Topic Stats

• 4,869 posts
  • 457 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 265 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 592 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

238385DE-4D61-45E6-A1FC-6E69B4EE2406 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4298 (resized).JPG
0EBB2CDF-C0CC-4115-BEAB-5A60471E54D0 (resized).jpeg
52F32CC1-5E75-40B1-8E89-D1E086DC6339 (resized).jpeg
5A3FDCCD-7068-4E71-9208-6E60B939A13A (resized).jpeg
20191218_213207.jpg
20191218_173406 (resized).jpg
20191218_165621 (resized).jpg
DC27E4EE-BB7E-457B-A80F-33F3B5565091 (resized).jpeg
pic1 (resized).jpg
triceratops02.jpg
face off poster simple layers.jpg
sidon dash river layout one.jpg
sandman one.jpg
plane_green_b_w sketch.jpg
oldman_bodies.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1 first pic Posted by SuperPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3445 anti scratch tape Posted by Jarbyjibbo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisnack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1011 3 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Time and date not set error two times in the last two days. This was after replacing the battery a couple of months ago.

I have this issue on mine and it's only a few weeks old. I had to move it to a dedicated outlet instead of a switched one. Used to have the pinballs on a switched outlet, so you walk in, flip the switch all the games come on.

Any idea if this is a battery issue or something else?

#1013 3 years ago

hmmm, ok, i have v2.1 on the SD card from the color upgrade, so i can just put that in and power it on and it will reload? I didn't use the SD card as my MMR already had 2.1 on it.

Are you fully powering off? As in switched outlet or power strip? Or just powering the machine on? Mine is fine if i turn the machine off but it's still plugged into an active outlet. It's when i was 100% cutting the power that it started losing date/time.

#1015 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

It looks like I'll be joining the club sometime next week! I know that a lot of folks have been underwhelmed by the quality of the stock speakers and the sound in general...some folks say it sounds kinda hollow. I was curious what speaker/sub upgrades people have had luck with? Flipper Fidelity vs. Pinball Pro vs. Other?
Thanks!

Do a search, there is a whole thread dedicated to just that

#1019 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Are these a direct replacement or did you have to modify your mount and/or wiring?

Any 5.25 should be direct replacement. However as most car speakers are 4 ohm, you will need to change from parallel to series wiring. Instructions are in the link posted.

#1022 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I have not been following MMR and the colorized screen development process. I like the colorization but I think $400 is steep and somewhat of a rip off. When the game boots it shows a color screen shot and then boots to mono color scheme. Is the colorization kit just a chip that unlocks the colorization? I think they should have included the colorization as part of the game instead of making it an add on type feature.

It's well worth the $400, it's more than just color, it's all new animations in full color etc... it looks amazing... my friend thought it was expensive as well until he played mine and was like, ok that's cool...

#1029 3 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

I have those same speakers, but haven't installed yet. I thought the wiring had to be changed when running 4 ohm speakers instead of 8 ohm?

You have to change the wiring, otherwise you are running 2 ohms which we don't know if the amp can handle or not.

#1031 3 years ago

That's good to know. The only issue would be heat as you run a lower resistance. Not sure how much yours is played, but given 4 months doesn't seem to be an issue. The concern is if you do actually blow something on the board, whether it's serviceable or not. If it's not serviceable, the cost of a new board

It's rated for 50w @ 4 ohms. Lower resistance means more power, but unless you are cranking it, it should be ok, just generates more heat.

1 week later
#1088 2 years ago

Does anyone know the wiring on the moat flashers? I'm seeing 12v on the yellow and 5v on the blue. I didn't see in the schematic how they work, assuming the might be computer controller?

I wanted to hook up a relay to power a green led strip behind castle to flash with the moat.

#1091 2 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

I would pick the flasher you want to trigger your new LED strip and put a multimeter across it (most likely DC) and measure the voltage in flasher test mode. Then goto Comet pinball and pick up the LED strip. Their LED strips do both AC and DC. Pick the voltage that is closest to what you measured and it should work...

Kind of what i did hence the 12v and 5v. I tested with my relay using both the 5v and trying it as a ground trigger, as i can see the voltage drop on the 5v in test mode. However neither worked.

I could potentially just use one of the standard (red dome) flashers, but i really wanted it tied to the moat.

#1092 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I picked up this awesome game a couple of days ago, and now I'm having a huge issue. The optical sensors that trigger the drawbridge are not working at all. When I run the test, I notice if I run my fingers through, it will detect. But anytime I pass the ball through, it does nothing. I've tried pushing them in a million different directions to realign them, and nothing. However, if I push down on one of them, and then pass the ball through, it usually works.
I have no idea what is going on, but I'm totally frustrated and disappointed as the game is rendered pretty much useless without being able to open the drawbridge as I'm sue you'd all agree.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Sounds like they are misaligned in some way. You can always open a support ticket with CGC, they have been very good with the couple minor issues i've had. I had a switch in the outer orbit go bad and i got a replacement fairly quickly. Also has a software issue (losing time/date) and they sent me new code within a few days to test (which the issue hasn't come back).

1 month later
#1247 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

$399 for a chip is ridiculous. I understand the cost is in the labor but color dmd sells the hardware and software for the same price.
Not to mention I already spent $8,000 with your company........

It's amazing. My buddy was skeptical as well until he saw it on mine. If you spent 8k, what's another 400 for awesomeness. It's not just a color mod, the graphics are redone.

#1292 2 years ago

Can anyone explain what actually gives you bonus points? Not the multiplier but the score that gets multiplied.

#1298 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's just a number of switch hits bonus...so, the more switches hit during that ball the bigger the bonus.

Great thanks!

#1307 2 years ago

Finally got my LED strip wired into GI lighting and working correctly. Took a short video to show that (it's pretty damn cool i think) and also show the Color HD upgrade.

This was a horrible game, but shows off the LED lighting, the trolls with LED eyes and the HD display. Destroyed a castle, got trolls, rescued a Damsel, so at least you can see a few of the animations. Only the first 2 balls.Enjoy!

#1309 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Getting there...

Be careful with how bright they are. I have the pinwize ones... i had to put in 100k resisters to get them at a brightness level i was ok with and didn't blind you. I wanted the eyes lit, but i still wanted to be able to see the trolls.

Easy enough to add resisters to dim them down.

#1336 2 years ago

Stop talking about FT in the MMr thread

#1337 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

After all this I am realizing. I need An mmr for my second pin.
I'm going to get the mmr not original if possible. someday, anyways...

I see absolutely no point in owning an original. Gameplay is the same and modern electronics with MMr, not to mention cheaper.

#1338 2 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Speaker lights turned out nice!

Looks neat, but good way to add more glare! Stands out considerably in your photos.

#1341 2 years ago

Did you wire them to flash or anything? Or just on when the trolls pop up?

Mine just come up with the trolls, been debating about rewiring to flash when hit.

#1343 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Just when they pop up. I bought the Pinbits kit. Time consuming, for me anyway, but I like the way they look.

How much was the pinbits kit? I assume you had to install then?

I have the pinwize kit, it was a touch over $120 i think, but all i had to do was swap the trolls. The wiring, LED's etc are all top notch. Even have epoxy over the LED's so they aren't directly exposed to ball contact. My only complaint was that they were STUPID bright, but that was remedied VERY easily with some resisters.

#1344 2 years ago

Oh, i will add the Pinwize kit, the trolls are touched up with some nice touches and clear coated. The difference between the stock ones and the new ones was night/day.

#1349 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Both have good and bad things about them. I waited to get a restored original bc ican work on the boards , change the leds, blackout mod for backbix is a great addition that u cant do on mmr and i like willians stuff lol.
However i love the color upgrade on mmr and the shaker . Im just glad more were made so everyone can enjoy. I actually dont carr for the modern electronics . If i have issues i can swap boards between machines and fix the old stuff if i ever have a issue ....new stuff not so much lol

I can do board work as well. However there are some things hopefully we'll see with time that there is no way you can do on the old machine. The programming is far more advanced.

Converting LED's just isn't the same, the incandescent mode is amazing, I didn't know what I was missing until I saw it on MMr.

#1366 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

And black painted cabinet interior on the LE. Don't forget that.

Oh how could i forget, that totally justifies it's own ranking! /sarcasm off

They should be condensed into a single MMr, there is no valid reason for those to be separate, it's the same game.

#1379 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

You are forgetting the real reason why the LE should be in its own class and have its own ratings..........plywood on the bottom! The standard editions or non-plys as they are referred to in the business simply dont have that plywood smell or taste and therefore changes the game to a completely different game. When you do BFTK, the King of Payne says " I will show you why I prefer plywood!". Yup, I could only imagine the suffering that the non-plys go through knowing that the bottom of their pinball cabinets are....well...not plywood.

That's so stupid though, my non LE has plywood. So that one is lost on me, i'm missing the plaque and painted inside cabinet, but it's still a 5/8" plywood bottom.

#1380 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I thought it was an angry goat with the beard and horns...lol Still it's a cool idea.

Yeah i did not think it was a dragon either, i mean i assumed, but sure didn't look like a dragon to me.

#1384 2 years ago

I just thought of something. If you have a standard that has plywood but was supposed to have MDF then maybe it is an even more rare version of MMr like some kind of MMrSLE. I think we need to make another entry in the pinside ratings for those.

haha, i promise you it's plywood as i have cut through it a few times now Had to make a larger hole for my subwoofer upgrade!

#1386 2 years ago

Nice, I did the external sub route. Possible the best upgrade/mod that should be done to the game.

That would have been cheaper, but that's not my style. My stuff is all over in the speaker upgrade thread. 8" sub in enclosure and then a amplifier powering it. Sounds awesome.

2 weeks later
#1472 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Does anybody know of a distributor for MMR in the NW (WA, OR, ID, MT)?

Not in NW, but i got mine from GameRoomGuys, my buddy bought his TWD from them as well. Can't say enough good things about them, great to work with. They will ship a game anywhere.

#1476 2 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

So 8k going rate for standard or can a guy get one cheaper ?

Pretty much...

#1491 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

the original goody bag has a wire for this and a flipper height tool in the kit

Really? I'll have to look, i don't recall seeing that.

#1524 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

410 million... Holy s#!t!!!!!

Looks like Monster Bash, it's not MM

#1527 2 years ago

My buddy put up 463 million on my MMr the first day i had it. We've never been close since. It was insane. He beat everything and had every mode activated. Was a great way to test out the new machine

#1530 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Good eye
I'm chasing down BFTK, but dammit, I just can't get it.
Tonight I knocked out almost 5 castles, and then failed at Royal Madness.
Such tough game!

I have not gotten it yet either. I've had all the castles down and just missed the shot to start BFTK.

It took me 4 months before I finally got video mode for the first time.

#1538 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Seems with AFMr, they are not being produced right now.

Well yeah, it was JUST announced, production hasn't even started on it.

#1554 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Dude... I knew I couldn't be the only one!! Been wondering if I should invest in a good overhead streaming system with cams and mics to catch the full effect while I'm doing this so I can post an instructional video. Though it might blow up PAPA or Pinburgh next year if they include this game in the lineup.

Yeah that's pretty much how my games go as well..

1 week later
#1583 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey all, I am just now realizing I may have a problem. Periodically I get a credit dot and the error is date and time not set. It's happened from the beginning (I've had mmr since about three months into production) but so infrequently that I never paid much attention. I just reset it. It's now happening maybe weekly. I am remembering others saying they had this problem and I thought there was supposed to be a software fix. Does anyone know about this? Thanks in advance.

It's a known issue, they have updated code for it. It's not publicly available yet though as it's still beta/test code.

If you file a support ticket, they will give you the code to test. The code has worked great for me, haven't had any issues in over 3 months with date/time.

#1620 2 years ago

anyone else's cabinets starting to split? Mine is about 4 months old and i noticed some hairlines cracks at the corners. Thank you Stern for that...

#1622 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

CGC made the cabinets for MMR.
LTG : )

Ah, I thought it was Stern. Well either way kind of sucks!

#1660 2 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Color Rom Bugs
Some friends told me that there are a lot of Bugs in the HD
Color Rom
sometimes it changes to MONO COLOR and LOW RES
should be Buggy
and no updates

A lot? No... a few glitches here/there sure

#1671 2 years ago

Keep thinking there are updates and it's just another 20 posts from Damien

#1673 2 years ago

haha, i was totally teasing you

#1677 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I believe Dan Forden, who did the sounds for Mortal Kombat also did the sound on MM and incorporated a few sound bites from MK. I'm not 100% sure what the logic is, but it seems to be related to consecutive shots up the damsel ramp.

Man that makes sense, we've heard "something" and could never make it out, but that was probably it.

#1690 2 years ago

I've been debating about getting a AFM as well as I enjoy that game a lot too. Only concern is if it's too similar to MM, would it get boring?

I found it to be fun and the humor great like MM.

#1729 2 years ago

I use a separate power supply and relays to power things so nothing is tied directly to the stock boards. Safer that way and I have more control.

#1762 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I was cleaning my pf with Novus last night and noticed some white hazy trails on the inlane down to the flippers. It's obviously from the ball traveling, but is there any way to clean it up? I've only had the game 3 months, and can't imagine what it might look like in a couple of years.
And the mylar are the trolls seems to be coming up a bit. It's at the point in the middle of the trolls at the bottom, where one edge is slightly overlapping the other.
Any help would be appreciated

I would not being using Novus on the playfield, even #1 is still a bit abrasive. That's just my opinion though. I would clean with microfiber cloth and use good old fashioned carnauba wax.

#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

If anyone near Ohio is interested in trading their MMr for an original MM, please let me know.

Why would anyone want to do that?

I chose MMr for the updated electronics and being a new game.

Although value wise if the original is in good shape that would work out in favor of the MMr user. Original in good shape collect a hefty price.

#1787 2 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Sorry, if I sound stupid but I am new to the hobby. MMR is my first and only machine I own. (And may be the only game I ever own due to the pricing and size of these machines) I am 99% sure my game is an LE.

Someone could have swapped the trim potentially, the plaque is the only real indictator for a LE I think.

As for the hobby/pricing. Some games demand a lot of money but others don't. There are good machines to be had at all price ranges. Don't think you have to spend $8k every time to get a good game.

#1789 2 years ago

Serial number would be the correct indicator whether it's an LE or not, not necessarily just a plaque..

Very true. My bad.

#1792 2 years ago

You didn't lose anything. Shaker can be purchased separately as well. I'd recommend it as it adds a lot to the game.

#1794 2 years ago

Interesting, looks neat, but wonder if it's too much light, might be at least for me!

#1796 2 years ago

Every stadium needs some cheerleaders.

LOL

#1809 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I think purple looks the best!

I agree I did purple as well but mine are run by a relay and so they turn off to let the other effects work, lighting call outs etc.

1 week later
#1829 2 years ago

All Royals, only Master of Trolls also lit. Gotta ways to go...

Well that's arguably the hardest one to get, next to Castle Crusher Unless you get Smack-A-Troll...

#1854 2 years ago

My MMr is cracking at the corners. I need to get some angle brackets to support it on the inside so it doesn't get worse.

#1857 2 years ago

Have you been nudging\smacking it?

Not really, I'm pretty gentle.

2 months later
#2142 2 years ago

I submitted a ticket with CGC as the color coding is not completed on Save the Calves mode if you have the HD color upgrade.

Fun mode btw I also entered MOO as my initials for high score

#2143 2 years ago

Also have been noticing my castle gate has been staying up/getting stuck up a lot more. Common issue? Easy fix?

#2145 2 years ago
Quoted from Plunger069:

Check the bolt on the bottom of the solenoid for the gate. The bolt on mine fell out and the gate would not open al all.

It works, just intermittent... just seems like when switching players it forgets where it should be sometimes.

3 months later
#2632 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Got my MMr working again and gave it some test plays. Got every extra ball I know of (video mode, castle super jackpot, etc) I got to bftk on Ball one. Then I hit all the shots. Trolls come up. Ball gets hung up on the right troll while my timer is ticking!! Gave it a nudge (I had to do this earlier in the game on that stupid right troll) and...Tilt. Yep. Do over. My son walks up and says, “did you have any troll bombs?” Yeah. Like three.

For me i just had to rotate the spring clip and that solved the ball getting stuck behind the right troll. It's the little retention clip that holds the spring in. Rotate it so the curved part sticks out instead of the ends.

Hope that helps.

#2638 2 years ago

Obviously didn't see the whole game but he seems like a decent player.

That all red lighting looks like ass, IMO.

#2671 2 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

YESSSS! Same for me. The upgraded speakers and sub were causing a super-annoying buzzing sound on the mid-right side of my cabinet. It sounded like bad electrical noise. Installed tape, and it's GONE...

wait, what mod is this? I went crazy with my speakers and sub, i do have some rattling...

#2703 2 years ago

It’s not MMr but my MMr’s cousin show d up today

C9E2AA0A-0592-4C3C-A491-960F858968D3 (resized).jpeg

#2717 2 years ago

Finally had time to put my powder coated parts on MMr, got these at the Chicago pinball expo, figured they would look good and i was right!

IMG_0070 (resized).jpg

IMG_0069 (resized).jpg

IMG_0068 (resized).jpg

#2719 2 years ago
Quoted from AbeVigoda:

That looks really good, do you know the color?

I don't unfortunately.. not even sure if i grabbed the contact info for the guy i bought it from at the show. I was shocked at how well it matched though.

#2733 2 years ago

You guys crack me up... the shaker is not that strong...

Ever play a Road Show? THAT's a strong shaker

#2750 2 years ago
Quoted from Ajax:

So this is my Aerosmith with shaker motor. The flipper fidelity speakers are on full blast with bass. I had to get the tape it was a rattle nightmare. What a difference the tape made. Beware though, the glass comes flying out when you unlock the bar. It makes contact with the glass and the rails very slick.

So you're saying it's just scotch tape? j/k

#2759 2 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

So should I buy the whole cliffys set and just the one mantis?
Any other must haves that I should bu6 and install before I play

Personal preference. I didn't install any of those and don't have any issues with my MMr.

#2763 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

You might want to reconsider. Depending on how many games you've put in, there may not be any signs of wear as of yet, but the inevitability is, it will! The castle entrance, and lock hole will get chewed up in time. The edge opposite to the small castle door, shooter lane, and drain hole will also begin to chip away as you put more mileage on your machine.
If you don't want to install a full set, I think the minimum should be all the areas mentioned above. You might want to check with a few owners who have had the game a while to see that unprotected games are almost guaranteed to show signs of wear eventually.

I probably have close to 1000 games, everything looks fine so far... not saying adding protection isn't a good thing, but i haven't seen a need for it yet. Be it laziness or otherwise

To open up a can of worms, and i'm sure everyone has an opinion, but i've also heard that the metal protectors can scuff up the ball more, which just leads to more wear on the playfield elsewhere. I'm sure that's like a--holes and opinions, everyone has one...

2 weeks later
#2868 2 years ago
Quoted from hillbilly:

Did you disclose that you needed the topper for a MMr? The cable should be long enough to hook up to your power supply terminals in the bottom of the cabinet. I would call Chris Marquette at Cointaker and he probably can hook you up. I personally use a secondary power supply and splitter board for my mods but you should be able to hook up right to your power supply by hooking into the positive and ground terminals.

I do the same and have a secondary power supply for mods etc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisnack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside