(Topic ID: 326927)

MMR left Troll switch bad

By EightiesArcade

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Not sure where to start on this one. I’ve reseated as many boards or connectors as I can. I keep getting a credit dot saying left troll up switch bad. Which eventually tricks the game into deactivating the troll. In switch test it will test fine. A few games can then be played after the test and the troll will come up. However, the credit dot won’t go away. The troll is activating the switch.

#2 1 year ago

Does the troll switch work in game? Is it adjusted correctly?

#3 1 year ago

Improper switch gap? The one thing I've had on my MMR regarding the troll is that the margin of plastic on the back bottom from the bottom screw hole to the bottom edge of the troll is thin and can break (mine did) and the troll doesn't work properly (not positioned properly anymore for switch registers) unless the troll head is replaced.

#4 1 year ago

Tests - Switch Edge - Hold left troll up, push his face. Does it work ? If not check for broken wires that go to his leaf blade switch.

Easy to have a wire break or diode leg break on them.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Hold left troll up, push his face

I think the question was asking about the "up" switch, i.e. the one that detects/confirms that the troll has been lifted up by the solenoid.

I have the original, not the remake, so I can't comment specifically on how/if the switch could be out of adjustment on the remake. I don't know whether they used the same design.

The "up" switch has always been reliable on my machine, and it's the impact switch that is more problematic. Though in my case, it has always turned out to be the button on the leaf of the leaf switch getting loose and failing to make contact. Wires and diodes have always been fine.

#6 1 year ago

So to clarify. The up switch is adjusted properly. The troll will work in game, but only for a while after I manually activate the switch. But the biggest issue is this dot won’t go away. In switch test, I push the solenoid up, and confirm it works. I do this over and over, and it works. This by itself should clear the credit dot.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from EightiesArcade:

So to clarify. The up switch is adjusted properly. The troll will work in game, but only for a while after I manually activate the switch. But the biggest issue is this dot won’t go away. In switch test, I push the solenoid up, and confirm it works. I do this over and over, and it works. This by itself should clear the credit dot.

Question is more for my own edification than anything else. Does re-installing the software clear a credit dot like that?

#8 1 year ago

I had a similar issue with the right troll, but mine would not come up at times either, in addition to the credit dot/error when going in maintenance.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-owners-club-all-things-mmr-discussed/page/184#post-6824985

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Question is more for my own edification than anything else. Does re-installing the software clear a credit dot like that?

Good question.
    What code are you on EightiesArcade

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

I think the question was asking about the "up" switch,

As he wrote it, the up switch is the troll face.

If in doubt check the switch number on the error. #74 is the troll face leaf blade switch, #45 is the up/down under the playfield, a micro mini switch.

LTG : )

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

As he wrote it, the up switch is the troll face.

But, is that really as he wrote it? It's not how I read it, and it's an odd way to interpret what he wrote IMHO. There are only two posts from the OP, and everything in those posts looks very much like they are talking about the up/down switch under the playfield.

I must've missed where he specifically called out the switch number as #74, or anything else that would somehow indicate they mean the troll's face switch, instead of the up/down switch under the playfield. Maybe you can remind me where that was.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

ut, is that really as he wrote it?

Who cares. Some are hard to decipher or understand what is going on.

Quoted from pete_d:

I must've missed where he specifically called out the switch number as #74,

He didn't. Since he has the error, he can see the number easily on the error to help sort it out. I posted both numbers and locations to help him.

I'm done. He's all yours.

#13 1 year ago

I had a similar issue with the troll. Mine was broken, and the machine started using the target on the play field instead of raising the troll. After making the proper repairs, I could successfully test, but couldn't get the machine to start raising the troll. I had to "factory restore" game. In the original Williams menus. That cleared the credit dot and of course all my settings/ scores. But that was the fix. Might be worth a try.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

But, is that really as he wrote it?

Regardless, the OP didn't do a good job describing the issue. He's been a member here for three years, owns about 20 games, but couldn't describe the problem well. If you've ever worked on a MM, you know that it takes a few switches to make the trolls work properly. Complicated contraptions. If you need help with your trolls, specifying switch numbers is absolutely needed. Don't shoot LTG for trying to help. Shoot OP for not getting his message across well.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

the OP didn't do a good job describing the issue

True enough. But that's reason to ask for clarification if you're not sure. Not to assume something else, then get snippy with someone who is just trying to help clarify things.

Quoted from phishrace:

Don't shoot LTG for trying to help

Nobody "shot" LTG, least of all me. He's the one that got all bent out of shape just because someone else had the temerity to question even in the slightest way what he'd written.

Quoted from phishrace:

Shoot OP for not getting his message across well

Why shoot anyone? Why not just try to be helpful, which includes helping the OP clarify their question?

I see no reason for LTG, you, or anyone else to be so hostile to other people. If you don't want to help, fine. But in that case, just don't post anything. Posting rude messages about how badly someone else did something isn't helpful and makes for a very unwelcoming community.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

I had a similar issue with the right troll, but mine would not come up at times either, in addition to the credit dot/error when going in maintenance.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-owners-club-all-things-mmr-discussed/page/184#post-6824985

That seems to have solved the issue. I just recently replaced a shorted transistor on one of the solenoid boards which plugs into the main board. It definitely needs to be really tightened in, and the screws provided seem close to going through the playfield. The Attack from Mars remake has the solenoid board in the back box, which seems to make more sense for heavy play.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from EightiesArcade:

That seems to have solved the issue. I just recently replaced a shorted transistor on one of the solenoid boards which plugs into the main board. It definitely needs to be really tightened in, and the screws provided seem close to going through the playfield. The Attack from Mars remake has the solenoid board in the back box, which seems to make more sense for heavy play.

Were you able to clear the credit dot?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-left-troll-switch-bad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.