(Topic ID: 161242)

MMR Cabinet Decals wrap around corners

By makeittogo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

So I noticed that the side decals wrap around the front corners and the front decal is trimmed to be slightly smaller than the front. This leaves a slight bulge of the front side corners where they overlap. It seems like it might be less likely to snag the edges from brushing against the cabinet. Is this going to be the new preferred way to install cabinet art? Is this better than trimming a sharp edge on the corners with no overlap?

#2 7 years ago

Do you have a pic of this? I have seen some claim JJP does this on Hobbit and i have seen the Hobbit in person as well as MMR and never saw any overlap.

I think overlap is a quick/cheap alternative to doing it the right way.

#3 7 years ago

I personally do not like the looks of this method. Any time I install decals I always fill and smooth the corners of the cabinet, then I paint the corners black, then I trim the decals with an Exacto knife at the corners. I don't like the look of the overlap where you can see the end of the side decals beneath the front decal. I don't know why CGC does this, other than because it might be easier.

#4 7 years ago

Are you serious? Lmao if true.

...and no, that's not the correct way to do things. Shortcut cheap way, yes.

#5 7 years ago

Pretty sure my stern pins are done the same way

#6 7 years ago

Not exactly sure who is the judge of what is right and what is wrong when it comes to the corners of pinball cabinets. Just because they were done this way 20 plus years ago does not mean it is the wrong way to do it now. Its how manufactures are building the games currently, so from a stand point of original, yes this is the right way to apply these decals.

#7 7 years ago

Well, no one was appointed cabinet decal corner installation judging person but some things are obviously right and wrong when observed. As Chris Rock said, "you can drive your car with your feet but it doesn't make it right." I have hung miles of wall covering in my career and know a visually pleasing seam when I see one. Half assed overlapping the two panels is sloppy and lazy. Can they do it? Sure, more power to them. Still doesn't make it right.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Just because they were done this way 20 plus years ago does not mean it is the wrong way to do it now. Its how manufactures are building the games currently, so from a stand point of original, yes this is the right way to apply these decals

Maybe that applies to a new Stern Title but MMR is supposed to be the same game as a Williams MM except the differences they identified:

- Display potential to display color
    - LED's
    - Missing Williams logos
    - Upgraded floor for LE's
    - Choice of trim.

Add this to the list of differences they dont advertise (excluding production defects that were corrected like slings eating into the playfield)

- display upgrades cost more
    - no coin mechs.
    - washed out fonts on inserts
    - overlapping decals

#9 7 years ago

Couldn't have said it better, Joe. If there is a cheaper way to do things and still make a profit, most manufacturers will opt to do things that way.

Ford used to say that "Quality is Job 1". Not any more, not in America. With a few exceptions, that is. Most manufacturers that adhere to the quality before quantity, quality before greed credo, are small, family-owned businesses.

Greg

#10 7 years ago

Remakes are never the exact as an original. I don't even bother trying to argue with mmr owners because it's not worth it. If you want a mm buy and mm and not a remake. Pretty simple. I'm an owner of both and happy with both.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-cabinet-decals-wrap-around-corners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.