MMRLE-speakers-kicker-2 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-speakers-kicker-1 (resized).jpg
image4 (resized).JPG
image2-2 (resized).JPG
image1-2 (resized).JPG
MMRLE-pcb-solenoid-power-1.jpg
MMRLE-color-err-6_(resized).jpg
MMRLE-color-err-5_(resized).png
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
#301 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I see several grammatical errors. I knew they would rush this.

You have got to be kidding me

#302 8 years ago

I know right?

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe this will lure o-din back to Pinside ...

You had me at "restorations documented" sub-forum.

Making pinball machines must be hard.

#304 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You had me at "restorations documented" sub-forum.
Making pinball machines must be hard.

look who's back

#305 8 years ago

I've got game #603 black trim, which the tag says was built Dec 18,2015. But it didn't ship until 3/18/16.
Issues:
1. The Merlin Eject hole and Bottom Jet coils had the wiring reversed on them. You can swap the wires to fix. But I still don't understand how a game that should have been play tested left the factory like this.
2. The coil stop bracket fell off of the right flipper after 8-9 games. CGC is shipping me the replacement part.

#306 8 years ago

Issues:
1. Sling problem.
2. Shaker would not work.
3. One year after use, my black rubbers seem to be disintegrating everywhere & black junk is everywhere.

Solutions:
1. replaced the sling with fix.
2. Replaced the Power Board to fix non-working shaker.
3. Replaced the original NIB black sling rubbers with new white rubbers to keep game cleaner.

#307 8 years ago

OK so I installed the diffuser tonight it wasn't as complex to install as the directions sound. Basically what you have to do is remove the 5 small light boards from the playfield you can keep them plugged in and let them hang then unplug all of the connectors from the top blue solenoid driver board (I used my daughters washable markers to color code each plug ) then unplug 23 plugs along the right side of the big green board (GI and Switches) from JS28 clockwise all the way to J8. All of those plugs were color coded from the factory or at least on mine it was. Then unplug the 2 troll switches (SW74 and SW75) also unplug the Ethernet cable and the thick green cable from the board. Next unscrew the screws holding the green board to the Playfield but keep them in the standoffs. Also remove the 2 steel wire bundle hangers that in the way and let them hang. Here comes the part that took a bit of patience. You need to slowly work the board up each side between the sling shot coils it's a bit tight and tedious because of all the connectors that snag so just go slow. Once that's done maneuver the diffuser sheet between the board and th PF. Once you get it lined up you hand tighten a few screws in the green board's standoffs to hold the diffuser sheet now gently work the board back between the sling coils and line the mounting screws back up with their holes. Make sure you don't trap any plugs between the board and the PF. Tighten down the board and plug everything back in. Then reinstall the small light boards with their matching diffuser piece. Overall it took me about a hour and a half (including a cigarette and cold beer break lol) it is a huge difference on the inserts. The best way I can describe it is that it looks exactly like an incandescent bulb and gets rid of that bright spot in the middle. It doesn't make the ink look solid jet black or anything but I can read them with no issue during game play even the king inserts are readable. Here are some pics of the process

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#308 8 years ago

Before:

#309 8 years ago

After:

#310 8 years ago

Excellent write up & pix.

#311 8 years ago

Thanks, that does look like an improvement to readibility. Happy with the outcome?

#312 8 years ago

Looks great!

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

3. Replaced the original NIB black sling rubbers with new white rubbers to keep game cleaner.

I would be interested in keeping mine cleaner, how do they affect gameplay? white give a different bounce don't they? can you upload some pics of how it looks with white rubbers?

#314 8 years ago

I'm debating on getting some Titan silicone competition bands for MMR they definitely keep things cleaner than regular rubbers do and they wipe clean also. Just not sure what color to do right now I'm leaning towards clear especially on the slings for A better spread of light on the PF

#315 8 years ago

Lloyd put purple on his original mm at SS billiards, the pics he posted look AWESOME!

#316 8 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

Lloyd put purple on his original mm at SS billiards, the pics he posted look AWESOME!

That's what I got for mine, now all I have to do is get around to installing them.

#317 8 years ago

March 31, 2016

Here is the latest update from a call with Doug Duba at CGC this morning 3/31 - note that this is the 'best' info I have from CGC, but as we always have seen, even the best info will likely change (more things move out than move in).
THE 'CURRENT' PLAN FROM CGC FOR GAMES (note caveat that anything can and usually does change):

- Some parts have been re-done due the mfg quality issues (i.e. rejected by Quality Control), that put some delay into the works.
- Also I believe there are some scheduling due to Stern running some batches of games
- Some golds that will be shipping in the next few days.
- CGC indicates that some blacks (we had some ship) about 1-2 weeks ago, and then more Blacks will be run and coming out in about 2 weeks.
- So there will be games coming out to satisfy most of the outstanding requests from resellers in April
- Then CGC will prepare Europe games for shipment (not sure how many or in how many batches - that is discussion between CGC and MoP) - that may be a couple of weeks.
- Then final batches of LE's as well as Standards will be run.

SOFTWARE UPDATE:
- Software update final rev that was to fix some things came out today.
- CGC will be packaging for distribution soon (1-2 weeks?)

COLOR UPDATE:
- Color software is done.
- We have discussed the mechanics on delivery and the pricing and that will be communicated in the next week (I hope)
- Anticipated availability 2+ weeks"

#318 8 years ago

Heres my thoughts on diffuser kit.Theres am improvement on all but three of the inserts.Psycho,Bourbon and Breath(dragon) are still hard to read. I preferred the nice brightness b4, its now more akin to a matte finish instead of glossy.Dissapointed how its killed the nice brightness of battle for kingdom insert and dulled that row that was a never a problem.So at end of day id say just under satisfactory.Still got me miffed as to why earlier runs had good inserts with the nice brightness and very readable text.QC or sum1 needs to have their arse kicked for making so many playfields this way when sum are perfect. To make a diffuser kit admits there was an issue and this issue should never have passed QC again,

#319 8 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

Heres my thoughts on diffuser kit.Theres am improvement on all but three of the inserts.Psycho,Bourbon and Breath(dragon) are still hard to read. I preferred the nice brightness b4, its now more akin to a matte finish instead of glossy.Dissapointed how its killed the nice brightness of battle for kingdom insert and dulled that row that was a never a problem.So at end of day id say just under satisfactory.Still got me miffed as to why earlier runs had good inserts with the nice brightness and very readable text.QC or sum1 needs to have their arse kicked for making so many playfields this way when sum are perfect. To make a diffuser kit admits there was an issue and this issue should never have passed QC again,

The first question everyone will ask on the secondary market will be regarding the inserts. How is the print quality of the inserts? Does your machine have the diffuser?

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The first question everyone will ask on the secondary market will be regarding the inserts. How is the print quality of the inserts? Does your machine have the diffuser?

There is an easy answer to that question, "this is the price, yes the price is firm. If you don't like it don't buy it. Maybe there's another one out there that fits your criteria, good luck in your search."

#321 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

There is an easy answer to that question, "this is the price, yes the price is firm. If you don't like it don't buy it. Maybe there's another one out there that fits your criteria, good luck in your search."

The answer to that question is moot.

The fact is the machines with the diffuser and poor print quality are worth less, but how much less?

#322 8 years ago

Which is more valuable one with sling-chop damage, a shiny undamaged PF with thin ink and a diffuser or a perfect standard MMR with no shaker, plaque, trim, or ply bottom/finished cab. At the end of the day value is what someone is willing to pay for it just because one person thinks it should be cheaper and won't pay asking price doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that will. Here's another example there are 2 MMRLE's for sale both at the same firm price. one is local and has the diffuser and "thin ink" the other is located farther away and will require shipping but the seller says it has dark text. which do you choose is it worth risking shipping and an extra $400 to have dark text or is it better to get one with text that is a slight bit thinner but still legible for $400 less with no shipping risk?

#323 8 years ago

Which is more valuable one with sling-chop damage, a shiny undamaged PF with thin ink and a diffuser or a perfect standard MMR with no shaker, plaque, trim, or ply bottom/finished cab. At the end of the day value is what someone is willing to pay for it just because one person thinks it should be cheaper and won't pay asking price doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that will. Here's another example there are 2 MMRLE's for sale both at the same firm price. one is local and has the diffuser and "thin ink" the other is located farther away and will require shipping but the seller says it has dark text. which do you choose is it worth risking shipping and an extra $400 to have dark text or is it better to get one with text that is a slight bit thinner but still legible for $400 less with no shipping risk?

Good questions.

It is too bad CGC refuses to properly fix the print quality of the inserts.

#324 8 years ago

Which is more valuable one with sling-chop damage, a shiny undamaged PF with thin ink and a diffuser or a perfect standard MMR with no shaker, plaque, trim, or ply bottom/finished cab.

Of those 4 items, only the shaker has any value. Plaque is a stupid metallic sticker thing that looks worse than the original WMS apron, the gold trim is fugly and who cares about plywood bottoms? Never ever been a problem with standard WPC cab construction unless water damaged or dropped... Stick a shaker in a standard MMR and you're golden (without the mustard gold!)

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Of those 4 items, only the shaker has any value. Plaque is a stupid metallic sticker thing that looks worse than the original WMS apron, the gold trim is fugly and who cares about plywood bottoms? Never ever been a problem with standard WPC cab construction unless water damaged or dropped... Stick a shaker in a standard MMR and you're golden (without the mustard gold!)

The "sticker" isn't a sticker at all. It's painted metal and looks quite nice. You're right though, the gold is ghastly.

#326 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The fact is the machines with the diffuser and poor print quality are worth less, but how much less?

Folks here seem to care a lot about what the high end restorers think about such issues. If someone showed up with one of these diffuser games and wanted it restored down the road I can't image they would take all that off and polish it and put it back on. I'm guessing they would insist on a playfield to swap in or they wouldn't touch it. And then you have all the different degrees of issues associated with this (games that should have the kit and never got it, etc). For folks to have to accept this there should have been some compensation, that they are paying the same (very high) full price is pretty hard to believe, even for this industry.

#327 8 years ago

Why is this thread in the Restoration forum?

#328 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Well looking at the post just before yours, we've now moved on to discussing high end restorations for MMRs years from now!

Quoted from viper001:

Folks here seem to care a lot about what the high end restorers think about such issues. If someone showed up with one of these diffuser games and wanted it restored down the road I can't image they would take all that off and polish it and put it back on. I'm guessing they would insist on a playfield to swap in or they wouldn't touch it. And then you have all the different degrees of issues associated with this (games that should have the kit and never got it, etc). For folks to have to accept this there should have been some compensation, that they are paying the same (very high) full price is pretty hard to believe, even for this industry.

Of course we should all be happy if anyone still gives enough of a s#@t about pinball in twenty years to be doing high end restorations! None of which has much impact on how people that were shipped defective playfields with under-inked inserts should feel about it today.

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Don't think I created it there

#330 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Don't think I created it there

I am sure CGC would rather it appear in the Restoration forum as opposed to the main forum would it would likely receive greater exposure.

#331 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I am sure CGC would rather it appear in the Restoration forum as opposed to the main forum would it would likely receive greater exposure.

So ... The illuminati?

#332 8 years ago

Issue:

MMRLE NIB Speakers suck!

Panel speakers sounded terrible to me, and even to my wife who noticed the muffled voices immediately. Quick investigation revealed that MMR has two cheap midrange panel speakers, hence no high end. Original MMs had one midrange and one tweeter which, while unbalanced side-to-side, at least provided a fuller frequency range overall. Aftermarket kits tend to use coaxial (2-way, midrange + tweeter) panel speakers.
I didn't want to wait on mail order.

checked the schematics. CGC indeed changed the original midrange + tweeter configuration to two cheap midrange. But they left the capacitor of the original design on the right side !

MMRLE-speaker-schematics-1_(resized).jpgMMRLE-speaker-schematics-1_(resized).jpg

Solution:

I grabbed a pair of Pioneer TS-G1345R coaxial speakers on sale for $37.49 at Best Buy. They're 4 ohms, as are nearly all 5.25" car speakers I found, but MMR's speakers are 8 ohms. Due to the parallel wiring, MMR's two 8 ohm speakers provide 4 ohms of impedance. Simply replacing them with 4 ohm speakers would provide only 2 ohms of impedance, potentially stressing the amplifier. So I rewired the new speakers in series to provide 8 ohms of impedance.
New panel speakers sound phenomenal, but I felt the bass needed a boost to balance the bright & crisp high end. Alligator clipped a trusty ol' Polk subwoofer to the cabinet speaker, and now the game sounds basically perfect (aside from the startup bong and a few pesky audio bugs).
Thanks to Vince (TheKorn) for his advice on wiring the new speakers in series. His speaker replacement guide can be found here: http://www.thekorn.net/speakers/index.html

I bought these: https://goo.gl/vkb8qc
They were on sale at Best Buy, but it looks like Walmart may be cheaper now. Nothing special about those particular speakers. Any decent 2 or 3-way 5.25" speaker would be a massive improvement.

Any 5¼" coaxial car speakers of some recognisable brand will be an improvement.
The only thing to look for is the color. They are visible through the speaker grill so make sure you don't buy a model with funky colors (http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/michael/blog/0405/040507-SonySpeakers.jpg)

I didn't make a dongle, just changed the wiring when installing the new speakers:
GRA-RED to L+
new jumper wire from L- to R+
R- to GRA-BLK
GRA-ORN and the 2 spare GRA-BLK wires (originally connected to L- ) remain disconnected.

I should clarify, current is still flowing through these wires back to the board, they're just not connected to the left speaker anymore.

It's about a 20 minute job.
If walmart does not have the Pioneer 1345 speakers, look for the 1344 model. $10 more, but they work perfectly. If you do buy from walmart, be sure to compare the shelf price to their website, which was $9 less and they will honor in the store.

Don't make the mistake of not keeping the 2 gray/black wires connected after removing them from the left speaker. No big deal, just have to solder the 2 wires together and insulate.
The speakers add instant clarity and make you realize a subwoofer is needed. The call outs are also improved and will be that much better when the software update arrives.

MMRLE-speaker-new-1_(resized).jpgMMRLE-speaker-new-1_(resized).jpg
MMRLE-speaker-new-2_(resized).jpgMMRLE-speaker-new-2_(resized).jpg

Now add a sub woofer:
Most everyone buys the Polk audio psw10 via amazon.
Use about 10 ft of speaker wire with a pair of alligator clips.
Put the clips on the positive & negative of the cabinet speaker and feed the wire through the grill on the bottom of the cab to the external sub and then hook them up to the right speaker level outputs.

MMRLE-subwoofer-1_(resized).jpgMMRLE-subwoofer-1_(resized).jpgMMRLE-subwoofer-3_(resized).jpgMMRLE-subwoofer-3_(resized).jpgMMRLE-subwoofer-2_(resized).jpgMMRLE-subwoofer-2_(resized).jpg

#333 8 years ago

Issue:

The loss of time and date happens vary sporadically. I put in a ticket and a month latter received and installed a software update. After a month of operation I lost the time and date again. There is still a problem. I have since put in another ticket and have not heard anything from CGC.

Solution:

I just posted the following on the PPS forum:

CGC (Lloyd excluded) customer service sucks. I have had a ticket open for 18 days without a single response from my so called assigned pinball technician Ron Lukwinski. Lack of communication seems to be the normal way CGC conducts all facets of it's business. All the ticket has ever said is, being processed since xx days xx hours. The last time I put in a ticket for this same problem, it took 30 days and numerous emails to Lloyd for CGC to respond. I understand this is a difficult problem, but absolutely no communication is unacceptable. I'm worried for the future when something big goes wrong with the MMR.

#334 8 years ago

Issue:

No warranty registration card included

Solution:

You have to download it here :
http://www.chicago-gaming.com/Brochures/CGC_Warranty_Card_Pinball.pdf

#335 8 years ago

Just out of curiousity what part of that warranty covers all the playfield defects we've seen so far?

#336 8 years ago

Issue:

Having an issue with my left flipper assembly. The pin that secures the rod(indicated in the picture below as an example) has come loose twice now in so many days, causing it to completely detach from the rest of the assembly. I was able to find the pin in the bottom of the cabinet and reinsert it and thought I had clamped it down hard enough, but apparently not enough for it to happen a second time now.
How can I secure this pin better? I had a heck of a time working on this part without removing the whole thing, so not sure if there's an easier way.

MMRLE-flipper-solenoid-pin-1_(resized).jpgMMRLE-flipper-solenoid-pin-1_(resized).jpg

Solution:

Get a replacement plunger/linkage. It's a roll pin and it's not supposed to have failed like that.

#337 8 years ago

Issue:

Single color DMD contrast is too high overall, making the different brightness color levels look almost all the same (too bright).

Solution:

The contrast issue with the display is fixed by the new firmware revision.

#338 8 years ago

Issue:

Having issues with Merlin hole kick out.
The ball falls back into the Merlin hole due to it not being kicked out all of the way. This happens about 60-70% of the time and at times it will take 3-4 cycles before the ball actually kicks out of the saucer. I have adjusted the kick out setting to maximum hoping that would solve the issue but it did not help. Is there something else to look at/adjust or is it time to open a ticket with Chicago Gaming?

Solution:

tbd

#339 8 years ago

Issue:

Well crap. Hopefully my ticket for replacement plunger assembly gets answered soon as it failed again today. Looks like my MMr is out of commission until I get a new assembly.

Solution:

Buy a new one from somewhere else & install it on your own. No help from PPS or CGC.

#340 8 years ago

Issue:

How's the level bubble on your MMR? I was trying to level the pin using that, but when I had the bubble in the center the pitch was >9 degrees. If I bring the pitch to about 6.5-7 degrees the bubble is all the way to the bottom of the level, is there a way to adjust that or is it waste of time?

Solution:

1. Make sure the level is screwed all the way down on the rail.

2. According to the manual, the tip of the bubble should be between the first and second lines(if counting from the front of the machine). The first line represents 6deg of pitch and every line after another 1/2 degree, so if the bubble is touching the second line, it should be at 6.5deg.

3. Use a different external level.

#341 8 years ago

Issue:

I received my MMr some das ago. I notized that the flipper strength significantly decreases after 20-30minutes, although I set the strength on 4. I have not seen any complaints in this regard. Am I the only one? The weak legt flipper does nötig achieve to shoot the Right ramp up to the top.

Solution:

tbd

#342 8 years ago

Issue:

Can MM recover itself from multiple balls landing it the catapult? I just turned mine off for its own good before it damaged itself and fished the balls out manually
just made me wonder what would of happened had it been out in the wild? Does it have some sort of programmed safety cut out after so many failed attempts to launch the balls ??

Solution:

increase catapult strength

#343 8 years ago

Issue:

Got my MMr just last Thursday. Ive notices that the peasant ramp sensor just right behind the castle doesnt always register the ball. From observation tonight it would seem that fast balls are registered, but slower balls do not register. Is that sensor supposed to register every ball?

Issue:

1. Try bending the metal leaf a bit so the ball is sure to make solid contact and depress the switch as it passes every time. I had a similar issue with the exit switch on my damsel ramp.

2. Also check the screws on all of the roll over switches as I found almost all of them loose and some almost falling apart and resulting in not registering.

#344 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just out of curiousity what part of that warranty covers all the playfield defects we've seen so far?

There's the o-din we'd been missing!

#345 8 years ago

I didn't get an MMr, but I may have to get one of those diffuser kits to hang on my wall.

#346 8 years ago

Issue:

You may get a rattle sound when adding the sub woofer

Solution:

Put 1 or 2 strips of masking tape along the edge of the glass and trim off the excess.
There should be no more rattle & you'll get all that great rich bass sound.

#347 8 years ago

Issue:

My start button was out.
I opened the coin doorv- (with power on) and jiggled the wires on it the light went on - and then whole machine went off.
Now, I get nothing when turning the power on/off now. I can't imagine that did any damage.
I visually looked at all obvious fuses -but don't see anything out of ordinary.
Before I put in a ticket- any suggestions ? Loyd any ideas here ? Literally dead.
It worked perfectly up until just now. It's MMR 157.

Solution:

So under the "make this more complicated than necessary dept"- I checked the fuses and they are all fine. I thought I'll check the electrical cord connection in the back- and DOH- it was loose. I plugged it back in - and it popped on.
Loose cord.

#348 8 years ago

Mod:

Make your own color changing Merlin Mod for MMR/LE.
Use a $9 Merlin figure from eBay, a crystal ball from LOTR (or something smaller), and a disassembled 555 color change led.

Sphere:
Purchase acrylic spheres from US Plastic corp.
They are located in Lima Ohio but also have a website.
Maybe use a 3/4 inch sphere and it worked great.

#349 8 years ago

Mod Part:

Mod = Flipper Bats.

Adhesive:
Originally used the adhesive that came on them but after about 20 games 1 came flying off the flipper.
Go to auto parts shop & buy "3M automotive mounting tape" that was mentioned in one of the threads.
So far it is working great & it is flexible enough to absorb impact (which super glue won't do).

#350 8 years ago

Mod:

Mod = Different Speaker Panel.

I replaced my speaker panel today, took quite awhile, I found when I removed the display that the clear perspex cover was held on by another 12 bastard push nuts making 28 of them in total.
As the plastic mounts are quite weak, it is impossible to remove the push nuts without breaking them.
Attack them after breaking the first one but it was still a slow process.
Both the panel with logo and the speakers are nice upgrades, but to be honest I would suggest that Drewblood's sticker is a much easier and cheaper solution than replacing the entire panel. I would have gone for a sticker instead myself if I had not got the panel for free.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-nib-repair-kit/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.