(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 8 years ago

I love my MMr - but if they charge for this update it will be a massive slap in the face to everyone who supported them, paid a premium for this game and waited through unreasonable delays.

Since they've "got me" already I will want it ...but it's the last dime they will ever see from me.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Rarehero you can thumb me down all you want but it will not change my initial feeling about this refake.

This thread isn't about whether you like the game or not. You can discuss that in another thread. I've put hundreds of games on mine and it plays beautifully. I disagree with your impression & think you're just trolling, as you usually do in MMr related threads.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm sure it does, I'm sure it does. But the originals I played played better.

Make a new thread about it. Off topic.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

No sorry, I'll air this one. We (PPS) always believed that this feature should be 'free' to LE buyers. Originally Doug had said it would be 3-4 months of work, and I pushed very hard that this should be a benefit to the LE Buyers. Since then it has taken doug many months of two people and even recently we had a fight with myself telling him that especially what everyone had gone thru on waiting for the game and the delays (which by the way were not caused by PPS), that this should be even more reason to offer this for free. Doug does not see this as I think he's far less involved in the pinball community, and this is a disappointment that he does not see this from a customer satisfaction issue when we have delivered (and yet to deliver) so late. So, you can say that Doug and PPS are of very different minds on this, where CGC has invested money in doing this far more than they thought and they are of the mind to recover it thru the customers, PPS does not see it that way, we see that it's a premium priced game and should come that way to the customer. That's about it.

Will it be a software or hardware update?

If it's software, there's ZERO WAY it won't be cracked (if it has any encryption at all)...and everyone will get it for free anyway. CGC will just look like assholes.

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

When it is available, then best time to have the debate. PPS and CGC have not really discussed further until CGC has a better plan for when it will be done, how much it will cost, etc. And I doubt we will have any more info until at least Oct when CGC has said the software might be done. As I said PPS thinks that it should be free to the LE customer, but CGC has costs for development that they want to recover. So we will see later in the year ...
rick

-They can recover it by selling MORE MMr's with the colorized graphics included.
-They can recover it by selling MORE remakes with colorized graphics, utilizing the expense that went into MMR's color.
-They can recover it when the 1000 happy MMr LE customers buy future remakes.

Charge us for an update that should be included - NONE OF THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Short term or long term plan, CGC? Make the right decision.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Doubt it will be anywhere near that low. I'm guessing they will want $400 because that's what Color DMD goes for even it it's an apples to oranges comparison. Those Arcade Legends upgrades were $300-400 each 10 years ago.

You get the HARDWARE with ColorDMD. The hardware is already in the MMr!

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

If I follow this logic then there would be nothing wrong with downloading pirated TV shows, because I'm watching them on the television hardware that I already own.

No, that would be like downloading pirated TV shows to watch on your MMr's display.

Quoted from metallik:

I played MMr at Expo last year, and can say beyond a Shadow of a doubt that my original game played better than those three. The new ones played OK, good enough for most people, but they were slower, flatter and just not as snappy. Haven't played a new one since; maybe they fixed up some things?

This has been discussed before....the MMr's at Expo had their front legs jacked up. You can't implicate a game for being set up stupidly. If you jacked up the front legs on a MM it would also play slower and flat. Also, you can change the flipper strength in the settings. You can make it shoot like a bullet if you want.

#259 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

That being said, I think it would be a wise move on their part to just absorb the costs. Offering it for free will offset some of the customer dissatisfaction due to delays, coin mechs, slingshots and whatever else might arise. Throwing the customers a bone now could pay off big time in the future.

Exactly. The 1000 buyers/pinball community are also their future customers and PR branch. If we're happy, our word of mouth will sell more MMr and future titles. If we feel like CGC is taking advantage of us - we won't recommend their games or buy them ourselves. They're fucked if they charge for this update. They ensure their future by doing what all pinball companies do: offer free code updates.

#288 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have yet to play MMr,

Come on over, neighbor(ish) !!!

#510 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

There is a header on the CPU daughter board that is an output for a standard DMD. It is clearly marked as DMD and it is the standard pinout. I asked CG about it and they said it would run a DMD. You'd have to run 5v to the DMD if it is LED, or HV if it is a standard DMD, but from what I've been told you could run a regular DMD on MMR.

Would it know what to do with the signal, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you could run an HD source into a DMD and have it displayed in dots. The MMr video output is technically an HD source for the LCD monitor, even if its display appears to be dots. I don't think it would work. It may be capable - but I don't think it would actually work.

#537 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I just felt that a "reissue" is more or less close to an original.I understand you liking LEDS and Shakers.Im really on the owners side as far as doing whatever you want to your game.

Unplug the shaker or buy a Standard - it doesn't come with it.

LED's fade like incandescent, so it's kind of a non-issue.

#571 8 years ago

Time to change the title of this thread to GOOD NEWS ON COLORIZATION!

Dragon_Before.pngDragon_Before.png

Dragon_After.pngDragon_After.png

MM_before.pngMM_before.png

MM_after.pngMM_after.png

Mob_Before.pngMob_Before.png

Mob_After.pngMob_After.png

Peasants_Before.pngPeasants_Before.png

Peasants_After.pngPeasants_After.png

#589 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Really (super) cool. Is it add on hardware or all done by the original board?

Software.

#650 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

But assuming that few, if any, existing MM owners are going to sell their and get an MMR just so they can have the newer graphics, how does limiting the market to less than 1/2 the Medieval Madness universe make sense?

Who knows if is even possible. MMr is running on entirely different hardware and software. It's a moot argument unless someone tech savvy can offer some insight as to whether this is even possible with original MM hardware.

#663 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It's not impossible - you outlined the steps necessary. It's only "impossible" if the IP can't be licensed.
I wrote a lot of code before I retired at 49. Whenever someone asked if I could do something, my answer was always "Sure, just depends how much money and/or time you have". My biggest successes were projects people called impossible.

Funny - that's what naysayers said about remaking Medieval Madness ...

Great ...this your new cause we get to hear about endlessly. If it's possible, you do it. Otherwise just accept it's a MMr feature and move on.

1 month later
#711 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Anyone ask about cost?

I did. They said they have to charge for it because it was so expensive to do - they haven't settled on a price yet, but it "won't break the bank" - sooo...speculate away lol

6 months later
#945 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The longer they wait, the more disinclined people are going to be to pay ... and it WILL get cracked. If it's not easy or feasible to do a firmware based hack, then a cheap hardware based one would almost certainly do the job.
If all this time has been spent on security measures, resulting in the delay, they're absolutely stupid.

Seriously, just flippin release it at this point, for free, and include it on all
future games. They'll probably make more by selling more MMr's factory colorized than all the money, time, and good will wasted by encrypting it (which will probably be broken by somebody in 2 seconds)

#948 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They can't do that without revising their stated agreement with the graphics studio responsible - they apparently took the job at a reduced price in return for a cut.

Give them a cut of machine sales.

Quoted from rubberducks:

But the huge delay is going result in fewer purchases of the upgrade, whether people will abstain or pirate it, and fewer new purchases of the machine.

Bingo...it's just a clusterfuck at this point, it's best to look at this long term. Giving the update out for free accomplishes:

- Customer satisfaction
.... which turns into customer loyalty & good word of mouth
.........which = more sales for MMr & future games

-Makes the current product better, which will = more sales

#950 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you really think any of these things would offset the hundreds of thousands of dollars they will lose by giving away the update for free?
Nope.

#1, no way it cost that much
#2, someone will crack it - and then it'll be free "the wrong way"

#952 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

principle I agree with you. But this isn't a long term game for these guys. Pinball people have a very short memory and it's strictly "shut up and take my money" when it comes to stuff people want.

*shrug* ...Look, I love my MMr...but I just want that update so I can be done with all this nonsense lol. I like their product, but they clearly don't know how to communicate or create any sense of customer loyalty. So be it, I don't need the next one.

#1014 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The color was never promised for free...anyone who got their game in 2016 or are still waiting should get it for free. Those who got their game early and are banging the table for it to be free for them too are just being greedy. When the price point drops we'll see how greedy CGC is too. Anything over $200 is gouging.

Even those of us who got the game on '15 ordered it in '13! Wanting a free software update for a game that already cost $8000 isn't greedy.

1 month later
#1127 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

PPS blame CGC and CGC remain silent and round and round we go.....it is inexcusable.

Well, they'll realize what a huge mistake they made when the next game doesn't sell a fraction of what MMr did.

1 week later
#1169 7 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I agree. I own it and it plays better than any original MM I've ever played. I really like the shaker. The color DMD will be icing on the cake...eventually...

I played a game on mine this morning - still plays great! But yeah...WHERE'S THE GADDAMN UPDATE!??!?!?!?!

2 weeks later
#1244 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't think colorization was even mentioned when MMr was first announced and all LE's sold out.

Yes it was...if not at Expo '13, then very early on.

#1257 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nobody was forced to buy at that point. Quite frankly, if it was just colorized dots I would expect it to be very cheap if not free...but redrawn animations at higher resolution with color? That's going to cost money.

Yes, to the company adding the feature - as part of the project budget - as it's a feature that will help them sell more games when included. Chicago Gaming has a serious issue seeing "long term picture".

Charge hundreds for a software update on a game that already cost $8000? Alienate your current customer base on a product that highly benefits from loyal customer bases....a customer base that's already fed up with you over delays and issues.

Quoted from EricHadley:

I will get it. I will like it. I won't complain

I will get it. I will like it. I won't buy another game from CGC. On principal.

#1261 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I doubt they care about the happiness quotient, only the bottom dollar.

Of course! ...they'd make more money in the long run if they included it, IMO. They'd sell more MMr's & future games. A tarnished reputation in a niche market will not be to their financial benefit.

Have MB already. Had CGC not been shady, I would have considered upgrading. I'll just stick w/ the one I have.

Had it. Sold it. No interest.

#1324 7 years ago

Simultaneous "Yay!" and "Ugh".

Thanks for the update, but remember this day as the one that cost you tons of future machine sales.

Loyalty to customers = zero = customer loyalty

#1338 7 years ago
Quoted from ArgabargaJones:

Agreed. MMR is the last purchase I'll ever make from CGC. Still not even sure they'll get another $199 from me.

It's like a parking ticket. I'm going to grumble & write the check...but then it's over. Yesterday I was actually thinking about buying a couple of those 3D translites from PPS....nah, that's $400 I'm keeping in my pocket now.

#1359 7 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Wondering this myself. I thought about getting an MMr and just checked the tail end of this thread. Was surprised people are pissed about color but I didn't read all 28 pages of the thread. Clearly I'm missing something, is it just poorly implemented, buggy or something like that? I have a few from ColorDMD and those work well, is this one not as good quality in comparison?

The game already comes with a color display. The color code is already in the game. They're charging you for a security chip to unlock what you already have. That's why people are pissed. Software upgrade shouldn't cost $200 or $400. It's a slap in the face, greedy, and short sighted.

As far as compared to ColorDMD, it's leagues ahead of it. But when you buy ColorDMD you're buying a physical new display and support. MMr owners have already purchased the physical item and support is expected...not paid DLC.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1367 7 years ago

Ah ok I gotcha. I guess it doesn't bug me because I figure you're paying for the work, like when I buy digital games on Steam. I assume it had the color display hardware but they hadn't completed all the software colorization work, and that's what the separate purchase is for. I'm ok with that, people want to get paid for their digital work after all (including me!). Hopefully this will put pressure on Stern to drop their silly red displays as well as this one looks awesome, much better than ColorDMD. I couldn't decide between an original MM or the remake, and I have to say this colorization pushes me to the remake side.

The artists should absolutely get paid. By the project budget. Not the customer that's already paid $8000. Remember, most MMr customers put a deposit down in '13. Paid in full '14. I got lucky and got my game in '15, but some are still waiting in '16. Rick originally said that the update would be free. You really think it was a good idea to charge MMr owners for this? Absolutely not. Having it included would be a great "thank you" to patient customers - sell more MMrs as an incredible feature....and sell more games in the future with customer goodwill toward PPS/CGC. They've just pulled a fast one with 1000's of potential return customers. $200/400 now or another $8000 in the future? They've chosen the former....so they've lost me as a future customer on the latter.

#1371 7 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

They actually chose to put more expensive hardware in every machine. Taking on a good deal of risk that clients will choose to unlock the better product.

What expensive hardware? LCDs in bulk are cheap. They would probably have used an LCD instead of a DMD based on that alone.

#1379 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

It took lots of time and effort to produce this, don't you think people deserve to get paid for their work?

Absolutely, Yes! I've said this 40
times already, you're selectively ignoring it. They should be paid by CGC as part of the project budget...making us pay for an update is bullshit business. Stern & JJP's programmers and artists work hard, but they don't charge us for updates. The programmers and artists are paid by their employers.

#1396 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I still say wait for it to be cracked. This is coming from a non MMr owner. Once the details of the chip are released it's open cracking season.

I don't know anything about code and encryption - but I have to imagine it's similar to the LOTR LE shaker chip....something that's just telling the machine "yay" or "nay".

#1407 7 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I hate to point out the obvious, but announcing that you are going to pay them what they want for the thing you are upset about them charging for kind of diminishes the fervor of your cause. The only message they will notice is a bunch of these kits sitting on the shelf, unsold. As it's looking they are laughing at you guys all the way to the bank.

Well as annoyed as I am - I like the game and plan on keeping it ...what am I gonna do, NOT have color? They win this round by a few hundred but lose the next one by thousands. It is what it is.

#1408 7 years ago

Ok, in that case I'm not sure why people are mad.

Read the thread. Everyone is sick of me repeating it lol.

#1413 7 years ago

Well some are saying color was promised to be free, some are saying that was never the case, so I'm totally confused.

I'll make it simple.

-Some think it should be free since it's software upgrade for hardware already paid for. The company should believe in the strength of their product, pay the artists & use the upgrade to sell more units.

-Some think it's a "mod" and the customers should directly pay the artists for making it.

Difference of opinion at the end of the day.

As for the "promise" of it being free - maybe it wasn't a promise, but Rick originally said it would be a free software update, maybe just for LE buyers. The history of what Rick has said, what CGC wants to do, the rift between them - it's all buried in this thread and other MMr threads somewhere.

#1446 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I know a lot of others who cancelled and not everyone who has an MMR will pay for an upgrade. I

See that's where this gets interesting. I really wonder how many people will pay.

-Hardcore collectors paying attention on Pinside/PPS forum will know about this. How many MMr owners are here? How many will spring?

-CGC's customer communication skills are practically zero. Many buyers will end up not even know about this upgrade.

If charging the customer to pay the artists doesn't pan out - then they've double failed, where as including it as part of the overall game package would have been a smarter business move with better long term payoff.

#1447 7 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Do you think Stern will give it for free ?

Yes, Stern gives software updates for free. These updates include new animation that Stern paid their artists for. They include new songs which Stern pays the publishers for. They include new voices which Stern pays the actors for. They've never charged the customer for updates that include things they had to pay for.

Quoted from ronaldvg:

To be clear to some of you that do not know what this is: this is NOT comparable to a ColorDMD. ColorDMD only adds color.

No, you get a monitor with your purchase. They offer free code updates. MMr already has the monitor. This is a code update.

Quoted from ronaldvg:

. modders pay happily 80 dollars for a pencil sharpener with a hole in it (jackpot mod of TZ) and this would be too expensive ????

This isn't a mod by a third party hobbyist taking their free time to create something. This is a code update by the company that made the game.

#1454 7 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

This is exactly making my point. Thank you.
I think the only thing where we disagree on is the term code update. Do you think that all the high resolution drawings were already in the Williams rom or do you think they had to redraw every frame. I think the latter.

You're proving my point Stern creates everything from scratch. They make every frame from scratch. Avengers got an update years later with new animation, created from scratch - after the game was no longer in production...and it was FREE. They didn't charge owners for this bonus...it's called product support. Almost a year after Star Trek came out, it got a code update with new voices from Karl Urban...Stern definitely paid him way after initial creation of the game, and again - didn't charge game owners for that update. Metallica got 2 extra songs about a year later. Songs aren't free. Music licensing is expensive. Game owners didn't have to pay for the update.

Speaking of which, CGC didn't have to create the original software or design for this game, so if you wanna talk about money - they saved A LOT OF IT compared to traditional pinball companies and what they have to spend to get a game into the world.

#1460 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I actually disagree with you. If they had shipped with reproduction boards that ran WPC code line for line, sure. But they had to develop a new solution, with emulation and design all of the hardware (except the BeagleBone), but there was a LOT of work required to get a WPC game running with the correct timing and emulation running on a unix-based system.
Marc

...and all those things were part of the project budget. I would never dismiss the amount of work and talent it takes to create something like this. I've just never seen a company charge extra for something that by all standards would have been part of the project budget & would be marketed as an amazing built-in aspect of this product in order to sell more units & show what they're capable of for their future products. Treating this as an after market mod is bad business.

#1467 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It was never part of the budget at the start. It's why they had no answers for years

Neither was Karl Urban for ST or the extra Metallica songs. Just sayin'

#1468 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

And I do not know what they are going to use to protect this, other than what has been stated that it's a chip of some sort. In any case, given the number of folks I had to help in PMs and emails just to get the 2.0 software installed from Mac or PC, I do believe the vast majority of pinball fans/MMR owners are not super deeply technical.
Marc

Another reason this chip solution is a bad idea. What if people fuck up their games installing it backwards or bend a pin or something? The simpler solution was always the better solution for a complex machine like this.

#1469 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

All I know is that I'm really looking forward to it!

I've been looking forward to it since I bought my MMr in '13 with its included color LCD display

#1480 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That's the odd thing about all of this. They already have the best security apparatus.... the actual remake platform. We're not talking about original MMs running these new dots. Their entire market are their existing customers.

Exactly. Just makes me wonder - as a business, what was their goal with this color update?

1. An improvement of their current (and future) product?

2. A way to make more money from current customers.

Anyway - it is what it is now. A mod.

#1513 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Agreed but the problem is MMR was pretty much done to cater to the demand/request of the collector market....Pinside was the perfect vehicle to bring it to market. The same will have to happen with AFMR if it even happens but hopefully they will be smarter....announce it then back away.......too much criticism that is not constructive for a manufacturer to deal with on here. Hopefully they have learned a lot from MMR and do much better all around with future releases. As many issues we have heard about there are some good stories as well so it's not all doom and gloom....will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

MMr was the perfect storm...it was during the whole influx of new collectors, the BBB/Tron LE/ACDC LE price rising madness, and original restored MMr's selling for $20k. New MMr for $8k seemed "cheap" and many (including myself) were throwing our money at them to order. Fast forward a few years, and we've seen 2 dead boutiques bleed hobbyists of millions, a few living boutiques making sweet new games, Stern making games people really want. There will not be a "NEED IT NOW!" fervor with an AFM or MB remake. Some sales sure....but after MMr's growing pains, even interested parties will be happy to sit it out, wait and see.

#1532 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Actually $24 with tax. The card and the adaptor to go from USB to microSD. But you know everything Flynnibus......

Overpaid...they're cheap as fuuuuuuuck on Amazon!

#1568 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah 'cause no one ever paid too much for anything to do with MM before MMr came along.

OH SNAP....yeah, I'd rather have paid $8199 for a Color-dot MMr than a penny more for an original from a flipper.

#1570 7 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

You mean $8249. Because when Rick comes out with Limited Edition MMr Plywood Bottom Wax for $50 (in the numbered, LE cans) you will have to have that as well. But that will be it, no way will you pay them any more...

Aw man, I need that fucking wax for my bottom!!! RIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1624 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I'm really surprised by the reactions to the display announcement. The pricing is the exact same price as a ColorDMD which it seems a ton of people on these boards have. I don't understand the criticism.

Then you're selectively blind. The criticism has been thoroughly explained. ColorDMD is a physical product...a mod...something a hobbyist created as an after market product. MMR colorized dots is a software update.

Quoted from Richthofen:

If you think the colorization of the dots is just an artist function you don't understand the platform and the data available to convert these dynamic pixel art representations. You need a programmer, you need testing and QA, you need an artist, etc. People scoffing at $200K have never had software developed. Find a digital agency to develop new pixel art, in a larger resolution to the originals, to fit in a software system emulating a 20 year old computing system running on a pinball machine. Oh did I mention the data was dynamic (scoring, etc) so that you can't just create the art frames, you have to detect when to display what and how. I bet the cost was $200K no problem. You have to pay for the developer and the artist and the project manager to make sure the project is delivered on time and you need to pay the QA person, etc. All for a run of what, maybe 1,000 people will buy the product. If half the people buy at the discounted LE price then you make $300,000. So you outlay $200K in development costs to collect 300K, oh and you take credit cards so 3% of that profit is erased instantly. Plus you are expending labor to ship these out and take the orders and some % of the SD cards will become corrupt in transit so you are processing some % of refunds or exchanges.
Having worked in software for 15+ years I can tell you that the reason that there are so many tech jobs unfilled is that software is complicated, there's a shortage of software workers, and its hard to get right. And it's expensive.

Yes. It requires artists & programmers. Yes, that costs money. 1000 MMRs sold @ $8000 = $8,000,000. $200k is NOTHING to create an update as part of the project budget rather than going back to customers who've bought the product and poke them for more. This update makes the product better and would sell MORE Standard games as an included feature. It would sell MORE future remakes as an included feature...and the R&D spent to create this for MMr will benefit future remakes.

#1628 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I guess I just disagree. Whether an item is a physical mod or not doesn't matter to me. Right now if you want to buy a Tesla you have to pay more to 'unlock' battery power, on a battery that's ALREADY in the car.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/5/11597508/tesla-model-s-70-battery-upgrade-pay-unlock-battery

This isn't a car. No carguments. It's a pinball machine.

Quoted from Richthofen:

This is additional content, much like almost every videogame released on a console. You pay more for more of an experience.

This isn't a $40 video game. It's a pinball machine.

Quoted from Richthofen:

Was the color display promised at the original announce?

Quoted from Richthofen:

If it was, then I am misinformed and I think the ire is justified.

You are and it is.

Quoted from Richthofen:

Someday, I am going to get an MMR, if the money gods are good to me. And I probably won't get the color upgrade because it isn't really important to me.

#1634 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Neither color dots NOR high res art were part of the initial offer - stop repeating these complete lies.

Rick's quote about it being free have been posted a million times. Not gonna be all stalky about it. It is what it is.

#1635 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Sidebar here.
Is there any reason that PPS/CGC couldn't develop the high-res dots for existing B/W machines?

Cuz MMr isn't running on a WPC'95 PCB...it's running on a Beaglebone that's emulating MM code. The new color code and how it functions is tied to that, I don't think WPC'95 would be capable of it.

#1639 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Rick's post about that being 'the goal' - is not a commitment. 2) What they ultimately decided to do, is not what was being discussed at the time (ColorDMD style color dots).
Truth of the matter is.. the product they are selling now you were not promised as part of the game. Those are the hard facts. They communicated horribly on the topic, but that doesn't change what they said, nor what they are selling now.

Stern didn't promise extra songs with Metallica. Yet, we got them - on the house! Something nice for current owners, something extra to spur new sales. There's a precedent for software updates in the pinball world. This goes against precedent. That is why there's a visceral reaction to this "DLC" style of updating.

#1645 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Look, we're talking about the company that stripped out coin mechs from the game to save $. If we say that's $10 a machine they profited over $10,000 on that alone. When they have a chance at $200,000+ profit with the color upgrade you bet your balls they will take it. To expect them to do otherwise is stupid. It's $200 for a high resolution color upgrade. It's not that bad when you compare it to an original MM with a ColorDMD. I'm not surprised by the price...or upset. If they lose asale to you in the future so be it...but you've already stated that AFM and MB are off the list to buy for you for other reasons. They've got a few years to let you recover from all the crying.

Whatevs. The only reason I'm even still posting about it is because every few pages some maniac pops in and says "I don't understand why people are upset!" because they're too lazy to read why people are upset....but, I'm over it - I'm out. If they don't understand it, that's on them to choose to be ignorant.

#1680 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I was assuming the free market established a price ceiling of $8500? Lol, is Stern seriously charging TEN GRAND for their games now? And are people actually BUYING?!

No, that's what a few douchebags are flipping the game for, to hyped up idiots with more money than sense.

#1682 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

8795 (List) for an LE

$1000 less than that in "reality pricing"

#1706 7 years ago

La lalalalala la la la la la la lalalalalalallaaaa la la la la laaaaa....

#1901 7 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I'm lost with all the bullshit and complaints?
Is color available now

Yes.

#1935 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Seriously??
They're just tossed in a loose box??

Dear PPS, these are not $200-$400 stickers.

Well, if any of them arrive busted - it won't cost them much to replace it...the $$$ is in the development, not the actual physical product.

#1976 7 years ago

BAM! I'm holding the camera and just pressing switches with my fingers - but here's a vid with lots of the animation:

#1977 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Got mine. Installed easy. Incredible color. Well worth $200. Huge addition. I never noticed one of the princesses is talking on the phone. Was that in the original dots?

Yup! All the artists based on the original dots, but just with way more detail. They didn't really add any creative gags that weren't originally there.

#1985 7 years ago

Whoa, I just defeated Battle for the Kingdom for the first time ever! There's a weird phenomenon where I play much better after installing a color display.

#1993 7 years ago

Not sure if the developers are reading this thread...but here are a few "bugs" I've found. Some can be seen in the youtube video I posted. I hope that there will be update support!

-Super Skill Shot is not colored (all white...would be fine if it was the same colors as Skill Shot)

-Multiball Madness Champion (during gameplay) is not colored

-Battle for the Kingdom scores are not colored

-Merlin's Magic: When "Destroy Castle Gate" is a choice, the text is cut off by the HD scroll graphics.

-Save the Children: This might be subjective, but this seems unfinished. It's the same as the old dots, and only two colors. I was really hoping to see this sequence with the HD art. If this isn't possible due to all the moving imagery, more than 2 colors would be appreciated

-There are a few transitions that are clunky....for example - When you get "Joust Victory", there's an image of the knight on the right of the screen - it breifly changes from the HD art to the old dots before going to the next screen.

Suggestion: I think the "Castle Exploding" animation would look much better with a night sky. The explosion FX will look way cooler.

#1995 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Those will be colored in 2017.

LOL....only $599.99 plus shipping.

#2055 7 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I've been away from pinside for a while.
Has anyone received their color upgrade?
I just received an email saying mine has shipped.

Yup. Go back a couple pages, I posted a video of mine.

#2076 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm sure PPS/Churchill will do the honorable thing here.

Do you mean Chicago Gaming Company?

#2102 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

May have something to do with frame detection and there being a score on screen.

Yeah, ColorDmd has some issues with transitions, too. However, they don't have the luxury of getting into the game's code. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice to clean things up a bit if possible...at least color the few bits they missed, and release an update.

2 weeks later
#2299 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

It's much easier to BS and schmooze over the phone.
I would consider the color software done at this point. They will not be improving it further. Rick has no control to make this happen even if he wanted to.

I heard back from CGC and they said there would be another update that includes audio & color adjustments, but it would be a while since they want all the fixes done and tested well before release. Sounds like they want the next update to be final.

1 month later
#2411 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

they need to code it to work on your specific machine.

Doubt it...how does one machine differentiate itself from another? They just need your LE # so you can claim the LE price of $199.99...then they cross you off the list so no one can also claim to have your #.

#2413 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Oh, interesting.
I was under the impression they wouldn't function of swapped across From an LE pin to any other pin.
Someone should test this

I just think it's a chip. I highly doubt they went through the trouble of doing anything to individualize LEs thru software...I doubt the upsale security chip was even on their minds when the games started production.

3 weeks later
#2458 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I think these videos illustrate what I am trying to describe.
Original MM flippers look 'tighter' whereas MMR flippers seem they are more loose. Not a flipper expert but I can feel the difference and on these videos I can see the difference.
You can see the 'wobble' of the MMR flippers. Have spoken to friends and they agree so it is not just me.
Guessing they might be built differently?
And can anything be done? AFMR is off my list if this is how flippers will be.
Original flippers.
» YouTube video
MMR.
» YouTube video

They're literally the same parts that are on a regular MMr. They're not built differently. The game allows you to set the flipper coil strength. Some report it to strong from factory so they set it lower, me personally, I felt it was too weak from factory so I set it to +3 and it feels awesome. I suggest you try to play one where the owner allows you to monkey with the flipper settings.

#2460 7 years ago

That is good to hear as you have a lot of games and comparisons. Are they B/W flippers/mechs then?

Yes. Literally everything mechanical on the game are the same parts you'd buy for a regular MM. The only thing different is the CPU/PCB system.

#2463 7 years ago

Well, that is strange and can only think the 3 MMR I have played have not been set up correctly.
Looking forward to AFMR which might be announced soon hopefully

Every Ghostbusters I've played has played like shit, but every owner will tell you theirs plays awesome. So - I dunno what to tell ya! I think my MMr plays awesome and feels like the old MM's I've played. If you're not feeling it, just get an old AFM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.