(Topic ID: 198247)

MMR: Hate launch buttons. Can I replace with a plunger?

By crwjumper

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I really dislike "launch buttons" and am buying a Medieval Madness Remake LE. I was wondering if its possible to replace the launch button with a traditional plunger. Has anyone ever done this? Does it leave a gaping hole in the decal? I would keep the original button to put back on when (if) i eventually sell it.
Thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I really dislike "launch buttons" and am buying a Medieval Madness Remake LE. I was wondering if its possible to replace the launch button with a traditional plunger. Has anyone ever done this? Does it leave a gaping hole in the decal? I would keep the original button to put back on when (if) i eventually sell it.
Thanks in advance!

Not sure it is possible, but how would you use troll bombs if you replaced the button?

#3 6 years ago

You would have to manually launch balls during multiball...

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Not sure it is possible, but how would you use troll bombs if you replaced the button?

I didn't know about "Troll Bombs" Please enlighten me . . . and yes i'm going to read the manual but my power just came back on after a week so I have had minimal access to Pinside. I live in Florida and was lucky enough to be in Irma's path. No damage to home or pins thankfully.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I didn't know about "Troll Bombs" Please enlighten me

It's the same thing as the martian bombs on Attack from Mars. Basically, when the Trolls are activated, if you have any bombs, you can hit the launch button to activate a bomb as a freebee hit to destroy a troll. Same goes for the martians. It's great. If you're just one dangerous shot from completing the mode, you slap the launch button, and it awards the shot for the mode completion.

Honestly, don't replace the launch button. The software is designed around it. You'd be drilling holes in the cabinet, and doing all sorts of other unsavory things. It's already integrated to auto launch things, act as a bomb button, and the "super skill shot" is integrated into the button as well.

#6 6 years ago

Well I didn't realize that it had functions other than launching the ball. I guess I'll keep it then!
I've been searching for a MM rulesheet thread but can't find one. Has nobody ever created one for Pinside's top ranked game?!?!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Has nobody ever created one for Pinside's top ranked game?

IPDB.org happens to have one for their fifth highest ranked game, which may be helpful: http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/4032/medbowen.htm

#8 6 years ago

I yi yi, SMH

#9 6 years ago

Change it to a gun handle!

#10 6 years ago

Not only troll bombs, but launching the catapult.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I live in Florida and was lucky enough to be in Irma's path. No damage to home or pins thankfully.

That's because you live in Safety Harbor.

What the previous gentlemen said: Don't even consider replacing it. It's a huge part of the game and not easily replaceable. I can't imagine IJ without the gun...

#12 6 years ago

Put a autolaunch mech in and route in a manual plunger in the cab. Probably need to alter the playfield slightly as well.

However I bet you would devalue your mmr doing this so I wouldnt

#13 6 years ago

You could mount a very shortplunger outside the cabinet that you pull and once released it presses the launch button... .

#14 6 years ago

Also holding the left flipper button when launching sets up the Super Skill Shot!!!

#15 6 years ago

Crossbow grip mod?

#16 6 years ago

Honestly, I feel the same. I've often wondered if I could do this with my I500. Just thought it would be to much work/not even possible. Thanks for confirming this.
Why do some of pinballs greatest machines have that stupid launch button anyway? Takes away from the "whole experience". Gimmie a plunger or gimmie Death (the band)!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Not only troll bombs, but launching the catapult.

You can launch the catapult by pressing both flipper buttons at the same time. That is how I have always done it.

#18 6 years ago

This is a terrible idea...

#19 6 years ago

South Park uses a dual launch system. Has the plunger routed through the auto fire forks. It could be done if your relocated the button below or beside the plunger, but as mentioned you're drilling holes and will most likely kill the resale value. .

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Why do some of pinballs greatest machines have that stupid launch button anyway? Takes away from the "whole experience". Gimmie a plunger or gimmie Death (the band)!

Cost cutting, The plunger was removed so the dragon on the ramp could stay.

#21 6 years ago

It's just not needed on this design. What's the point of a plunger, really? The skill shot. MM doesn't have any reason for a light plunge. The skill shot is a full plunge to the upper lanes, and getting the ball through the blinking lane. Or, you can choose the Super Skill Shot, which full plunges around the orbit so you can hit the lit shots before they time out. There's no reason to ever light plunge, so - no reason for a plunger.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There's no reason to ever light plunge, so - no reason for a plunger.

Really? No ball save, down 4 million, player 4, ball three - castle is open for 4 million point (2nd collect)?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Really? No ball save, down 4 million, player 4, ball three - castle is open for 4 million point (2nd collect)?

OK, you convinced me - the designers were nuts and I will mangle and destroy my game tonight to put a plunger on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 64.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-hate-launch-buttons-can-i-replace-with-a-plunger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.