New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 200196)

MMR Color Chip vs ColorDMD

By mamefan

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mamefan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6 (resized).jpg
MM_Peasants (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hi. I'm getting an MMR soon, and I also asked for a chip to make the standard DMD colorized for $350. The alternative is getting a DMD from colordmd.com, one of which I already have for Champion Pub ($415 shipped). Which should I get?

#2 3 years ago

The Color DMD from colordmd.com is only for use in the original MM and not MMR. Your MMR should already come with a color LCD display in it but in order to unlock the colored dots you need to order the kit from PPS.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from mamefan:

Hi. I'm getting an MMR soon, and I also asked for a chip to make the standard DMD colorized for $350. The alternative is getting a DMD from colordmd.com, one of which I already have for Champion Pub ($415 shipped). Which should I get?

You can't put a Color DMD in a MMr. Get the chip.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

The Color DMD from colordmd.com is only for use in the original MM and not MMR. Your MMR should already come with a color LCD display in it but in order to unlock the colored dots you need to order the kit from PPS.

Ahhh, thank you for preventing me from potentially making a buying mistake.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from mamefan:

Ahhh, thank you for preventing me from potentially making a buying mistake.

It wouldn't have been that bad of a mistake as you could have put it in your Champion Pub

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can't put a Color DMD in a MMr. Get the chip.

Thank you.

#7 3 years ago

I love ColorDMD, but the color dots on the remakes are just on another level.

MM_Peasants (resized).jpg

6 (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

It wouldn't have been that bad of a mistake as you could have put it in your Champion Pub
» YouTube video

I already have one in my CP. I was worried I'd be so used to that one that I wouldn't like what's going to be in MMR.

#9 3 years ago

No matter how often I see it, the MMR color chip always, always wows me. I love it.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from mamefan:

I already have one in my CP. I was worried I'd be so used to that one that I wouldn't like what's going to be in MMR.

Then you are in for a treat with the colored dots in MMR.

MM ColorDMD

MMR Color DMD

Congrats on your MMR purchase.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Then you are in for a treat with the colored dots in MMR.
MM ColorDMD
» YouTube video
MMR Color DMD
» YouTube video
Congrats on your MMR purchase.

Thank you. On my Champion Pub, I don't have dots. I use the default filled in look. I tried the dots and didn't like them much. The MMR dots do look much better than the ColorDMD dots.

1 month later
#12 3 years ago

Where is a good place with the best price online to buy the Color Chip for MMR?

1 week later
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

Where is a good place with the best price online to buy the Color Chip for MMR?

Correction edit: I got it for $400 from Cointaker. I remembered the price wrong due to other things I bought (shaker motor, mods, etc.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 45.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside