143.JPG
138.JPG
135.JPG
140.JPG
136.JPG
134.JPG
132.JPG
133.JPG
There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

What I find completely hilarious , is I got 16 thumbs down? That means 16 of you guys like his blurry pictures? LMAO !!

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

Ok, I apologize. Those were honest questions, I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I'm new to pins so when people were saying that 8k is a great deal on a pinball it was just shocking to me. For some reason I thought that 17 years of innovation and technology would allow these machines to be made for less but I do understand what you guys are saying.

Again, it's just perspective. 20k vs. 8k. When I started collecting in 2007, MM was $5k and I was like "are you f*cking nuts!?!?!?" For me (and probably some others) - there's something weird about spending a ton on a used product...but I cut it some slack if it's new. That's how I got into NIB Sterns and now an upcoming NIB MMr.

Quoted from Craig:

Does it ever hit you out of the blue how much money you have tied up in pins? Somewhere along the way, $8k started to sound almost reasonable. The first time I bought a pin for over $3k I almost felt sick. I am the frog in the soon-to-be-boiling water, I guess...

Haha...that's how it starts, though...and your personal threshold can just go up and up and up. When I first started, my first pin was $300. For my second, I couldn't believe I was about to spend $1000! However, I was always buying games below market value...projects that I could fix up and always sell for more if need be. That's how collecting pinballs became less scary. If you know you can get out of it break even or even make a few bucks, why not? I'm sure others justified their growing collections the same way. The first time I wrote a $4000 check for a game (Cirqus Voltaire) I was like "I'm nuuuuuuts!" ...but what's the game worth now? $6, 7k? Even if it dropped back down to $4k...what a great hobby! I got to enjoy this sweet game for free!

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

This could have said , " To bad the pictures are blurry , better luck next time "

You could of said ..." I was disappointing with the quality of the pictures when I downloaded them and thought they were better than nothing! Next time I get invited ,I will bring a real camera ."
My statement was not a attack as you guys took it . It was more of ME being disappointed, not being able to see all the details of a factory I am completely intrigued by.
What I find completely hilarious , is I got 16 thumbs down? That means 16 of you guys like his blurry pictures? LMAO !!

I don't like blurry photos either. I gave your first post a thumbs down because you came off sounding like an ass in your post, and I disagreed with your taking a dump on the OP's extensive efforts to share what he learned about the machine.

Also if this response was supposed to be an "apology", it's pretty weak. You say, in essence, "I called your efforts 'shitty' -- instead of being offended you should have said 'I'm sorry sir, you're right, I'll try harder next time!'" As someone stated far more succinctly above, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. You said it terribly, you got 16 thumbs-downs. Not exactly shocking.

#104 9 years ago

Thanks for an excellent, detailed report and kudos to Churchill for giving the tour and allowing you to take photos. Hard to take brilliant snaps with a phone camera when its low light, you're on the move etc, but they give a good feel for things. Reports like these, and the ones we had from the Texas show are terrific for those outside the US.

#105 9 years ago

price-police-2.jpgprice-police-2.jpg

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Thanks for sharing , the only downside to this, is the shitty camera used to document this visit ..

Seems the last time I was checking around here you were going to take some time off from the hobby, and stop being such a dick.

.....guess your time reflecting on what's important in life was short lived.

#107 9 years ago

hurry up and bring it to australia

#108 9 years ago

Maybe, instead of coming out and saying how crazy $8K is for a machine, you should have asked how the market can justify $8K for a machine? It might have seemed less newb-preachy.

Quoted from FishPharm:

Ok, I apologize. Those were honest questions, I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I'm new to pins so when people were saying that 8k is a great deal on a pinball it was just shocking to me. For some reason I thought that 17 years of innovation and technology would allow these machines to be made for less but I do understand what you guys are saying.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Also if this response was supposed to be an "apology",

It was not intended as an apology! Thanks for blowing this way out of proportion .

Quoted from Firebaall:

Seems the last time I was checking around here you were going to take some time off from the hobby, and stop being such a dick.

My 22 year old son died in January and I was really emotional . I was not being a dick and only stated the obvious. You must not read too many Pinside post if you are offended by me calling someones pictures shitty because they are blurry.

You guys calling my names because of a misunderstood post make you no better then what you accuse me of !!

Face it, you guys like drama and took my post and added to it . Nice going !!

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

guess your time reflecting on what's important in life was short lived.

This is so wrong !

#111 9 years ago

Let's get back on topic.. what shitty camera was used to take the photos?

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Let's get back on topic.. what shitty camera was used to take the photos?

Really, Joe?

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Really, Joe?

Sarcasm...sorry.

It's amazing how sensitive people are here.. I looked at the pics with great interest too and that was the only negative that was disappointing to me.. and honestly it happens to me too. As you get older it's hard to see blur in a pic especially on a small phone. Then you get home to transfer them and it's a big time downer...

Thats how I viewed Jims post but everyone is curled up like a cobra to strike at anyone that may say something remotely negative without even considering context..

Shame.

#114 9 years ago

Thanks so much for the pictures and the tour. I don't think I've ever seen pics of the Churchill facility, that was really interesting!

#115 9 years ago

popcorn-sock-1.gifpopcorn-sock-1.gif

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Sarcasm...sorry.

It's amazing how sensitive people are here.. I looked at the pics with great interest too and that was the only negative that was disappointing to me.. and honestly it happens to me too. As you get older it's hard to see blur in a pic especially on a small phone. Then you get home to transfer them and it's a big time downer...

Thats how I viewed Jims post but everyone is curled up like a cobra to strike at anyone that may say something remotely negative without even considering context..

Shame.

I totally get that Joe and people will feed off of one simple word and will chop your head off for it . I thought we were adults and could handle the word shitty, obviously some have a big problem with that word,then add to the bullshit by being outraged that someone had the audacity to state the obvious and use a adjective that people took the wrong way!

Whatever .

#117 9 years ago

I don't know, that little board in the backbox to power that whole big machine?

Seriously, looks very nice. Congrats on the team for putting this together. I am really interested in future features of the new platform.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

So I've got this iPhone...it's super small...but it can do everything a giant computer can! It's CRAAAAAZY!

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So I've got this iPhone...it's super small...but it can do everything a giant computer can! It's CRAAAAAZY!

Its hard to accept, but so true. It feels like your getting more for your money when there's a bunch of boards and crap back there. PPS should put some dummy boards there just for impact and of course nostalgia.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and will you be buying all of us the hardware to meet that new minimum standard?

Im not serious. Welcome to the internet.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

.....guess your time reflecting on what's important in life was short lived.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, but an iPhone only has one button on the front of it....

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Its hard to accept, but so true. It feels like your getting more for your money when there's a bunch of boards and crap back there. PPS should put some dummy boards there just for impact and of course nostalgia.

Someone should come up with resin dummy WPC-95 boards as a facade...

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

It's the same thing with the new Namco Pac-Man/Galaga games. The board inside is the size of a phone. From a hobbyist perspective it's a bit weird, but normal people playing the games never knew/know what's on the inside. It's what's on the outside that matters. When the game is fired up and playing, none of us will remotely care.

#125 9 years ago

I suggested a big picture of a MM backbox boards stuck there and then the little board in the center.

LTG : )™

#126 9 years ago

Not power it. Run it. Which it more than does.

Power is coming from the row of bridge rectifiers on the left rear side of the bottom of the cabinet.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I suggested a big picture of a MM backbox boards stuck there and then the little board in the center.

you're laughing now but i bet someone will mod their's that way.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

you're laughing now but i bet someone will mod their's that way.

I was serious, I thought it would look neat. Better than a big empty head.

Disclaimer : You are right, someone will come up with something for the back wall of the head.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I was serious, I thought it would look neat. Better than a big empty head.
Disclaimer : You are right, someone will come up with something for the back wall of the head.

How about a mini diorama complete with a catapult, princesses and a dragon...

#130 9 years ago

Oh geez. I come back to this thread to see if there's any new info, and I see all these negative comments about the pictures that were uploaded.

Fellow pinsiders, OP was not under any obligation to send anything at all. I can understand the complaints if he's a paid journalist but he's not (at least I don't think he is). He took his time to write a thorough writeup that I found to be very informative and enlightening.

Thank you again for such a great writeup.

#131 9 years ago

Good grief! Everyone is grateful for the info and the pics. Being happy to get the info and wishing there were better photos is not crapping on anything.
Let it go.
Awesome tour. Thanks!

#132 9 years ago

Thanks to the OP for the write up and pictures. I'm not in on the MMr but was interesting to read about the experience.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from BooyaNY:

Oh geez. I come back to this thread to see if there's any new info, and I see all these negative comments about the pictures that were uploaded.
Fellow pinsiders, OP was not under any obligation to send anything at all. I can understand the complaints if he's a paid journalist but he's not (at least I don't think he is). He took his time to write a thorough writeup that I found to be very informative and enlightening.
Thank you again for such a great writeup.

You still don't get it. Oh well.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from BooyaNY:

all these negative comments about the pictures that were uploaded.

Um, no. It was more like a certain repeat individual spewing out more BS negativity just to have something to nitpick at. This has got to be the most incredibly lenient forum on the web. You can attack, disrespect, gripe, price police, etc and still not get banned for it.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Good grief! Everyone is grateful for the info and the pics. Being happy to get the info and wishing there were better photos is not crapping on anything.
Let it go.
Awesome tour. Thanks!

Yep !!

Quoted from JoeJet:

You still don't get it. Oh well.

You got it !

#136 9 years ago

I don't see why they would ever lower the price. Unless they stop sellig them at $7995. If machines keep selling for that, companies will charge it.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I don't see why they would ever lower the price. Unless they stop sellig them at $7995. If machines keep selling for that, companies will charge it.

We have to remember our little hobby bubble is a fraction of what this type of market really is. Lets take a look at the Namco remakes. The brand new Namco Pac-Man machines are around $3000. You can get an original Pac-Man for like $300. To "us"...hobbyists...the NIB price is crazy...however, they're clearly selling! At least with MMr, it's selling for less than what originals cost!

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Um, no. It was more like a certain repeat individual spewing out more BS negativity just to have something to nitpick at. This has got to be the most incredibly lenient forum on the web. You can attack, disrespect, gripe, price police, etc and still not get banned for it.

Yep. You're still here.

#139 9 years ago

Thanks to the OP for the great story! I'm AMAZED there was only the 4 of you!

#140 9 years ago

we were going to print a decal of the WPC-95 boards and stick them to the back as wallpaper

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we were going to print a decal of the WPC-95 boards and stick them to the back as wallpaper

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Don't forget the weights mod to make sure it weighs the exact same in the exact same areas as the original...

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Don't forget the weights mod to make sure it weighs the exact same in the exact same areas as the original...

Plywood vs MDF bottom may take care of that! LOL!

#144 9 years ago

Hey Lloyd! pick me up a unscreened LOTR pf when you make your trip out there!

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Plywood vs MDF bottom may take care of that! LOL!

Oh yeah!

4x8 sheet of plywood = 60 lbs
4x8 sheet of MDF = 97 lbs

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We have to remember our little hobby bubble is a fraction of what this type of market really is. Lets take a look at the Namco remakes. The brand new Namco Pac-Man machines are around $3000. You can get an original Pac-Man for like $300. To "us"...hobbyists...the NIB price is crazy...however, they're clearly selling! At least with MMr, it's selling for less than what originals cost!

Not really. To compare you'd have to say a fully restored Pac-Man which would be around $1500. Then factor in that it includes Galaga, a larger screen and warranty and there is more perceived value. Could probably get $2000 for a restored one with both games.

The best thing about the MM remake is the money it sucked out of the market causing prices to drop. I hope it continues.

#147 9 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures of the factory. Very interesting how everything is built. Does anybody know why Chicago Gaming doesn't make the repo playfields instead of others like highclasspins (Mirco) since they made the original ones for bally/williams?

#148 9 years ago

Thanks a ton for the tour into what you just don't see everyday.

#149 9 years ago

I am not a huge fan of MM, but it was impressive to me to see pics of the remake. I was originally hoping to see a AFMr to drop the prices of the originals, but I will seriously consider a remake if these MMrs turn out as good as they look here. I may even have to start playing some MM to see if I like it. I wasn't too impressed with AFM until I played it a ton at PAGG this weekend. Now it is on my short list. The possibility of the 2.0 versions may be enough to put me over the top.

Thanks for the write up. I am definitely paying attention now.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

More wood as we leave the screening room. Note, the naphtha smell is so strong, my sinuses are stinging. Have no idea how someone works in there for hours.

apocalypse-now-30.pngapocalypse-now-30.png

I love the smell of naphtha in the morning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-home-run-my-visit-to-chicago-gaming-on-517/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.