(Topic ID: 196582)

MMR or MM buying advise from real owners.

By hoby1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bkaelin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Based on present value, condition and reliability would you by an NIB MMr or original MM”

• MMr standard 64 votes
    56%
  • MM original 40 votes
    35%
  • Neither..... roll the dice for an under featured Stern 10 votes
    9%

(114 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170827-144214 (resized).png
20170224_234201 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dzoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 6 years ago

Here are some considerations and observations. I won't belabor most of the info already posted.

There will be fans of both versions. Most people will go MMR over MM because it's much newer. Newer means much lower plays and for most people newer also means more reliable. People can and have been discussing the reliability details here (and over and over, as well as in all types of iterations such as bally vs stern, SAM vs Spike, etc), but I'd just point out that newer tech evolves because it generally tends to be as reliable if not more reliable than older tech; and that general idea is what people tend to believe, understand and to go with, and they don't deep dive analyse it (even if the details may bear other considerations).

It's the purists that will seek out MM and Pinside has far more purists than the general buying public. IMO, 8 out of 10 people will prefer MMR over MM if not 9 out of 10. And that will also similarly mean that a used MMR will have a much bigger buying market than MM. You already see it with some here complaining about the high prices of used MMRs; it's a sign that the used MMR market is large and in demand, which is great for MMR owners and a potential consideration.

The new MMRs tend to be the HUO generation while MMs were most often routed. That means there is a big difference in the number of plays. And there are some very high wear areas on MM/MMR; just look at the cliffy/mantis protectors and their pictures of those areas. PF holes tend to get hammered hard on MM and MMR in multiple spots. And the mod market (cliffy and mantis, etc) has developed some great pf protection and armor to alleviate that wear from observing 20 years of use. So a new armored MMR is going to be very well protected against typical significant wear vs an unarmored MMR, and especially compared to most old MM's which already have that wear from 20 years of use. In my experience armored MMR > regular MMR > MM (outside of the megabuck restores), and we tend to observe that on the resale market as well as it's not rocket science (i.e., the newer, lower play and better condition the pin, the higher the resale price).

There are now >2k MMRs out in the wild and very few posts about reliability issues, which I find notable and useful information. And many break downs have generally been parts that are actually shared between MMR and MM.

I have an armored MMR and it's great and I can attest from experience that it looks and plays awesome. The flipper timing differences are not significant to me as an owner. I find that I am able to play MMR without any significant flipper/gameplay timing differences/issues and including when compared directly side by side to my other Bally/Williams and Stern pins. And for many/most I'd expect it to not even be noticeable (though I'm not surprised some of the best players in the world observe a difference, you don't get to be an excellent player without being very good at details). OTOH, I have played a HP FT and the flipper timing and game play differences were/are significant, to the point that I really struggle with playing it on route. So I do know about and understand flipper timing differences.

Take MMR with it being new or low play and add in the integrated shaker and high res color dmd options and it really is a great pin preferred by most people. Many MM owners happily sold and bought MMRs when you read the internet history.

I've tried to talk about observations and not be blindly subjective. Again, both versions (MM and MMR) have their fans. The typical #1 rated pin, and I see why so many love it.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from MNPinner:

If you had to choose between a MMR or the AFMR. I am really into the MMR, but the new AFM is really nice.

From experience I easily discount the crazy posts about AFMR supposedly being better built and better feel than MMR; imo the lengths that some people will go to in order to justify their decisions is bizarre and ridiculous. Both are great pins and imo it just depends on which one you prefer. I'd love to have both, and may before long.

I do love that AFMR LE topper though . And that pin is so rare in my area that it may be easiest/best to get it new.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

IPDB has the longest lasting "Top XX" list I can remember, and TZ has had it on lock at #1 pretty much the whole time. MM is #5, still pretty respectable.

FWIW, statistically speaking, sample size is far more important to meaningful data than the age of the database. And even though the Pinside top 100 is far from accurate, it is still far more accurate than IPDB ; there are top 20 rated PS pins with over 10X more reviews than on IPDB.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.99
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dzoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-or-mm-buying-advise-from-real-owners?tu=dzoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.