

I saw a routed original MM today and the castle door looked like it had been bashed in by a battering ram!
I couldn't believe how smashed up that door looked in comparison to everything else.
That being said, it might be worthwhile picking up an extra gate if you plan to hold onto your game long term.

Was it the one in the player one showroom?
If so, I saw and played that one last week. It played ok. But yeah, that castle gate was beat.
The trolls poppimg up seemed pretty weak too.

1 month later
#3542 1 year ago
Quoted from rad:

Checking to see if anybody else is having an inconsistent issue with the right ramp diverter (Damsel/castle) - the diverter works (lowers) maybe 5-10% of the time for me when it is time to save the damsel. I can manually move the diverter and it doesn't seem to stick. Solder connection on the coil lugs/wires look good. Anybody else have any issues with that diverter?
Thank you.

I had an issue with it not dropping everytime about 1/10 it wouldn't drop. This was on the original release code. And had an associated service error. But no issues since the last code update. But I would go into tests and check that diverter and associated switches and board plugs.

It could have been the code update or that I reseated all the board plugs.

2 months later
#3678 1 year ago
Quoted from Flip_RRR:

Awesome idea! Will do this eve. It happens every time I play so I'll have more info tomorrow.

I would also reaseat all connections to the boards. Could be a bad connection acting up because of heat expansion.

Hope it's an easy fix. And not a deeper issue.
Good luck!

2 months later
2 months later
#3887 10 months ago

Made a mod for my MMR. I might do the rest of the towers and the skulls eyes. Not sure yet.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_thumbnail1551574007507 (resized).jpgUSER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_thumbnail1551583443220 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3892 10 months ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Linking my post here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-tame-cointakers-shaker-motor/page/2#post-4839952
Hoping someone here has installed a power control motor for their shaker motor (looking to dial it back a bit, as even on low it's too much)
I can't figure out which color is + and -

Take the cover off the shaker and move the weights.

#3910 10 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thank you. Good to know it is possible but since I've had two guys try it in the past year and I don't have the knowledge to do it myself, not sure I have the money or patience to attempt it again.
If we do, I will reach out to you for instructions. Thanks!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-mods-post-them-here

#3912 10 months ago
Quoted from dts:

My only comment would be to consider using Comet Pinball flashers in place of the the left and right flashers, with cables running to the troll eyes separately. That keeps things further from the PCB and makes it interactive.

This is hooked directly to the PCB board.

7 months later
#4166 3 months ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Is the game suppose to come with a manual or no?

I believe only the LE's came with a physical manual. I could be wrong.

But if it was as supposed too. Contact your dustributor, or CGC.

1 week later
#4353 87 days ago

I have a LE gold MMr. I'm not sure about the topper, or XL display because of price. And neither changes gameplay. I'm interested in the GI upgrade. But will have to see good videos of it in action first.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Montreal

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside