Topic Stats

• 4,915 posts
  • 468 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Puckstop
  • Topic is favorited by 265 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 600 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200123_141829 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190819_175757 (resized).jpg
IMG_4641 (resized).JPG
Monster-Bash-Translite (resized).jpg
Monster-Bash-Translite-1 (resized).jpg
Attack-From-Mars-square (resized).jpg
AFM  (resized).jpg
Attack-From-Mars-table-6 (resized).jpg
238385DE-4D61-45E6-A1FC-6E69B4EE2406 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4298 (resized).JPG
0EBB2CDF-C0CC-4115-BEAB-5A60471E54D0 (resized).jpeg
52F32CC1-5E75-40B1-8E89-D1E086DC6339 (resized).jpeg
5A3FDCCD-7068-4E71-9208-6E60B939A13A (resized).jpeg
20191218_213207.jpg
20191218_173406 (resized).jpg
20191218_165621 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1 first pic Posted by SuperPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3445 anti scratch tape Posted by Jarbyjibbo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aukraut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1584 2 years ago

Question for the collective: talking to Game Room Guys (GRG) yesterday they said that PPS/CGC is going to do another small run for MMR Standards in June after the initial AFMr run and that GRG was taking preorders. I hadn't heard or seen this mentioned on Pinside, but I went ahead and put a refundable deposit on it.

Has anyone here heard this news as well??

#1587 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes, it was announced.
LTG : )

Quoted from dzoomer:

Saw a post on it earlier.

Thanks for the confirmation guys....and one of the best things I've seen in my return to the hobby after 10 years absence is that Lloyd The Great still active within the hobby......it's been about 12 years since I got to visit with you at SS in Hopkins while I was up there on work, but still fondly remember meeting you and visiting SS! Keep herding those Geese Lloyd!!!

#1590 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Yes, there will be a run of MMR's targetting Jun/July ... we are taking deposits for the MMR's for that run now and so now is the time, otherwise I think we run out to 2018 for possibly another run ... if anyone interested just contact gamesales@planetarypinball.com
these games will be built at chicago gaming.
rick

Thanks for the confirmation Rick......Built at Chicago Gaming and not sub'd out to Stern???

#1592 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. It's been posted and announced. Chicago Gaming built their own assembly line for this.
LTG : )

Thanks again LTG......like I said, been out of the hobby for a while....it will take a while to catch back up!

2 weeks later
#1736 2 years ago

First issue with mine, the right side of the playfield is scraping against the right siderail while lifting the playfield, starting to scrape off the black paint. Check the left versus right side as the playfield is in the lifted position, the left side has about 1/8" of room, the right is against the siderail. Nudging the playfield to the left works for a half a lift, until the playfield moves back against the right siderail again. Posted a ticket with CGC, but wanted to see if anyone else has run into this. Attached a pic showing the damage.

Also had some weird dangers/tilts without moving the machine, happening primarily in multi-ball mode, seemed to coincide with the top left skill shot lane.....and then it went away.....ahhh, the joys of tweaking and fine-tuning a new pin.....sigh....

IMG_4369 (resized).jpg

#1739 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Yeah hafta be careful sliding the playfield out and back with the razor edge side rails. Mine has enough space, barely, to carefully maneuver it without scalping the playfield sides. Others have suggested using a dremel and sandpaper too to dull the side rails. Yours is not the playfield side plywood like mine, but mounted parts above the playfield getting scraped, I do not have that issue.

Very frustrating having scraping like this on a 1 day old machine.....I've had dozens of machines over my lifetime and this a first where the cabinet is that tight with respect to the playfield. I do hope CGC can come up with some kind of adjustment for me.......sigh.....

#1744 2 years ago

Found the perfect tool to remove the sharp edges on the side rails: A Bright Boy track cleaner!

Used in the model railroading hobby to clean railroad track, I just used one to remove the sharp edge off of the side rails on my MMR. Tape off the surrounding area (side art, inside of the cabinet) and just slide the Bright Boy back and forth along the sharp edge. Removes the sharp edge right off and abrasive part matches the grain on the aluminum of the side rails.

Bright Boys can be found in most hobby shops, especially those that specialize in model trains....

s-l300 (resized).jpg

#1751 2 years ago

Another time/date related question, but a different one:

I set the date and time in the normal WPC menu, however when I turn the machine off over night and turn the machine back on the next day the machine has not kept time, i.e. the machine still shows the time as it was when I turned it off the night before and did not keep track of time elapsed while it was turned off.

Shouldn't the beaglebone keep the WPC time up to date???

#1774 2 years ago

MMR Shooter lane switch: should the metal piece the ball trips once it come into the shooter lane be vertical or at an angle sideways to the right? Mine is at an angle, which I've never seen done before, but all of my past pins had manual plungers.....

#1776 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The switch wire is supposed to be vertical.
Maybe your PF has shifted to one side a little.

That's what I thought, but wanted to double check. Mine is at an angle of about 45 degrees wrt the playfield instead of 90 degrees....thanks!

#1784 2 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Sorry, if I sound stupid but I am new to the hobby. MMR is my first and only machine I own. (And may be the only game I ever own due to the pricing and size of these machines) I am 99% sure my game is an LE. It was donated to me so I do not know who distributed the game. It has the color DMD, the black interior paint, and the trims. However, I have no idea where the plaque is. Could someone please tell me where to find the plaque? I have looked around the machine. Is it possible that my game may not have come with a plaque?

The plaque is on the playfield apron between the scorecards, just above the lockbar

3 weeks later
#1888 2 years ago

Does anyone sell or can recommend lollipop rails for MMR?

Bought these instead, fit perfect on my MMr...

ebay.com link

#1895 2 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

on a HUO with decals.....really not needed at all, those will yellow and be an eye sore

Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Sounds horrible considering they are not needed to begin with

I don't mind spending $13 to help protect a $8500 game, cheap insurance, as I see other HUO pins with wear around the buttons, decals or not.....and even if they do yellow some in a few years I'll spend another $13 bucks to replace them, besides they are on a real dark bluish black, so even if they yellow a bit it won't be noticeable.

#1896 2 years ago

Couple of photos of the button protectors installed, they go on without any adhesive, held in place by the button which has to be temporarily removed to put the protectors in place.

IMG_4592 (resized).JPG

IMG_4593 (resized).JPG

#1919 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is there a way to adjust the strength of the slingshots?
And, will turning the shooter strength to light reduce the wear in the shooter lane?

Cliffy has a new protector for the shooter lane kickout

#1931 2 years ago

Is this the ball eject cliffy or are there 2 cliffy's now for the shooter lane\ball eject?

This one

IMG_4687 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2003 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, I was meaning the 'Madness' multiball before 'Royal Madness'. I understood you can stack them (i.e. Complete all items before shooting Merlin hole) - but whenever I play MM, it's *extremely* difficult NOT hitting that Merlin hole, even by accident.

The one thing that helps is to complete Damsel first, as a missed Damsel shot often ends up in the Merlin hole.

Real satisfying getting Multiball Madness with all the madnesses lit.....even more satisfying is to start seeing the points add up from all the Jackpots!!!

#2025 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

1. I finally opened the back glass of the machine, never did that before, and just tightened the screws around that speaker.. solved. Thank goodness it wasn't more complicated then that
2. I think your right, I have to level the game, maybe its off the right a bit
Thanks
MM

If you've never opened the backbox before, did you also install the backbox wingbolts??? They are a must, help keep the backbox in place to the cabinet as I wouldn't rely on the back latch........

1 week later
#2042 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Probably the biggest thing I love about MMR is the music and that knocker. That thing scares the crap out of me! It feels like its going to break a hole in the machine .. awesome!

True!!! My dogs wouldn't stop barking for 20 minutes the first few times I set off the knocker on MMr.....

#2062 2 years ago
Quoted from Plunger069:

Here are the speakers I picked up at Best Buy. They had them in stock locally. The installation was easy and they fit the openings perfectly.
The music on the original speakers seemed to be "out front" with the voices and sound effects being "behind" it. Therefore if you wanted to hear the voices and sound effects the volume had to be turned up to a setting that made the music way too loud.
The new speakers seem to balance the music, voices, and sound effects. Every sound is very sharp and clear. We are hearing call outs that we were not able to understand before.
I still think there is something wrong, because I cannot hear the drawbridge chains sound effect until the volume is at least at 8.
I did not replace the sub, but The speakers alone are a vast improvement over the stock speakers.

