MMRLE-speakers-kicker-2 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-speakers-kicker-1 (resized).jpg
image4 (resized).JPG
image2-2 (resized).JPG
image1-2 (resized).JPG
MMRLE-pcb-solenoid-power-1.jpg
MMRLE-color-err-6_(resized).jpg
MMRLE-color-err-5_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "Diffuser".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#272 8 years ago

Issues:
1. remake #2 announcement news
2. MMRSE's (standard edition) news
3. Can't see Ink on Inserts
4 & 5. DMD colorization kit news

Solutions:

Dear Dealer/Distributor
We have been very busy at Chicago Gaming. I want to bring you up to date on several issues
1. We originally were going to introduce Pinball #2 at the Texas Pinball Festival in mid-March. We are not where we wish to be on our engineering and parts ordering process, therefore, it could be a couple of months before we make this announcement.
2. MMR Standard Editions will immediately follow the LE productions. When we will start SE's is really more a function of when the cash stops flowing on the LE's . Therefore, we expect SE's to be flowing while a few dealers continue to chase down monies on their balance allotments of LE's. LE's will always take priority on our shipping priorities. All 500 of our first release of SE's have been committed for.
3. In recent weeks, we ran into a string of MMR owners concerned about the ink on their inserts. Quite frankly this became an overreaction of these online forums. The original game utilized relatively dim incandescent bulbs, MMR utilizes three bright LEDs under each insert. After much experimentation, we have designed a styrene diffuser that does an amazing job distributing the light evenly - entirely removing the hot spots created by the LED lamps. The diffuser considerably increases the legibility of the inserts. We will soon be making this available to all concerned. Additionally, a software update will allow owners to adjust the brightness of these controlled lamps. We have already received a small quantity of these styrene diffusers, and we are installing them on already manufactured machines to assure ease of installation and proper fittings. After we are satisfied with the process, we will then order a quantity of them and make them available through our dealers. I plan on sending a small quantity of these available to you at N/C so that you can distribute them to your customers who have expressed concern.
4. Our DMD kit is complete and being prepared for shipment. However, we will not be ready to ship these until we have completed our software update. Originally, we were planning on shipping this in February, but the line keeps getting moved with the requirements of the software update. We hope to have the software update completed within the next three weeks. These updates will be available for all to download. More details on this will be shared with you as soon as it is posted. We will rely upon our dealers to share this information with all MMR customers.
5. It's not yet clear to us as to how we are going to distribute the DMD kit for LE buyers. We are working with our partners at Planetary Pinball to assure that we are able to offer this item at the most attractive price while assuring expedience of delivery. More to come on this as well.
We appreciate your support and patience as we move in to SE?s and Pinball #2. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Best regards
Doug Skor
Vice President of Business Development
Chicago Gaming Company
4616 W. 19th St.
Cicero, IL 60804
Office: 847.387.3130
Mobile: 773.617.1089
[email protected]

3 weeks later
#290 8 years ago

Has anyone received / installed the diffuser from Chicago gaming?

#291 8 years ago

Diffuser?

#298 8 years ago

So I just got home from work and checked the mail. Looks like the diffuser kit for my MMR just showed up. The diffuser is a large sheet of styrene plastic and a few smaller pieces(for the smaller led boards) and it looks like you install it in between the PF and the main board(and smaller led boards) using existing screws and holes. I have my daughter tonight so I won't be able to install it until tomorrow after work (or maybe tonight after she goes to sleep) but here are a few pics in the meantime.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#307 8 years ago

OK so I installed the diffuser tonight it wasn't as complex to install as the directions sound. Basically what you have to do is remove the 5 small light boards from the playfield you can keep them plugged in and let them hang then unplug all of the connectors from the top blue solenoid driver board (I used my daughters washable markers to color code each plug ) then unplug 23 plugs along the right side of the big green board (GI and Switches) from JS28 clockwise all the way to J8. All of those plugs were color coded from the factory or at least on mine it was. Then unplug the 2 troll switches (SW74 and SW75) also unplug the Ethernet cable and the thick green cable from the board. Next unscrew the screws holding the green board to the Playfield but keep them in the standoffs. Also remove the 2 steel wire bundle hangers that in the way and let them hang. Here comes the part that took a bit of patience. You need to slowly work the board up each side between the sling shot coils it's a bit tight and tedious because of all the connectors that snag so just go slow. Once that's done maneuver the diffuser sheet between the board and th PF. Once you get it lined up you hand tighten a few screws in the green board's standoffs to hold the diffuser sheet now gently work the board back between the sling coils and line the mounting screws back up with their holes. Make sure you don't trap any plugs between the board and the PF. Tighten down the board and plug everything back in. Then reinstall the small light boards with their matching diffuser piece. Overall it took me about a hour and a half (including a cigarette and cold beer break lol) it is a huge difference on the inserts. The best way I can describe it is that it looks exactly like an incandescent bulb and gets rid of that bright spot in the middle. It doesn't make the ink look solid jet black or anything but I can read them with no issue during game play even the king inserts are readable. Here are some pics of the process

#318 8 years ago

Heres my thoughts on diffuser kit.Theres am improvement on all but three of the inserts.Psycho,Bourbon and Breath(dragon) are still hard to read. I preferred the nice brightness b4, its now more akin to a matte finish instead of glossy.Dissapointed how its killed the nice brightness of battle for kingdom insert and dulled that row that was a never a problem.So at end of day id say just under satisfactory.Still got me miffed as to why earlier runs had good inserts with the nice brightness and very readable text.QC or sum1 needs to have their arse kicked for making so many playfields this way when sum are perfect. To make a diffuser kit admits there was an issue and this issue should never have passed QC again,

#319 8 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

Heres my thoughts on diffuser kit.Theres am improvement on all but three of the inserts.Psycho,Bourbon and Breath(dragon) are still hard to read. I preferred the nice brightness b4, its now more akin to a matte finish instead of glossy.Dissapointed how its killed the nice brightness of battle for kingdom insert and dulled that row that was a never a problem.So at end of day id say just under satisfactory.Still got me miffed as to why earlier runs had good inserts with the nice brightness and very readable text.QC or sum1 needs to have their arse kicked for making so many playfields this way when sum are perfect. To make a diffuser kit admits there was an issue and this issue should never have passed QC again,

The first question everyone will ask on the secondary market will be regarding the inserts. How is the print quality of the inserts? Does your machine have the diffuser?

#321 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

There is an easy answer to that question, "this is the price, yes the price is firm. If you don't like it don't buy it. Maybe there's another one out there that fits your criteria, good luck in your search."

The answer to that question is moot.

The fact is the machines with the diffuser and poor print quality are worth less, but how much less?

#322 8 years ago

Which is more valuable one with sling-chop damage, a shiny undamaged PF with thin ink and a diffuser or a perfect standard MMR with no shaker, plaque, trim, or ply bottom/finished cab. At the end of the day value is what someone is willing to pay for it just because one person thinks it should be cheaper and won't pay asking price doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that will. Here's another example there are 2 MMRLE's for sale both at the same firm price. one is local and has the diffuser and "thin ink" the other is located farther away and will require shipping but the seller says it has dark text. which do you choose is it worth risking shipping and an extra $400 to have dark text or is it better to get one with text that is a slight bit thinner but still legible for $400 less with no shipping risk?

#326 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The fact is the machines with the diffuser and poor print quality are worth less, but how much less?

Folks here seem to care a lot about what the high end restorers think about such issues. If someone showed up with one of these diffuser games and wanted it restored down the road I can't image they would take all that off and polish it and put it back on. I'm guessing they would insist on a playfield to swap in or they wouldn't touch it. And then you have all the different degrees of issues associated with this (games that should have the kit and never got it, etc). For folks to have to accept this there should have been some compensation, that they are paying the same (very high) full price is pretty hard to believe, even for this industry.

#345 8 years ago

I didn't get an MMr, but I may have to get one of those diffuser kits to hang on my wall.

2 weeks later
#371 7 years ago

Serious question here. I've read about paint touchup kits, slingshot kits, and diffuser kits that probably cost pennies to make, but with all these issues listed here is that the extent of CGCs backing their product? Or have they sent anybody any replacement parts of substance?

#377 7 years ago

I see that diffuser kits are being SOLD for $30. Are you f'ing kidding me??? They send out some inferior playfields, come up with a half-assed fix for it, then want you to pay for it??

If CGC is trying to dissuade me from ever buying another game from them, they're certainly succeeding.

#379 7 years ago

Guess that's what they'll say, but if you're one of the ones that got good ink, why would you need the diffuser?

#387 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Update - Katie says they're being told to send everybody to PPS. Quote: "they asked me to refer everyone to Rick at Planetary"
I replied to the ticket that said I should buy them mentioning that I thought affected customers were getting the 'fix' for free and Doug replied with a request for glass off/game off pictures to determine if I'd qualify or not. Because transparent black is SO obvious when there is no light behind it, right? How terrible must some peoples playfields have been that they look crappy with the lights OFF? Yeesh.

If I were CGC I'd hand out the diffuser kit to anyone with a registered game that asks. Why ask for "proof" at that point??

Edit: By the way, the diffuser does nothing to fix transparency. It does get rid of the hotspots and makes it legible though.

#394 7 years ago

I am going to pass on any $8000 remakes but may pony up the $30 so I can get a diffuser sheet as a wall hanger.

#395 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Rick stated on the PPS forum that if you feel that your game has an issue then you work with CGC (submit a ticket, call them, email them) and if they agree then they will work something out with you under warranty.

Are there now degrees of sh*ttiness with respect to the print quality of the inserts?

"Yes, the print quality of your inserts is not perfect, but we've seen worse. Therefore, you do not qualify for the free diffuser."

#398 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Are there now degrees of sh*ttiness with respect to the print quality of the inserts?
"Yes, the print quality of your inserts is not perfect, but we've seen worse. Therefore, you do not qualify for the free diffuser."

Not too sure what their criteria is for deciding if one is warranted or not. In my opinion every dissatisfied customer that wants one for their MMR should get one no questions asked but then again I'm not them. Did you file a ticket for a diffuser for your MMR? What did they tell you? Are they sending you a diffuser? How is the ink on your MMR? Can you post your pics here for comparison?

#400 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It is kind of interesting how they have spun the diffuser to now be viewed as an upgrade to existing machines. They are actually generating demand for something that was created as a band-aid to quiet people that received a defective product. I swear, Rick and company could be the greatest businessmen I have ever witnessed.

#406 7 years ago

One of the problems with buying NIB is not being able to examine your machine before purchase.

For example, I've seen glassy smooth clear coat and rippled clear coat on lots of machines so I expect this is typical production variation. Sure, everyone wants the glassy smooth but should the manufacturer be expected to replace all playfields that have some ripple? How much ripple is too much?

In the case of MMR, I don't think CGC should have to replace all the playfields that have thinner black lettering (again, subjective), but offering the diffuser for free to all owners who request it seems like a no brainer, PR wise.

Edit: It also sounds like a pain to install, so why would someone want to go through that unless they felt it was needed?

#408 7 years ago

Here's the part I don't get. It seems on the unboxing thread that some MMrs might be shipping with the diffuser already installed. Did those owners have to pay another $30? If not then why should those that didn't come with it?

#413 7 years ago

hardest part bout installing diffuser was getting bottom part around trolls mechs

#415 7 years ago

I installed the diffuser today. I actually wasn't sure I needed it, but asked my distributor and they got me one. (No charge)

Not too hard to install.

And what I like the best is you can no longer see the green circuit board behind the king of Payne insert. And a few other Inserts that you could before. But otherwise I don't really think my Inserts needed it. As there is not a huge difference in the lettering. Just a difference in actually seeing the leds behind them not spotting now.
Now it's like they went from superbrights to frosted bulbs.
It just makes the leds not quite so bright through the Inserts.

And as we all know leds don't photograph well. The print on the lit Inserts is actually darker in reality.

IMG_20160429_155638797_(resized).jpgIMG_20160429_155638797_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160429_155643578_(resized).jpgIMG_20160429_155643578_(resized).jpg

3 months later
#525 7 years ago

MMRLE #857 (from JJP, black, build date 5/23/16)

Issues
1 . Stern quality control was on holiday the day they built mine. Numerous stupid oversights, such as nuts not locked down properly, both ramps waaaay off center (see pics), right orbit ball guide too close to side blocked balls from coming down.
2 . Game arrived VERY dusty. Had to wipe the backbox, coin door, side-rails, etc.
3 . Playfield had a lot of scratches for a NIB. Small scratches that will hide with a few coats of wax but still you'd think they held a tournament on this thing before they shipped it.
4 . The King doesn't yell JACKPOT! on multiball jackpot shots. It just plays the music/sound. WTF?
5 . The display chopping issue is quite apparent, especially on the JACKPOT animation.
6 . Audio quality is a joke. I think it's the speakers. No treble. Gotta replace these cheap-o factory speakers.
7 . Switch slot registration is off on both in-lanes, in opposite directions for each side. I know people say this happens a lot, but every WMS game and Stern game I own is dead on, literally exact center. So not sure how they mess that up in 2016.
8 . The inserts - the King's men inserts are still hard to read despite my ink being proper. The problem is two-fold: The ridiculous jeweling they used creates a contrast alongside the text (see pic with lights off) and the LED -is- way too bright. I love LEDs but it's harsh. Dimming it w/software would be helpful (I'm not putting a diffuser on) as the other inserts all seem dimmer than these anyway.
9 . The left troll slams against the left ramp rail. Not sure if this is normal or what....I'll have to check that thread on issues out of the box.
10. Don't use the pre-pitted balls they give you. Really poor quality.

3 weeks later
#572 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I didn't notice any side effects, but I'm not an audiophile either. To me the callouts are at a much better volume than they were.
The real answer is the get CGC to do a proper fix.

Hopefully, they will release a plastic sound diffuser to place over the speakers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "Diffuser".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-nib-repair-kit?tq=Diffuser&tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.