“Keep MMR or Get a Willy Wonka”

• Keep MMR 34 votes
    58%
  • Sell MMR and Get Willy Wonka 25 votes
    42%

(59 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 3 years ago

Greetings everyone, hope everyone is well and staying safe.

Pretty simple one today, as the title says, which one for the long term?

I currently have an MMR standard with as shaker, color upgrade, new Topper, the RGB GI upgrade and the XL Display and Speaker upgrade as well as plastic protectors, some Cliffy’s, some Mantis and the mod couple barrel spotlight mod and it has under 1000 plays, pretty mint still, but was debating about getting a Willy Wonka (SE or LE) but of course there can only be one so I would need to sell MMR to do this.

Of course I have much nostalgia for Willy Wonka, watched it every week which seemed like forever when I was a kid and from all the videos I’ve seen, it looks fun and it seems there are people on both sides for this one. I am no where close to one of these machines to be able to test play it so I have to rely on videos and other’s thoughts and reviews but it was the same thing for me for Metallica, MMR and Taxi, granted I played a few virtually but know one of the first rules is to play it.

I enjoy MMR but Wonka seems like there is A LOT more to it and would be a game that is different every time and even though MMR has a great rule set and is not easy to beat the King, it’s the same in terms of goals albeit still fun every time. My only other machines are Metallica Pro LED and a Funhouse.

I know also there has been issues with PF quality from JJP but think they have or already addressing that in the newer runs.

I would probably go NIB just so I would have the warranty and wouldn’t have to setup shipping or inspecting, etc. as I live in an area where pinball and arcade machines aren’t that popular and\or hardly come up for sale.

Anyway that’s the background and figured I’d get other’s thoughts and feedback.

Thanks for the help and stay safe.

#2 3 years ago

Without getting into a bunch of detail, I’m all for mixing things up. If you have a lot of nostalgia for Willy Wonka I think you will enjoy the pin. Plus, it will be something new which is always exciting.

#3 3 years ago

I just got Wonka and really like it(my kid LOVES it). I traded my Deadpool premium for it. I LOVE deadpool, but Ive had it for two years and have played the living hell out of it. I only have room for 4 pins and wanted something new. So I setup the trade. I say go for it if you have gotten everything you can out of MM.

#4 3 years ago

Im not sure you could find two more different machines...

personally I thought Wonka was tons of fun and MM is the most overrated pin of all time

#5 3 years ago

I thought, Why does it have to be Wonka, why not trade medieval madness for something else like Jurassic Park premium or maybe the next Jersey Jack?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Why does it have to be Wonka

The OP said he had a lot of nostalgia for Wonka. He said he watched the movie every week for a long time.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I thought, Why does it have to be Wonka, why not trade medieval madness for something else like Jurassic Park premium or maybe the next Jersey Jack?

Wonka is an awesome game and the poster has nostalgia for the theme.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I thought,why does if have to be a Stern when he clearly was asking about JJP Wonka?

#9 3 years ago

My neighbor is a huge Pat Lawlor fan. He has a mint restored FH, pristine TZ and a real nice TAF.

When he comes over all he wants to play in order is Wonka 80-85% of the time, then MBr and Met pro.

I play Wonka a lot but it's 3 months old so maybe it's the honeymoon phase. I have the standard edition and am good with that.

Good luck.

#10 3 years ago

MMr by a galaxy

I’d sell either of your other two games before thinking about selling MMr

Wonka has some very mixed feedback so I would not buy it before trying it.

My suggestion is to give yourself some time to think about this. Wonkas will be available for a long time, If you’re still dreaming about wonka in a month then maybe consider it.

#11 3 years ago

MMR for me. Love my MMR. Have played Wonka quite a few times and personally I don’t like it at all. But just my .02

#12 3 years ago

I recently got a membership at Silverball Museum and have been going a few times a week to play and my first few times playing Wonka left me a little confused and cold. Lately however, I can’t stop playing. As I learn more and more about the game I enjoy it a lot more. Getting my first Kid Multiball had me psyched. I find myself saying “just one more game” a lot. MM has always been a favorite of mine, but I hardly play that machine at all anymore. It’s still great, but the JJP games really draw me in, especially Dialed In and Wonka. In fact, I’m about to buy my second pin and I can’t decide between DI or WW.

#13 3 years ago

Played Wonka. Couldn’t stand the hacked scenes. I’m sorry, was all over the map. And the scenes kept playing over and over. I’m not a bad player, grew up with this movie and was excited for the pin, which is pretty. But damned if my final take was ‘no thanks.’

Never had the drive to return to it. Zero replay ability.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Without getting into a bunch of detail, I’m all for mixing things up. If you have a lot of nostalgia for Willy Wonka I think you will enjoy the pin. Plus, it will be something new which is always exciting.

Thanks so much and that’s where I’m leaning towards. Have no clue what to ask for the MMR but figured if I got what I was asking then I feel it was meant to be (I’m a weirdo into signs like that)

Quoted from mbrave77:

I just got Wonka and really like it(my kid LOVES it). I traded my Deadpool premium for it. I LOVE deadpool, but Ive had it for two years and have played the living hell out of it. I only have room for 4 pins and wanted something new. So I setup the trade. I say go for it if you have gotten everything you can out of MM.

Thanks, and that’s how I feel. I upgraded it because I wasn’t planning on getting rid of it but I just feel that while it is an amazing game and I get the hype for it, just feel Wonka would last longer as well as I think the wifey might be a little more into it as she seems more into Metallica than MMR and think her only real favorite thing about MMR is the trolls.

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Im not sure you could find two more different machines...
personally I thought Wonka was tons of fun and MM is the most overrated pin of all time

Yeah, I’ve heard people compare Metallica’s shots similar to MMR, like the castle and Sparky, etc. and I can see that. Thanks for the feedback.

Quoted from zaki:

Thanks but no other pin really interests me at this time. Not really into Jurassic Park and I think the next JJP is GnR and while I do like that band a lot, grew up listening to Appetite, Metallica is my music machine pic.

Quoted from tpoeckh:

Wonka is an awesome game and the poster has nostalgia for the theme.

Thanks and exactly interns of nostalgia.

Quoted from indybru:

My neighbor is a huge Pat Lawlor fan. He has a mint restored FH, pristine TZ and a real nice TAF.
When he comes over all he wants to play in order is Wonka 80-85% of the time, then MBr and Met pro.
I play Wonka a lot but it's 3 months old so maybe it's the honeymoon phase. I have the standard edition and am good with that.
Good luck.

Thanks and that’s good to hear.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

MMr by a galaxy
I’d sell either of your other two games before thinking about selling MMr
Wonka has some very mixed feedback so I would not buy it before trying it.
My suggestion is to give yourself some time to think about this. Wonkas will be available for a long time, If you’re still dreaming about wonka in a month then maybe consider it.

Thanks for the input but Metallica is here to stay as that was the first concert I ever went to when I was 17 back in 1994 so again nostalgia there too. Funhouse is my grail and first machine I got and it’s a Sample machine as well as I’m currently restoring it (my first). Got the cabinet done and just waiting on my PF to get the Kruzman treatment so that would be the last machine I ever sell and only if I HAD to.

I’m sure it would take me a while to sell MMR based on condition and then upgrades but I also want a NIB Wonka and would probably order directly from JJP.

Quoted from Joeymonkey:

I recently got a membership at Silverball Museum and have been going a few times a week to play and my first few times playing Wonka left me a little confused and cold. Lately however, I can’t stop playing. As I learn more and more about the game I enjoy it a lot more. Getting my first Kid Multiball had me psyched. I find myself saying “just one more game” a lot. MM has always been a favorite of mine, but I hardly play that machine at all anymore. It’s still great, but the JJP games really draw me in, especially Dialed In and Wonka. In fact, I’m about to buy my second pin and I can’t decide between DI or WW.

Thanks and good to hear, let me know what you end up getting. I would consider DI but just not into that theme and since I can only have about 3 now, gotta be selective.

Quoted from underlord:

Played Wonka. Couldn’t stand the hacked scenes. I’m sorry, was all over the map. And the scenes kept playing over and over. I’m not a bad player, grew up with this movie and was excited for the pin, which is pretty. But damned if my final take was ‘no thanks.’
Never had the drive to return to it. Zero replay ability.

Thanks and I get that, I watched and also read some about how and why they did it that way and I’m ok with that as if they played those scenes I think it would be distracting vs. the short call outs that indicate what shot or mode to go for.

Thanks again everyone for all the amazing input, feedback and experiences, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for so keep them coming.

I know MMR is a very great and unique game and theme and Willy Wonka is kinda kid themed with candy, etc. but I also had my first child this year, better late than never I guess LOL, and thinking when she gets older, she might like the game or at least all the candy theme, etc. but who knows, that’s not the only reason. Also the wife is not really into pinball much and thinking she might like it a little better than MMR.

If anyone has a rough ballpark on what my MMR might be worth, just let me know and if you’re not comfortable posting it here, just Message me as I know the classics have everything mine does except the Topper, Shaker and the protectors and that the Royal has everything but the protectors. So no clue what to ask.

Thanks again and stay safe everyone.

#15 3 years ago

At the end of the day, don’t over think it. Go with your gut and get what you want. You can always sell what you get and move on to another. Pinball isn’t permanent.

#16 3 years ago

Oh forgot to ask, which version? Leaning towards the LE but not sure as I really do like the gobstopper shooter rod, but again might not sell my MMR.

I know, first world problems.

Thanks again

#17 3 years ago

If you can afford it, I’d go with the LE although I know a lot of people are happy with the standard.

#18 3 years ago

In terms of depth of game, Medieval Madness is lower compared to Wonka. I would go for Wonka just to have a deeper game.
I will say in terms of difficulty Wonka is much more difficult than Medieval Madness, so prepare to dial down the difficulty settings on Wonka.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

JP is over rated to hell and back.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

JP is over rated to hell and back.

Jp can pull you in , tough game. I would go mm over Wonka, but that's me. I'm not into Wonka, I think mm is fun. Sort of timeless like monster bash. It's not a deep game, but when I want to zone out and play I look to afm and mb

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Jp can pull you in , tough game. I would go mm over Wonka, but that's me. I'm not into Wonka, I think mm is fun. Sort of timeless like monster bash. It's not a deep game, but when I want to zone out and play I look to afm and mb

I'm kinda getting sick of hearing people bash older pins for not being deep. Sometimes a non deep pin is what I want to play. Look at Iron Man. A 4 minute game in that will get you the entire game. MM isnt deep, and that's why it is good.

#22 3 years ago

My wife and I have played Wonka several times. We’ve played MM many times over the years also. Plan on Wonka being our next pin... unless Monday changes our mind

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

At the end of the day, don’t over think it. Go with your gut and get what you want. You can always sell what you get and move on to another. Pinball isn’t permanent.

Thanks for the input and that’s kinda why I figured if it sells, then that will seal the deal and if it doesn’t, I’m totally fine with it.

Quoted from Krupps4:

If you can afford it, I’d go with the LE although I know a lot of people are happy with the standard.

Thanks and that’s what I was thinking. Don’t get me wrong the CE looks really nice but I kinda like the separate Topper JJP and others are selling and autographs aren’t that important to me and the only differences are cosmetic at that stage since the Wonkavator comes with the LE.

Quoted from daveyvandy:

In terms of depth of game, Medieval Madness is lower compared to Wonka. I would go for Wonka just to have a deeper game.
I will say in terms of difficulty Wonka is much more difficult than Medieval Madness, so prepare to dial down the difficulty settings on Wonka.

Thanks, yeah, I hear it can be brutal and sometimes Metallica is like that for sure, drain monster and faster than heck.

Quoted from zaki:

Thanks, that’s what it seems like, especially with Dialed In. I just like all the options, customizations, etc. that are available on JJP machines. I am the same way, when I want to keep it simple, I usually turn to Funhouse and sometimes MMR.

Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm kinda getting sick of hearing people bash older pins for not being deep. Sometimes a non deep pin is what I want to play. Look at Iron Man. A 4 minute game in that will get you the entire game. MM isnt deep, and that's why it is good.

I was in no way trying to bash MMR, it’s an AMAZING game otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten it, I am just limited (not by my choice) to just a few machines and would like as wide of a variety I can have and my Funhouse is pretty simple enough, then MMR is a close 2nd to Funhouse and then it would be Metallica as there is so much in that game in terms of stacking and modes, etc. If I got Wonka, that would definitely be more complex and have a wide variety than Metallica. I get what you are saying as there are times where I don’t want to play Metallica or at least try to get to the End of the Line, so then I just crank it up and try not to drain and see what happens.

Quoted from bigbadmiker:

My wife and I have played Wonka several times. We’ve played MM many times over the years also. Plan on Wonka being our next pin... unless Monday changes our mind

Thanks for the input and it will be interesting to see the rumored Guns and Roses.

Everyone THANKS SO MUCH for all the input, opinions and feedback, all are welcome.

Again, have no clue what to ask for my MMR, so feel free to price check me here or send me a message.

Stay safe and hope everyone has a great weekend.

1 week later
#24 3 years ago

I hope I don’t offend but I use Wonka as a rating system to see how good a player is if you hate it you might be good but not really good.Wonka is tough points system is deep and there’s a lot there.It gets easier but wonkas a great pinball to see how good someone is at everything the ramps can flow but there is tight shots and the captive ball and those freaking magnets are underrated because I think on different modes (I could be wrong) they have different and stronger patterns I would like to know because on slugworth I have had that ball thrown

#25 3 years ago

Willy Wonka over Medieval Madness?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

Willy Wonka over Medieval Madness?

100%.

MM has the cool castle toy, but code got stale very quickly for me. And once I beat it, I lost interest in it completely.

#27 3 years ago

Thanks again everyone for all the input and votes.

Everything is done and I just got my Wonka LE delivered today and can’t wait exploring this game.

MMR was really fun but in the first weekend I had it, I made it to Battle for the Kingdom on regular factory difficulty. Even though I didn’t beat it then, I felt that I had done everything and still with Metallica, I have yet to make it to End of the Line, granted I don’t play it constantly but every week.

Stay safe everyone.

#28 3 years ago

I have both! I thought I would be OK without my MMR. I really missed it. My kids love WONKA. Everyone is happy! Both are great games.

#29 3 years ago

I bought WW SE about 4 months ago now; Have really no love for the theme going in, just wanted to switch up my lineup and never had a Pat Lawlor game, so went with it.

This game is dope...I mean really deep, smooth and fun. This game is deep, I'm finally learning all of the nuances. It just shoots so smooth, it's like butter. The game has me liking the theme.

SE is fine way to go for the price, you get a virtual lock for the wonkavator. I kind of wish I had the CE, but that's 5k more!! Yikes!! I just got a shaker and added it to SE, you can always get shooter rod mod if you like; although I really dig the standard shooter rod on JJP.

PS JJP quality is 2nd to none...Blows Stern away, I've owned about 15 Sterns over the years, and its' JJP #1, AP #2, and Stern #3...Go for Wonka, you won't regret it!!

#30 3 years ago

MMR. Keep it.

1 week later
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Thanks again everyone for all the input and votes.
Everything is done and I just got my Wonka LE delivered today and can’t wait exploring this game.
MMR was really fun but in the first weekend I had it, I made it to Battle for the Kingdom on regular factory difficulty. Even though I didn’t beat it then, I felt that I had done everything and still with Metallica, I have yet to make it to End of the Line, granted I don’t play it constantly but every week.
Stay safe everyone.

How are you liking your wonka a week later?

1 week later
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

How are you liking your wonka a week later?

It’s a truly amazing game, so much to it and it’ll definitely take me a LONG time to come even close to getting to Pure Imagination.

I did put the left post in as well as lowered the two right posts in the outlanes as whole I enjoy the challenge and so like to keep the difficulty stick to learn how to play better, it just was brutal to the family and non pinball wizards. It’s not like I’m crushing it as I’ll still have plenty of drains but feel it gives everyone a more fun experience and better chance.

Maybe someday I’ll remove it but this is a home game and didn’t get it to make money.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback, DEFINITELY no regrets on the decision.

Added a few mods as well as the LE topper and it looks and plays great.

Stay safe everyone.

#33 3 years ago

You have chosen wisely!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-or-willy-wonka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.