(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 8 years ago

I'm so glad I didn't partake in the MMr bandwagon.
I was tempted if AFMr was a reality... and fairly reasonably Priced. But right now; I have zero faith in PPS/Rick/CGC given the way they have acted.

#163 8 years ago

Given that PPS / CGC seem to price based upon MARKET conditions.... not actual product cost / development time; I'm going to wager this isn't a $100 upgrade. ColorDMD has set the price at $400. So I expect the color upgrade for MMR to be north of $300; regardless of if it's a software only change.

#581 8 years ago

Looks good... but then; the technology between ColorDMD and ColorMMR is drastically different.
I still wait to see what retail price will be.

10 months later
#1553 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Answer this...
Yet it still took them more than 10 months to get this trivial work done. Resolve that one....

Lazy. Not customer oriented. Take ur pick

#1557 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If its so trivial.. and you are going to get 100+k in money for doing it... things aren't lining up.

You are entitled to your opinion.
Simply put; this is yet another attempt for PPS and CGC to extract more blood from the turnip.
I for one hope they never do another Refake.... because; well... I'm just tired of seeing the little people getting screwed.

I am absolutely NOT surprised that they're price point is at the same cost as ColorDMD ... with a fraction of the cost. It just confirms that they are who I thought they were... by squeezing every bit of money they can from you poor refake buyers.

#1652 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Has nothing to do with the original boardset... both CGC's and ColorDMD's solution are add-ons that simply read the data stream sent to the original DMD.
Rick could, barring patent issues, release the high-res color mod for regular 1997 Medieval games quite easily. Picture a standard colorDMD setup with the CGC high-res code. Considering their investment in the product, I pretty much expect that to happen, eventually. Only thing that could stop it would be ColorDMD patents and refusal to license them..

... I'm sorry; but what are you smoking?
I have ZERO doubt that IF CGC is violating a ColorDMD patent; that ColorDMD would have *no*choice* but to sue CGC or risk losing the patent.
While I have no data to back it up; it was my understanding that the new "code" for color on MMr is an actual re-write of the color frames present in the existing MMr frames. There is no colorization of existing data streams; its brand new ROMs built to contain the color info.

Just like RZ from Spooky having color frames in the DMD roms.
So; unless you have licensing agreements showing that CGC licensed ColorDMD's patents; please stop stating these "facts".

#1656 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I specifically said "COULD stop" instead of "will stop" because I don't know what ColorDMD patents cover,

By definition; the patent owner HAS to sue if they even remotely think another product infringes. Failure to do so leaves the door open to others challenging the validity of said patent.

I realize I may have come across as a harsh know-it-all; but that how my day has been. My apologies.

I can't find the "proof"; but I'm sure I read somewhere that the MMR DMD is a real LCD with real highrez art behind it. No "framing" of the BW screens... and transposing to color. I think it was Randy himself that posted that MMR and ColorDMD were incompatible because of the data/interface PPS used. Maybe it uses a real display interface like HDMI, DVI, or LVDS? not sure.

#1688 7 years ago

If there is one thing I know... is that I didn't sleep in a holiday express last night.
I'm only stating what I was told in some IP classes required work.

#1723 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Ha! I got more of the software engineer vibe from you based on your use of semicolons. Or an English professor, but my money is on software.

Bwwahahhha
Yep
Sometimes I dabble in electrical engineering

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
$ 64.99
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.