Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    download_(2)_(resized).jpg
    colordmd_(resized).png
    image_1.jpg
    Peter_Griffin_crack_pipe.jpg
    beer.png
    beer_mask.png
    whole_castle.png
    fire2.png
    fire1.png
    castle.png
    dragon.png
    mask.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.11_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.55_PM.png
    There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from hlazzer:

Many people do, many don't. It depends on who the buyer is. I love how this looks, but I still like the original better (actually colorDMD) since it retains the original art. Yes, my MM colorDMD is not set to upscale, 8bit, squares, etc even though its available.

Well, the good thing about this upgrade is you can choose to have original dots or the new art! Sure, you won't have ColorDMD's colorizations ....but the new art is so sweet that doesn't bother me.

(I still love ya Randy!)

#52 8 years ago

Well that's pretty darn snazzy!

#53 8 years ago

Competition drives innovation and this is by far the best dot colorization work I've ever seen... Congrats to the guys working on this effort. Truly stunning.

#54 8 years ago

Wow, that's awesome sauce (now apparently an official word in Oxford dictionary). Now hopefully I get my MMr soon, and yes I'd pay some for this upgrade

#55 8 years ago

Knocked the cover off the ball on this one Doug. Still hoping it's discounted significantly for LE buyers.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito:

Knocked the cover off the ball on this one Doug. Still hoping it's discounted significantly for LE buyers.

This is a great idea! If you plan on charging "x", why not give LE buyers a 50% discount for a limited time. It would, a. Expedite people purchasing this and b. Show a sign of good faith.

I assume this will eventually be available for regular MM's through a LCD mod? There is so much money to be made on this.....wow!

#57 8 years ago

This is very exciting! Ordered my game at expo, can't wait to get it!

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Teekee just shit his pants.

Teekee, JFH, and O-Din are in the war room right now planning their next move. Let's take a sneak peek.

TeeKee: ...hmm....
    JFH: ...hmm...*scratches head*
    O-Din:...hmm...I'll dig up a pic of peter noone and say "Noone wanted upgraded graphics". What do you guys think??

All in fun guys. All in fun.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

I was thinking Apple II to the Commodore Amiga...

There is a "Defender of the Crown" quality about it .

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito:

Teekee, JFH, and O-Din are in the war room right now planning their next move. Let's take a sneak peek.
    O-Din:...hmm...I'll dig up a pic of peter noone and say "Noone wanted upgraded graphics". What do you guys think??

O-Din deactivated!!!! Whut the!?

#61 8 years ago

Looks great! Not too much detail. Still retro.

#62 8 years ago

Pretty sure the whole "back-end royalty" guarantees it's not going to be free for anyone .. Hard to get paid a royalty on free.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

O-Din deactivated!!!! Whut the!?

I saw that. Weird.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from hlazzer:

by the way it looks fantastic, but this is just one more step away from the "it will look and play just like the original" claims. I am not saying this is a bad thing (before people pull out the pitchforks)

What's your point? Of course any colorization effort (including ColorDMD) is a step away from the original. But it's an optional step. Those that love an original look can choose stainless siderails and not purchase this color upgrade, and are in no way hurt by the fact that others can customize their pins in new and very cool ways.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

Pretty sure the whole "back-end royalty" guarantees it's not going to be free for anyone .. Hard to get paid a royalty on free.

It's weird to think of royalties on only a potential customer pool of 1000 machines. Low six figure sales potential. I don't see the math here. Makes more sense big picture wise looking at the future sales potential for future remakes and just to eat the cost.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Simply amazing!
    One has to wonder if ColorDMD will ever quadruple their dots and make 16-bit looking frames. I don't see why not. They have already pulled blood from stone, and their platform surely can handle it. It would just take me, methinks.

Yeah, that would be kickass! Totally. No one would ever bitch about the Colordmd price point again!

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

I hope they can figure a way to factor the royalties into MMr machine sales instead of software update sales. I think it will benefit all parties.

#68 8 years ago

So it is ummmmm.... Free to LE owners, right.

Ps. I call bs that no MMRLE $ were used on it.
    You have 1 revenue line, it goes in the bank and it gets used on business.

No excuses, to justify charging for and keeping more margins on the MMRLE high price point & giant volume multiplier.

It's just greed & ok to have the balls to say it.

Think it's about time to cancel my day-1 order that still hasn't arrived 2 years later and absolutely no ETA for it

#69 8 years ago

Amazing I can't wait for it to be released.

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

No one would ever bitch about the Colordmd price point again!

Care to make a wager?

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Care to make a wager?

No way. I'd lose. Bitching is a part of this hobby.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

So it is ummmmm.... Free to LE owners, right.
    Ps. I call bs that no MMRLE $ were used on it.
    You have 1 revenue line, it goes in the bank and it gets used on business.
    No excuses, to justify charging for and keeping more margins on the MMRLE high price point & giant volume multiplier.
    It's just greed & ok to have the balls to say it.
    Think it's about time to cancel my day-1 order that still hasn't arrived 2 years later and absolutely no ETA for it

I'm sorry Labnip.

I cancelled years ago. Never regretted it. I'll pick up a HUO MMRLE later.

#73 8 years ago

Definitely cool! Much more impressive than the real wood bottom! Get your check books out… but it looks to be worth the extra cost.

I think I want to be added to the waiting list!

#74 8 years ago

Wow amazing now im really mad I didn't buy the mmr I just had a chance to ugh.

