MMRLE-speakers-kicker-2 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-speakers-kicker-1 (resized).jpg
image4 (resized).JPG
image2-2 (resized).JPG
image1-2 (resized).JPG
MMRLE-pcb-solenoid-power-1.jpg
MMRLE-color-err-6_(resized).jpg
MMRLE-color-err-5_(resized).png

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
#551 7 years ago
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓                                                ▓▓
▓▓           PAGE 12 : MMR/LE Repair Kit          ▓▓
▓▓                                                ▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

====================

Issue:

MMR/SE (Standard) #1058
Troll Carriage broke after 12 plays.

The piece that the troll target switch mounts to, broke off and the troll flopped around.
The original MM pin carriage had 3 spot welds at every contact point.
The new MMR/LE pin carriage only have 1 spot weld. This was the defect area at the 1 spot weld.
Believe these are the same used on all MMR/LE's and Hobbits. And you don't see them break often.

Solution:

Replaced with a NOS one.

#552 7 years ago

Issue: Sound BAD #1 ♬

I am having a static noise issue and have had it out of the box, the distortion seems to get worse on mine as the volume is increased and just sounds terrible generally, was told by CGC Pinball Technician Ron Lukwinski that there would be a controller board with a software update to fix this, opened my support ticket on December 20, 2015 shortly after I received the game and was told on the Dec 29, 2015 that said updated board would be sent to me, have been waiting ever since with no other word.

I am a very patient man, but considering the time I have been waiting and the fact that this was a brand new $8000 machine, my patience is dwindling. Needless to say, I am not a happy individual in regards to this.

Solution:

I had grown tired of waiting and had spare time (probably should have done this sooner, but I wanted to meddle around in my brand new game as little as possible), so I swapped the speakers around to confirm/dis-confirm it being a defective/damaged speaker, the distortion moved with the suspected speaker, therefore I have confirmed my problem to be with the replaced speaker itself and not the software. I have contacted CGC and expect another replacement speaker to be shipped.

#553 7 years ago

Issue: Sound BAD #2 ♬

As of April 26, 2016:
I have this exact issue, it happens after the machine has been left on for an hour or more.

Solution:

tbd

#554 7 years ago

Issue: Sound BAD #3 ♬

Its been on for 3 days straight as a burn in and I've started noticing noise/popping sounds in the audio. Its possible they were there from the beginning but I don't remember them. There are deterministic and repeatable and to be honest, pretty annoying. ...
Any suggestions? Has anyone else seen this?

Solution:

tbd

#555 7 years ago

Issue: Sound BAD #4 ♬
I suspect there are multiple audio issues people talk about on this thread. What I've been hearing sounds like a digital problem.
* The distortion is periodic and does not always occur on loud audio.
* It does not happen when audio is not playing
* On two separate occasions, I heard the audio turn to complete static for 3-5 seconds (not in recording because i could not reproduce)

Solution:

tbd

#556 7 years ago

Issue: Sound BAD #5 ♬

Happened to me the other day. I heard that it's a software bug that creeps up after the machine has been on for an extended period of time. So when it started I turned the game off, waited a few seconds, then back on. Issue disappeared until pin is on for a while again.

Solution:

1. Software Update ?
2. Replace Speakers ?

#557 7 years ago

Issue: Sounds BAD #6 ♬

I played a MMr on location the other day and the audio sounds like a shitty AM radio. Do you guys think this issue will get fixed?
I believe that's referring to static. I'm saying the whole sound package sounds like muffled garbage. Like they used low fidelity samples or something.

Solution:

tbd

#558 7 years ago

Issue: Sound BAD #7 ♬

I love my mmr but just found the same static issue when left on for a while. Any update?

Solution:

tbd

#559 7 years ago

Issue: Sound BAD #8 ♬

I have this exact issue, it happens after the machine has been left on for an hour or more.

Solution:

Continually turn off your MMR/LE pinball machine when sound starts sounding bad again.

#560 7 years ago

Issue: MMRLE Solenoids start getting weaker

Regarding the catapult eject being weak, below is what I've found after having my MMR on location for over a year.

Occasionally the moat eject and usually the castle destruct would get weak or quit working. Lately it is the castle destruct coil that gets flaky after 1-2 weeks. I checked connections, repinned connectors, tried various different things and the problem would always come back. I finally figured out the issue, and the same issue could be affecting your catapult strength.

Solution:

The small driver board that contains the transistors sits on standoffs above the large playfield PCB that has the insert LEDs. Data is passed to the driver board through 0.1" header pins. The pins are on the driver board and push down through a 0.1" socket on the large playfield PCB. The pins are located under the chip that is on the driver board PCB. The solution is to push down and wiggle this connection to make sure you are getting good contact. After doing this my moat problems went away and my castle destruct works fine for a couple weeks but eventually it starts getting flaky again.
I don't have a good picture of what I'm describing, but I did find a pic and I've highlighted the chip that has the connector underneath it. (see pic)

At some point I'll fix it for good by changing the pins and socket. But right now since the game is on location I raise the playfield every couple of weeks and push/wiggle the connector and the problem goes away. This may not be your problem, but give it a try and see if it helps.

MMRLE-pcb-solenoid-power-1.jpgMMRLE-pcb-solenoid-power-1.jpg

#561 7 years ago

Issue: Colorization Display Defects + Call out Sound Defects

Quoted from Rat:

I politely asked Rick Bartlett (PPS CEO) if there would be:
1. an update to the colour to fix the issues that had been reported and
2. also asked if the update to the call-outs was happening.

Solution:

Quoted from Rat:

In Rick's Bartlett (PPS CEO) answer he did not address either of my questions but instead told me:
1. he did not understand what my problem was, and
2. Rick Bartlett (PPS CEO) asked if I wanted to cancel my order, so I can only assume neither of these will be addressed.

Here's the full original for reference:

Quoted from Rat:

I politely asked Rick if there would be an update to the colour to fix the issues that had been reported and also asked if the update to the call-outs was happening.
In his answer he did not address either of my questions but instead told me he did not understand what my problem was and asked if I wanted to cancel my order, so I can only assume neither of these will be addressed.

#562 7 years ago

The above "quotes" are not actually quotes at all and have been edited in a way that I believe changes the emphasis and tone of what I posted.

Here is my original post.

Quoted from Rat:

I politely asked Rick if there would be an update to the colour to fix the issues that had been reported and also asked if the update to the call-outs was happening.
In his answer he did not address either of my questions but instead told me he did not understand what my problem was and asked if I wanted to cancel my order, so I can only assume neither of these will be addressed.

#563 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

The above "quotes" are not actually quotes at all and have been edited in a way that I believe changes the emphasis and tone of what I posted.
Here is my original post.

thanks. was going to post the original as well for reference but got yanked away to dinner before finishing.
i added #'s for each item separately, full name & bolded the scary solution recommended.

#565 7 years ago

whats the deal with that audio issue? is it only a few that have experienced it.. or is it widespread.

#566 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

whats the deal with that audio issue? is it only a few that have experienced it.. or is it widespread.

It's a combination of issues effecting every machine.
I.e.
Low quality speakers used,
Call outs audio plays at low volume.
Static & noise starts getting introduced after pin is on after 1st hour.

Check out page 1. One of the first posts is all about sound, but not exhaustive. There's more throughout.
cheers

#567 7 years ago

Just wondering for those who have done it, does changing the speakers improve the clarity of speech materially? Or should I just wait for the software update that may never come.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from Shastings:

Just wondering for those who have done it, does changing the speakers improve the clarity of speech materially? Or should I just wait for the software update that may never come.

I've heard feedback from folks that it's both.
There's 1 gentleman who has modified the MMR code to improve the speech as well.
He has provided those code changes to PPS / CGC in hopes they will incorporate it into a next release soon (date unknown).

#569 7 years ago

its taken someone else to do a fix on this?.... you would think cgc would make the effort.

#570 7 years ago

As I understand it from talking to Rick, the code change provided by someone here improves the symptoms of the sound problem, but does not fix the root cause. Therefore, it may have unintended side effects, such as changing the callout volume at other times when there is no issue.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

As I understand it from talking to Rick, the code change provided by someone here improves the symptoms of the sound problem, but does not fix the root cause. Therefore, it may have unintended side effects, such as changing the callout volume at other times when there is no issue.

I didn't notice any side effects, but I'm not an audiophile either. To me the callouts are at a much better volume than they were.

The real answer is the get CGC to do a proper fix.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I didn't notice any side effects, but I'm not an audiophile either. To me the callouts are at a much better volume than they were.
The real answer is the get CGC to do a proper fix.

Hopefully, they will release a plastic sound diffuser to place over the speakers.

#573 7 years ago

Issue: MMRLE Mismatched trim packages

My BLACK trim MMRLE came with STAINLESS/Silver legs.
Have also heard of other new owners who have stainless trims that came with black legs.

Solution:

Unknown

#574 7 years ago
#575 7 years ago

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#576 7 years ago

Is this normal?
No boot "bong" sound.
It was there before the update.

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Is this normal?
No boot "bong" sound.
It was there before the update.
» YouTube video

I don't have the bong anymore.
Think you're good to go.

#578 7 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

I don't have the bong anymore.
Think you're good to go.

Thanks. Just wondering if it was normal or something was wrong. Because I have read some posts saying it's still there.
And I noticed my speakers sound more scratchy (background hiss) with the update.

And never really got a definite answer.

#579 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Thanks. Just wondering if it was normal or something was wrong. Because I have read some posts saying it's still there.
And I noticed my speakers sound more scratchy (background hiss) with the update.

I don't have any background hiss or other problems with sound.
Or I just can't hear as well as others on Pinside.

Enjoy playing your MMR, I sure am.

#580 7 years ago

~ 50 total games and 20 ish since the failed Beagle Bone was replaced. Found the playfield clear cracking, small star inserts starting to slightly ghost and a couple of inserts are now uncentered near the catapult. When running your fingernail across them, you can feel the clear material. Submitted ticket to CGC and awaiting response.

image1-2 (resized).JPGimage1-2 (resized).JPG

image2-2 (resized).JPGimage2-2 (resized).JPG

image4 (resized).JPGimage4 (resized).JPG

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

~ 50 total games and 20 ish since the failed Beagle Bone was replaced. Found the playfield clear cracking, small star inserts starting to slightly ghost and a couple of inserts are now uncentered near the catapult. When running your fingernail across them, you can feel the clear material. Submitted ticket to CGC and awaiting response.

reply: "falls within our stringent quality control standards"

#582 7 years ago

"When running your fingernail across them, you can feel the clear material."

Solution: Stop running your fingernail across them.

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from Riles:

"When running your fingernail across them, you can feel the clear material."
Solution: Stop running your fingernail across them.

Maybe they'll send him some complementary nail clippers and an emery board.

#584 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Change them with Pinball Pro. I<ve got better sound since and I play my machine at 12 instead of 8 with the stock speakers. Big improvement.

#585 7 years ago

I just pictured Charlie Emery riding by on a skateboard.

#586 7 years ago

Always a good laugh on Pinside. I would have never looked in the ball trough had pieces of clear not ejected into the shooter lane.

Will let everyone know what next steps are...

#587 7 years ago

CGC called today... Super personable and Doug was great to chat with. All 3 concerns meet production standards. I was told since the clear is adhered to a vertical plane, this is acceptable and "happens" and it's hidden under the apron. The insert issues are physically impossible due to portions of the production process having very low tolerances. Finally, CGC feels there is not ghosting present on the stars.

CGC has been nothing but top notch addressing all of my concerns. They replaced the Beaglebone when it failed and although the game had a small scratch on the head out of the box, they had a new sticker on my door step within 48 hours. I know a lot of folks have various experiences, but CGC has up until this point, towed the line.

#588 7 years ago

Issue: Date/Time erased-lost-reset after latest code update

Owner #1: OK so I am still getting time & date being wiped after the latest update.

Owner #2: Yes, happened to me and others. Seemed like it hit us all around the same time after we updated. Has only happened once to me since the new release.

Owner #3: Yes, I also experienced this. I submitted a trouble ticket to CGC.

Owner #4: I was asked to change the battery, which I did. Haven't seen it since, but the jury is still out there on whether that fixed it or not. I think it'll probably take a few months to have enough time to see if that really fixed it

Solution:
CGC told owner to replace the 2032 battery in the board. I replaced the battery and it seems to have solved the issue. Hope that helps!

#589 7 years ago

Issue: Clear plastic guards hitting Castle

I had this issue and discovered that the clear plastic guards atop the castle that prevent airballs from getting stuck were rubbing against the castle towers when the castle got destroyed.

Solution:

Simply bend the plastic pieces at their mount (its a thin metal mount that bends easily) so they are not in the way when the castle towers move. Use the top right tower piece to simulate the castle destruction movement.

#590 7 years ago

Issue: Voice audio is hard to hear & overall sound is low quality

Everyone has been complaining about how muffled the voices are, get drowned out, and how low they sound when compared to a classic MM machine. When I received my MMr I also noticed that the voices were getting drowned out from the music. I read about people swapping out the cheap "Made in China" (written on back) speakers. They lack a real tweeter and run at a 86db sensitivity.
The old cheap speaker was only a "mid-range driver that doesn't even have a whizzer (which is the inexpensive way to get some treble compared to a dedicated tweeter). This is why voices sound muffled.
It was always an issue with the speakers not being able to reach the proper pitch and sound sensitivity to make it sound they way it should. If you are not thrilled with the quality sound, music and get frustrated that you can't hear the call outs or the funny lines from all the various characters in the game then do yourself a favor and make this upgrade a priority to your MMR/LE machine.

Solution:

This should be a "must do" change on EVERYBODY'S MMR/LE!
Upgrade the speakers with >> Kicker 40CS54 that has 90db sensitivity.
url = http://amzn.to/2bYDTHR
price = $59.00 USD

These new speakers install perfectly into this machine. It almost feels like they were "supposed" to be the correct speakers installed into an MMr. They fit into the circular frame lip like a glove. A few solder here and there to the wires and boom. New speakers and WOW what a HUGE difference! Let me see if I can properly explain the quality increase in sound that will make sense in word form, without you actually hearing it.

After changing the speakers:

1. When turning on the machine and starting a game, I was instantly blown away with how the King's voice was much, MUCH louder, clearer, and cleaner. It sounded very separated from the music and not "mushed together" in a muddy way that the old cheap stock speakers sounded. I guess the added 3db makes a huge difference.

2. As played, I also could hear a distinct separation of music instruments such as the snare drums and horns. They definitely sounded sharper and higher resolution.

3. The bass was greatly improved and increased too, noticeably when you lose a ball and the scores get added up. Such a distinct difference!

4. Another cool thing that really stood out was a certain sound effect. When you chop off the Dragon's Head the sound of the slash "Shhhhink" sound was at a higher and clearer pitch. It was so much louder that it actually made me look up at the DMD screen and take notice. Not so loud that it hurt my ears or anything. It just was VERY noticeable, when before it just kinda got lost and muffled when squished with the music like all the other background sounds did (or used to before the upgrade).

This really is a MUST for any MMR/LE owner. It's a shame that the creators didn't put higher quality speakers into this machine because it really needs and deserves them. I feel bad for any MMR/LE owner that has NOT made this update to their machine yet and I think they are missing out on such a great improvement to their machine.

MMRLE-sound-upgrade-wiring-1 (resized).jpgMMRLE-sound-upgrade-wiring-1 (resized).jpg

MMRLE-speakers-kicker-2 (resized).jpgMMRLE-speakers-kicker-2 (resized).jpgMMRLE-speakers-kicker-1 (resized).jpgMMRLE-speakers-kicker-1 (resized).jpg

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

This was my post on MMr mods and speaker swap page.

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Everyone has been complaining about how muffled the voices are, get drowned out, and how low they sound when compared to a classic MM machine. When I received my MMr I also noticed that the voices were getting drowned out from the music. I read about people swapping out the cheap "Made in China" (written on back) speakers. They lack a real tweeter and run at a 86db sensitivity.
The old cheap speaker was only a "mid-range driver that doesn't even have a whizzer (which is the inexpensive way to get some treble compared to a dedicated tweeter). This is why voices sound muffled.
It was always an issue with the speakers not being able to reach the proper pitch and sound sensitivity to make it sound they way it should. If you are not thrilled with the quality sound, music and get frustrated that you can't hear the call outs or the funny lines from all the various characters in the game then do yourself a favor and make this upgrade a priority to your MMR/LE machine.
Solution:
price = $59.00 USD
These new speakers install perfectly into this machine. It almost feels like they were "supposed" to be the correct speakers installed into an MMr. They fit into the circular frame lip like a glove. A few solder here and there to the wires and boom. New speakers and WOW what a HUGE difference! Let me see if I can properly explain the quality increase in sound that will make sense in word form, without you actually hearing it.
After changing the speakers:
1. When turning on the machine and starting a game, I was instantly blown away with how the King's voice was much, MUCH louder, clearer, and cleaner. It sounded very separated from the music and not "mushed together" in a muddy way that the old cheap stock speakers sounded. I guess the added 3db makes a huge difference.
2. As played, I also could hear a distinct separation of music instruments such as the snare drums and horns. They definitely sounded sharper and higher resolution.
3. The bass was greatly improved and increased too, noticeably when you lose a ball and the scores get added up. Such a distinct difference!
4. Another cool thing that really stood out was a certain sound effect. When you chop off the Dragon's Head the sound of the slash "Shhhhink" sound was at a higher and clearer pitch. It was so much louder that it actually made me look up at the DMD screen and take notice. Not so loud that it hurt my ears or anything. It just was VERY noticeable, when before it just kinda got lost and muffled when squished with the music like all the other background sounds did (or used to before the upgrade).
This really is a MUST for any MMR/LE owner. It's a shame that the creators didn't put higher quality speakers into this machine because it really needs and deserves them. I feel bad for any MMR/LE owner that has NOT made this update to their machine yet and I think they are missing out on such a great improvement to their machine.

Thanks! So do you wire these up the same way as the original speakers your taking out?

#593 7 years ago

@lapnip It could be useful to link back to the original post for those who want to read more.

#594 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Thanks! So do you wire these up the same way as the original speakers your taking out?

I did it the same.

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

I would not recommend wiring it up the same way. Wiring up the replacement speakers the same way as the stock speakers could potentially cause damage to the amplifier due to the impedance difference. See this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-update-the-speakers-on-their-mmr

#596 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I would not recommend wiring it up the same way. Wiring up the replacement speakers the same way as the stock speakers could potentially cause damage to the amplifier due to the impedance difference. See this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-update-the-speakers-on-their-mmr

Cool thanks! Ya I had that thread as a favorite from along time ago..........

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

price = $59.00 USD

How does that speaker compare to the Flipper Fidelity FF5? It's also 2-way, $22.95/each plus shipping, and is 8 Ohms, so no need to change any wiring.

#598 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

I guess the added 3db makes a huge difference.

It's not the added db, which just makes everything louder, but the improved frequency response when adding the tweeter. I'm going to try this upgrade as well

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from robbo105:

How does that speaker compare to the Flipper Fidelity FF5? It's also 2-way, $22.95/each plus shipping, and is 8 Ohms, so no need to change any wiring.

This discussion is probably better in the other thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-update-the-speakers-on-their-mmr

#600 7 years ago

placeholder

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Bloomfield Township, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 26.50
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs
Armor and blades
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wolcott, CT
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-nib-repair-kit/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.