Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ReplayRyan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Was playing tonight, and out of nowhere, the right flipper started to jam in the up position. It would eventually go back down, but it kept taking longer and longer.

I went under the playfield, and I noticed a bolt was lose that was holding the flipper mechanism in place. I found it and put it back in, but I noticed that there was a lot of space and play on the right one, and nothing on the left. The video below shows this.

I tried wedging something under it, and it does reduce the jamming, but the flipper is still slower and weaker than the left one.

Does anyone know what needs to be done to fix this? Do I need a replacement from CGC on this part?

Thank you

#2 2 years ago

Are the bolts on the coil stop tight?

#3 2 years ago

From watching your vids I can see the right return spring is stretched more than the left flipper return spring and your missing the wavy tension spring that goes in between rear bracket and coil,to take up the slack,from the vids anyway. You may need to look deeper.
-Mike

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

From watching your vids I can see the right return spring is stretched more than the left flipper and your missing the wavy tension spring that goes in between rear bracket and coil,to take up the slack,from the vids anyway. You may need to look deeper.
-Mike

Glad u cld see something .... i cldnt see much of anything due to the quality lol.

#5 2 years ago

It needs a deeper look and comparison to each side.
-Mike

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

From watching your vids I can see the right return spring is stretched more than the left flipper return spring and your missing the wavy tension spring that goes in between rear bracket and coil,to take up the slack,from the vids anyway. You may need to look deeper.
-Mike

Any way you can provide a photo to show what you're referring to?

I'm a noob at all of this.

Thanks

#7 2 years ago

I'm at work now...but if you look at the flipper assemblies you'll see a return spring on the outside of bracket that gives tension to return flipper down,also if you undo the two screws at rear of coil (coil stop bracket) and compare each side I'll bet the right does not match the left,missing the spacer washer? Dropped in cabinet? Look deeper into this before you ruin something.
-Mike

#8 2 years ago

I would remove the coil stop by removing the two allen head screws. Look at the coil sleeve and the plunger to see if there is any damage. If not then I would put it back together ensuring that the coil sleeve end fits through the bracket on the end away from the coil stop. You clearly have to much play there. Then install the coil stop and ensure that its very tight. The coil should only move the same amount as the left one. IIRC there is no washer on this game. Manually move the flipper as you did in the video and ensure that the end of stroke switch gap is correct and not actuating to soon.
My guess is that the coil sleeve is preventing the coil stop from pushing the coil all the way up and causing a slight bind.

#9 2 years ago

If you liked the tech that came out yesterday, I would have him back. I doubt you need parts, but something isn't adjusted right when the screw fell out. Sorry this happened. It shouldn't have happened on this new of a game, but sometimes shipping by freight vibrates the game and loose screws can be commonplace. If you need a part, CGC will help you out.

Marc

#10 2 years ago

Lighting sucks, but hopefully this gives better shows the problem:

#11 2 years ago

It would help if you set up a drop light or flashlight so the video is not dark. In any case you can clearly see the coil bouncing around in a loose bracket.
-Mike

#12 2 years ago

This is a mechanical issue, not an electrical one. You're binding. This should be a very simple fix. If anyone in Toronto can come over that has ever worked on a flipper, you'll be setup very quickly. These are 100% Williams-style flippers.

Marc

#13 2 years ago

I'm going to get a tech from one of the local clubs to come by and have a look. I've exhausted my newbie knowledge, so I'll leave it up to the pros on this one.

Thank you all for the help

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm going to get a tech from one of the local clubs to come by and have a look. I've exhausted my newbie knowledge, so I'll leave it up to the pros on this one.
Thank you all for the help

When they come over, have them help you fix it. This is a great first repair and you'll be much better off with the confidence and experience doing this.

Marc

#15 2 years ago

It's weird, when the right flipper gets stuck in the up position, I can hit the left flipper, and that bring the right flipper back down to neutral.

Weird! Anyone know why this happens?

#16 2 years ago

Its binding up bc of the extra movement in the coil .....

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

That is from the vibration and clunk of the flipper that vibrates the other flipper free.
-Mike

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

It's weird, when the right flipper gets stuck in the up position, I can hit the left flipper, and that bring the right flipper back down to neutral.

You need to tear that flipper down and see where it is binding, I bet the coil sleeve is either damaged or missing. Should be an easy fix

#19 2 years ago

Ugh, I came here hoping to read some good MMR drama. Just a simple adjustment problem though.

Here is your problem: The flipper coil has a nylon sleeve inside of it (which has the flipper plunger moving inside of it) which extends out from the coil and just barely through the bracket that holds the coil in place. Your bracket (or perhaps the other end, the coil stop bracket) is loose/misaligned such that your sleeve is not going through the bracket, which means your flipper plunger is rubbing and catching against the bracket each time it moves instead of smoothly through the end of the sleeve. The sleeve will only extend through the bracket (barely) if the coil is firmly sandwhiched between the two brackets, as on your other flipper assembly.

The end bracket is held in place with 2 Philips screws. Loosen those screws, then see if you can reposition it closer towards the coil, then re-tighten firmly. If not, loosen the bracket on the other side of the coil (should be 2 Allen head screws) and see if you can push it in more towards the coil.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Wanted
8,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Falling Waters, WV

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside