speaker (resized).png
IMG_1579 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5413 (resized).jpeg
06FF4B3E-436D-4FDF-9B65-C28103E2CBF9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5411 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 first pic Posted by SuperPinball (8 years ago)

Post #3445 anti scratch tape Posted by Jarbyjibbo (5 years ago)

Post #4945 differences on all MMR versions Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #5853 Damsel trapper ball, Right troll trapped ball - fixes Posted by evh347 (3 years ago)

Post #6402 Speaker Kit and Widescreen upgrade manual Posted by NeilMcRae (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1483 7 years ago

Stupid question(s) for the week. I purchased the merlin hole protector from pinbits. It says it is compatible with the mantis hole protector. I've read about issues installing the mantis so I was going to hold off on doing that. Is there any requirement that the mantis be installed first or can you install it at a later time? Second question, I was surprised to see a piece of mylar the same shape as the protector. Is that typical for these types of protectors? I assume installation is simply remove the one post, put down the mylar, put the protector on top of the mylar positioned such that the post screw goes through the hole in the protector, replace the post and viola. Am I missing a step? Finally, I got the mylar protection pack at the same time. Lots of pieces of mylar in it. What are the top recommended spots to put it down?
Thanks

#1548 7 years ago

My strategy is to keep pounding the black posts beside the ramps. I can hit these 10-15 times in a row, this is followed by shots to the yellow troll target while trying to hit the castle (either entrance). This allows me to light the troll target, bounce out of the merlin hole at least 4 times in a row (no foam for me!) before landing in the merlin hole, starting trolls, hitting one troll 3 times, one troll twice and STDM. (I swear if they awarded points for those black posts, I'd have 100mm on every ball)

When I'm not employing the above, here is what I have been trying lately. Get one madness. Then try to get multiple madnesses to increase the value of the castle hurry up before aiming for the castle. When it works, it is a great strategy. When it doesn't my wife gives me hell for leaving all those points on the table.

#1551 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Been wondering if I should invest in a good overhead streaming system with cams and mics to catch the full effect while I'm doing this so I can post an instructional video.

Good idea, except the mic part...at least in our house, the commentary would be a tad salty

#1553 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Yeah... but you don't get the full experience of all those post hits and stdm drains from the trolls without the ever present "what the f$%&!" and such thrown in!!

Good point

#1564 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Seriously though, do you guys find the right ramp harder to hit than the left?

Yes, my wife and I are also very good at hitting the ramp to save the damsel and watching the ball go up and up, slower and slower until the ball is at the very precipice of dropping down to save her.."c'mon, just a bit more".. "it's almost there" ..."you got this"..."F@$KIN GRAVITY" (On the other hand, I swear the ball sometimes defies gravity when it is 3/4 down the inlane and magically rises up and over the post into the outlane)

3 weeks later
#1749 6 years ago

Strategy question. First, do you go for the skill shot? If so, what is your approach to hit a loop to get the hurry up? Do you try to time your shot as it comes racing around or do you try to catch/control the ball first? If you try to control it, what is your approach? Seems like the best strategy is skill shot, control the ball then go for a ramp but it comes around so fast I can't come up with an effective method to control the ball.

#1768 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I can't catch the ball on the right flipper coming out of the jets, so I usually just let it bounces off the right, over to the left, then back to the right for a cradle.

Yeah, if I don't go for the skill shot, I am able to control the ball coming out of the jets. I'm referring to the skill shot where you hold down a flipper button while hitting ball launch and the ball comes flying across the top at 100 MPH to the left flipper.

4 weeks later
#1915 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

2 extra balls, and looking like I might see BFTK for the time!
Drain my first ball,

Little known fact...the callout "Get the extra ball!" you hear when you light the extra ball had to be shortened from the originally planned callout. It was actually supposed to be "Get the extra ball, so when you play the extra ball I can immediately throw that ball STDM or through the outlane destroying your dreams of a good game as I rip your effing heart out!"

#1917 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I'm glad they shortened it.

As am I; but believe me, I still hear it as it was intended to be

#1949 6 years ago

Looked at the video and thought your game played slower, my slope is 7+ degrees. As far as the side drains, I saw nothing noteworthy there. I can't tell you how many times I've had a ball go 2/3 down the inlane only to have some magical power spin it up and over the divider into the outlane.

As far as slope, it should be consistent; however, finding an instrument that is long enough and precise enough and then place it exactly parallel to the playfield sides is darn near impossible. Add to that the impact of any side to side out-of-level condition and I suspect variation is more likely due to measurement than the playfield itself.

#1959 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I have 1200 plays on it which is more than I play my other pins but not enough to normally need a flipper rebuildkit.
I found my right flipper started sticking briefly in the up position only rarely which made troubleshooting difficult.
Then I noticed that one of the allen bolts had fallen out of the coil stop letting it get slightly out of alignment. So I lined it up and replaced the bolt and it still sticks occasionally. I pulled it apart and cleaned and checked everthing and couldn't find any problems. The end stop has a very slight mark where the shaft hits as you would expect but isn't mushroomed or badly worn.
Anyway as I have been unable to fix it I'm going to install a rebuild kit. Fingers crossed that fixes it.

It's interesting. I had this exact same issue. Out of nowhere, the right flipper started hanging up. Couldn't find any rubbing anywhere. So, I cleaned it up, replaced the coil sleeve, re-positioned and tightened things up, adjusted the flipper, etc. None of these actions seemed to be addressing any noticeable problem; however, in the aggregate, viola, everything was fine. I'm confident that 90% of what I did was of no benefit. If you figure out the exact cause, let me know. I always hate it when something that was broken starts working but you have no idea why.

#1965 6 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Make sure you have the proper gap between the flipper plunger/crank assembly and the plastic bushing that the flipper shaft sits in. They actually make a small plastic gauge for setting it properly. If it's not gapped properly and it's too tight it can cause binding.

This was actually my initial guess, but all looked fine. Now that having been said, after disassembly and reassembly I may have unwittingly adjusted back to the necessary gap. I was not aware there was a tool to set the gap. What's it called and who carries it?
Thanks

#1966 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Un-even wear on the coil stops can cause un-even flipper travel.
Debris on the coils stops can cause flippers to stick as well as debris in the coil sleeves.
The debris is metal powder from coil stop wear.
Its very fine like toner powder and gets everywhere.

Yeah, pretty familiar with that situation. I keep a number of different coil stops and will replace if I have any concerns. Can't remember if I did that this time.

#1967 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sand or file off the bottom of the plunger slightly. This will freshen it up a bit.

I've thought about doing this but I was always afraid that it would require some other adjustment and you get in that situation where you are adjusting a ton of things to get everything back to where it needs to be. (My trepidation stems from working on an old jukebox...there are about 300 different things that need to be properly aligned and as soon as you mess with one, the dominoes start falling)

So, can you safely file the bottom without needing to change things like EOS?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
PinSound

$ 29.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 45.00
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-owners-club-all-things-mmr-discussed?tu=Oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.