IMG_20160626_230502111_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_230345691_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_140339269_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
IMG_20160626_152250_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_151430396_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_151402506_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_140339269_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintechev.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

Awesome!

#4 7 years ago

I'll write up Mac install instructions on Sunday night unless someone beats me to it.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Well at least we finally have some progress.
I normally don't support piracy but after being led to believe colour was included with the le, in this case I will make an exception if someone cracks this thing.

That's super crappy of you. Don't be that guy.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Anything to make it easier would be great. I don't know how to do PC/Windows anything. Not sure why this isn't just a drag-and-drop situation like Stern code, ColorDMD code, etc.

It won't be drag and drop. You'll need to use dd on the command line or a GUI wrapper. Like this (I haven't tried this yet, but it should work in spirit):

http://www.plugpbx.org/?page_id=109

Be careful and pick the right disk!

Marc

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from WIKED:

Glad you found a mac version for that. Hopefully it all works.

It's just a wrapper for DD. I will get instructions going for the command line way, but if that link works, folks should just use it. I can't test until tomorrow night. Anyone want to give it a go?

Marc

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Some of the more progressive software companies have don't even use DRM anymore. It forces the honest buyer to jump through hoops for it to work and the crackers always find a way regardless. There are a lot of articles out there that break down the financial cost of implementing DRM vs. the amount they project it will save them from piracy. Typically, its negligible; but hey, whatever makes Rick feel better.

Not Rick; CGC.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thanks Marc, but omg that might as well be Chinese. I'm afraid if I try that thing I'll blow up my computer. Whatever this process is - it eventually puts a file on the SD card, right? Why doesn't CGC just provide THAT file so we can just plop it on the card like every other update file in pinball land ?

Because they are using Beaglebone Black as their platform, and it needs a bootable SD card. Sadly, macOS doesn't have a nice UI version to make bootable SD cards like this.

You just need to download the app linked there: http://www.gingerbeardman.com/dd-gui/dd-gui-022.zip and launch it.

Set the source as the .img and the destination as the SD card. Make sure you pick the right destination

Marc

#36 7 years ago

OK. Sorry for making you guys beta test. I should do this first, but I am away from a Mac until tomorrow night. The first link is even older, tho it still might work just fine.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OK, tried the first one...I'm not comfortable enough with the language of it. I don't know what to enter in the "source" and "destination" boxes...I wish you could click on something and just select the file and destination like most programs.

Yeah, I will have to do directions with screenshots once I have it working.

Marc

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Sounds like it's similar to uploading new WOZ code to a flash drive on a Mac. Am I correct about that?

Never done a WOZ, I'll have to look into that.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Never done a WOZ, I'll have to look into that.

Yep. It's the same. They use ISO images, but this is the sam gist. Copy a .img to an external drive bit for bit.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Alrighty - Aurich helped me figure out the DD Gui thingie...it's writing the code to the SD card, but is taking FOREVER...40 min to go...hopefully it works when it's all said and done!

Let us know how that works out!!!

Marc

#56 7 years ago

For Mac, this looks like a nice UI app. It's built for Pi, but it will work fine for any .img to SD:

http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/raspberry-pi/macosx-apple-pi-baker/

It has been recently updated, so as long as it works well, I'll be recommending this method. Feel free to give it a shot if you're adventurous.

Marc

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Update didn't work for me. I followed the instructions and am fairly confident in my computer skills. I put the micro SD in the machine. Then powered it up. Black screen for a few minutes. It finally booted the game. But no update. And now my speakers are hissing. WTF?

I would try to burn the SD card again and trybthe update again. You should see the updating MMR screen while it's working. If you didn't, l something didn't work correctly.

Marc

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

need to go get a fing SD thingy for my Mac.
Like I said, CGC said there will be a chip or something that works as a key. There will be a charge for it but it is suppose to be discounted for LE buyers.

What Mac do you have? Most have SD card slots in the side of the laptops.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Yup trying that now. I think the issue is CGCs extremely, extremely slow download speed. Something must have got corrupted.

When you unzip it, it should have run a checksum. If you are paranoid, we can do a md5 checksum on the .img and compare it to be totally sure before you burn it.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I'm wondering what is going on?
Re downloaded. Unzipped. Win32disk imager transferred to micro SD.
Try to install I get a black screen for 3 min. Then the machine boots back to normal.
But has speaker static.

I would try a different SD card if you could.

Marc

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from matt_assassin:

When you put the update on the card, do you see all the folders and programs on it ? For me , had to uncompressed with winrar, then with win32disk, it took the medievalmadnessinstaller unto multiple folders and programs...

Good point. The download is compressed. You need to unpack it and only burn the .img

#98 7 years ago

Started a new thread for the Mac to keep it clean and on topic:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-on-mmr-20-on-macos-x

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I purchased a 8g card only to find out it was really 7.8g so back to walmart to get a 16g.
Seems 8 really isnt an 8.

Yup, binary 2-bit math is hard. You always format less than the overall capacity.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

So far I've tried 3 16 GB cards and 1 64gb card.
I give up. Now extremely pissed off. The long wait. Now this!

Sorry man. Contact CGC and see what they can do to help you.

Marc

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

CGC's webform has been up and down (mostly down) for many months, usually they are totally uncontactable and even if you can email them they will just ignore you anyway. I would not be surprised at all if they disabled the contact form this time on purpose just before releasing the update so they didn't have to put up with customers asking questions.

It's time to stop, rat. You're really insufferable at this point. The release of this code is a good thing. I think you need to take a break from MMR threads since you cannot seem to help yourself. There is no great conspiracy.

Marc

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Thanks but tried that too. Nothing is working. It just sits blank then boots normally.
So far 3 different SD cards WinZip, 7zip.
And also tried on my win7 and win10 computers.
Same results every time. NOTHING!

OK -- lets work through this. You're doing this from Windows, right? Which app are you using to burn the SD card?

Marc

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Win32diskimager.
I tried unpacking with WinZip. And 7zip.
Formatted in FAT32 before burning image.
All 16 GB or higher formatted class 10 SD cards.
Tried in win 7 and win 10 laptops.
Downloaded the Mmr2.0 file a few times and checked against each other. No corruption in download.
Game off insert SD. Turn on.
Every time it's the same result. It sits blank for a couple min. Then boots normally.
No update screen etc.
Like this for 2-3 min
Then this.
Then this.

You do not need to format the card. The .img is a bitmap for an entire OS and laying it down will format the image. Can you try a different program to burn the image? Other than that, I am not sure what could be going on here other than something funky with your bbb.

Marc

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

The first time I burned the image I just used a new blank SD card and used the disk manager to burn the image. So are there any programs you can suggest I use besides the one the instructions say to use. I honestly feel like I've tried everything that tech support would suggest.

I am not a Windows guy at all

Try this: http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/utilities/unetbootin-win.exe

Should also burn .img files.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Should it be an ISO, or floppy? That's the only things selectable

Bummer - that's not going to work.

PM me your address. I'll send you mine which I know works on Tuesday.

Marc

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

So for those of us who are on 2.0 - to goto 2.1 follow same upgrade instructions? Will win32 disk imager reformat the micro SD card, or do we have to do that manually?

It will be the same instructions, just a new image.

Marc

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just reformatted it using Disc Utility....was that the wrong thing to do?

You don't need to do anything. The disk image takes care of that.

#186 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

2.0.1 is up at GCG's website. Here's a direct link to the new image:

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/mmr/update2.0

The .img is named MedievalMadness201.img to make sure you have the right one. I'll get the macOS instructions updated to reflect the new filename, etc.

Marc

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Ugh! Version 2.0 updated perfectly. Just followed the same directions and 2.01 bricked our MMR. Getting the dreaded install software setup failure. Opened a ticket and I'm sure Lloyd will help resolve the issue. Has anyone other than the one other report on PS have an issue?

So, I need to think through this, but I wonder if I can help you fix it. The issue is that the beagle bone black isn't happy with the MMR boot image. I wonder if we can jump start it by putting a custom image on to make sure the beagle bone itself is working, and then side-load the MMR image again.

I have a spare beagle bone at home, let me play with this tonight/tomorrow and see if I can fix it. Feel free to PM me.

Marc

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

So, I need to think through this, but I wonder if I can help you fix it. The issue is that the beagle bone black isn't happy with the MMR boot image. I wonder if we can jump start it by putting a custom image on to make sure the beagle bone itself is working, and then side-load the MMR image again.
I have a spare beagle bone at home, let me play with this tonight/tomorrow and see if I can fix it. Feel free to PM me.
Marc

OK -- So I spent some time playing with this last night, and I cannot get this to break. Even if I shell into the beagle bone and remove the boot-loader from the NAND, I can still get it to boot up from microSD each time and refresh the OS. So, my guess without being at your place and seeing your board is that you are having a physical issue with the microSD and the pins which is causing enough packet loss in the data transfer to make the update fail. I would contact CGC for help (which I know you've already done), and they will likely have to swap out the beagle bone.

Marc

#236 7 years ago

Sorry you had an issue in the first place! You'll be flipping again really soon!

Marc

2 weeks later
#241 7 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I've not had any luck in updating my s/w. I tried to write to the micro SD card a couple of times.
The program indicates that it's written the *.img file.
But afterwards, when I look at the card, it's empty...except of the FAT32 system file.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Robert

You can have my installer image. I can mail it to you, or if you're near San Jose, I will give it to you personally. Please PM me.

Marc

#243 7 years ago

Robert,

Great to hear that! Enjoy the fixes.

Marc

1 month later
#250 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Ya if the battery was bad you would think it would lose all of the game settings........

The RTC only keeps an increasing monatomic clock for the date and time backed by a battery. Other settings are stored in RAM/NAND.

Change the battery

#252 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Huh? So with out a battery the game settings including hi-scores would be saved? The battery is only for a clock that I don't really need?

Midnight madness. And it keeps time for the beaglebone that you do need. There may be other things, but the scores did not reset when I changed my battery.

Marc

#255 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Ok, so you're saying that if we still get the 'time and date' error after the software upgrade we should replace the battery? There's a midnight madness mode in MMr like Dirty Harry? Thanks for your help!

Yes, you should try the simple thing first: change the battery and report back!

Marc

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.99
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintechev.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-code-update-6-25?tu=pintechev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.