#75 8 years ago

OK. Who's gonna be the first to mod this so it will work in an original MM?

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Edit: Funny aside, I've been considering doing the same thing with CCC for some time, I just don't have the artistic skills to pull off the redraw at a level I'm happy with, nor do I know any artists that would do it for free

Kickstarter project! I'm in!

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

OK. Who's gonna be the first to mod this so it will work in an original MM?

How would that even be possible? The code/art is running off the computer thingamabob that runs the MMr emulation. If you could do full on replacement frames using WPC, I think ColorDMD would have taken a few liberties with art by now. But who knows, I know nothing about programming....lets see what you mad scientist geniuses cook up!

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

There is a "Defender of the Crown" quality about it .

Took the words right out of my mouth...

(I miss Cinemaware)

#79 8 years ago

Holly crap they impressed Teekee. I never thought I'd live to see the day.

#80 8 years ago

Is that Jay and Silent Bob to the far left?

*credit to RareHero for pic screen grab I just cut and pasted.

445144-i.png445144-i.png

#81 8 years ago

*let us pray*

Dear Lord,

We come to you right now with a request. Please soften the hearts of CGC and move them to give this upgrade to us free or at a low cost ($79.99)...

Amen.

#82 8 years ago

More screengrabs:

Dragon_Breath.pngDragon_Breath.png

Joust.pngJoust.png

MB_Intro_Castle.pngMB_Intro_Castle.png

Princess.pngPrincess.png

Replay.pngReplay.png

#83 8 years ago

Just the shading and illustrations are top notch. From a graphic design element - the decision to match the colored original score titles/numbers was EXACTLY the right choice. Well done.

Here's hoping you can switch back and forth between the old and new in the settings!

#84 8 years ago

Holy cow...that is beautiful work!

#85 8 years ago

My vote: free for le buyers.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

And in other news of the day...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito:

You've clearly not been paying attention to my support of MMR since the beginning. My issues are with Rick and communication, not MMR.

Very pleased to see Doug come here with an update; perhaps he now understands the importance of keeping the community informed and/or getting Rick out of the spokesman role for the project.

The colorization looks terrific -- I'd love to see CGC leverage the asset by making it available in some way for MM owners too.

#88 8 years ago

That castle multiball scene looks so legit. They all do but that one for me really shows how they used different colors and shading for a really cool effect.

#89 8 years ago

That is beautiful. Nice work!

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Incredible work! Here are a few before-after screengrabs, as the movie flies by pretty quickly!

Dragon_Before.png Dragon_After.png MM_before.png MM_after.png Mob_Before.png Mob_After.png Peasants_Before.png Peasants_After.png

Its like going from cga to a Amiga all over again. Everything else in comparison now looks like dog shit. Awesome.

#91 8 years ago

All good JFH. I actually like your opposing viewpoints at times. And sometimes I agree with you. But a lot of your comments do seem to come with a side helping of doubt on the system, the reliability of it, the viability of the project, and on and on and on. I just want to be excited about my game without worrying about all the negatives. Wouldn't you if you were sinking $8k+ into something? Let's not sidetrack this thread. I think you and I can both agree that these graphics are pretty damn legit.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Took the words right out of my mouth...
    (I miss Cinemaware)

HELL YEAH ON AMIGA. I miss them too Pete. # stooges and King of Chicago where epic.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

Very impressive indeed but its still just a display which is very very secondary in pinball. Nice though…

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Kickstarter project! I'm in!

Ha, right.

#95 8 years ago

Amiga Pinball Fantasies is what got me into pinball it was the first time I realized their were actually rules in pinball not just bating the ball around. Kings quest kicked ass also the only adventure game I ever liked MM always reminded me of it now more then ever.

#96 8 years ago

Even more screen grabs. Because: Glorious

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.32.57_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.32.57_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.33.18_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.33.18_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.32.17_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.32.17_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.55_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.55_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.11_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.11_PM.png

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito:

But a lot of your comments do seem to come with a side helping of doubt on the system, the reliability of it

I don't expect it to fail, but Rick and others claiming how reliable it is are just way to premature and have a tiny fraction of the data needed to make such a claim at this point compared to what we know about the reliability of the original.

Quoted from Pablito:

I just want to be excited about my game without worrying about all the negatives. Wouldn't you if you were sinking $8k+ into something?

Wearing rose colored glasses and blissfully ignoring anything that might taint the view is naive and rarely ends well. I was in on MMR since day 1 - yes I was excited, but also realistic.

Quoted from Pablito:

I think you and I can both agree that these graphics are pretty damn legit.

Absolutely. A wonderful improvement over the original, and the first improvement that is a significant difference maker between MM/MMR.

#98 8 years ago

That looks really great. I wonder why ColorDMD cannot aquire the license to remake DMD assests. They would have to before they did anything like this. Maybe that would step on CGC's toes but CGC is not making these animations for older machines which I would think would differentiate the two.

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

That looks really great. I wonder why ColorDMD cannot aquire the license to remake DMD assests. They would have to before they did anything like this. Maybe that would step on CGC's toes but CGC is not making these animations for older machines which I would think would differentiate the two.

1.) Can the ColorDMD technology even do it?

2.) Anyone can "color a coloring book". New art is expensive and time consuming. If ColorDMD attempted to do this level of work on every game, you'd see a fraction of the games supported & the cost go way up.

#100 8 years ago

Would have to keep this far away from the other pins with the colordmd... it will really make them look bad..

There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-color-dmd-sneak-peek/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.