Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ski1game2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Looking for advice on a problem with a NIB MMR with a low number of plays...

Issue Summary: Left flipper is intermittently weak. Can be fine for a game, just weak for one shot during a game, multiple times during a game, or not work at all for a shot during a game.
Observed: Doesn't seem to ever happen if you press both flipper buttons at the same time.

Details:

During the nice summer months, our MMR sat idle. We just recently started playing it again in preparation for the heavy use of the holidays. After a few plays, an intermittent weakness in the left flipper was apparent. We opened up the game and noticed that the left flipper spring was more stretched out than the right and the cap screws for the flipper stop assembly were loose and the stop assembly was no longer flush to the coil. I tightened them and this seemed to work for a bit, then the left flipper seemed to intermittently decline again. Opened up the machine, and it was loose again. Tightened again a bit tighter. This seemed to help and got us through the Thanksgiving weekend, but it still had intermittent weakness.

Looked on-line and found the post noting that some of the flipper link assemblies (plungers) were just a bit too long. Bought a new one and installed it (didn't seem any different in length from original). Also installed a new spring. Played a bit and still had the intermittent problem.

Then, I switched the left and right Opto Flipper Assemblies. No effect. The left flipper is still intermittently weak.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to try next?

Thanks.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from ski1game2:

Anyone have any ideas as to what to try next?

Flipper coils plug onto driver board F1. I'd unscrew it, unplug it from the huge board below. Plug it back in, and be sure that row of ten pins is plugged into the board below real good.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Flipper coils plug onto driver board F1. I'd unscrew it, unplug it from the huge board below. Plug it back in, and be sure that row of ten pins is plugged into the board below real good.

Thanks for the super fast reply Lloyd. Tried your suggestion, but it did not resolve the problem. I also noticed:
- a few times pressing the right flipper button would cause the left flipper to move as well (either fully or a slight vibration)
- the left switch mounting bracket holes for the switch are not parallel to the playfield. They angle the switch a bit outward from the playfield.

Suggestion on what to try next?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from ski1game2:

If vibration sets off the flipper, it's either the interrupter or connectors. I'd reseat the flipper button opto board connectors, and also follow the wires to where they go next and reseat that.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ski1game2:

I got to thinking if that inteerupter isn't doing a good job, partially firing the opto, that would make for a weak flip.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I got to thinking if that inteerupter isn't doing a good job, partially firing the opto, that would make for a weak flip.

Switch them side to side and see if the issue follows .

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

He did, it didn’t.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I think I did that before I posted this thread:

Then, I switched the left and right Opto Flipper Assemblies. No effect. The left flipper is still intermittently weak.

Or, maybe you are suggesting I switch something other than the Opto Flipper Assemblies?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 45.00
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 26.50
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-intermittent-weak-left-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.