(Topic ID: 296712)

MMr first run flippers feel weaker than my MBr and AFMr...

By Richard-NBA-SF2

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello!
I have the 3 CGC remakes, MB and AFM I got NIB - they have about 500 plays each.

I just got a 2017 MM with about 2000 plays, and I find the flippers much different on the MM - they are just a little weaker or less quick to respond maybe... I cranked up the flipper strength on my MM to max and that helped but still the flippers on my AFM and MB feel much stronger at the default setting.

I would like to have my MM flippers feel as strong, any suggestions or should I just live with it?

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Hello!
I have the 3 CGC remakes, MB and AFM I got NIB - they have about 500 plays each.
I just got a 2017 MM with about 2000 plays, and I find the flippers much different on the MM - they are just a little weaker or less quick to respond maybe... I cranked up the flipper strength on my MM to max and that helped but still the flippers on my AFM and MB feel much stronger at the default setting.
I would like to have my MM flippers feel as strong, any suggestions or should I just live with it?
Thanks!

We have all 3 remakes all bought new. The flippers on MMr definitely feel weaker than AFMr and MBr. We have not done anything about it. We put it down to the fact that AFMr and MBr have solenoid driver board in the back box and not on the large playfield PCB.

FYI game count and purchase dates

MMr 1100 games purchased 2018
AFMr 2000 games purchased 2017
MBr 700 games purchased 2019

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We have all 3 remakes all bought new. The flippers on MMr definitely feel weaker than AFMr and MBr. We have not done anything about it. We put it down to the fact that AFMr and MBr have solenoid driver board in the back box and not on the large playfield PCB.
FYI game count and purchase dates
MMr 1100 games purchased 2018
AFMr 2000 games purchased 2017
MBr 700 games purchased 2019

Ok! So you think the newer run of MMr (the SE and the Royal) would feel better? Or not

#4 2 years ago

Any chance MB and AFM are freshly waxed and MM isn't? That makes a huge difference in feel. I almost turned my MBr flippers down after the most recent wax.

#5 2 years ago

Definitely a cleaning and waxing will make the flippers feel stronger because the ball will fly around faster. I find a freshly waxed game more fun because the ball gets so wild.

The mechs are going to be identical between a first run and a later run game. It's most likely something mechanical, like the flippers being 1mm too high or low and having too much play or drag. Move the flipper with your hands and compare your games. Does the MMR feel different?

I recently replaced some flippers on a game and thought I had done a fine job but later realized there was major drag on the right flipper and had to re-do it.

Also it's possible the additional 1500 plays have added enough coil dust to the sleeves to make a noticeable difference.

#6 2 years ago

Ok! So you think the newer run of MMr (the SE and the Royal) would feel better? Or not

I am not sure, we have not been lucky enough to try one out yet!

#7 2 years ago

Might want to rebuild all the flipper wear parts on your MMr. 2000 plays really isn't that much for a set of flippers, yet it would be the first thing I would try. I have around 21,000 plays on my MMr and it is on its 4th flipper rebuild. Flippers seem just as strong to me at default settings as they are on both AFMr and MBr, both of which have under 10,000 plays. My MMr is a very early 2015 build. I remember making some physical flipper adjustments right after I bought it NIB because there was some slight binding. No flipper troubles since.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Might want to rebuild all the flipper wear parts on your MMr. 2000 plays really isn't that much for a set of flippers, yet it would be the first thing I would try. I have around 21,000 plays on my MMr and it is on its 4th flipper rebuild. Flippers seem just as strong to me at default settings as they are on both AFMr and MBr, both of which have under 10,000 plays. My MMr is a very early 2015 build. I remember making some physical flipper adjustments right after I bought it NIB because there was some slight binding. No flipper troubles since.

Ok! Thanks!
Where is the best place to get the parts for this?
Thanks!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Ok! What physical adjustments? Bending the piece of metal behind the flipper coil?
Thanks!!

#10 2 years ago

Ok! What physical adjustments? Bending the piece of metal behind the flipper coil?
Thanks!!

IIRC, and it has been since 2015, the binding had more to do with not enough space between the flipper crank and the bottom of the nylon bushing. Of course, what I dealt with years ago may have nothing to do with your flipper issue. I would suggest making a physical inspection and see where something is not working as smoothly as it should. FlippyD provided some good suggestions above. By the way, I am sure I didn't bend the coil stop--piece of metal behind the coil. Not sure why you would want to bend the coil stop. You might want to post some pics in here of your flipper mechs so we can see if there is anything that might look wrong.

In your original post you mention two different problems, weakness and slower response time. If your response time is off, check the gap on your cabinet switches to see when the switch engages and the flipper responds. Are there some shots that you simply can't make? MM is a very forgiving game with lots of easy shots and I can't think of any shots that can't be hit from a dead cradle.

Parts are available from Pinball Resource.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 45.00
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-first-run-flippers-feel-weaker-than-my-mbr-and-afmr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.