Put the same ones in myself yesterday afternoon, 100% agreement with everything said. I did wire them for 8 ohm hookup by putting them in series as described in the post linked above by SuperPinball.

1 month later
#2174 2 years ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

Who has Titan rubber on their game? Curious on your feedback folks?

I have it on mine, plays great. Purple on the lower half of the playfield, red on the upper half. I also changed the posts out on the lower half to purple. The only place I do not use Titans is on post sleeves, they cause way to many airballs. Swapped back to black rubber on those.

Here is a before and after comparison pic:

IMG_4479 (resized).JPG

#2189 2 years ago

Has anyone had to file down the MMR side rails because of dangerous sharpness? Just wondering if taking off the side rails is the way to go or file them in place? I would be worried about metal residue in the cabinet near the electronics, cleanup seems to be a worry.
I bought a train track sanding block that was recommended here to do the work with.
How easy is it to remove the side rails, especially up at the back box end of the cabinet?

B/W style side rails are stuck on with double-sided tape, so a BIG pain to remove and put back without damaging them.

When I used the sanding block (bright boy) on mine I taped off the sidearm below the rail to help protect it. Took off the playfield glass, and tape up the inside of the rail to protect the playfield so the sticky side is up once it gets to the rail, and put on another piece to overlap. The bright boy will not create much dust, and the tape will catch most of it.

2 weeks later
#2230 2 years ago

I'd secure it to the top somehow, as someone will shake the machine enough sooner or later and that topper will come crashing down........

#2240 2 years ago
Quoted from Plunger069:

I would have to agree that MMr does feel slightly rickety in comparison to AFMr. I notice on my MMR that when you lift the playfield, you need to work it side to side so that you don't scrape the sides against the side rails. Feels as if the cabinet isn't square or is too small for the playfield.

Agreed, mine has the same issue. Only real fault I can find on mine.......

3 weeks later
#2351 2 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Anyone try swapping the display from an AFMr into a MMr yet? Just wondering if the electronics have what it takes to drive that puppy and have it look proper.

According to Doug it is NOT plug and play. The CPU and video boards changed from MMr to AFMr. A bigger video for MMr would require significant re-engineering.....

1 week later
#2402 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Hey, do MMR's come with a manual?

Mine did, it was a Stern assembled model....

#2418 2 years ago

I am looking for advice. I had a busted right troll head on my MMR Standard. (Actually the lower hole in the back of the troll head is easily compromised as that hole has a very small margin of plastic at the bottom edge of the hole that breaks easily.) Anyway, after I swapped the troll head, the troll comes up from the playfield with the left troll when trolls are first started, as it should. Then that right troll immediate acts like it got a third strike and goes back into the playfield without any actual ball hits to it. Any idea what needs adjusting?

Go into the switch diagnostics of the WMS menu....does it show that switch as closed??

#2432 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

dont forget the cliffys

Quoted from Plunger069:

I wouldn't suggest a playfield protector. I installed one on my GOT and STTNG and hated it. Cliffy's for sure.

Definite emphatic yes on the Cliffys, and I’d also recommend the Mantis protectors as well as a combo to protect the castle holes

#2435 2 years ago
Quoted from BigMorty:

Thanks LTG for the link. lermods, I’d th protector you have different than the one on the link LTG put above?
I have Cliffys coming also, did not know I needed both them and Mantis!
Can I play a few dozen games before installing all this, not sure I can wait

Here is a pic of all of the Mantis MM protectors. I have both the Cliffy's and Mantis installed, all but the Merlin hole as I couldn't get either one to fit to my satisfaction. The Mantis one with path engraving on it is especially important as it protects the front of the castle.

medieval-madness-mmr-protector-set (resized).jpg

#2439 2 years ago
Quoted from BigMorty:

Thanks aukraut, I have the Mantis protectors on order! How much time to put these and the Cliffys on for a fairly newbie?

I'd set aside a weekend afternoon, but you should be able to do it under 2 hours. Just take your time, follow the instructions on the respective websites, and you'll be fine.

#2473 2 years ago

What are the recommended mylar spots?

I put in: Drop from the Damsel tower, kickout from the castle moats, kickout from Merlin.

1 week later
#2516 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The question I have is not so much the speakers, it’s the quality of sound the game puts out. Are the electronics just better on AFMr? I don’t need an upgraded cabinet sub, I have an external Polk sub to give me all the bass I need. I want better sound from the back box speakers. Again, if you have crap going into the speakers, you get crap coming out. I always thought MMr sound was good, but as soon as I got my AFMr, I realized how bad it actually is relatively speaking.

Backbox speaker replacement does help the quality of the sound, you will hear things that are muffled by the factory speakers. I've upgraded my backbox speakers with some Kicker car speakers and it is a nice improvement. There is however still another improvement that needs to be done, but that needs to be from the factory: the voice quotes are output at a much lower level than the background music and game sounds, overwhelming the voices. They need to bring the voice output levels up so that they can be heard.l I have messaged Doug at CGC about this, and he acknowledged the request as having been brought up before and it was on their nice to have to-do list. At that time CGC was gearing up for the AFMr release and busy with that, so they may need a reminder from others to bubble it back up......

#2529 2 years ago
Quoted from mamefan:

I've had a new MMR since Wednesday, and the ball has gotten stuck on this ramp gate twice. I had to slide the glass down to get the ball out. Is this common? I just bent the gate a little on the end trying to fix it. It might work.

400+ games on my MMr...never seen that.

#2554 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Does anyone know if there is a good 12v location to tap off from inside the backbox? I wanted to mount an LED strip in the back above the castle.
Thanks!

I ran a 2-wire cable from the 6.3V LED Strip at the edge of the backbox passthru, along the wire harness to the playfield, wire-tied it, and soldered it to the GI near the castle. I wanted it to go off/on with the GI.

#2557 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Thanks for the details AUKraut. The strip I have is 12v so I'll need to tap something other than GI, plus I'd ideally want this to stay on constant rather than flash. I suppose worse case I can trace back some wires from the front coin door LEDs that are 12V and work my way back to the backbox.

Understand....the reason I went with getting a 6.3v strip was for the GI, as I didn’t want the strip to drown out the flashing around the castle when it gets destroyed. Food for thought....

You do have 12V in the back box at J1 on the main board if I remember correctly, that is where I attached my speaker lights. Do be careful to not mess up the MB by mistake....

#2620 2 years ago

Is this at home? How many home MMRs have the tilt enabled?

All my home pins have tilt enabled, helps when one practices for league and/or tournaments.....

#2626 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Just wondering if all the new CG MMRs have been built and have shipped? I am supposed to be getting mine this weekend as its on a tk. for delivery to distributor today.

Yep, according to a post on Pinside by Doug last week:

“Hello everyone!
It’s hard to believe that the holiday season is knocking on the door. This year has blown by so quickly.
Update:
1. AFMR’s are coming down the line. There was again a slight lag in switching over the line from MMR, but things are progressing quite well. We continue to produce games six days a week.
2. We ended up building 300 MMR’s. While some are still waiting to be matched with some overseas containers, they are all allocated to our dealers.“

1 week later
#2661 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

is there a trick for pulling the speaker panel out? Mine is "stuck" and doesn't want to lift.....

Nope, should just lift, allowing you to pivot it forward....

You did remove the translite I presume....

#2683 2 years ago
Quoted from AbeVigoda:

I'm finally going to order an MMr in the next month or two, and want to pick up the right accessories.
Mantis & Cliffy protectors, new speakers and a sub (maybe the pinnovator package?), probably a pinstadium kit. Any other must-haves?
One thing I'd like but haven't found is a headphone kit, is there one that works on MMr?

Pinbits plastic protectors are a must IMO....

2 weeks later
#2790 2 years ago
Quoted from GGBGROUP:

Just got mine and loving this game! Question on the skill shot when you launch a new ball. Is the consensus that the 'true' skill shot (hold left flipper) + possible castle points is a better option than going for the much easier 50K points + bonus multiplier via lane selection?

