(Topic ID: 86670)

MMR if you had 8000.00 to spend would you buy the remake.

By 1BADTA

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by karmalord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

main_2.JPG
sell.jpg
New Canasta.jpg
48026923.jpg
MMr Color Display.jpg
There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude, it's pinball. No one cares about originality. This isn't like buying a one of a kind Luger or a 67 Camaro that sat in a garage for 40 years before being discovered. People play these games and now that the industry is somewhat healthy again the majority of people could give two shits about their pinball machines being collectable items. That all ended when 5-6 more players entered the game. Enjoy your "collectable" pinball machines as they continue to go down in value.

Jeez, we know where you stand, but thanks for speaking for everyone who buys pins on this planet about what do they care or not.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

+1
Once every guy has banged the hot chick, she's not that hot anymore.

Look no further than ACDC prem, arguably one of the best. Price on them has been dropping since pretty much everyone has one.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I just hope ( except for NIB) that I paid fair market value for my machines and that if/when it come time to sell I can get close to what I paid for them.

We all hope that we can sell stuff we buy for close to what we paid for it.

But the long term reality is that as our generation starts to pass away, the next generation will not have the fond memories of pinball that we did growing up. The values of pins will then start to decline .

Adjusted for inflation, only a handful of titles are now worth more than they cost new.

#54 10 years ago

Good game MM but not as good as STLE or AC/DC, Metallica in my opinion. Bad humour pin's from the 90's just feel dated to me, I think of The Hobbit and new Sterns on the horizon, wait and buy something new and exciting.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But the long term reality is that as our generation starts to pass away, the next generation will not have the fond memories of pinball that we did growing up. The values of pins will then start to decline .
Adjusted for inflation, only a handful of titles are now worth more than they cost new.

That may be true..... But I say we have at least a a good thirty years left. I'm only 45. My kids are immersed in the hobby by evil trickery on my part. They will have fond pinball memories ( each has their own machine).

So don't expect doom and gloom piles of scrap wood and copper just yet.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

How do I know? Common sense… try it some time.
There will be 1000's of these all NIB or HUO. They will be easy to find and when you do it will be in primo, like new condition. Not like trying to find a primo original today. Also its a remake… when true collectors begin their search they start with one key factor which MMr will NEVER have. ORIGINALITY!

I agree with you. I think some hardcore collectors will want an original, but I think the market for the few hard core original or bust are going to be few far and between. I am a collector and want my game to be nice an shiny and play well and when people see them say NICE! I look for restored when I can but price always plays apart in it. Example: BBB I would like to have but for $20K no way, not even close. I love my AC/DC BIB and I paid more than I should have for it but have seen them for $14K to $12K. Great game but I am out. If another guy can get $14K for it then what is wrong with that? Would I sell mine? NO, and I would ask $19K to keep you away from it.

It also go for mods. You have the few that are NEVER in my game! and others that can't get enough. Hey, if it's your game screw what the other guy thinks. If you don't want them do not add them, if you do buy them. Simple, it's all about your taste. It's just an options and they are like butt-holes everyone has one. There are games I would never own and games that I have others would never own. It all good and fun. So, yes in short I would buy a MM save some cash and be Happy Happy Happy. I think an Original would and should be higher, its an original.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude, it's pinball. No one cares about originality. This isn't like buying a one of a kind Luger or a 67 Camaro that sat in a garage for 40 years before being discovered. People play these games and now that the industry is somewhat healthy again the majority of people could give two shits about their pinball machines being collectable items. That all ended when 5-6 more players entered the game. Enjoy your "collectable" pinball machines as they continue to go down in value.

Well said.

#58 10 years ago

I have the money for MMRE but wouldn't even consider buying one until I can pick one up in the used HUO market in the 5k range. I'm fine waiting a few years. There's just nothing really different between the standard and LE and with an endless supply of standards going to be made I'm ok passing on a NIB.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Jeez, we know where you stand, but thanks for speaking for everyone who buys pins on this planet about what do they care or not.

Considering I've never posted anything on that subject before how you could you possibly know where I stood before my post? Unless you attended Teke's school of Nostradamus and Merlin.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Good game MM but not as good as STLE or AC/DC, Metallica in my opinion. Bad humour pin's from the 90's just feel dated to me, I think of The Hobbit and new Sterns on the horizon, wait and buy something new and exciting.

Tru Dat.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

That may be true..... But I say we have at least a a good thirty years left. I'm only 45. My kids are immersed in the hobby by evil trickery on my part. They will have fond pinball memories ( each has their own machine).
So don't expect doom and gloom piles of scrap wood and copper just yet.

Sure, there will be some kids who will grow up liking pinball, but 99.999% of kids today won't have a single childhood pinball memory, let alone the passion like we all did.

The next gen will be collecting cell phones and arguing which model gave the best Angry Birds experience.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Considering I've never posted anything on that subject before how you could you possibly know where I stood before my post? Unless you attended Teke's school of Nostradamus and Merlin.

Ah, forget much. Your comment of generalizing nobody buy/see pin as a "collectible" was posted about 2 hrs before mine. You do follow the timeline here, yeah?

#63 10 years ago

To the OP, the mindset of buying the MMR as a toy will let you enjoy it way more than buying as an investment.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

You do follow the timeline here, yeah?

I follow it very well, I just don't follow your quaalude induced, imbecilic counter point.

#65 10 years ago

No need to argue in the thread guys; take it to PM. Thanks in advance.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I follow it very well, I just don't follow your quaalude induced, imbecilic counter point.

Classy, resort to derogatory words and insult. Consider the thumbs up I got, others have no problem following my point. PM him? No thanks. I'm done.

#67 10 years ago

I see some guys are getting a little hot under the collar---- but here's my thought. Like just stated--it's just pinball!!! My true thoughts are after the remake is done the originals are going to drop in price.. Why because if it plays, sounds and looks like the original but it's brand spankin new my money's on the remake..... Maybe I'm nuts but that's the way I see it. Your future is in your 401k and your Roth IRA. If we make it that long.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

The LE and the Standard - no difference in holding value over time. They are not really Limited. Both will not hold value and prices will do the standard drop after they are unboxed. As far as we know Rick will rerun MMRLE whenever he gets enough orders. No chance of holding value on these. But I am in of course

this is incorrect info. MMRLE is limited to 1000 and will never be re-run.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

this is incorrect info. MMRLE is limited to 1000 and will never be re-run.

So technically the Standard could be the rarer of the two… will they sell an additional 1000 plus Standards? Doubtful.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

+1
+11
+11111111

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

So technically the Standard could be the rarer of the two… will they sell an additional 1000 plus Standards? Doubtful.

i have no idea but it's certainly possible there'll be more LEs than standards. doesnt necessarily mean theyll be worth less, though. look at marilyn taxis -- a lot more of those around than lolas, yet the marilyns sell for more.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

the majority of people could give two shits about their pinball machines being collectable items.

Speak for your self. My collection has been building for years. I view myself as a player and a collector. I have regret about selling some of my Midway pinball machines. Like CV that I purchased in1998. My AFM is mint. I bought it new. Monster Bash I bought it new. I have had many offers . But I like having them in my collection for nostalgia . I will not be doing back flips when or if my prized machine are possibly remade. Because then they will not be as collectable . But it is good for the enthusiast to able to purchase a remake of a classic pinball and there is nothing I can do about that. Peace

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i have no idea but it's certainly possible there'll be more LEs than standards. doesnt necessarily mean theyll be worth less, though. look at marilyn taxis -- a lot more of those around than lolas, yet the marilyns sell for more.

So maybe the Standards will sell for more? Why do you think the LE's would sell for more? Just hilarious how gullible some can be because something is labeled 'LE'

When the term LE meant something and they were totally different from the other models and there wasn't an overload of them being pumped out that was true. The LE thing today is nothing more than a selling tool… obviously it works!

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Speak for your self.

I did speak for myself, hence the reason I used the word "majority."

#75 10 years ago

Are you a mind reader .

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Are you a mind reader .

I have thoughts but don't feel like being banned. Have fun thinking you're correct. Since we can't get into politics here, I simply pointed out that the majority of people could care less if their machines increase in value or are considered "collectables." I'm pretty sure that's still accurate.

You only quoted part of my post which is typical.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I have been saying this for years… Now is the time to save if you are young and ready for the ultimate game room.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I did speak for myself, hence the reason I used the word "majority."

HAHAHAHA. What!?

Quoted from RobKnapp:

Are you a mind reader .

I'm with you brotha.

#79 10 years ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again

If PPS releases a sub standard MM or releases a game that doesn't live up to expectations, I think original MM prices are going to skyrocket.

If PPS knocks it out of the park and releases a game that is as good or better than the original, I think original MM prices are going to drop further.

I have an MM14 on order, so I happen to believe that they are going to knock it out of the park. I personally don't understand why having different boards, back box or light boards, makes a game less collectable.

Even with the remake, in comparison they aren't going to make THAT many of them. MM isn't collectable because of it's board set, or power transformer.

MM is collectable for a lot of reasons, stellar game play, funny, classic Williams, low production, excellent rules. MM14 is all those things and more. (all new parts, better audio, etc.)

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

MM is collectable for a lot of reasons, stellar game play, funny, classic Williams, low production, excellent rules. MM14 is all those things and more. (all new parts, better audio, etc.)

It is all those other than being low production. I might be wrong but I believe 2,000 have already been ordered? By comparison, there were only around 1,000 Iron Man's made and right around 500 CSI's made.

#81 10 years ago

Very true. But even compared to AC/DC, TSPP, LOTR and some other Sterns, 2,000 more MM's is still pretty low. Compared to almost any other Williams game, it is still low.

It's all relative and subjective though. 6,000 units in my opinion is still pretty low, not rare or anything.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

It is all those other than being low production. I might be wrong but I believe 2,000 have already been ordered? By comparison, there were only around 1,000 Iron Man's made and right around 500 CSI's made.

#82 10 years ago

Truth is, nobody knows what the future will bring in regards to collectability/pricing. I'm fairly new to pins. But the similarities between pins and HD motorcycles is uncanny. I witnessed the HUGE HD demand/price run up that took off in 1993.....and didn't stop until the economy started to tank in 2007.
In 1995, one of my friends paid $25,000 for a slightly used (1200 miles) Road King, that had an MSRP at that time of $14K. Another one of my friends owned a special edition 91 Sturgis (1600 bikes produced) motorcycle. He bought the bike for $8000 and tuned down someone that wanted to buy it at $20K.
Today, that Road King is a $5000 - $7000 bike. The 91 Sturgis is a $5000 - $8000 bike.
In the mid 1990's, you could buy a new Harley......and sell it for what you bought it for 3 years later. Of course, it eventually ended.
The point is this. Absolutely nobody knows what the future will bring.

Personally, I happen to think PPS will churn out thousands of MMR's, and production will continue until sales drop off. I also happen to think HUO versions will be available at perhaps $6500 in a year or so. That's simply my opinion.
Absolutely nobody has a clue what price point the MMR will be 10 years hence.

Buy an MMR if you want it to play & enjoy....and for no other reason. If you want a good investment, talk to a financial expert.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

MM isn't collectable because of it's board set, or power transformer.

You just don't seem to understand what collectible means or what collectors want… MMr is not an ORIGINAL. Its not made by Williams and it doesn't even have the Williams logos. Nothing original about it. And nothing collectible about it.

You're making it clear that you not only bought MMr because you want to play it but you're also think it will be collectible… you'll be disappointed there. Buy MMr to enjoy not to collect.

Collectors collect and invest in Picasso paintings because he painted them. Period. No one is investing and collecting paintings that look like Picasso's but were painted by someone else… even if the colors are brighter and the frame is cooler.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

And there are less Luci's than BIBLE's and fewer Roadcase premiums than MOPLEs. Rarity doesn't always mean more valuable..

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Collectors collect and invest in Picasso paintings because he painted them. Period. No one is investing and collecting paintings that look like Picasso's but were painted by someone else… even if the colors are brighter and the frame is cooler.

And people collect artist prints, too. Nothing original about them, but they are beautiful to look at, have a limited quantity printed, and in many cases increase in value.

It's best to leave analogies out of the discussion and simply admit it's all speculation and option at this point.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

This is where I believe your analogy is flawed.

If pinball machines were ONLY static pieces of art, then you would be 100% correct. Then is would be HUGELY important which logo was on the machine, etc....

Obviously that's NOT what pinball is.

So, time will tell, but I think this difference is why there is a POSSIBILITY that a remade MM COULD be worth more than an original. If it plays better, looks better, sounds better- many folks will say its worth more.

btw, not to get into a philosophical discussion, but seeing what sometimes gets replaced/re-fabricated/remade on some of these very high end restoration jobs- the final result may have precious few "original" parts anyways....

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

And people collect artist prints, too. Nothing original about them, but they are beautiful to look at, have a limited quantity printed, and in many cases increase in value.

I'll give you that but artist prints are perfect copies of the original… MMr isn't even that. And artists prints only increase in value if they keep the numbers very low. My example wasn't even talking about artists prints anyway.

#88 10 years ago

Let's compare Picasso's art to pinball, even though they have nothing to do with each other. . Your arguments are pretty thin sometimes.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from Hoopjohn:

I'm fairly new to pins. But the similarities between pins and HD motorcycles is uncanny.

Isn't it funny that one of the guys on the team for the Harley Davidson turn around, was the main guy with the Stern turn around.....?

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Let's compare Picasso's art to pinball, even though they have nothing to do with each other.

You missed the point… again. Not comparing art to pinball just trying to help you grasp the 'collecting/collector' mindset.

Quoted from jalpert:

Your arguments are pretty thin sometimes.

No, just too difficult for you… maybe I'll try flash cards next time.

#91 10 years ago

I have an idea, let's sum up Teekee's thoughts.
1. He doesn't like that MM is being remade.
2. He will pretty much call anyone who is buying one an idiot because he doesn't like the project, so we all must be idiots for buying one.
3. He is mad because the price of the original MMs that he is always flipping most likely won't be so ridiculously high anymore.

That's about it, unless I am missing something. Just tired of seeing him pop up in every MMr thread to bitch.

#92 10 years ago

There are a lot of people who agree with teekee. He's not even saying it sucks. He's simply explaining there is a difference between a remake and an original from a collectible standpoint, and there is.

It seems anyone who says anything negative about MMr in any of the 2,538,630 MMr threads is wrong no matter what.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

He's simply explaining there is a difference between a remake and an original from a collectible standpoint

Is there anybody here on Pinside that does not understand this????

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Is there anybody here on Pinside that does not understand this????

Yeah look up a few posts

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yeah look up a few posts

He is just yanking your guys chain.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, there will be some kids who will grow up liking pinball, but 99.999% of kids today won't have a single childhood pinball memory, let alone the passion like we all did.
The next gen will be collecting cell phones and arguing which model gave the best Angry Birds experience.

I had not-so-fond memories of pinball from childhood, taking my money and giving me drains. I played WAY more Ms Pac Man and Donkey Kong and thought pinball was all luck. However, I was exposed to pinball here and there. As an adult, all the things that intrigue me: electromechanical nature of pinball, it's a game with lots of skill at play, fun of competing and hanging with other pinball enthusiasts, the art, etc. - those are what have driven my obsession since sincerely entering the hobby only a year ago.

While many kids won't have a pinball memory, 99.999% is a bit high there. My students (about 140 plus visitors) have now all been exposed to pinball (both an EM-Top Score and early SS-Close Encounters). Plus the kids of pinheads have been exposed. Not everything we become obsessed with ties back to childhood in so far as we must have a strong remembrance for it. I do, however, think a large part of the resurgence in past years is likely tied to the childhoods of many collectors. I think that resurgence might just infect the current generation of the next decade's collectors.

#97 10 years ago

Teekee is spot on

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

While many kids won't have a pinball memory, 99.999% is a bit high there.

I just reran the numbers on my salvaged Cray computer and it says worldwide, 99.999% of children won't have a single childhood memory of playing pinball.

I, of course, applaud people like you who are out there preaching the pin gospel to the kids!

#99 10 years ago

MMR will hold value better than current MM. Give it a year and well see how many sell north of 8k unless it's a mint original or a HEP quality resto.

#100 10 years ago

I know it's an obvious statement, but these things will end up being worth what people will be willing to fork over for them. I have a feeling the originals will come way down unless they are in absolutely top notch condition. I also have a feeling that after a few years, the remakes end up around 5-6K, second hand.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 64.99
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-if-you-had-800000-to-spend-would-you-buy-the-remake/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.