Quoted from sataneatscheese:
My issue is not resolved. I would strongly encourage you to open a ticket with CGC. https://chicagogamingcompany.freshdesk.com/support/login
I have an earlier model LE from the original run. Number 260. My machine had the 1.0 code on it and I updated directly to 3.0 but couldn't complete the install. It would get to 8x%, say it failed installation, and then upon reboot said it was updated to 3.0 code. Everything works, but I am unsure if I can upgrade it or not. I have done every bit of troubleshooting I can. Factory reset on machine. Battery out power recycle. Downgrading to the 2.2 code that came with my color chip and then re upgrading to 3.0. Trying the memory card write process on multiple memory cards on multiple computers with different disk imager and SD cards with no difference in outcome.
CGC has been responsive, but their latest step is to mail them the controller board and SD card to use. I have not done so as my machine currently works but was debating sending it to them.
However, if I am not the only person with this issue, it is likely a more systemic problem, at least with some older versions of the machine. If multiple people are having the same issue (we are) that would indicate it is now a "problem" and not an "incident". CGC can't approach the problem as a larger issue unless they know multiple folks are having the same problem so I would point you back to opening a ticket. The more people that open the same type of ticket the more likely it is to be resolved in a timely manner.
Here is what CGC replied to my ticket updates, hopefully these may be your issue and it may fix itself:
1. Is the micro-SD card you're using 8 GB (at least) and class 10 (has 10 inside a C symbol)? The link on our Website is to Amazon.com, and what they put there might not be what you need.
2. Older versions of the software have problems. Are you getting your software from the link below? https://www.chicago-gaming.com/coinop/medieval-madness/update/latest
3. Please go to our Website and download the software again. I believe it's been updated since you last downloaded it. Be careful to download it to a location where it can't be confused with your previous downloads, as the file name will be the same.
4. I take it your game has been made unplayable by the attempted software update. If you like, you can send your controller board and SD card to us, and we will do whatever it takes to get it working. You would only pay for shipping, unless we have to replace the Beaglebone. Please let me know if you'd like to do this, and I will have an RMA number sent to you.
I would like to emphasize that CGC is helping with this and has been reponsive to my tickets, but it is still not resolved. I hold no ill will towards CGC, am simply trying to pass along what I know and have been told, and have no idea if the upgrades will work with the installation in this state.
Once again as is my machine works 100% and the game as a whole is awesome.
Bummer. I'm heading out of town for a week and a half but I'll open a ticket when I return. For reference, my machine (#126) was on 2.xx code when I initially tried the 3.0.0 update, I've been running color for several years and I don't have any of the 'new' upgrades installed. I don't know how far the first update got because I left the room and returned to the error on the screen. Subsequent updates have failed in the mid-90%.