Topic Stats

• 4,711 posts
  • 442 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by whitey
  • Topic is favorited by 249 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 583 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pic1 (resized).jpg
triceratops02.jpg
face off poster simple layers.jpg
sidon dash river layout one.jpg
sandman one.jpg
plane_green_b_w sketch.jpg
oldman_bodies.jpg
Ichabod Fletcher Finish.jpg
canyon_raid01.jpg
Brathwaite_Constance_Finish.jpg
garden three color copy.jpg
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4371.JPG
20191114_194543.jpg
20191114_195108.jpg
20191114_195036.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4711 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 95.
#1951 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Looked at the video and thought your game played slower, my slope is 7+ degrees. As far as the side drains, I saw nothing noteworthy there. I can't tell you how many times I've had a ball go 2/3 down the inlane only to have some magical power spin it up and over the divider into the outlane.
As far as slope, it should be consistent; however, finding an instrument that is long enough and precise enough and then place it exactly parallel to the playfield sides is darn near impossible. Add to that the impact of any side to side out-of-level condition and I suspect variation is more likely due to measurement than the playfield itself.

It's funny, I had my pin playing nearly perfect, but then had to replace a coil sleeve and when I put it back together, something was off. Decided I'd change up the level of the machine to see how it would play, and now I can't get back to that "sweet spot".

I think my flippers might be part of the issue. I lined the bats up laying on a toothpick without the rubbers. When I put the rubbers on, and I place a straight edge down the inlane, the rubber does not touch the ruler.

I hear a lot of people saying to lined the flippers up with the lane. I'm assuming by that we mean the tip (small end) of the flipper touches? The base (big end) is set lower and regardless of the angle, there will always be a space.

Is this normal, or yet something else with my MMR?

And one final thing... Not sure if this was always happening, but I just noticed when I enter Multiball, for some reason, balls rolling down the right side will hit the top of the slingshot, and get a kick out. I don't recall if my game always did this or if it just started?!?! Should it always be clearing the slingshot and dropping to the flipper? Does something slow the ball down in Multiball that is creating a slower drop off the guides?

#1952 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Starting to think my game has it out for me.
If you have a sec to look at this quick video, you'll see two brutal side drains right off the slingshots at the end. I played an MMR the other day, and it played nothing like this.
» YouTube video
I'm set at 6.5 and 0 degrees across.
I'm seriously ready to sell this thing or throw it out of the window!!! Hahaha

Drop the game down on the left side (horizontal pitch adjustment) 1/10 of a degree or a tiny bit more. This will correct the left orbit geometry and also correct the right side drains.

A lot of games favor one side or the other. Horizontal pitch adjustments will correct this.

Increase the pitch of the playfield to 7.0 to 7.2 degrees (average). The game will be less floaty. Adjust the pitch just to the point that the floaty-ness goes away, watch the game when others play it for a good over all view.

Its a misconception that games have to be perfectly level or that there is a perfect pitch.
Its a piece of plywood with a ball bearing rolling on it.

I look at how a game plays and tweak accordingly.

I look for balanced game play over-all.

Your video was great.

#1953 2 years ago

Has anyone had issues with the game starting to pump balls into the field as if it was multiball but without triggering one? That happened last night as I was playing, I'm suspecting the ball through opto board but haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

#1954 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I'm suspecting the ball through opto board but haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Power off. I'd reseat the connectors to the ball trough opto boards a couple times and be sure they are on tight.

LTG : )

#1955 2 years ago

Here's a short video of mine with some nice mods including the special lightning backboard.

#1956 2 years ago

I think I may have figured out the problem to why it seemed I could not get my game dialed in again.

I was readjusting the flippers when I noticed one was going g a little higher. If you see the images, they are both aligned with the toothpick, but once pressed, the right one extends more than the left.

Replaced the flipper arm and the flipper itself, and it feels better. I think the shaft on the stock flippers had wear on it, so it was not pivoting smoothly.

I kinda like the look of the yellow too!

IMG_20170609_234332 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170609_234235 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170610_001105 (resized).jpg

#1957 2 years ago

In case anyone is interested in the flipper sword and emblem set, there is only one left in stock:

http://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p80/Medieval_Madness_Full_Combo_Kit_Special.html

#1958 2 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Do they need rebuilding already? You must play lot!
Marc

I have 1200 plays on it which is more than I play my other pins but not enough to normally need a flipper rebuildkit.

I found my right flipper started sticking briefly in the up position only rarely which made troubleshooting difficult.

Then I noticed that one of the allen bolts had fallen out of the coil stop letting it get slightly out of alignment. So I lined it up and replaced the bolt and it still sticks occasionally. I pulled it apart and cleaned and checked everthing and couldn't find any problems. The end stop has a very slight mark where the shaft hits as you would expect but isn't mushroomed or badly worn.

Anyway as I have been unable to fix it I'm going to install a rebuild kit. Fingers crossed that fixes it.

#1959 2 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I have 1200 plays on it which is more than I play my other pins but not enough to normally need a flipper rebuildkit.
I found my right flipper started sticking briefly in the up position only rarely which made troubleshooting difficult.
Then I noticed that one of the allen bolts had fallen out of the coil stop letting it get slightly out of alignment. So I lined it up and replaced the bolt and it still sticks occasionally. I pulled it apart and cleaned and checked everthing and couldn't find any problems. The end stop has a very slight mark where the shaft hits as you would expect but isn't mushroomed or badly worn.
Anyway as I have been unable to fix it I'm going to install a rebuild kit. Fingers crossed that fixes it.

It's interesting. I had this exact same issue. Out of nowhere, the right flipper started hanging up. Couldn't find any rubbing anywhere. So, I cleaned it up, replaced the coil sleeve, re-positioned and tightened things up, adjusted the flipper, etc. None of these actions seemed to be addressing any noticeable problem; however, in the aggregate, viola, everything was fine. I'm confident that 90% of what I did was of no benefit. If you figure out the exact cause, let me know. I always hate it when something that was broken starts working but you have no idea why.

#1960 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

It's interesting. I had this exact same issue. Out of nowhere, the right flipper started hanging up. Couldn't find any rubbing anywhere. So, I cleaned it up, replaced the coil sleeve, re-positioned and tightened things up, adjusted the flipper, etc. None of these actions seemed to be addressing any noticeable problem; however, in the aggregate, viola, everything was fine. I'm confident that 90% of what I did was of no benefit. If you figure out the exact cause, let me know. I always hate it when something that was broken starts working but you have no idea why.

Make sure you have the proper gap between the flipper plunger/crank assembly and the plastic bushing that the flipper shaft sits in. They actually make a small plastic gauge for setting it properly. If it's not gapped properly and it's too tight it can cause binding.

#1961 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Un-even wear on the coil stops can cause un-even flipper travel.

Debris on the coils stops can cause flippers to stick as well as debris in the coil sleeves.
The debris is metal powder from coil stop wear.
Its very fine like toner powder and gets everywhere.

#1962 2 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I have close to 1000 plays, and I've had the sticking problem twice. First time was within the first 100 plays. Replaced coil sleeve, and problem resolved.

Now I'm getting it again, and even after replacing the coil sleeve and stop, the left feels a little stickier than the right. I have to take another look.

Make sure you check your flipper opto as well. This was a problem on my IJ.

#1963 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I have close to 1000 plays, and I've had the sticking problem twice. First time was within the first 100 plays. Replaced coil sleeve, and problem resolved.
Now I'm getting it again, and even after replacing the coil sleeve and stop, the left feels a little stickier than the right. I have to take another look.
Make sure you check your flipper opto as well. This was a problem on my IJ.

Sand or file off the bottom of the plunger slightly. This will freshen it up a bit.

#1964 2 years ago

One thing I noticed playing last night, is that if a Multiball is going, most balls coming down the right lane (from the jets) end up hitting the top part of the right slingshot.

I can't remember if this was happening before I re-dialed the machine, so just wanted​to get some feedback.

#1965 2 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Make sure you have the proper gap between the flipper plunger/crank assembly and the plastic bushing that the flipper shaft sits in. They actually make a small plastic gauge for setting it properly. If it's not gapped properly and it's too tight it can cause binding.

This was actually my initial guess, but all looked fine. Now that having been said, after disassembly and reassembly I may have unwittingly adjusted back to the necessary gap. I was not aware there was a tool to set the gap. What's it called and who carries it?
Thanks

#1966 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Un-even wear on the coil stops can cause un-even flipper travel.
Debris on the coils stops can cause flippers to stick as well as debris in the coil sleeves.
The debris is metal powder from coil stop wear.
Its very fine like toner powder and gets everywhere.

Yeah, pretty familiar with that situation. I keep a number of different coil stops and will replace if I have any concerns. Can't remember if I did that this time.

#1967 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sand or file off the bottom of the plunger slightly. This will freshen it up a bit.

I've thought about doing this but I was always afraid that it would require some other adjustment and you get in that situation where you are adjusting a ton of things to get everything back to where it needs to be. (My trepidation stems from working on an old jukebox...there are about 300 different things that need to be properly aligned and as soon as you mess with one, the dominoes start falling)

So, can you safely file the bottom without needing to change things like EOS?

#1968 2 years ago

My mmr seems to tilt easier than any other machine I've played. I have the tilt bob adjusted as low as it can go but it still tilts with the slightest movement.

#1969 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I've thought about doing this but I was always afraid that it would require some other adjustment and you get in that situation where you are adjusting a ton of things to get everything back to where it needs to be. (My trepidation stems from working on an old jukebox...there are about 300 different things that need to be properly aligned and as soon as you mess with one, the dominoes start falling)
So, can you safely file the bottom without needing to change things like EOS?

You just file it off slightly to keep it from sticking to the coil stop.
And remove any mushrooming.

#1970 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

My mmr seems to tilt easier than any other machine I've played. I have the tilt bob adjusted as low as it can go but it still tilts with the slightest movement.

My original MM is like that.

I disconnected the tilt. As long as people don't abuse it, I leave it off.

#1971 2 years ago

Thanks for the tips about sticking flippers I will report back with my findings when I get a chance.

#1972 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me the part # for the slingshot switches? I can find the kicker in the manual, but not the 4 switches.

Thanks

#1973 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Can anyone tell me the part # for the slingshot switches? I can find the kicker in the manual, but not the 4 switches.

With bracket :

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=614

Without bracket

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=617

#1974 2 years ago

Cheers!

You need a "kicker" and "score" switch on each slingshot right?

And more thing I wanted to ask all of you MMR owners... Has anyone removed the mylar from the trolls? I find the slight ridge can change the direction of the ball rolling downward, and I'm curious to know if you even need the mylar for HUO where you regularly wax?

#1975 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Quoted from Damien:

Not on MMR. No diode on the switch. So you don't need the third lug.

You just need the above. Four of them, two each side. Up to you if you want with bracket or not. Without the bracket you'll need to reuse your old brackets. Cut off rivet, and reattach type stuff.

#1976 2 years ago

Anyone...?

Is it really necessary to have the mylar around the trolls if your game is HUO and you clean and wax regularly?

#1977 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone...?
Is it really necessary to have the mylar around the trolls if your game is HUO and you clean and wax regularly?

Depends where you are cleaning and waxing...If you leave the mylar, you won't have to in those spots.

#1978 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone...?

I wld keep it as that area can chip especially with the way the clearcoat is now. The ball will have movement around that area regardless due to the troll flaps.

#1979 2 years ago

Had only Payne's gate to beat, and everything else completed. Closest I've gotten...

Had I not totally shit the bed on the second Castle Multiball, I would have done it! Getting close!!!

IMG_20170613_163746 (resized).jpg

#1980 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Had only Payne's gate to beat, and everything else completed. Closest I've gotten...
Had I not totally shit the bed on the second Castle Multiball, I would have done it! Getting close!!!

Hard to see in a still picture, but Payne insert is blinking? Drawbridge down? How many gate hits? How many Royal Madnesses does it take to get here? What's your score? I've only completed 4 castles and Royal Madness once in the same game, 2 lit blue master inserts....

#1981 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Hard to see in a still picture, but Payne insert is blinking? Drawbridge down? How many gate hits? How many Royal Madnesses does it take to get here? What's your score? I've only completed 4 castles and Royal Madness once in the same game, 2 lit blue master inserts....

Yeah, the drawbridge was down, and I think I might have hit the gate once or twice... I really threw away that second Castle Multiball. All I had to do is be patient, and I would have taken the castle down. Oh well... Getting closer?

My score was 108 million, which is pretty much exactly what my grand champion score is previously.

What's your gc score?

#1982 2 years ago

Got my MMR Limited Edition a few weeks ago, brand new. My first pinball machine! Just put down deposit for Star Wars LE also.

#1983 2 years ago

I got one in my goody bag!

Quoted from Oldgoat:

This was actually my initial guess, but all looked fine. Now that having been said, after disassembly and reassembly I may have unwittingly adjusted back to the necessary gap. I was not aware there was a tool to set the gap. What's it called and who carries it?
Thanks

#1984 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Yeah, the drawbridge was down, and I think I might have hit the gate once or twice... I really threw away that second Castle Multiball. All I had to do is be patient, and I would have taken the castle down. Oh well... Getting closer?
My score was 108 million, which is pretty much exactly what my grand champion score is previously.
What's your gc score?

52 million and change, just enough to get the gc. 2 extra balls during that game. I have the factory settings for one ball save, but I don't remember if I needed a ball save that game.

#1985 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Got my MMR Limited Edition a few weeks ago, brand new. My first pinball machine! Just put down deposit for Star Wars LE also.

Same lineup I will have. MMR Standard though. Where'd you find an MMR LE NIB at this late stage?

#1986 2 years ago

Just had an epic game. First two balls sucked. Made it to bftk but didn't defeat the last castle because I was out of troll bombs. Wasted them because after the first two balls, I figured why not.
I then FINALLY got barnyard multiball! Never thought I'd reach that.
Completed three royal madnesses and was two castle shots away from a 2nd bftk!
I need a drink. Lol.

20170613_210815 (resized).jpg

#1987 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just had an epic game. First two balls sucked. Made it to bftk but didn't defeat the last castle because I was out of troll bombs. Wasted them because after the first two balls, I figured why not.
I need a drink. Lol.

Bravo!! Well done!!

#1988 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

52 million and change, just enough to get the gc. 2 extra balls during that game. I have the factory settings for one ball save, but I don't remember if I needed a ball save that game.

Keep it up, and you'll get deeper into the game. It gets pretty intense as you master all the modes, and then attempt to defeat all castles.

When you get a multiball, go for the castles!

#1989 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I need a drink. Lol.

Do you have to defeat the trolls? I thought you could shoot between them at the castle?

#1990 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Do you have to defeat the trolls? I thought you could shoot between them at the castle?

No, in fact you CAN'T defeat them without troll bombs. You can shoot between them. They tend to help more than hurt.

#1991 2 years ago

Absolutely loving this game so far. Tweaked my game a bit to make it more appealing to my tastes.

Replaced warm, faceted GI LEDs with cool frosted from Comet.

Removed the plastic from the top of the dragon. It really looks like an eyesore and my game isn't going on location, so I can free a ball in the event one gets stuck.

Added backbox lighting, very subtle (highlights the lightning). I don't like seeing a reflection of LED strips, so I used one 8" clear, purple Matrix strip @ $5.95. It's adhered facing backwards, to the pass through between the cabinet and the head (where the wire bundles pass through) and clipped to a GI socket. Sorry about the reflection.
IMG_3788 (resized).JPG

IMG_3790 (resized).JPG

#1992 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, in fact you CAN'T defeat them without troll bombs. You can shoot between them. They tend to help more than hurt.

I like to knock the first (left) troll down and leave the right one up. The right troll prevents a lot of drains.

#1993 2 years ago

I'm back with my flipper sticking up problem. I took it apart and checked and cleaned and made sure all the adjustments were correct including using the supplied tool for gap to the bushing and couldn't see any problems with wear of the original parts that IMO could have been causing it to stick sometimes. put it back together, checked the EOS leaf switch gap, cleaned the button optos and had a game. Still sticks sometimes.

So I started installing parts from the rebuild kit I ordered, replaced the sleeve and end stop and shaft, still sticking, so moved on and replaced the bushing (what a pain had to remove the whole assembly from the playfield) and rechecked the gap etc etc. Seemed ok, but then stuck again. I have been going over the advice in this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-sticking-up-stern-star-trek and I saw someone posted that movement of the coil in the mounting (loose fit) could be a problem so I checked mine and the left did move slightly more up and down between the end stop and the top bracket. So I undid the top bracket and moved it about 1mm down and retightened, the coil now felt snug with very little movement between the bracket and end stop.

Turned it on and first flip the flipper stuck up so I loosened it off again, but now the flipper goes straight up full power and stays there as soon as the coils get power. When I open the door it goes back down, it got warm but not too hot to touch, seems like something electrical is going on now

From bad to worse.

#1994 2 years ago

My TOM had an issue with a sticky flipper. I rebuilt everything and still had the issue. I finally switched the opto boards around in the cabinet and that fixed it.

#1995 2 years ago

Thanks I will try unplugging my flipper opto board tomorrow and see if the flipper stays down.

#1996 2 years ago

Question for everyone... (MMR and MM alike..)

How often would you say you are able to get ALL of the Madness Multiballs going at once? (Catapult, Peasant, Damsel, Joust, and Troll, either started during the others, or at the beginning..)

I'm curious how often it's an occurrence.

#1997 2 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Thanks I will try unplugging my flipper opto board tomorrow and see if the flipper stays down.

I just swapped my right one with the left one.

#1998 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Question for everyone... (MMR and MM alike..)
How often would you say you are able to get ALL of the Madness Multiballs going at once? (Catapult, Peasant, Damsel, Joust, and Troll, either started during the others, or at the beginning..)
I'm curious how often it's an occurrence.

Very rarely on mine... come by and play bud. I think ss and mm are new since u have been by?

#1999 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Very rarely on mine... come by and play bud. I think ss and mm are new since u have been by?

SS I've seen, but when I was there last you didn't have it up and running - needed something. (Can't remember what! ) MM is new though!

May pop by sometime this summer.

I remember getting it a couple times back when MM was new, and loved the callouts.

#2000 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

SS I've seen, but when I was there last you didn't have it up and running - needed something. (Can't remember what! ) MM is new though!
May pop by sometime this summer.
I remember getting it a couple times back when MM was new, and loved the callouts.

Sounds good bud ...your welcome any time. I also will have dile soon

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
There are 4711 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 95.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside