New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 162877)

MMR code update 6-25

By TaylorVA

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 257 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20160630_141943_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160630_003509_(resized).jpg
MPH_Man_Praisin_Hard_Made_You_Look-front-large_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160627_180727_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160626_233541531_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_230502111_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_230345691_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_140339269_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
IMG_20160626_152250_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_151430396_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_151402506_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160626_140339269_(resized).jpg

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#2 4 years ago

Is this the free color update?

#3 4 years ago

Awesome!

#4 4 years ago

I'll write up Mac install instructions on Sunday night unless someone beats me to it.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks.

Would be nice of them to have some release notes. Off the top of my head things that should be fixed:
-Screen tearing
-Voices too low during certain sequences
-Scratchy audio after powered on for several hours
-Time and date not set error

I thought I heard that the shading/contrast was better on the updated version and it was easier to see detail?

Anything else I'm forgetting?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I'll write up Mac install instructions on Sunday night unless someone beats me to it.

Thanks for doing that.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Is this the free color update?

This includes the color update but it needs a chip or something to unlock it.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

This includes the color update but it needs a chip or something to unlock it.

I may know just the guy...

safecracker_203x150_(resized).jpg

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I may know just the guy...

That's not crash.

This thread will be on fire. The hopes of many future purchase are riding on this update.

#10 4 years ago

CGC told me the hardware package would follow shortly after this update was released so hopefully we will finally hear something this upcoming week. I asked but didn't get any info on pricing though.

#11 4 years ago

Well at least we finally have some progress.

I normally don't support piracy but after being led to believe colour was included with the le, in this case I will make an exception if someone cracks this thing.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I normally don't support piracy but after being led to believe colour was included with the le, in this case I will make an exception if someone cracks this thing.

That's super crappy of you. Don't be that guy.

#13 4 years ago

Hi Rick.

#14 4 years ago

I'm betting rick is tracking down the name, phone number and address of that guy in canada. He should expect an angry call for even talking about pirating and crackign his antipirate locks.

#15 4 years ago

Does anyone know if the SD card that is already installed in the game will work? Or do I need to go buy one?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

Does anyone know if the SD card that is already installed in the game will work? Or do I need to go buy one?

I would spend the couple of bucks just in case you did a new flash of the card and it didn't work.

#17 4 years ago

You need a new one.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I'm betting rick is tracking down the name, phone number and address of that guy in canada. He should expect an angry call for even talking about pirating and crackign his antipirate locks.

Lol F him, I'm not hard to find.

Anyone install this yet?

#19 4 years ago

Does anyone know if the SD card that is already installed in the game will work?

There isn't one in there.

LTG : )

#20 4 years ago

Lol F him, I'm not hard to find.
Anyone install this yet?

Yup. So far so good. I think this update has fixed all of the little issues I've had with my MMR. Would love to see notes.

#21 4 years ago

Some of the more progressive software companies have don't even use DRM anymore. It forces the honest buyer to jump through hoops for it to work and the crackers always find a way regardless. There are a lot of articles out there that break down the financial cost of implementing DRM vs. the amount they project it will save them from piracy. Typically, its negligible; but hey, whatever makes Rick feel better.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Thanks - I just tried doing the normal drag-and-drop that I'd normally do on a Mac, but it doesn't work. I get this message which is weird, as it's an 8g file and I'm using a 16g card.

MMR_Mac_Error_(resized).jpg

#23 4 years ago

I use a mac but I run Windows on VMWare as I need it for 2 applications.

I guess I could add it to dropbox and share the folder etc but it is 7.97GB unpacked. Up to you guys using a mac.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from WIKED:

Up to you guys using a mac.

Wish us luck!

th_(resized).jpg

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from WIKED:

I guess I could add it to dropbox and share the folder etc but it is 7.97GB unpacked. Up to you guys using a mac.

Anything to make it easier would be great. I don't know how to do PC/Windows anything. Not sure why this isn't just a drag-and-drop situation like Stern code, ColorDMD code, etc.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Anything to make it easier would be great. I don't know how to do PC/Windows anything. Not sure why this isn't just a drag-and-drop situation like Stern code, ColorDMD code, etc.

It won't be drag and drop. You'll need to use dd on the command line or a GUI wrapper. Like this (I haven't tried this yet, but it should work in spirit):

http://www.plugpbx.org/?page_id=109

Be careful and pick the right disk!

Marc

#27 4 years ago

Glad you found a mac version for that. Hopefully it all works.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from WIKED:

Glad you found a mac version for that. Hopefully it all works.

It's just a wrapper for DD. I will get instructions going for the command line way, but if that link works, folks should just use it. I can't test until tomorrow night. Anyone want to give it a go?

Marc

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Some of the more progressive software companies have don't even use DRM anymore. It forces the honest buyer to jump through hoops for it to work and the crackers always find a way regardless. There are a lot of articles out there that break down the financial cost of implementing DRM vs. the amount they project it will save them from piracy. Typically, its negligible; but hey, whatever makes Rick feel better.

Not Rick; CGC.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It won't be drag and drop. You'll need to use dd on the command line or a GUI wrapper. Like this (I haven't tried this yet, but it should work in spirit):
http://www.plugpbx.org/?page_id=109
Be careful and pick the right disk!
Marc

Thanks Marc, but omg that might as well be Chinese. I'm afraid if I try that thing I'll blow up my computer. Whatever this process is - it eventually puts a file on the SD card, right? Why doesn't CGC just provide THAT file so we can just plop it on the card like every other update file in pinball land ?

#31 4 years ago

Oh really? Shocking, it sounds like a Rick decision. Regardless, I'm glad you MMR guys are finally starting to get some support.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thanks Marc, but omg that might as well be Chinese. I'm afraid if I try that thing I'll blow up my computer. Whatever this process is - it eventually puts a file on the SD card, right? Why doesn't CGC just provide THAT file so we can just plop it on the card like every other update file in pinball land ?

Because they are using Beaglebone Black as their platform, and it needs a bootable SD card. Sadly, macOS doesn't have a nice UI version to make bootable SD cards like this.

You just need to download the app linked there: http://www.gingerbeardman.com/dd-gui/dd-gui-022.zip and launch it.

Set the source as the .img and the destination as the SD card. Make sure you pick the right destination

Marc

#34 4 years ago

Just tried this one and it seems to crash right before it's supposed to ask for the SD card destination...gonna try the first one....

#35 4 years ago

OK, tried the first one...I'm not comfortable enough with the language of it. I don't know what to enter in the "source" and "destination" boxes...I wish you could click on something and just select the file and destination like most programs.

#36 4 years ago

OK. Sorry for making you guys beta test. I should do this first, but I am away from a Mac until tomorrow night. The first link is even older, tho it still might work just fine.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OK, tried the first one...I'm not comfortable enough with the language of it. I don't know what to enter in the "source" and "destination" boxes...I wish you could click on something and just select the file and destination like most programs.

Yeah, I will have to do directions with screenshots once I have it working.

Marc

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Yeah, I will have to do directions with screenshots once I have it working.
Marc

Thanks. Just assume we're computer idiots, please

I've successfully installed and updated BOP 2.0 multiple times, updated tons of Stern games, updated tons of ColorDMDs ...but this whole thing is completely over my head at the moment.

#39 4 years ago

Sounds like it's similar to uploading new WOZ code to a flash drive on a Mac. Am I correct about that?

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Sounds like it's similar to uploading new WOZ code to a flash drive on a Mac. Am I correct about that?

Never done a WOZ, I'll have to look into that.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I just looked at JJP's site and downloaded "unetbootin" ...still confusing as F for someone who doesn't understand this process. I'm just gonna shut up and wait for the Mac tutorial...no way I can figure this out by myself without destroying something.

Does CGC plan on sending a pre-loaded microSD card with the color update package? Maybe I should just wait for that, if that's the plan.

#42 4 years ago

We'll sort it tomorrow man, be easy.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Never done a WOZ, I'll have to look into that.

Yep. It's the same. They use ISO images, but this is the sam gist. Copy a .img to an external drive bit for bit.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from WIKED:

Quoted from Rarehero:

I just looked at JJP's site and downloaded "unetbootin" ...still confusing as F for someone who doesn't understand this process. I'm just gonna shut up and wait for the Mac tutorial...no way I can figure this out by myself without destroying something.
Does CGC plan on sending a pre-loaded microSD card with the color update package? Maybe I should just wait for that, if that's the plan.

Rare, if Wiked is offering up his Windows VM, I would take him up on that offer. You won't have to deal with as many compatibility issues in the future.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This update contains the code for colorization, just not the key.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We'll sort it tomorrow man, be easy.

Alrighty - Aurich helped me figure out the DD Gui thingie...it's writing the code to the SD card, but is taking FOREVER...40 min to go...hopefully it works when it's all said and done!

#47 4 years ago

Really excited to see the color display come to life on MMR. This is the update every owner has been waiting for. Wonder if they'll be able to keep it from being hacked for free, the internet seems filled with guys smarter than the coders.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

Wonder if they'll be able to keep it from being hacked for free

They won't.

#49 4 years ago

Only way to stop software being hacked is to charge a price that people think is reasonable. Charge $10 and why on earth would anyone be so tight as to crack it. Charge $10,000 and expect it to be hacked by everyone (or just not bought). Balls in their court..... I'm very anti piracy but it's impossible to keep anything from being hacked if people want to do it badly enough

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Alrighty - Aurich helped me figure out the DD Gui thingie...it's writing the code to the SD card, but is taking FOREVER...40 min to go...hopefully it works when it's all said and done!

Let us know how that works out!!!

Marc

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs
There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside