You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

944B9BC2-B062-48CB-AC1B-4F481CA6A840 (resized).jpeg
FE796E00-5D7C-4C74-A4BF-A3411ADF499F (resized).jpeg
EB3D4B6D-2494-4731-B18A-FC583582CA91 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20150416_182904.jpg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

I unboxed my MMR yesterday and initiated extensive play testing. I LOVE the machine but as its destined to be put out on location it needs to be just about perfect before going out. It needs coin mechs too which are on the way.....lets not go there.

When playing it after about 35 games I got two balls into the catapult and the kicker wasn't strong enough to get them out. I took the glass off and cleared them and two games later it happened again. This would be fatal for operation of the machine on location if I had to drop by 2-4 times a week to clear stuck balls.

The obvious solution is to up the power on the kicker and I did that and it cleared balls in only the +1 setting. The problem I'm having now is that at any setting other than default power (and sometimes on default) the ball hits the flasher dome behind the castle and usually drops backwards down the left ramp and occasionally ends up in the moat.

I thought I'd consult the pinside hive mind before bending habitrails or adding deflectors. I tried to bend the end of the catapult habitrail down to aim the ball downward into the ramp but that thing is STIFF.

Has anyone encountered this issue on MMR or on an original MM? Any suggestions before I start bending things?

#2 9 years ago

My original MM seems to be able to clear 2 balls from the catapult, sometimes it takes 2 tries but I have never had to remove the glass to resolve the issue. I wouldn't bend anything yet... is it possible to install a small deflector to keep the ball from flying out of the habittrail/ramp?

#3 9 years ago

That's a theory I had, i.e. the original MM catapult kicker was strong enough to clear them. So I assume that on your MM you have good alignment/flow and the catapult always feeds the ramp and delivers the ball back to the left inlane?

Deflector mounting points seem to be scarce in that area but I'll admit I haven't dived into this thing in detail yet to see if some other adjustment can be made. Just looking for a baseline MM behavior reference. Thanks.

#4 9 years ago

Can't speak about MMR, but my MM experience is the same as Concretehardt's - catapult has always been able to clear two balls.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

So I assume that on your MM you have good alignment/flow and the catapult always feeds the ramp and delivers the ball back to the left inlane.

Yes to all of the above, my catapult has been 100% reliable.

#6 9 years ago

there a way to improve the strength of the coil?

#7 9 years ago

Yes, there's 4 power levels that can be set in software. On MAX it really kicks the crap out of the ball.

And thanks for the feedback concretehardt. I'll see if I can get this thing to behave.

#8 9 years ago

I had the same issue with the catapult

Quoted from sandersj:the ball hits the flasher dome behind the castle and usually drops backwards down the left ramp

The solution was just to move the wirerail for the catapult over to the right a little bit...just loosen the screw about 1/2 way up, slide the wirerail over a bit and tighten the screw.

It now works perfectly.

Good luck!
Ed

#9 9 years ago

Thanks Ed! I'll try that tonight.

#10 9 years ago

The MM (original) on route near me fails to kick even a single ball all the way around the ramp regularly. Sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. If two balls get stuck in the upkicker, that's a problem. If a ball comes back down the left ramp, not a problem. Not awesome, but not a problem. At least for me. People want their games to be perfect, but they won't be.

I would be more concerned that the upkicker is probably going to get weaker over time. You also might want to check the alignment of the ball(s) in the upkicker saucer.

#11 9 years ago

Try Ed's solution first.

Then :

Put a ball in the catapult and watch it go up and out the wireform. Does it go up it smoothly or does it hit at it and then up and out ?

If it goes up smoothly, then clean and wax it with what ever you use on the playfield.

If it's hitting into the wireform, you'll need to gently bend it down a bit so the ball goes up it rather than at it.

LTG : )™

#12 9 years ago

>Does it go up it smoothly or does it hit at it and then up and out ?

Ball launch is super smooth, right into the flasher dome. I've never had any problems with a single ball making it through and even on default power it sometimes hits the flasher. I'll update this thread once I move the ramp. Hopefully with good news.

While we're at it LTG, just as a data point, the game was DOA on first power up with a slam tilt switch stuck closed. I wiggled the coin door harness connector and it went away. As I like to say "its a pinball, it's not supposed to work. And one must keep a positive attitude at all times or the damn things will crush your soul.

Quoted from LTG:

Try Ed's solution first.
Then :
Put a ball in the catapult and watch it go up and out the wireform. Does it go up it smoothly or does it hit at it and then up and out ?
If it goes up smoothly, then clean and wax it with what ever you use on the playfield.
If it's hitting into the wireform, you'll need to gently bend it down a bit so the ball goes up it rather than at it.
LTG : )™

#13 9 years ago

There's a lock nut most of the way up the habitrail that has about an inch of adjustment in it. Moved the habitrail to the right and it's 100% on the ramp. Gotta tell'ya, this was a "problem" but trivial compared to having a new MM(r) in the basement. Problem solved, now to order another machine. These things are FANTASTIC!

#14 9 years ago

Glad to hear that it was an easy fix like mine. They should make sure it is in the right position in the factory but an easy enough fix.

Enjoy the game!

#15 9 years ago

Here's a pic of the adjustment point for the curious.

IMG_20150416_182904.jpgIMG_20150416_182904.jpg
#16 9 years ago

Thanks for the input. I really like the "slow incandescent emulation" setting in the CGC submenu. Best looking LEDs I've ever seen in a game.

It's nice of you to share this gem with the public! From experience, if you're routing your Medieval Madness have a couple of each of these on hand to save you the downtime when they inevitably break from being completely pounded on.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=GS-4032&Product_Code=PPS-03-98132

And at least one of these

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-04-10763-2

#17 9 years ago

Thanks for the info...still waiting for my Black...

7 months later
#18 8 years ago

Gonna resurrect this thread because I'm not fully happy with the way my catapult has been behaving. Right now I have the coil set to Max with the wireform adjusted pretty far to the right, just to get it to get around smoothly about 75% of the time. The other 25% it may hit somewhere at the apex of the loop or hit the exit switch, which will slow/impede its progress a bit. At a coil strength of anything less than +2 the ball won't even make it out of the catapult.

I could live with it the way it is, but the bigger problem I'm trying to solve is the situation of having multiple balls stuck in the catapult(typically two). It is impossible for it to eject any balls at that point. It appears that the ball being launched is hitting the bottom lip of the wireform.

Is this the bit that LTG is referring to, to "bend down"? I'm just wary of taking a pair of pliers or something to the wireform. Don't want to cause any damage, especially cosmetic, and want to be clear on the spot.

Also, could the coil itself just be underpowered or a dud? Seems to me that at Default power it should at least be able to eject the ball up the catapult. I checked under the hood and it looks fine mechanically to me. Nothing loose in the linkages or anything.

Any advice appreciated.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

Is this the bit that LTG is referring to, to "bend down"?

Watch the ball shoot into the wireform from the side. Does it go up the wireform or at it.

If up it, I'd clean and wax the wireform where the balls travel. If at it, I'd try and lower where it is hitting a little so balls go more up than at it.

LTG : )

1 year later
#20 6 years ago

New MMRLE owner here. Related issue in that the ball fires out of the catapult then sometimes falls off the habitrail/wireform somewhere in the middle of the playfield (instead of returning to the left inlane). Is my catapult power too strong? Only 5 games played so far, still adjusting levels but should be close enough.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from pdsway:

New MMRLE owner here. Related issue in that the ball fires out of the catapult then sometimes falls off the habitrail/wireform somewhere in the middle of the playfield (instead of returning to the left inlane). Is my catapult power too strong? Only 5 games played so far, still adjusting levels but should be close enough.

I have only had this happen once in many, many games on my MMR Standard. The catapault is set at +1, which is the perfect strength to clear 2 balls, which happened to be in a game last night actually, and still works fine for ball travels on the wireform/habitrail.

All other strength setting are default except I also have +1 on the flipper strength to get the ball to reach the damsel tower easily. ( I did this because the damsel ramp diverter seems to get stuck down a lot and a normal right ramp shot becomes a damsel tower shot).

#22 6 years ago

We have an MMr at work here and it will launch 2 balls from the catapult. It will NOT however, clear 3 balls as one of my co-workers sadly discovered during Battle for the Kingdom!

#23 6 years ago

Ya 3 balls is too much it seems and I've done that as well (on a different MMR).

But my issue seems to be the wireform not catapult as I can also hit the left ramp and cause the ball to fall off the wireform before it gets to the left inlane.

2 years later
#24 4 years ago

Hey All,

Just unboxed my MMr Special, a couple issues going on, would love your insights. I'm somewhat of a noob so troubleshooting is not my forte.
- Already have a credit dot, NIB two days ago, test report says, "Check Switch 12 Catapult Target". Any ideas what this means?
- The left towers(as you looking at the castle) are not resetting back into the upright position. They are laying to the left. It seems like the spring that holds the tower and pulls them back into the upright position is too lose. Any experience fixing this?
- The main wirerail that runs across the playfield from the catapult and left ramp, when the ball has any speed coming back down the wire rail, it flies off and onto the playfield. I am thinking it might need to be bent so adjust the angle or maybe loosen and move the rail? Before I start tinkering with it, want to see if any has any experience with this.

Thanks in advance, JW

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Hey All,
Just unboxed my MMr Special, a couple issues going on, would love your insights. I'm somewhat of a noob so troubleshooting is not my forte.
- Already have a credit dot, NIB two days ago, test report says, "Check Switch 12 Catapult Target". Any ideas what this means?
- The left towers(as you looking at the castle) are not resetting back into the upright position. They are laying to the left. It seems like the spring that holds the tower and pulls them back into the upright position is too lose. Any experience fixing this?
- The main wirerail that runs across the playfield from the catapult and left ramp, when the ball has any speed coming back down the wire rail, it flies off and onto the playfield. I am thinking it might need to be bent so adjust the angle or maybe loosen and move the rail? Before I start tinkering with it, want to see if any has any experience with this.
Thanks in advance, JW

may want to ping cgc with such a new game. I can say my catapult Target switch gets “stuck” from time to time. Take off glass, go to switch test mode, and activate it. It’s under the catapult, not the catapult switch itself.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

It means you haven't hit that target. Look at your game. See the catapult ? Now look up from it towards the red flasher dome a little in front of the catapult. See the red target ? It's a tough shot to hit it. Start hitting it and the error will go away.

Quoted from Jamwin:

Simple fix. The towers are on a metal base. Four screws hold it on. Remove the screws. The whole thing lifts off. Then you can check if there are burs or something not letting the towers snap back up, or tighten the springs on them.

Quoted from Jamwin:

Playfield at a 6 1/2 degree pitch ? You haven't made the flippers stronger when they didn't need it ? Then gently bend it a tiny bit.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

may want to ping cgc with such a new game.

He just did.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He just did.

Man you lurk everywhere (but in a good way!) helped me a few times as well.

Jamwin welcome to the club

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Man you lurk everywhere (but in a good way!)

I do tech support for CGC, so a little more than lurking.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It means you haven't hit that target. Look at your game. See the catapult ? Now look up from it towards the red flasher dome a little in front of the catapult. See the red target ? It's a tough shot to hit it. Start hitting it and the error will go away.

Simple fix. The towers are on a metal base. Four screws hold it on. Remove the screws. The whole thing lifts off. Then you can check if there are burs or something not letting the towers snap back up, or tighten the springs on them.

Playfield at a 6 1/2 degree pitch ? You haven't made the flippers stronger when they didn't need it ? Then gently bend it a tiny bit.

Thanks for the insights, gonna get "under the hood" today and look check everything based on your recommendations. And yes, it is @ 6.5 pitch, and haven't adjusted flipper strength. It falls off the rails even when the catapult kicks it out.

When adjust the spring, do you just take the existing spring and reduce the number of spirals in it but moving the attached hoop down/up? my fear is damaging the spring but i am sure this is a standard replacement part if damaged.

Either way, thanks again for the insight's everyone, very helpful. JW

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

When adjust the spring, do you just take the existing spring and reduce the number of spirals

If it needs it, yes. Take a loop or two off. Assuming no molding flashing or anything binding the towers performance.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it needs it, yes. Take a loop or two off. Assuming no molding flashing or anything binding the towers performance.

You. Are. The. Man. (that is, assuming you're a man, lol) That worked! thanks again for your help!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Hey All,

I had a credit dot and the same message about the Catapult Target switch about 2 days after getting my new MMrSE too. I then hit the target during play and it went away. The game tracks when switches have not been activated after a period of time and alerts you in case they maybe be malfunctioning.

#34 4 years ago

The only problem I have had with my MMrSE is that the date and time do not update while the machine is powered off. It has happened since day 1. I have reset the date and time each time I power it on and finally went into the back box and found that the coin battery had some gummy residue stuck to the + side that touches the circuit board. I replaced the battery with a new one and it didn't fix the issue so I pulled the new battery out and it to had a gummy residue on it. Tried cleaning the board with the battery out but the date and time still do not update while powered off, so I have just deactivated the display of date and time. All the other settings and highscores do save however.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

The only problem I have had with my MMrSE is that the date and time do not update while the machine is powered off. It has happened since day 1. I have reset the date and time each time I power it on and finally went into the back box and found that the coin battery had some gummy residue stuck to the + side that touches the circuit board. I replaced the battery with a new one and it didn't fix the issue so I pulled the new battery out and it to had a gummy residue on it. Tried cleaning the board with the battery out but the date and time still do not update while powered off, so I have just deactivated the display of date and time. All the other settings and highscores do save however.

Please go to https://www.chicago-gaming.com/ under Support - Help Desk, open a ticket about this.

It may go to me, I'll alert it to the engineer.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

The game tracks when switches have not been activated after a period of time and alerts you in case they maybe be malfunctioning.

10 games or 30 balls.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

I had a credit dot and the same message about the Catapult Target switch about 2 days after getting my new MMrSE too. I then hit the target during play and it went away. The game tracks when switches have not been activated after a period of time and alerts you in case they maybe be malfunctioning.

Yep, hit the target and credit dot gone...lol...this is a lesson I won't forget. still getting accustomed the "switch test" thing but good learning lesson nonetheless. thanks all.

#38 4 years ago

okay, one more minor thing, my MMrSE has the enhanced speaker system in it, which is great, but it seems to be rattling the glass. When i apply pressure to the glass around the cabinet rail, the rattling stops. I am thinking about putting felt strips in the glass slot to hold the glass in tighter to prevent the rattle. Does anyone have a better way of doing it and do you think felt will do any damage to by making it a tighter fit? thanks in advance. you all are awesome help.

#39 4 years ago

Felt strips will stop the rattling

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

okay, one more minor thing, my MMrSE has the enhanced speaker system in it, which is great, but it seems to be rattling the glass. When i apply pressure to the glass around the cabinet rail, the rattling stops. I am thinking about putting felt strips in the glass slot to hold the glass in tighter to prevent the rattle. Does anyone have a better way of doing it and do you think felt will do any damage to by making it a tighter fit? thanks in advance. you all are awesome help.

I have had this issue since day 1 too. I’ve thought of doing something similar, but have made it better by just moving the glass a slight bit to lessen the buzzing.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please go to https://www.chicago-gaming.com/ under Support - Help Desk, open a ticket about this.
It may go to me, I'll alert it to the engineer.

Thanks Lloyd. Here is what the residue looked like on the original battery, the new battery and inside the battery socket looked like.

EB3D4B6D-2494-4731-B18A-FC583582CA91 (resized).jpegEB3D4B6D-2494-4731-B18A-FC583582CA91 (resized).jpeg944B9BC2-B062-48CB-AC1B-4F481CA6A840 (resized).jpeg944B9BC2-B062-48CB-AC1B-4F481CA6A840 (resized).jpegFE796E00-5D7C-4C74-A4BF-A3411ADF499F (resized).jpegFE796E00-5D7C-4C74-A4BF-A3411ADF499F (resized).jpeg
#42 4 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

Thanks Lloyd. Here is what the residue looked like on the original battery, the new battery and inside the battery socket looked like.

If it's still not keeping time, please open a ticket so the engineers can get it sorted out for you.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it's still not keeping time, please open a ticket so the engineers can get it sorted out for you.

I did last week. Got an email reply and gave updated information. Was informed it was going to engineering. Still waiting for a reply. Not a big deal. Seems the rest of the settings, highscores and accomplishments are still being saved.

#44 4 years ago

LTG, you seem to be the resident expert, my MMrSE, only a week old, display screen just went blank in the middle of a game. Game still playing but nothing is on the screen. Not sure if it's a fuse, can't even figure out what fuse it would be. Any insights? I sent a not to Chicago Gaming a few minutes ago. thanks in advance.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

LTG, you seem to be the resident expert,

There are a lot of people here smarter than me helping out.

Quoted from Jamwin:

I sent a not to Chicago Gaming a few minutes ago.

I might not have access to it, a ticket I would. I do tech support for them.

Any way. Turn the game off. The connectors to the LCD screen, reseat them at the screen and where the come from in the backbox. Push in real tight.

That should fix you up.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

There are a lot of people here smarter than me helping out.

I might not have access to it, a ticket I would. I do tech support for them.
Any way. Turn the game off. The connectors to the LCD screen, reseat them at the screen and where the come from in the backbox. Push in real tight.
That should fix you up.

Thanks LTG. tightened every connection can find, still dead as a door nail. this pin hates me. jw

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Thanks LTG. tightened every connection can find, still dead as a door nail. this pin hates me. jw

Did you unplug them and plug back in ?

If so. Please go to - https://www.chicago-gaming.com/ under support on the help desk and open a ticket. I am sorry, they may not be on it until Monday. Arturo or Edwin will get you what you need.

Thank you,

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you unplug them and plug back in ?
If so. Please go to - https://www.chicago-gaming.com/ under support on the help desk and open a ticket. I am sorry, they may not be on it until Monday. Arturo or Edwin will get you what you need.
Thank you,

yeah, unplugged and plugged back in, nada. is there a fuse that could be blown? and did open a ticket, no worries about it being monday, is what it is. thank again for your help, much appreciated.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

is there a fuse that could be blown?

Sadly, no. Reseat usually does it.

I didn't see the ticket in there. You might give them a call on Monday. Hit "0" for operator and ask for Arturo or Edwin.

Thank you,

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sadly, no. Reseat usually does it.
I didn't see the ticket in there. You might give them a call on Monday. Hit "0" for operator and ask for Arturo or Edwin.
Thank you,

I just sent it via the help desk, before i just sent them an email through the "contact us" link. you should see the ticket now. again, thanks for your help and hopefully it gets assigned to you to continue helping. talk soon. jw

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-catapult-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.