Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by JPloof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey everyone. Decision time. I really enjoy Medieval Madness (played it to death on pinball arcade) and am looking for my first NIB purchase. The dilemma in front of me is do I hold out and wait for Medieval Madness at hopefully year end or early next year or do take the plunge on an Xmen Pro. Cost of the Xmen is almost half of Medieval Madness and I keep hearing better and better things with the recent code updates, but again, its Xmen vs. a technically superior version of the number one rated pin on pinside! My collection has to be a small one for a few years (only have space for two pins) until we move into a bigger house with a proper games room and I'm hoping the second pin turns out to be a Hobbit. Right now I have a Genie I'm giving a makeover to, but once complete I don't think that pin is going to last very long in the collection.

Looking forward to your thoughts and why.

#2 9 years ago

XMEN pro. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. Personally I would bore of MM in the long run. YMMV

#3 9 years ago

I would go with XM pro for the value. But I would buy it from a trusted seller HUO.
With the extra cash pick up another fun title MET, TS, JM, Congo, HS2, WW etc..

MMR like MM I am sure would have staying power. But choosing between 1 great pin and 2 great pins I would go with 2.

Either way I think you will be happy

#4 9 years ago

Have you played X-Men? If you can find one to play before you buy, that might help you make your decision.

For the record, I prefer X-Men to MM.

--Luke

#5 9 years ago

Interesting vs matchup. If MMR were available today, I'd say go with that. Perfect first pin. But two things to consider; 1. Timeline. No MMR until possibly the new year? No thanks. 1. Price - MMR shipped is what....approx $8400~? You should be able to find an xmen pro for the $4k range which means you have another $4k to splurge and get met pro or st pro. That's 2 pins now! I say get 2 pros.

But my initial thought still stands; if MMR were available today, go with it as it's ta perfect first pin. You can always sell your two pros in 6 mos or whenever and buy an MMR if need be.

#6 9 years ago

Even better for a little more grab an LE. X-Men. The added features are worth it in IMHO. MM is a great game I hope to own some day. X-Men is a keeper because it is so deep and difficult. I don't think MM will be a long term keeper for me once I own it because I feel it will become boring as well.

#7 9 years ago

You said it yourself. You're only problem with the MM is that you think it might not be a good value. But, if you only have room for 2, screw value, get the game you think will be better.

MM all the way, though I am not an X-Men fan, so take that for what it's worth.

#8 9 years ago

Xmen by a lot. MM is a good game, but in a small collection it gets old fast. I wasn't an xmen fan either when I got my game, I am now.

#9 9 years ago

I have both. I would go with MM. It's a top rated game for a reason due to the humor and art alone. XM is no slouch but just not as fun by comparison.

my MM is an original not a MMr. If someone had sound roms without shittybeast and some more humor in the game, now you may have me thinking .

-c

#10 9 years ago

Hell... you can even buy an XMLE for substantially less than the MMR. I have one for sale right now

I do love the humour in MM and the game flow is great. It will feel good to the novice player and also has enough depth for a more seasoned person. Not getting it until next year though...

XM is fun and has tons of toys (XMLE has a few more of course) and the modes are just great. I love that the game has so many great combos and now, with Deadpool, those combos have a real purpose.
The downside is that the shots are very tight and the magnets/spinning disc really add a lot of variables. It can be frustrating at first for the novice... at least until you get really used to the tight shots and rules.
I love that you can approach two different wizard modes by either playing villains or heros... or both.
In terms of depth, I think XM is up there with the best of them. A very underrated pin IMO

#11 9 years ago

MMR for sure!

#12 9 years ago

Stop by my house and play an Xmen LE. See if you like it. Then buy this one. Seems like a great deal - not that much difference from a pro's pricing.

I personally WAY prefer the LE over the pro. Lighting, IM ramp, Nightcrawlers, spinning disc all make the experience much cooler.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-xm-le-wolveriene-edition#post-1675687

#13 9 years ago

Xmen seems to be leading, but got more responses on MMR than I was originally anticipating. Maybe I'll do my best to work on getting both into my limited space in my basement. Once I finish some touch up (mainly just man hours, not much in parts) on a genie I'm currently working on in my free time, I think it will shortly go up for sale with the intent of bringing in xmen as the space becomes available.

#14 9 years ago

Xmen pro. Like people said above. Buy a HUO and you have money for 2 more games.

#15 9 years ago

Go with the XMENLE and you get the Pop up effect similar to the Trolls in MM. I prefer MM theme over XMENLE but much prefer the game play/rules of XMENLE. The game is crazy hard and I may never beat it as I currently have mine set up.

If the price value were equal, I would not even consider trading XMENLE for a MM. I feel it is the best bang for buck of the current modern pins. XMEN(LE) will not be easier to find in the future MMR will be.

#16 9 years ago

I did order the MMR LE day one, dropped off and almost got back on the list a second time. I think it's a great game, not doubt about it.

I also think SM is a great game (I played SM on the same day as MM at a Pinsiders house), to me there are a lot of 'great games'. You could get both MET pro and SM for $9000 - $9500 (or XM pro + Met pro for $9K) while MMR LE costs $8400 (with shipping).

#17 9 years ago

A NIB XMen Pro will cost $5k-$5500 delivered for the few still around.There is a used one that was at the Allentown show now advertised in the Forum for $3950 + shipping.
For $5200 you could buy an X Men HUO LE .

#18 9 years ago

If it is your first pin then I would get XM Pro and MET Pro HUO. That would likely be just about the same price as MMR. Don't get me wrong I love me some MM but XM Pro and MET Pro to start a collection would give you more to play and both are very fun games.

#19 9 years ago

MM all the way IMO But I am a Williams fan what can I say. I did not like the big figurines in XM looked kind of cheep to me sorry.

MHO Rob

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

XM looked kind of cheep to me sorry.
MHO Rob

Yep, about $2,500 to $3,000 cheaper, but 100% more fun than waiting.

#21 9 years ago

I find MM very good, but...

Quoted from JPloof:

Cost of the Xmen is almost half of Medieval Madness

... not twice as good as X-men!

#22 9 years ago

I've started playng XMEN on route near me and really hoping to love It. So far I'm mixed. I like the newness of the layout, but it seems a little convoluted. Is it the right or left flipper that people say doesn't have enough shots? And how do you unlock the flow?

What's the strategy to 1) have the most fun and 2) score the most points?

I also worry that once I own MMr that I'll get bored of it. It's not that I've played MM all that much either. More on the iPad than in person. I adore the game...but it's a known quantity, which is both a blessing and a curse.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I've started playing XMEN on route near me and really hoping to love It. So far I'm mixed. I like the newness of the layout, but it seems a little convoluted. Is it the right or left flipper that people say doesn't have enough shots? And how do you unlock the flow?

I have never heard people complain about the game not having enough shots from any flipper.

You unlock the flow, by playing it a lot, then playing it some more, then sometimes you will feel like a pinball god, but mostly you will just want to play it more to try and make that happen again.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What's the strategy to 1) have the most fun and 2) score the most points?

Start and complete as many heros as you can, before starting the main multi-ball (Magneto) Figure out how the one on location is set up....Can you stack heros? Can you stack Heros and Villains? can you stack everything? That is fairly important to figuring out the game. I prefer only stacking Heros and Villains (in the menu). It gets to be a bit of a cluster F%&# otherwise...YMMV.

#24 9 years ago

There's a ton of flow in xmen. It's one shot after the other if you hit the shots.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

MM all the way IMO But I am a Williams fan what can I say. I did not like the big figurines in XM looked kind of cheep to me sorry.
MHO Rob

I wonder if people had similar reactions to Rudy or Red & Ted, the Ringmaster, genie and magic lamp in TOTAN etc...?
I think almost all pinball toys look a bit cheap IMO. It's part of making them durable. As pinball figures go, the ones in XM are custom and fairly well modelled. They would benefit from some better paint jobs, but that's about it. The more I play the game the more balanced they seem to me. Better than the actual kids' toys they threw into LOTR or TRON

I'm not a Stern fanboy by any stretch of the imagination... but don't get me started on some of the stuff Williams put out. Have you seen the dracula (aka Ron Jeremy in carbonite) figure in BSD?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I wonder if people had similar reactions to Rudy or Red & Ted, the Ringmaster, genie and magic lamp in TOTAN etc...?
I think almost all pinball toys look a bit cheap IMO. It's part of making them durable. As pinball figures go, the ones in XM are custom and fairly well modelled. They would benefit from some better paint jobs, but that's about it. The more I play the game the more balanced they seem to me. Better than the actual kids' toys they threw into LOTR or TRON
I'm not a Stern fanboy by any stretch of the imagination... but don't get me started on some of the stuff Williams put out. Have you seen the dracula (aka Ron Jeremy in carbonite) figure in BSD?

The problem is that the Wolverine figure is breaking on route. That means it will eventually break at home. Not much you can do about a hollow plastic figure being hit by a steel ball.

#27 9 years ago

Choosing between the MMR or the XMEN is really odd to me : they are so different games, and the reason to get MMR is so different than the one to get a XMEN.

You buy an MMR mainly for the chance to get a pinball you could not get on the used market before the remake. Yes the game is fun and nice, but you can find the same entertainment in other games, and even better. So buying a MMR is really a specific acquisition, for nostalgic, and for "collector-fantasy"

I dont know the XMEN one but this is my poor contribution to your choice, which isn't one to me

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

You buy an MMR mainly for the chance to get a pinball you could not get on the used market before the remake. Yes the game is fun and nice, but you can find the same entertainment in other games, and even better. So buying a MMR is really a specific acquisition, for nostalgic, and for "collector-fantasy"

Interesting take. I think many people would say they're buying MMR because it's their favorite (or one of their favorite) games, and would disagree that they can "find the same entertainment in other games, and even better." Now whether it's 2-3x more entertaining than buying several games in the $2,000-$3,000 range is another question!

#29 9 years ago

Don't misunderstand me, MM is a great game, I love it, but when you buy it you are also looking for this nostalgy of a great pinball from the 90s. This is different when you want to buy a modern Stern.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

Don't misunderstand me, MM is a great game, I love it, but when you buy it you are also looking for this nostalgy of a great pinball from the 90s. This is different when you want to buy a modern Stern.

I agree.

#31 9 years ago

I have 6 machines, (don't have a MM) but i do have a x-men pro in my lineup. X-men is the most played by far. played MM plenty back in the day and at every convention, and that is enough. x-men leaves me wanting to play more, which is why it's in my basement

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballsteph:

I have 6 machines, (don't have a MM) but i do have a x-men pro in my lineup. X-men is the most played by far. played MM plenty back in the day and at every convention, and that is enough. x-men leaves me wanting to play more, which is why it's in my basement

I agree and will own an XM pro and MMR LE (pretty soon hopefully). XM pro is currently one of the most if not the most underrated pins out there. I know this is just like my opinion man.

#34 9 years ago

I have MM and X-men LE. Both are great games but X-men is a way better value and the variety of shots and rules are amazing . Get X-men Pro or LE, both are great but the LE is worth the extra $$

#35 9 years ago

I'm not an X-Men fan, but I'd skip the LE and go pro. X-Men was a particularly bad LE. The night crawlers are cool, but that moving ramp is very forgettable, most of the other LE features as well.

Quoted from beefzap:

but the LE is worth the extra $$

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'm not an X-Men fan, but I'd skip the LE and go pro. X-Men was a particularly bad LE. The night crawlers are cool, but that moving ramp is very forgettable, most of the other LE features as well.

You keep saying that.

1 week later
#37 9 years ago

Played a good chunk of xmen over the past week on older code and I quote enjoyed it (and I hear newer code is even better) so one is on its way shortly. I will keep room I the basement for MMR when it's released. Unless I start dreaming of luci as I also finally got to play quite a bit of acdc, what a great pin as well!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 84.99
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-or-xmen-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.