(Topic ID: 126147)

MMR came a few weeks back. Wow, I love this game now!

By BlueAllen

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by whitey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

You've been playing one game all these years and you know it too well - and LOTR is notorious for being one of the longest playing games. It's often not used in high level tournaments, and if it is, they make significant modifications (wider posts on the right ramp, lightning flippers, etc).

In arcades, average ball times are around 60 seconds. If you're averaging over 20 minutes per game in LOTR, I'd suggest making it harder. BTW, the game keeps track, so you can see the exact number in your audits.

I find that I can flail more in LOTR without needing to control the ball, because every where you shoot is some smooth shot that returns back to your flipper. MM on the other hand: the moat never returns the ball consistently, shots to the drawbridge will drain regularly, and hitting a troll always puts the ball out of control. There are a lot more dangerous shots on MM. MM does not have 20 minute long average games.

Are you bounce passing or drop catching shots off the castle? Are you just wailing away on the castle while in single ball play? Are you trying to build up a huge multi-ball stack and then falling short? These are things you will learn when you've had more time at it.

Hope you grow to love it. If not, sell it and get a different game with longer ball times - like Spider-man.

#52 4 years ago

For the time being, you can make adjustments to the game to ease your punishment. Adjust the outlanes tighter, increase ball save time, or maybe go to 5 ball games. As you get better and learn the game you can go back to default settings, if you like. Oh, and be anal about leveling the game, always from the playfield and using a smaller digital level. Also, I don't think putting wax on the new clear coated playfield is going to help you any.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from BlueAllen:

I'm used to forums full of people who would do nothing but insult me for a topic like this ....

Give it time..... Trust me, you'll hit a nerve sooner or later, and then everyone will lose their minds .

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Who has access to a real MM on a moment's notice?

this is why you always play before you buy. I don't like MM because of it's simple repetitive ruleset and boring layout. Figured anyone buying it, would have known this for themselves before buying the remake. It's not that hard to find one in someones collection thats local to you. It's a cookie cutter game and most of the b/w collectors have one. Or even to find one on route. they are all over the place here on route.

#55 4 years ago

In addition to the many great suggestions here I'd add adjusting the slope of the game to see if you find it more controllable or satisfying. Personally I have my MM set to over 7 degrees as I like the way it plays better that way, however you may prefer it with less slope (makes the Damsel ramp easier to hit that way but makes the VUK kickout less repeatable in my experience). Either way, stay with it and learn some new skills!

#56 4 years ago

I think too many people expect too much from MM/MMr, because of what they cost. It's a good game, but it's not the ultimate pin(IMHO).

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I find that I can flail more in LOTR without needing to control the ball, because every where you shoot is some smooth shot that returns back to your flipper.

One huge reason why it's easier to keep the ball in play on LOTR vs. other games is the shire. On most games, an out of control ball with sideways movement is very dangerous. On LOTR, these balls will often land in the shire and be safely delivered to the left flipper.

#58 4 years ago

Maybe edit the title to: wow, this game is WAY different than LOTR
In the long run, that will be a good thing; I hardly turn on my LOTR anymore because of the time it takes to play. And I only have 3 pins.

#59 4 years ago

I have not played LOTR much but seems like all pinball has ball spin where it does weird things. It's like air balls. In my experience, the best way to limit those things is to cradle the ball, get it under control, and make planned shots. That said, I enjoy fast games and don't like stopping the ball for every shot.

I would give MMr some time. It's not my favorite game but still fun. Learn the rules and get use to how your game plays. All games play different. I always suck at games until I play a whole bunch of games on it. Even when I get really good at one of my own games, I still suck most of the time. It get's frustrating but I always go back for more.

#60 4 years ago

Bummer - you should definitely take the time to play games before buying them. I had the exact opposite situation. I picked up a NIB LOTR LE, played it for a few months and never got into it. Ended up selling it to someone who loves it. If you don't like MM, unload it and pick up something else that you do like. Should be easy enough to sell it.

#61 4 years ago

I just finished building a MM all decked out with custom mods, clearcoated playfield, color DMD etc. We love the game, but with the clear coated repro'd playfield, strong flippers, slings, etc the ball action is just crazy (spins, bounces, slides, etc). Especially if you make shots in a row since it just adds to the ball speed. I know it's not an MMr, but everything in it is new or polished and rebuilt. When I played MMr at Texas Pinball Festival they weren't near as fast or brutal as ours is, but I'm not sure how they were setup (I ran up a ridiculous score there).

You have to work for a great game on MM (at least ours). Heck you have to work to just have a ball last more then 30 seconds. I have it set with mid wide outlanes and it is pretty steep, but every shot is makeable. My wife and I can play a game and get a crappy ball, or a crappy game where you don't even get a multiball. Then we will play it more (we never stop if we haven't gotten a multiball) and you can get things working well and run up a great score with multiballs etc. Last night she played five games before getting a decent game and she's pretty good.

Compared to the LOTR we have, my MM is a brute, but that's part of why we like it so much. It does play completely different and if you go from playing a stern like LOTR to playing MM it takes a bit to adjust. We have about 15 games setup so we are always jumping between them.

Balls can change direction when they slide along the troll flaps if going slow, banging the castle is always a risk and if you haven't shopped your LOTR recently then all of the rubbers on MM are going to be much more bouncy (I have superbands on ours) adding to the chaos.

I hope it grows on you, but as others have said if you really don't like it then sell it and move on. I don't think you will lose much unless you just have to have it gone tomorrow...

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from BlueAllen:

Hopefully I can look back in a month from now and laugh at how stupid I was being when I reread this topic.

Hopefully it doesn't take a month.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

One huge reason why it's easier to keep the ball in play on LOTR vs. other games is the shire. On most games, an out of control ball with sideways movement is very dangerous. On LOTR, these balls will often land in the shire and be safely delivered to the left flipper.

Unless LOTR was NIB. Then it was impossible to play. My LOTR would do the same thing every time. If you set off a sling at all. It was pass, pass outlane. Every time. Like the new playfield, new rubber and new coil setup, was perfectly engineered to throw it down the side on the 3rd or 4th hit. It was impossible to play. took 150 games to break it in, to the point where instead of going perfectly down the outlane, it would finally catch the rubber a bit to make it bounce around to have a chance.

That might be the problem he's having with MM. Might not be dirty enough to be playable yet.

#64 4 years ago

I ranted a similar thing when I first got my TZ, and was new to the hobby. I get your early frustration. TZ is now my second favorite game.

Give it time, never make a rash decision on a new purchase. Allow yourself time to overcome your preconceived notions.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOTR is boring and far too easy.
I can see how someone reared on easy Stern games like LOTR or SM might take a while to adapt to the Williams style of play.

Congratulations on reaching Valinor!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&what=posts&q=Valinor&topic-machine=&pinsider=CrazyLevi&age_days=&subforum=0&sort_by=date&sort_order=DESC#results

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I just finished building a MM all decked out with custom mods, clearcoated playfield, color DMD etc. We love the game, but with the clear coated repro'd playfield, strong flippers, slings, etc the ball action is just crazy (spins, bounces, slides, etc). .

It might be a good idea to put weaker flipper coils in the game. I assume it has blue? Maybe orange would be better. Stock coils on a cleared playfield are going to be overkill.

Rob

1 week later
#67 4 years ago

I played MMr at Allentown and I have a Chris Hutchins restored MM at the house now. I think the MMr plays great but for some reason, it seemed easier to play to me. I was talking to the guy in the booth while playing it and not really trying too hard and I wasn't far off the high score of the day. I know I had more opportunities at the princess than I ever had on the original. I still thought it played nice. Real smooth!

#68 4 years ago

It's not the pin. You just need to get used to it. Guys who are used to Williams & Bally pins have similar criticism when they first play a Stern. They play and feel different and there's nothing wrong with that. Also, once you get the hang of MM and start having longer ball times you will see why it's so highly rated. Give it time.

#69 4 years ago

The angle of Williams flippers when held up is lower than the angle of Sterns, even when assembled correctly. It is harder to trap on a WMS than a Stern. Bouncy flipper rubber will make it even worse. Use drop-catches bounce-passes to make controlled shots or gain control.

The game will slow down a bit as a breaks in, although waxing it will keep it fast. You'll get used to it soon enough. Get superjets going then you can use the orbits to stop the ball. Learn how to control or work with the feeds from both orbits (jets and moat kickout) as they occur often. Use multiballs to work on the castle, otherwise avoid it when the drawbridge is down. If you must shoot it in single ball, do so from left flipper as rebounds tend to be more forgiving.

Make sure the game is level side-to-side, and that pitch is around 6.5deg (don't rely on the bubble; sometimes they're not screwed down tightly and read incorrectly). If you still notice the ball rolling off to the left (on the left) and to the right (on the right), use a straightedge and make sure the playfield isn't warped (humped).

#70 4 years ago

BlueAllen,

Are you enjoying the game more now that you have had it for a couple weeks?

#71 4 years ago

Whether you reach Valinor or not, any game where decent players can routinely get a 30 minute game going seems pretty easy to me.

#72 4 years ago

Update:

I love this game!

The difficulty took some getting used to but the ball started moving more naturally after about 100 or so plays, just as pinballkyle suggested and that helped turn it from frustrating difficulty to very enjoyable difficulty.

As was suggested by others I'm glad that I have two games that seem so far apart on the spectrum. If I want a game that is going to last a while and the challenge comes from chaining shots well and trying to build to a large score and complete lots of modes I will play LotR and if I want a generally faster series of games I will play MMR. Also I like that one is a more serious theme and the other is really light hearted and humorous.

Thanks for all your feedback on this topic guys. It helped me get through my initial frustration.

#73 4 years ago

Current high score is just over 96,000,000. There are still so many modes that I have barely scratched the surface of, I love it!

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from BlueAllen:

It helped me get through my initial frustration.

I can't wait for my own frustration to start.

Hopefully, I'll be seeing my black trim MMr soon.

#75 4 years ago

When I get a game in my home and spend the time learning the nuances, it becomes more compelling to play. Glad to hear you turned the corner by spending more time on it.

#76 4 years ago

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!!

#77 4 years ago

Honestly it's hard to keep reading anything about MMR I just want the Dam Game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside