Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    download_(2)_(resized).jpg
    colordmd_(resized).png
    image_1.jpg
    Peter_Griffin_crack_pipe.jpg
    beer.png
    beer_mask.png
    whole_castle.png
    fire2.png
    fire1.png
    castle.png
    dragon.png
    mask.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.11_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.55_PM.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 8 years ago

Wow. That's ... wow.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

I guess this sets the bar for future versions of color-DMD as well!

No, it really doesn't. ColorDMD just applies color to the existing display - it doesn't sub in new assets as this (apparently) does.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Funny how the fonts are still low res dots. Maybe that's to keep a touch of the old school flavor with it.

It is still a work in progress - I would assume they can replace the fonts with higher res versions just as they've done with the art so far. Maybe they won't, though.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Simply amazing!
    One has to wonder if ColorDMD will ever quadruple their dots and make 16-bit looking frames. I don't see why not. They have already pulled blood from stone, and their platform surely can handle it. It would just take me, methinks.

This isn't just 4x dots - this is all re-drawn artwork that was done with 4x the dots. Rarehero's screenshots make that pretty clear.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

The video says "original artwork".

They re-created all the frames of the original artwork at a higher resolution. It's not as if WMS had this stuff laying around at a higher resolution they could just use. The game company CGC hired basically used the original dots as a base to re-create every frame.

Edit: Funny aside, I've been considering doing the same thing with CCC for some time, I just don't have the artistic skills to pull off the redraw at a level I'm happy with, nor do I know any artists that would do it for free

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Kickstarter project! I'm in!

Ha, right.

#96 8 years ago

Even more screen grabs. Because: Glorious

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.32.57_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.32.57_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.33.18_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.33.18_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.32.17_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.32.17_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.55_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.55_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.11_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.11_PM.png

#127 8 years ago

This upgraded color is made possible by the fact that it's running the original game through an emulator -- if I understand things correctly. I have to admit, I'm still guessing at the exact details of how this works, but ...

The CFC colorization is actually injecting new assets on the fly, BEFORE the compositing process for display. Things like dynamic text and scores still work because those are left as is and rendered (layered in, processed with masking and such) the same way they normally would but combined with the new assets instead of the old ones.

So just as an example, the dragon breathing fire in front of the castle & princess - that's multiple parts.
    - The castle layer
    castle.pngcastle.png

- The dragon layer
    dragon.pngdragon.png

- A mask for revealing the text layer
    mask.pngmask.png

- The text layer itself
    - And the maiden in the window (which I didn't dig around for)

The CGC process can, apparently, replace those items on the fly before they're rendered into the final image - which is a much more straight forward approach than what colorDMD does (recognizing frames after the fact and applying a color filter).

And since I have them from digging around - another example - the beer mug clank in front of the burning castle:
    - beer mugs
    beer.pngbeer.png

- mask (to keep the black parts of the beer layer from being transparent)
    beer_mask.pngbeer_mask.png

- castle
    whole_castle.pngwhole_castle.png

And I'm not sure how the stuff is being re-drawn, but individual frames in the original don't actually re-draw the whole scene every time, for example on the castle, only the bits with fire change in subsequent frames, so it may be that the redrawn bits are using the same setup:

fire2.pngfire2.png
    fire1.pngfire1.png

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Great explanation epthegeek! Did you use Pinball Browser for this?

Different tool (WPCEdit) that allows you to view the DMD frames in WMS Roms - but not dynamically replace things like pinball browser does (so the 'edit' is actually a little misleading)

#151 8 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I think it looks great, but I can't help but wonder...
    Why not try full-fledged cell drawn animation? If they are going to redo the dots anyways, make it REALLY pop with animation that looks hand-drawn. Even better...add the option to use either style.

Maybe they don't have the horsepower to push more than 4x resolution and plain drawn art wouldn't look as nice that low?

3 weeks later
    #248 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Has the screen tearing issue been fixed with this?

That's apparently already dealt with in a software update. I think Rick mentioned new games coming off the line now have it in place (not 100% sure on that) but it hasn't been released as an update for existing games yet.

5 months later
    #285 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rat:

I'm surprised someone has not used the "leaked" update to enable the full color that is included. It has been too long with too little I don't want to pay now, this insistence that there must be just one update without explaining why is bullshit.

Probably because they're going to have to mail out micro SD cards or some crap and don't want to have to do that more than once.

1 month later
    #308 8 years ago

What do I have to do to get on the diffuser train? File a support ticket?

#312 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Please do so.
    LTG : )

Done. I think. I'm just guessing it's through the support page at CGC -- haven't actually done this before now.

#314 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

the argument it's caused by LEDs being too bright is crap. This is just a bandaid to try to minimize the effect.

Yeah, Metallik posted some pretty damning pictures of his original MM with the brightest LED he could find behind the inserts - still black as night. The ink is just bad on the MMR playfields.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-color-dmd-sneak-peek?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.