(Topic ID: 126147)

MMR came a few weeks back. Wow, I love this game now!

By BlueAllen

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by whitey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Edit: I originally posted a rant about some the frustration I had while I was getting used to this game while it was breaking in.

I have edited the post and topic title to reflect my current thoughts on this game.

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from BlueAllen:

Another serious concern as that the balls are doing really, really trippy things on me. Slow moving balls will actually change spin and direction on me with no outside contact.

You do realize that the ball is rolling and spinning ?

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

I'm not going to bash you, must suck to buy a game for so much money and not like it. Should be an easy sell though.

May I suggest in the future you play any game you plan to buy, not just once but a lot.

#4 8 years ago

This is madness!

#5 8 years ago

I know people that dislike MM and think it's highly overrated. (Note: I've never had enough of an opportunity to play, so I have no opinion).

Bottom line: you are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else.

Hold and play it for a bit. If you don't like it, it's highly likely you can sell it and not take much of a hit. You win some, you lose some.

#6 8 years ago

^^ this, Alot of people do not like MM once they get it in their home.
That's why it's important to play a game many times to see if it fit's your playing style.

#7 8 years ago

Wow, I played a friends and had the complete opposite experience. The game played awesome and fast. Every bit of the game the original is. Maybe it's the extra cc'd field, not everyone like that. You really have to give the game a chance. It has a challenging but very attainable wiz mode. Game is complete out of the box. Lots off toys with the castle, trolls, catapult, damsel ramp. There is a lot to like compared to the Stern turds lately. Your milage may vary..

Alan

#8 8 years ago

No need to bash. Hey, I played Walking Dead about a dozen time before I got one for home.
Didn't take me long to decide I wasn't crazy about the machine.
As Steve mentioned, good thing about your machine is you can probably flip it right now for close if not all of what you paid for it due to the demand.
I don't know where you live but with the Allentown show this weekend, you could move it fast.

Then again there is option B, and that's sleep on it. Not one night but a week or so. Make sure your not happy. Sometimes the shell shock of how much we just paid out for these babies starts to sink in.
Maybe you will change your mind.

#9 8 years ago

meant to edit my post not quote it.

#10 8 years ago

Waxing would help reduce some of the spin issues. Have you done that yet?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from BlueAllen:

That's when I eventually heard about MMR. I knew how well regarded MM is and the theme is great so I quickly got the ball rolling on ordering this remake. Now here we are today and I hate this game so far. Why?

Did you ever play MM before ordering the MMR?

#12 8 years ago

I will give you $7000 for it, take it before they are selling for $6500.....

#13 8 years ago

A mmr will play differently than a stern machine. May I suggest just playing some games without thinking about it at all. Just ex
lore that castle shots watch the dmd animations and take it all in. Then get used to the games nuances. You may still learn to love it.

#14 8 years ago

There were bound to be stories like this from people who bought MMR on the reputation of MM. I don't see your comments as negative - it's your opinion after spending some time with the game.

If you really think you aren't going to be happy with your MMR - sell it. I have no doubt you can readily find a willing buyer. But give yourself a few weeks to see if Medieval grows on you - it's quite possible that it will.

I used to think The Addams Family was very overrated and never "got it" - until I decided to buy one, with the idea I could flip it if I didn't like it. Now I can't imagine not having TAF in my lineup.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Did you ever play MM before ordering the MMR?

Who has access to a real MM on a moment's notice?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Not in your area, but the is one at the Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham, NH.
I have tried it. Its not for me, but I am not bashing the game. I am quite jealous they remade it. I might be onboard for a Addams Family or Twilight Zone remake.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You can at least learn the rules and get a feel for the game on the Pinball Arcade app, right?

#18 8 years ago

Give it time. I owned a LOTR and loved it. But the very fact that MMr is so different from LOTR is actually a big strength in a two-game collection. Try to enjoy MMr on its own without comparing it to LOTR. I like steak, but a nice pork roast can be great too. (Hmmm, I must be hungry.)

#19 8 years ago

I think each machine has its own personality. Both the game and the actual individual machine. I can't imagine buying a machine without having experienced it many times first to know if the game and I would gel.

A lot of people on pinside do not like TWD. I love it. Love it to death. I went out of my way to go to the one bar in Austin to play it. Late at night on odd days, feeding $1 and $5 bills into it. I couldn't stop. The same bar (Buffalo Billiards) has Twilight Zone. People love this game. And it is a fine game. But it and I don't get along so great. I know it has a lot of personality, but we just aren't going to be friends.

MMR has many lovers. So pass it along to someone else. Go out and play a bunch of other games and find one you like. And wait for it to become available. I understand you may not want to futz around much with a machine and want something "new." A lot of collectors put tremendous effort into rebuilding pins. Pay a premium and get a machine you love that was restored by an excellent craftsman.

#20 8 years ago

I never thought MM was that difficult especially with those cheater ramps that prevent SDTM drains. But compared to a LOTR I guess it would be.

#21 8 years ago

People have posted about flippers being misaligned upon delivery. If this is how the Ops game came it could certainly make it play as he describes.

#22 8 years ago

Regarding the flippers, make sure they are aligned with the lane guides. A lot of games, mine included, had misadjusted flippers that pointed down too much. This will make the gap wider and make it harder to trap the ball.

Are you placing the level on the playfield when leveling the game? If not, you may not have the game level.

Are you setting the slope using the bubble level by the shooter lane, or using a level to make sure it is the proper slope?

All the above things can drastically affect how the game plays if they aren't done right.

#23 8 years ago

You're not alone in not liking a 'new' game or being unable to make shots.

I bought XMLE and for the first year plus I disliked it. I couldn't make most shots, I suck. I didn't like the rules etc... At times I would not play it for months and months. So I was about selling it. Even though I love the theme, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I though I made a huge mistake etc..

But on the way to selling it, I decide anyway I payed for it, might as well play it before I sell it. Funny thing happened, I started making shots that I never made before, Beast/Gambit, Ice, Storm. I started defeating modes and progressing and understanding the rules. It didn't happen over night or even in a year. But now I think I'm 30 month of owning it and it's one of my top pins. I just rated my pins and put XMLE ahead of SM I might add, and I like SM a lot.

My point is, maybe you need to work at it and find the shots.

I'm not sure, maybe there is a defect in your machine or maybe it's just different and you need to adjust your muscle memory to playing the game.

#24 8 years ago

And is the ball slowly rolling over the trolls when it changes direction?

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Cappi:

Waxing would help reduce some of the spin issues. Have you done that yet?

In my experience, waxing increases spin, not decrease it. I am sure The OPs PF is brand spankin new and will probably be very active until the pf gets broken in.

Me personally I LOVE that kind of action, but to each their own.

#27 8 years ago

Thanks for all the quick responses guys.

I honestly feel a bit embarrassed but I had to blow off some steam.

Indeed I did buy this game based on its reputation alone so I didn't know exactly how different the game was going to feel than what I was used to. I'm not giving up on the game yet though. I'm sure as I get more used to it I will adjust and start to play/react better. I guess I was not expecting to be going through the same level of terribleness as I did when I got my first pin all those years ago so I have been finding constant awful games a bit frustrating.

I just played my best game yet not 10 minutes ago actually and while still not feeling quite right it was very satisfying actually playing for a little while and getting to enjoy some of the game's features instead of ball drain, ball drain, ball drain within the first 2 minutes.

For the record the flippers seem to be lined up fine but I have not put any wax on since getting the machine so I will try that and hopefully the ball flows a bit smoother and doesn't just lose momentum mid travel.

Thanks for the understanding guys. Hopefully things just start to feel right after a few more weeks of playing and I have a really fun compliment to my LotR game.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from BlueAllen:

Thanks for the understanding guys. Hopefully things just start to feel right after a few more weeks of playing and I have a really fun compliment to my LotR game.

Definitely expect MMR to kick your ass more than LOTR does. It's going to make you work for it.

Try and enjoy it, if not, someone will buy it.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from BlueAllen:

Slow moving balls will actually change spin and direction on me with no outside contact.

Do they really change spin? Direction yes, but spin? Impossible. My guess is the balls have english on them.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Try and enjoy it, if not, someone will buy it.

Definitely… there's a waiting list for these things you know!

#31 8 years ago

I have LOTR and AC/DC, I was used to relatively slow pace of LOTR and the furious speed of AC/DC really surprised me. For the first few weeks the game was frustrating to me, balls drained very very quickly. But it definitely developed my playing skills, much much more than LOTR ever did and I feel I'm now much better player thanks to AC/DC

So hang in there, don't give up and I dare to say you'll learn to love MMR and its speed. And if not, you can always sell it but I wouldn't rush into that

#32 8 years ago

LOTR is boring and far too easy.

I can see how someone reared on easy Stern games like LOTR or SM might take a while to adapt to the Williams style of play.

#33 8 years ago

Even since I posted this topic my whole outlook has kind of changed. I was expecting to come into this game and do well based on my experience level with another machine and that led me to getting frustrated when I was doing awful. Taking all of the responses into account though I am now looking at this as a new challenge to master and already am enjoying it much more with that mindset. I think with a bit of time I could and probably will love this game every bit as much as my LotR.

Thank you guys for all of the responses. This is definitely a great community to be a part of. I'm used to forums full of people who would do nothing but insult me for a topic like this so all of your responses and tips have been really awesome.

#34 8 years ago

You dont list your location but perhaps another user here who has played the old (or new) game who lives nearby might be willing to meet-up with you and take a look.

#35 8 years ago

If your only real pinball experience is with LOTR, it's not surprising that you are finding MMr to be a bit frustrating. LOTR tends to have longer than average ball times. The rules may be deep, but keeping the ball in play is fairly easy. I say give MMr some time. Get to learn the rules and develop your flipper skills. Chances are, you will end up really liking your MMr. If you still don't like it, sell it and move on to something else.

#36 8 years ago

Sounds like you should sell it and move on with life. Please tell me you're located in the Mid West

#37 8 years ago

this post makes me sad. you are judging the quality of a game based on your skill at it? that's like if i said guitar sucks because i don't know how to play one. shoot the castle, nudge the machine in a way that it serves back to the flippers, trap up and repeat. not sure how anyone could think MM is anything more than one shot babytown frolics, and its still an awesome game.

Quoted from BlueAllen:

don't want to be doing a lot of maintenance so I was always looking for new machines only.

oh, you poor, sweet, naive, little thing you.

also i dont wanna tell you how to spend your money that you obviously have so much of, but you really should try something out before you just drop 10k plus on it. seriously, can i have like two thousand bucks? i promise ill spend it on a game i enjoy and dont suck at.

#38 8 years ago

Now that is the right mind set. If it was like LOTR you wouldn't need it. You will learn to love it. I also have one on order. By the way people the know how to play pinball ( not me I suck ) say the LOTR has one of the longest ball times.

#39 8 years ago

Give it time, ACDC (luci) is my favorite game but it kicks my ass along with TZ. Only game I bought that I never played was Indy 500. It went out the door the very next day ! Don't feel bad

#40 8 years ago

This thread strikes me in an odd way as LOTR is probably my least favorite pin in my collection atm (which includes an MM).

#41 8 years ago

Thats why I sold my LOTR...ball times were too long and I got tired of standing there. Maybe you are just too used to playing an easy game.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

is the ball slowly rolling over the trolls when it changes direction?

They set pretty flush on my MMr, but every once in awhile I see the ball change directions when it rolls over one of the 'lids' . . . the left one. They LOOK really good and smooth on the PF. Visitors don't see the outline of them and are shocked when they pop up. Unlike my Goldeneye where the ramp to the satellite is obvious and often changes the direction of the ball drastically.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

^^ this, Alot of people do not like MM once they get it in their home.
That's why it's important to play a game many times to see if it fit's your playing style.

I made that mistake, buying one before playing it. It only stayed in my home for 1 month.

#44 8 years ago

Keep it, play it, you will probably grow to love it!! ...and if your in southern Ontario, near Toronto, Id love to check it out, I may be interested in one when people start flipping them...

...ohhh, and, LOTR will never leave my collection...

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from BlueAllen:

I hate this game so far.

If you think you're disappointed now, just wait until you try to sell it.

#46 8 years ago

If it doesn't work out than maybe you simply like games with longer ball times. Also since you like newer Sterns with possibly less repairs and a satisfying wizard mode, I would suggest Spiderman. This game is similar in terms of ball times, fun mini wizard mode and reaching super hero is very difficult IMHO. I'm mostly a Stern guy now because I also am weak at best in regards to repairs so I also go fry he newer games. Also the code on Spiderman is rock solid. Good Luck.

#47 8 years ago

Definitely check the flipper alignment and make sure the game is leveled properly.

But yes it does play differently than LOTR.

#48 8 years ago

And somehow.... This guy gets his NIB MMR that he hates probably 9 months before me

#49 8 years ago

You need to play a variety of games to improve your skills. The more challenging a game, you're likely to enjoy it longer in a home environment. If you approach every new game as a challenge you'll probably enjoy them more and it will be very satisfying as you improve.

Suggest you align the bottom on the flippers (not rubbers) with the holes in the playfield like the designer intended. It's harder to consistently cradle, but will force you to develop your ball control or aiming skills.

#50 8 years ago

I've had both of these games and love MM but let LOTR go... mainly because of the humour aspect... you have to love the humour of MM LOTR on the other hand... er... It actually became kind of depressing to play! The strategy on MM I also found compelling... LOTR was a bit long-winded, like the film... so at least it tied in well in that respect

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-came-the-other-day-wow-i-hate-this-game-so-far and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.