• Avengers: Infinity Quest 8 votes
    10%
  • Something else... 23 votes
    28%

(81 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6712 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Veemonroe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hi folks,

I'm here in London, UK, where we have very small houses compared to the States and importing NIB pins is quite expensive.

I've got enough room for four pins in my front room (five if we move the sofa). Current pins are Godzilla Prem, Alien Poker, Fish Tales and we've got a TNA 2.0 (on order).

I'm on a loose waiting list for the new run of MMr, but I tend to prefer playing AFM - just can't get hold of one here in the UK. Also, I'm not sure if I'd prefer a modern Stern instead, such as Stern Star Wars (which I enjoy on location) or A:IQ (also like it on location, but two Elwins in one room is probably too many).

So, I wanted some advice...

History-wise:

Our first pin was Fish Tales, which I've got a lot of affection for (I even made a reproduction topper);
We then got a Lord of the Rings (now sold; I found it boring - don't miss it at all);
Then, I bought a Godzilla Prem (love that) and a Flash Gordon (husband doesn't like it so just been sold);
We've also just bought an Alien Poker (like the quirky theme, quirky art and shooting the drops) that I'm going to do up;
I'm swapping the Flash Gordon in part exchange for a PinBot, but suspect that will go to pay for TNA 2.0.

We can't afford multiple new pins each year and we simply don't have the space for more than five pins. Also, it's obvious that I like having different types of pinball machine. So, for example, I played Flash Gordon every day, but stopped completely when Alien Poker (another classic) arrived.

So.... What would you get? Would you get the MMr even though it doesn't mega-excite me on location, but it is a total No.1/2 B/W-era classic? Or would you get a modern Stern?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

I'm actually facing this situation myself. We currently have DP,GZ, Mando, ACDC, HWN, and STh. Mando is next up to rotate out and we are looking for an easier shooter with easy rules. Friends and family friendly.. Ive had AIQ but in my lineup it was just too much for us. Insanely cool shots on the premium but the rules confused just about everyone but my son and I and it could be unforgiving at times. Yes, MMr is an "easy" game but that's exactly what we want next.

This is a consideration for us, actually. I like harder pins, despite being not very good at pinball - hence, why I like Fish Tales and TNA. However, we do have neighbours' kids around occasionally and, when I'm ill, I also tend to prefer playing something easier. To no one's surprise, the neighbours' kids just play Godzilla!

So, it does feel that a collection with Fish Tales, TNA 2.0, Alien Poker and Godzilla only has Godzilla adding depth/rules complexity, and there's nothing truly easy either! I did get the impression that Mando and DP were regarded as 'easier' pins though, with STh being a deeper version of MM/AFM.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'm going to strongly disagree with you on this one. A VPIN can be great, but for the love of all that is holy test one before you get one. I "like" about 10% of the VPINS I've tried at arcades and convention. Flipper lag varies wildly.
I will say if you don't have access to Medieval Madness and want to get a general feel for it you can buy the computer version for about $10 on Steam or play it for free on your android phone under Williams Pinball Arcade. Not nearly as good as the real thing but worth it to get an idea on such a big purchase.

Yes, I owned a small vPin for about three months and then sold it again, unfortunately. It didn't suit us at all. I just kept playing my physical pins and I only had two at the time.

I'm lucky enough to live in inner London and we have a wealth of pinball cafes, arcades and clubs within cycling distance/a short train journey. So, I've played MM, DP, MB, A:IQ, GZ, AFM, Mando, CCr... you name it, we've played it. It's just incredibly difficult to work out what has staying power day-in-day-out in the house from playing a lineup in an arcade without actually owning the pin.

Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

Have you played a Lebowski? If you like the theme, then you will love the pin. Dutch just released code 1.0 and it is amazing. It’s bit more than premium Sterns, but it may be easier to import from the Netherlands than a Stern from the States. Also, I believe the wait time in Europe is a fraction of what it is here in the states.
You did mention neighborhood kids, so it may not be appropriate, but it gets the most plays at our house.

It's quite fun, Lebowski, especially the rolling carpet. It does remind me of a B/W-era pin. I think the theme is totally lost on me, however, which is slightly unfortunate We do tend to veer towards sci-fi/fantasy-themed pins (and Fish Tales...)

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Do you know NeilMcRae ? I think he runs a pinball collective in the London area. There is an Attack From Mars (Remake - Special) listed in his collection that may be available for you to play. Could also be some great advice regarding importing too. Also an all-around great person.
You should not have to handle the importing yourself. International distributors are available but CGC doesn't list one in the UK on their page (scroll to the bottom): https://www.chicago-gaming.com/distributors/23
NOTE: Pinball Heaven claims to be a distributor for basically all the pinball companies, including CGC. Link below.

It's the exchange rate for the Sterns that's the killer. I paid £9.5k for my GZ Prem from Pinball Heaven and it would now be £11.5k for a Star Wars Prem. I'm paying ~£11k for a TNA 2.0 WITHOUT shipping (that's a direct import from Spooky) and it'll probably be closer to £13k for a CGC MMr landed, the way things are going. Star Wars also isn't terribly popular here in the UK so, if I buy that, I'm potentially going to take a bath on it if I subsequently want to trade it for something else...

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

I’d get a new modern machine but that’s because I never “got” the MM love myself, from the first time I played it around 1999 to this year when I played an MMr in a local Barcade.
I somehow get bored by it quickly. But it’s a matter of taste I guess.
If you don’t really like it based on your own experience, is the expectation that you’ll learn to like it or are you considering it just because it’s got a stellar reputation?

A bit of both... There's a couple of MMs around London. I always play and enjoy them, but never feel I want to come back for multiple plays when there are other pins around. Likewise, I enjoy playing Stranger Things (similar layout) because I like hitting the demigorgon, but it's in the same location as JP2 and I always prefer to play JP2.

I thought, because MM stood the test of time, that it does have staying power. Also, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy Fish Tales as much as I do if I'd only played it on the Williams Pinball app and on location - it has grown on me through 18 months of ownership. So, I assume(d) MMr would do the same (and it must have layers of gameplay/strategy beyond 'bang the gate').

The thing about the modern Sterns I enjoy, is that I always feel cheated when I have to leave a location because there's so much more to explore. A:IQ, especially, has grown on me over several months as I've learned the rules.

With MM, I just don't have this 'Wow, this is so amazing, I can definitely imagine choosing to play this daily if it's sat in a line-up that also includes Godzilla, Alien Poker, TNA and Fish Tales' feeling about it. I'm just not sure what does...

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'll chime back in to add/ask. Is it (mostly) just you playing the pins? Are there kids around playing (Heavy MMr incentive there). Lots of visitors? All would be points in MMrs favor.

We have a six year old and a two year old. The six year old gets bored VERY easily. He played Fish Tales constantly when it arrived. Then, he had a long run playing Godzilla multiple times a day, but then stopped bothering. He then didn't play pinball again until Alien Poker arrived and then played that every weekend and after school... so, mostly, he likes having new pinball machines to play and isn't especially bothered which ones.

Quoted from dts:

Heighway Alien LE is great, if you don't mind a little tinkering. Overall, AFM may be a good fit for your tastes and one will come along, definitely worth owning. I preferred my original over the remake in this case, but both are great.

I really like Heighway Alien! I think there's probably only two in the UK, however, that I'm aware of, and I've not played the Pinball Brothers remake, so hadn't got that in contention.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I vote Stranger Things since you like AFM. Similar feel but more to do. I love MM, but if its not a game you love then I would look elsewhere. I would also recommend an EM as that will be totally different feel and gameplay to anything you have.

I’ve definitely considered an EM! I like the idea of Blast Off.

Stranger Things I’ve played a lot of times. There’s a local arcade with seven new Sterns in there (Rush, LZ, Mando, JP2, GZ, The Beatles, TMNT and ST) and, to be honest, the only pins I play in there are JP2, The Beatles and ST (as I already own GZ). That said, I tend to play JP2 in preference with ST as a second choice. But there’s no point in owning JP2 because I *know* I like it less than GZ and, thus, it would never get played!

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Looking at what you have...a virtual pin may be the way to go. I'm all in for CGC remakes, but that may be a better option for you as Oneangrymo has suggested.

I’ve already owned one. It lasted four months and is now making someone else very happy

Quoted from blizz81:

So far as you’re keen on trades / swap outs and there’s at least a reasonable amount of availability in and around the UK, my biggest criteria would be “is it fun to shoot?”. If that’s a yes, even more shallow games can be fun for a while and then swapped out. I like long games / modes / rule sets as much as the next pinballer but also had Demolition Man longer than I expected, was fun enough to just shoot and chase scores.

Thanks to everyone who’s posted. It’s been really helpful I’m getting the impression I’m probably better having a ‘rotating’ pin - probably a modern Stern, as they seem easy to swap about in the UK community. My six-year-old son will probably be happy with that too Then, I get the benefit of exploring the complex rulesets at home without feeling obliged to hold the slot closed permanently!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Modesto, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Veemonroe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-or-a-modern-stern?tu=Veemonroe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.