20201020_165713 (resized).jpg
IMG_3263 (resized).jpg
a2c33644c3e880ab6e8e8947c191554916c72508 (resized).jpg
97a50f74d34c0859106740b5bd7f7df496ab54d2 (resized).jpg
Ring3 (resized).jpg
Ring2 (resized).jpg
Ring1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200728_114039299 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mokthemagicman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks for starting the thread. Yay!

Can someone please start taking pics of all the different places that are good to tap into for power on LED lights and how they did it? Can't wait to see all the cool mods on this pin here in this thread.

1 week later
#31 7 years ago

Can someone plez post a photo of where you are linking to GI under the playfield or other? Can it be alligator clipped? Should I soder? I want to know how extra lights and spotlights are being wired for dis stuff. If it was a normal MM it would be no problem but with this circuit board I don't know how to go about it. I don't want to mess it up.

I want to light up under Wizard & Catapult plastics and add spotlights to slings. Can anyone help? Thanks.

1 month later
#44 7 years ago

Since I really love this game I decided to fully pimp out this machine and make it the best it can be with tasteful mods. I added the usual decals seen on past forum posts on the target bumpers, and Troll targets along with the decal near the drawbridge. I wanted to add Mirror blades on this machine. It really makes it shine. I think it makes this pin look even more beautiful (if that is even possible).
I also added the metal mod upgrades. The shield looks crooked in the photo but I later fixed it. The swords on the flippers flew off after a few days so I will have to figure out how to properly attach them. They had 3M backing but it didn't work. Also added was the Catapult and Merlin light mods so you can see them. I love that mod. Spotlights added for playfield. They also look nice in a dark room. Swap out of the stock black rubber flippers with Purple Titans to better match the playfield I think looks sweet. I also added a Polk external subwoofer under the machine (not shown).

Decals (resized).JPGDecals (resized).JPG
light mods (resized).JPGlight mods (resized).JPG
Blades (resized).JPGBlades (resized).JPG

Last but not least and I think is the most important upgrade to this machine is a speaker swap out. This should be a "must do" change on EVERYBODY'S MMr! Everyone has been complaining about how muffeled the voices are, get drowned out, and how low they sound when compared to a classic MM machine. When I received my MMr I also noticed that the voices were getting drowned out from the music. I read about people swapping out the cheap "Made in China" (written on back) speakers. They lack a real tweater and run at a 86db sensitivity. I took advice from fellow pinsider Nosro and upgraded the speakers with Kicker 40CS54 that has 90db sensitivity. He said that the old cheap speaker was only a "mid-range driver that doesn't even have a whizzer (which is the inexpensive way to get some treble compared to a dedicated tweeter). This is why voices sound muffled."

Interesting right? So I took the plunge and decied to try em out.

SpeakerUpgrade (resized).JPGSpeakerUpgrade (resized).JPG
SpeakerUpgrade02 (resized).JPGSpeakerUpgrade02 (resized).JPG

First I must say that the speakers install perfectly into this machine. It almost feels like they were "supposed" to be the correct speakers installed into an MMr. They fit into the circular frame lip like a glove. A few solder here and there to the wires and boom. New speakers and WOW what a HUGE difference! Let me see if I can properly explain the quality increase in sound that will make sense in word form, without you actually hearing it.

First off when I turned on the machine and started a game I was instantly blown away with how the King's voice was much, MUCH louder, clearer, and cleaner. It sounded very separated from the music and not "mushed together" in a muddy way that the old cheap stock speakers sounded. So really the problem wasn't the software not having an option to turn down the music. It was always an issue with the speakers not being able to reach the proper pitch and sound sensitivity to make it sound they way it should. This is really too bad. So an update to the software for adjusting the sound isn't the answer. Upgrading the speakers is! I guess the added 3db makes a huge difference.

As I played I also could hear a distinct separation of music instruments such as the snare drums and horns. They definitely sounded sharper and higher resolution. The bass was greatly improved and increased too, noticably when you lose a ball and the scores get added up. Such a distinct difference! Another cool thing that really stood out was a certain sound effect. When you chop off the Dragon's Head the sound of the slash "Shhhhink" sound was at a higher and clearer pitch. It was so much louder that it actually made me look up at the DMD screen and take notice. Not so loud that it hurt my ears or anything. It just was VERY noticeable, when before it just kinda got lost and muffeled when squished with the music like all the other background sounds did (or used to before the upgrade).

Overall, the swap out with the Kicker speakers turned out awesome and I am very happy with it. As I said, this really is a MUST for any MMr owner. It's a shame that the creators didn't put higher quality speakers into this machine because it really needs and deserves them. I feel bad for any MMr owner that has NOT made this update to their machine yet and I think they are missing out on such a great improvement to their machine. If you are not thrilled with the quality sound, music and get frustrated that you can't hear the call outs or the funny lines from all the various characters in the game then do yourself a favor and make this upgrade a priority to your MMr machine. You will love it! At least I do.

http://amzn.to/2bYDTHR
Here is a link to my $59 Kicker upgrade if you want em:

1 week later
#48 7 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Nice writeup Mok!
I got the pinball pro mmr set and it sounds great, there are tweeters in the backbox speakers as well (someone mentioned it was just midrange apeakers which isnt the case).
Your speaker method sounds like a great and cost efficient alternative for sure!
Does the Merlin light you put in constantly lit or does it turn on based on mode?

No. I just hooked it to GI so it is always on. If it wasn't for the circuit board in the way I could wire it to the lights like a normal MM would be. Oh well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 26.50
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mokthemagicman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-mods-post-them-here?tu=mokthemagicman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.