No ball save on the left flipper skill shot....

#2809 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Are you guys still hearing the "Do you have a horse" damsel callout? I haven't heard that one in quite a while.

Heard it last night.......

#2826 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I am not a mod guy at all. People make their games look so crappy with some of the toys and crap they put on them. However I really want just a little more light on the front of the castle / drawbridge area. Any ideas for something that is completely reversible and tasteful?

I added these spotlights to the top of the slingshots, tying them to the slingshot GI.

59C94EB3-80D2-40D3-9398-246C98D08A4D (resized).jpeg

#2831 2 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

There's two spotlights shinning on the castle with yellow bulbs I think. Goto comet pinball and look at their spotlight bulbs. I would just change the originals with something brighter...

Quoted from brainmegaphone:

This is good too but I’m not sure if it reaches the castle as well as I would like...

Trust me, adding these two spotlights and adding the right blubs in the two added as well as the two existing as suggested by tslayer makes the castle light up just right......Here is a pic with and without the spotlights using Comet Pinball's OPTIX MAXIMUS Warm White bulbs in the spotlights above the slingshots as well as replacements for the stock Amber bulbs on either side of the castle.

MMR Spots B&A (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2900 2 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Ok it looks fine from underneath. So interesting issue, If I turn the lights on in my basement and play it works. If I turn the lights off or really dim it seems to work 3 out of 10 times.

Sounds like your transmitter opto is flaky......

#2933 2 years ago

Check the part numbers with Marco or Pinballife, they may have it in stock. Mantis also sells an upgraded gate:

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/medieval-madness/

1 week later
#2989 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Can anyone confirm on their machine, is there mylar around the pops from the factory?
I feel like there are, but on AFMR I'm not so sure.

My MMR has factory mylar between the pops

1 week later
#3015 2 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Hey guys,
sorry if this has been asked or talked about to death... i am not on top of all things MMR... but I heard they were talking about making a Screen upgrade kit for MMR so it was like AFMR... is that true? or is it somebodies wishful thinking

CGC has confirmed here on Pinside that they are looking into this, but no promises on timeframes/cost, as it is not just as simple as a swapover from the AFMr system.

1 month later
#3135 1 year ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

Yes I know but I don't trust myself with this....haha. I am horrible at misplacing items but I will prob do this until I get it fixed.

I've got a hook for each pin on the door by my pins, keeps them out of harms way plus I know where to look for them.

3 weeks later
#3212 1 year ago
Quoted from CosmoJoe:

Just joined the club! I cannot wait We had an MMr at work which I played daily and never thought I would own. Ownership change at the company resulted in the pins going with the owner I realized after a few months I really really miss this pin and wanted it in my collection. Have cliffy and mantis protectors incoming; should get here around the time of MMr delivery. I am pretty comfortable working on MMr as I maintained the one at work. Had very few issues so I am hoping mine is just as solid.
So one question I have is the merlin hole protectors. Looks like pinbits is sold out atm. Difficulty in installation seems to be a common theme in posts I have read. Mantis says theirs is made thin so you can bend as needed for installation but I saw a post suggesting not doing this. Is this just a tough spot to protect properly?

Congrats!!

I have all of Mantis and Cliffys all over my MMr as well, as well as Pinbits plastic protectors. Everywhere but the Merlin hole, as I could not make any of the manufactured solutions work, look, and fit to my satisfaction.....so I left it without one. Hundreds of games later my Merlin hole still looks fine. FWIW, and YMMV...

#3248 1 year ago
Quoted from CosmoJoe:

Curious if anyone install an LED light strip for the backboard to light up the castle area. I noticed they come in a few different colors, but with the coloring in the back it seems blue or white would probably look the best.

I've got a Blue strip of 6 LEDs that are tied to the GI above the castle to light up the background. I have also replaced the flasher domes on either side of the castle changed to purple. Spots onto the Castle have been changed to Warm White.

MMR Castle Playfield (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 37.50
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wood Dale, IL
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Peachtree City, GA
€ 9.10
€ 3.70
$ 229.99
$ 16.00
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 11.00
$ 50.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 89.99
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aukraut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside