(Topic ID: 122397)

MMr - is it a Williams or is it a Stern?

By xrayman

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif
i-like-where-this-thread-is-going.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
fat-girl-running.jpg
Chicago Gaming.JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

How does it play out of the box?

At Chicago expo it felt Stern like. Descriptors would include light weight, overly wobbly and nudgeable with little effort, overly slick on play field with absurd levels of ball slide.

Bad setup or is this what this game truly is?

Got to know before I spend another 7k.

Thanks.

Disclosure I'm in already 1k on this game with pps..

#2 4 years ago

Going to need popcorn for this thread ...

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Going to need popcorn for this thread ...

I'm resisting

#4 4 years ago

I played MMR in Chicago and agree with your descriptors. I know the setup was way off but that doesn't mean it isn't flimsy. I found it difficult to get a true feel for the cabinet as the feet were set way too high. Has anyone played it since Chicago. Please advise because I am also in for 1K?

#5 4 years ago

Answer to your thread title question:

Chicago Gaming.JPG
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

Front legs were jacked up, back legs were low. They made a great game, but set it up dopey.

It's not a Stern game. Chicago Gaming Company created it licensed by Planetary Pinball. Stern was contracted for manufacture.

#7 4 years ago
fat-girl-running.jpg
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

At Chicago expo it felt Stern like.

Interesting. Since the ones at Expo weren't assembled at Stern.

LTG : )™

#9 4 years ago

Excellent point LTG.

I would take anyone up on an offer to sample the actual goods within a reasonable travel distance.

#10 4 years ago

Start driving. Dallas will have one this weekend!

#11 4 years ago

"This Tony Robbins seminar is going to pay off in spades"

"My amber necklace wards off cancer"

"Stern games feel cheap"

"Lowering taxes raises revenue"

-Morons everywhere

#12 4 years ago

by "it felt like a stern" do you mean the code was incomplete?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Or fly into Love Field. Southwest still has reasonable air fares. Too bad my day job is keeping me away from TPF again this year

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

by "it felt like a stern" do you mean the code was incomplete?

zing of the day.

#15 4 years ago

I think it feels like a Williams. But you'll have to ask my wife. She's the best one to ask how it feels.

#16 4 years ago

I played one and actually though it played great, it was number 59 of 1000.. I had posted about it in another thread.

I enjoyed it.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

How does it play out of the box?
At Chicago expo it felt Stern like. Descriptors would include light weight, overly wobbly and nudgeable with little effort, overly slick on play field with absurd levels of ball slide.
Got to know before I spend another 7k.
Thanks.
Disclosure I'm in already 1k on this game with pps..</blockquote

If the game felt that way, why would u drop a grand in the project?

#18 4 years ago

I played the ones at Expo. They didn't feel anything like Stern games. Which I like, for the record, nothing wrong with how Stern games play. Thread premise is ridiculous.

The only issues with the ones at Expo were:

- Leveled like ass, super shallow playfield meant they didn't play well (and Rick knew it since he complained about the people bitching. FFS man, take the 5 minutes to fix it!)

- Screen tearing on the LCD, Lloyd has confirmed a fix for this is coming

- Translite was a little washed out. I'm super picky about that stuff though.

Otherwise they played fine, and the fact that Stern is putting them together just means that an experienced factory did it, instead of some fools who'd never assembled a game. Pointless to hate on it.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

LTG : )™

#20 4 years ago

I owned and played the crap out of a WMS MM for several years.
The ones at expo played as close to a real one as it could IMHO leveling aside....

#21 4 years ago

Don't care for Stern feel while still respecting the company for its historical role in saving pinball.

Please explain why the premise is ridiculous.

#22 4 years ago

Yea...i've really tried to concentrate on this tonight since I just got mine yesterday and had an original from a friend's collection in my house for a few months. I really think they feel as close as possible. I can't tell any difference.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

Don't care for Stern feel while still respecting the company for its historical role in saving pinball.

Because it's NOT A STERN. Stern didn't design it. It's not using Stern parts. Their factory is assembling them. That is all.

#24 4 years ago

Who designed it is irrelevant.

How does it play in real life out of the box?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

Who designed it is irrelevant.
How does it play in real life out of the box?

It's absolutely relevant. Stern didn't design it so why would it feel like a Stern?

Everyone who's played it so far has said it feels and plays great.

When I played it at the Chicago show (after they fixed the legs), it felt and played great.

The electronics are a bit different but it's using the same parts the Williams version did.

#26 4 years ago

What is relevant is this...

8k x 1000 games is 8m

Don't ever risk f up of sales when this kind of money is on the line.

Presentation must be 100% positive or doubts will occur and persist...

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

Well you have people telling you that the ONE you played wasn't set up right but you have people who have the game, set it up right, played the original AND the remake and said there's no dif. Who do you believe? A one time crappy experience or the people who have the game.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

#1. No one cares if you don't like Stern.

#2. Your premise is ridiculous because you don't understand the difference between design and assembly. Come back when you understand these two vital elements.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I played the ones at Expo. They didn't feel anything like Stern games. Which I like, for the record, nothing wrong with how Stern games play. Thread premise is ridiculous.
The only issues with the ones at Expo were:
- Leveled like ass, super shallow playfield meant they didn't play well (and Rick knew it since he complained about the people bitching. FFS man, take the 5 minutes to fix it!)
- Screen tearing on the LCD, Lloyd has confirmed a fix for this is coming
- Translite was a little washed out. I'm super picky about that stuff though.
Otherwise they played fine, and the fact that Stern is putting them together just means that an experienced factory did it, instead of some fools who'd never assembled a game. Pointless to hate on it.

And the incorrectly wired speakers at expo.

#30 4 years ago

pps/cgc were dismissive at expo regarding our concerns about the MMr setup at expo Friday night.

They said that their expert had set it up the way that was correct and best.

#31 4 years ago

It's gonna be impossible for the game to feel exactly like an original. It's a different time and different manufacturing process. These are reproductions. The real question should be if the added modern touches, like uncompressed audio which is huge to me, make up for any difference in feel. The only real way is to know is to try a MMLE yourself.

#32 4 years ago

capn kirk

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

#1. No one cares if you don't like Stern.
#2. Your premise is ridiculous because you don't understand the difference between design and assembly. Come back when you understand these two vital elements.

Number one. Agreed. Please be thankful. One less person in marketplace for stern garbage. Keeps price down. You are welcome..

Number two. Discussion is about game play and feel. Is this machine heavy or light. Is play field super slick or not? Don't change the subject..

#33 4 years ago

Doesn't play a damn thing like my Nine Ball.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

capn kirk

Number one. Agreed. Please be thankful. One less person in marketplace for stern garbage. Keeps price down. You are welcome..
Number two. Discussion is about game play and feel. Is this machine heavy or light. Is play field super slick or not? Don't change the subject..

Why would it be light!? It's literally using all of the same mechanical parts. Playfield is double clearcoated. Everyone who's received one so far says it looks amazing. It looks, feels, and plays like MM!

Quoted from xrayman:

What is relevant is this...
8k x 1000 games is 8m
Don't ever risk f up of sales when this kind of money is on the line.

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder and would probably not be happy with this game. Don't buy one. There, you can stop trolling now.

#35 4 years ago

How could it not be lighter?

Look at the main computer in head compared with old.

consider advances in technology over last twenty years.

Should I purchase this thing, im considering as mod the permanent addition of 45# weight to bottom cabinet for proper inertia..

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

How could it not be lighter?
consider advances in technology over last twenty years.
Should I purchase this thing, im considering as mod the permanent agreement of 45# weight to bottom cabinet.

It has boards attached to the bottom of the playfield, a shaker motor, and a thicker cabinet bottom. I'm sure the weight difference is negligible and has zero impact on the feel or gameplay. I can't imagine weight of PCBs inside the head of the game remotely make a difference in how a game feels. WWE has the new small Spike board in the head. Have not heard one complaint about light heads. lol

#37 4 years ago

image.jpg

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

Only thing missing is big metal plate and boards.

But in the lower cabinet. Big power supply covered with metal shield. Shaker motor. Things like that.

It will weigh as much if not more than an original.

#39 4 years ago

Ok. Let's squash this discussion by not discussing facts is the current pinside reality.

Whatever.

Current power supply to feed lower power leds and cpu is certainly more light weight than the previous tech of twenty years ago?

Explain how this machine can possibly be heavier than the original...

#40 4 years ago

image.jpg

#41 4 years ago

Unboxed weight of original vs weight of MMR?

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

I'll let ya know when I get back from benchpressing my games, bro!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

Dude...it's negligible. Why does it matter? Can you tell the difference between a 350 lb Road Show and a 275 lb Monster Bash? It doesn't make any difference! The game plays like a NEW MM. Same as original but with LEDs, thicker clearcoat and better sound. I suppose that Williams plastic emblem under the DMD on the original weighs it down more...

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Dude...it's negligible. Why does it matter? Can you tell the difference between a 350 lb Road Show and a 275 lb Monster Bash? It doesn't make any difference! The game plays like a NEW MM. Same as original but with LEDs, thicker clearcoat and better sound. I suppose that Williams plastic emblem under the DMD on the original weighs it down more...

That's encouraging. Would like to check it out..

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

pps/cgc were dismissive at expo regarding our concerns about the MMr setup at expo Friday night.
They said that their expert had set it up the way that was correct and best.

That's bullshit. That Saturday morning I got under the machine to level it, as I thought this was not OK. Total fabrication, I was not dismissive as I complained to CGC who set it up.

rick

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

It's gonna be impossible for the game to feel exactly like an original. It's a different time and different manufacturing process. These are reproductions. The real question should be if the added modern touches, like uncompressed audio which is huge to me, make up for any difference in feel. The only real way is to know is to try a MMLE yourself.

Agreed. Best response so far to my original question. More qualitative and quantitative reviews welcomed..

#47 4 years ago

These sort of threads drive me crazy. You have a troll that is willing to outright lie and spread FUD that very well can impact a business. Opinions are fine, but straight up lies are despicable.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

That's bullshit. That Saturday morning I got under the machine to level it, as I thought this was not OK. Total fabrication, I was not dismissive as I complained to CGC who set it up.
rick

Disagree fully. Didn't meet you Friday evening and also have witness to event.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

These sort of threads drive me crazy. You have a troll that is willing to outright lie and spread FUD that very well can impact a business. Opinions are fine, but straight up lies are despicable.

Define straight up lies explicitly.

#50 4 years ago

i-like-where-this-thread-is-going.jpg

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brownsburg, IN
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside