Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pezpunk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image.jpg
image-919.jpg
image-892.jpg
peter-noone.jpg
image-104.jpg
face palm group.gif
image.jpg
Motivation.jpg
vulture-2.jpg
confused-1.png
TvyamNb-BivtNwcoxtkc5xGBuGkIMh_nj4UJHQKuor8Gdrz80EwwX__fSSgJq9n-QN_-d2oW-tCqjA.jpeg
vultures-1.jpg
images.jpg
image.jpg
Marvin Gaye.jpg

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 4 years ago

I have a mmr paid for considering selling and buying a really nice original?

#2 4 years ago

Really nice original. Everything about the original is tried and true. Plus you could get it sooner than later

#3 4 years ago

Original for me
But the MMR can be had for a lot less than I paid to restore mine.

#4 4 years ago

No way to tell yet.

We don't even know if MMr will support a color DMD on the platform. Will take about a year after MMr is released before we know how sound it will be. My guess is MMr due to age and technology but it is too early to say.

#5 4 years ago

Yeah, this thread is going to go swimmingly.

#6 4 years ago

I don't mind waiting, but this color dmd shananigans with pps ? This will definitely be my last remake.There's a few games I would still like to own that are out of my reach but maybe after there made I can afford an original. Thanks !

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Yeah, this thread is going to go swimmingly.

Swimmingly?

#8 4 years ago

Do prefer gooder or bestest?

Or maybe you didn't actually know swimmingly is a word and was used in proper context. Tough to tell. ::shrug::

#9 4 years ago

i will stick with my original

#10 4 years ago

Just stick with the MMr.

#11 4 years ago

Id buy a reissue, much rather have a new machine than a near 20 year old one which will have insert issues, wear, and just general dirt from being around. A great restored example would be the exception, but since mmr would be less money, Id still go with that.

#12 4 years ago

I have a restored original and I love it, It's a beautiful game!

Color DMD is a MUST on MM IMHO

#13 4 years ago

Now that the MM original has gone down in price due to the remake, I've consider buying an original too. However, after giving it more thought, a MMr would support the future growth of pinball manufactures.

It's really in all our best interests for the future of pinball, to keep supporting Stern, JJP and PPS and other boutique manufacturers. However, it's paramount that we are able to voice our opinions to them, and that they are willing to listen.

#14 4 years ago

Original. Might have to buy a color-DMD just to show off to the MMR-folks though

#15 4 years ago

OMG....have we not had enough threads is on this subject? Just use the search feature instead of trolling to start another shit storm.

#16 4 years ago

Well , was pissed learning that color was most likely a extra cost but as I read more it sounds like it's not certain ? That's a deal breaker.I know whatever I do it will come back to me.

#17 4 years ago

Original all the way for me.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

OMG....have we not had enough threads is on this subject? Just use the search feature instead of trolling to start another shit storm.

Relax ! Not trying to start a shit storm but things are different with pps now, Do you have $8000 out there ? If not then your imput is not needed

#19 4 years ago

Original if your can find a nice one!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Now that the MM original has gone down in price due to the remake, I've consider buying an original too. However, after giving it more thought, a MMr would support the future growth of pinball manufactures.
It's really in all our best interests for the future of pinball, to keep supporting Stern, JJP and PPS and other boutique manufacturers. However, it's paramount that we are able to voice our opinions to them, and that they are willing to listen.

Well then, by all means break out your checkbook and mail those pre-order checks tonight!

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Well then, by all means break out your checkbook and mail those pre-order checks tonight!

LMAO

#22 4 years ago

Restored original here ... love it!

#23 4 years ago

If I had the money I would take either one. We have 11 on the MMR's coming in. I have played both. In my opinion they play the same. They are both beautiful machines. The the new board system hopefully will be reliable. My only complaint on the MMR Is the gold is ugly in person. If is was brass plated it would look awesome. But the dull gold just looks cheap in my opinion. I don't think anyone who gets the MMR will be disappointed. The only disappointment is the wait.

#24 4 years ago

Rick updated the PPS forum and it sounds like someone at CGC is currently working on the color code. Still no details on when it will be done or how much it will cost though. I think the color on MMR will get done but my guess is that it will be a while before we see it since it seems like they can't even ballpark the ETA at this point. So if that's what you are basing your decision on, there is a lil' more info for you.

#25 4 years ago

"Ain't nothing like the real thing....baby!"

Marvin Gaye.jpg

#26 4 years ago

Don't think you can go wrong either way, they both play the same. If I could find a 'like new' restored original for 8k or less I can understand buying the original but that's a tall order. MMr is NIB, hard to beat that. I plan on sticking with my MMr order

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Don't think you can go wrong either way, they both play the same. If I could find a 'like new' restored original for 8k or less I can understand buying the original but that's a tall order. MMr is NIB, hard to beat that. I plan on sticking with my MMr order

There's been several of them around, and IMO they were good deals for those that picked them up.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

The best thing about my Original MM is that it actually exists and I can play it whenever I want

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I don't mind waiting, but this color dmd shananigans with pps ? This will definitely be my last remake.

There are no shenanigans. I don't understand why everyone has to go out of their way to make drama. Until PPS says that they won't be doing the colorizing, there should be zero controversy. There has been zero new news to warrant everyone b(#(hing about the lack of colorization.

#30 4 years ago

I have a hard-routed bowling alley original that I'm $4K into (have had it for years). Not sure if I can make it as nice as a brand new MMr for less than another $4K, but I'm going to have a ton of fun trying!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

There are no shenanigans. I don't understand why everyone has to go out of their way to make drama. Until PPS says that they won't be doing the colorizing, there should be zero controversy. There has been zero new news to warrant everyone b(#(hing about the lack of colorization.

call it whatever! We were told no charge to LE buyers .If I understand what I'm reading thats not the deal anymore and we're not for sure or guaranteed color !

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I don't mind waiting, but this color dmd shananigans with pps ?

WHAT color dmd shenanigans?? they said all along it would be coming eventually, nothing has changed except Pinside decided randomly to start freaking out for no reason over it 2 days ago, and people randomly started speculating it wouldn't happen, based on NOTHING.

Quoted from whitey:

call it whatever! We were told no charge to LE buyers .If I understand what I'm reading thats not the deal anymore and we're not for sure or guaranteed color !

where did you read that? last thing i saw from Rick said Chicago Gaming has a guy working on it.

#33 4 years ago

i'd love for you to track down where Rick guaranteed free color DMD for LE buyers, because it never happened. he said "probably" every time he mentioned it as far as i know.

that said, he hasn't even changed that stance, so i don't see what the fuss is.

#34 4 years ago

I have an original that I fully restored. If i knew of MMr at the time I would have waited for the remake and assessed opinions on quality then made a decision. Which is now what I am doing with CC as i was in the market for one but put that on hold once the remakes were announced.

#35 4 years ago

This choice comes down to what game you can find. If you find a really nice original in your price range, buy it. Otherwise, wait for your NIB MMr. The whole 20 year old game argument is meaningless. Get the better game.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Original for me
But the MMR can be had for a lot less than I paid to restore mine.

I gotta agree with Dan. Id take a nice original anyday.

#37 4 years ago

Same here Original all the way ,I am restoring one right now costing more too do it but well wouth it in the long run and way better made by Williams

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

and way better made by Williams

no way to know this yet.

#39 4 years ago

The problem is that PPS from the beginning acted like they were in charge but whenever shit hits the fan they blame CCG. I bought directly from PPS thinking I was getting it "factory direct" but apparently they are just a distributor that is double dipping (license money plus resale money) Saying that the Color Display would most likely be a free upgrade for LE buyers is very different than "we dont know and if and when we do somewhere down the line we will let you know...most likely months or even years after you paid us 8k and are stuck with unfulfilled promises" I was 100% onboard with this nonsense for 14 months, the last 6 weeks has basically taken the fun out of this for me

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I have a mmr paid for considering selling and buying a really nice original?

does the really nice original have coin mechs ?

#41 4 years ago

If you already have an MMR paid for, I would just keep it. Even though prices for the original have come down, I doubt you will be able to get one in comparable physical shape for $8k or less.

#42 4 years ago

I would stick to the MMr

#43 4 years ago

Only time will tell.

#44 4 years ago

I would say get the MMR. Why buy a game that is over 20 years old when you can get a new updated one for the same price?

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

We were told no charge to LE buyers.

You're leaving out a really important word.

Quoted from PPS:

...*likely* no charge to LE owners...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/63#post-1557003

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I would say get the MMR. Why buy a game that is over 20 years old when you can get a new updated one for the same price?

Updated with what? Possibly no color DMD & a new platform with unknown reliability & serviceability... And then there is Rick who apparently will pass the buck to CCG if anything goes wrong. I will take the 20 year old known quantity all day long for now. Who knows maybe I will change my tune down the road with AFMr or MBr if PPS comes thru on promises and the new system proves reliable and easy to service.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Updated with what? Possibly no color DMD & a new platform with unknown reliability & serviceability... And then there is Rick who apparently will pass the buck to CCG if anything goes wrong. I will take the 20 year old known quantity all day long for now. Who knows maybe I will change my tune down the road with AFMr or MBr if PPS comes thru on promises and the new system proves reliable and easy to service.

I haven't been following the MMR threads so this is the first I heard of PPS backing out of the colourization. IF that is true, its a totally bogus move by PPS. They promised LE buyers fully colourized screens. But MMR does have updated LED lighting and new updated boards (more reliable apparently, but we will see). It also has brand new coils and everything else, not old used 20 year old coils and everything else. Given the choices I would choose MMR.

#48 4 years ago

I would take the remakes anytime over a 20+ year old pin that has been patched with newer parts etc. The original pins used to be NIB at one time. So they had all their problems worked out which is great but that's not to say that remakes cannot continue from that point except with all brand new parts. Layout and ruleset will be identical and the electronics of today are far superior to what they were 20 years ago. Go ahead and get a remake of your favorite pin if available and don't look back.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

The problem is that PPS from the beginning acted like they were in charge but whenever shit hits the fan they blame CCG. I bought directly from PPS thinking I was getting it "factory direct" but apparently they are just a distributor

It is unfortunate it has come to this. Rick has had multiple opportunities to clarify the ownership/relationships but has yet to take one. At Expo 13 it was very clear this was a PPS project (the translite was originally going to have the PPS logo on it) and they dictated a very clear set of requirements to "their distributors" to try and avoid some of the problems that others had (heavy hints were directed in JJPs direction). It's very clear that CG developed the platform. The original story was they did it for PPS. Now we are to believe that CG is calling all the shots. I absolutely guarantee that if most in the room at the time thought this was a CG project it wouldn't have sold out anywhere near as quickly (can you say "Vacation America"?).

At the announcement, it was all about PPS. All that stood in the way of MMR was Roger Sharpe's approval on WMS behalf. The coin mech brouhaha was the first time we hear that this is allegedly not a PPS game - It was CG that made the decision a few days after the non-refund deadline, not PPS. It was CG that did not understand what the UL process entailed. It is CG that is using non-traditional project management methodologies despite the fact that Rick was supposedly this hot shot former mid-level corporate manager with all sorts of PM and production experience. So much so that those of us who had similar experience were told not only did we not know what were talking about, but couldn't possibly begin to understand how complicated it was to manage a project like this.

Rick made it clear he was in control - until something went wrong. Then he took his Pinside marbles home, set up his own private sandbox forum, so that MMR customers could get direct, unfiltered information directly from PPS (it's not on the CG website) without all the Pinside noise. Which worked fine for him until the UL delay. Then the "CG didn't understand Stern's requirements to start production" delay (twice) and now the questions and apparent position change on colorization.

#50 4 years ago

OP - Rick NEVER said that colorization would be free, only that it would likely be free as a perk to LE buyers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medinah, IL
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
9,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside