(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

the Color DMD guys get $399.00 for List Price buyers <cough>, <cough>

I know this is OT but any chance you could share wisdom (PM is OK by me if you don't want to post) on how to avoid being a "list price buyer" on a Color DMD? I've been vaguely considering one for my Shadow, but if there are bargains to be had that could tip me over the edge ...

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

I have played a lot of the original one extensively enough and have it within close proximity to see how bad the remake really is. I just don't see how anyone would want it after playing an original, it baffles me.

This is interesting, I've had exactly the opposite reaction playing (extensively) on the MM and MMR on route here in Denver. To each his own, I guess! Maybe now would be a good time for you to sell the MMR and scoop up another MM?

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have yet to play MMr, but I spoke to two friends whose opinions I value greatly who played MMr for the first time a bit more than a week ago, and their impressions were very similar to yours. Both are very familiar with how the original MM plays. It will be interesting to start getting more opinions on the differences as more MMr's are delivered by those who are very familiar with the original.

As someone who would like to pick up a second-hand MMR one day, I'm hoping that DreamTR's take (or o-din's "abomination" review, for that matter) becomes the Pinside mantra and I'm able to pick one up on the cheap in a year or two. I'm not holding my breath since the game plays great in my experience. But a man can dream.

#440 8 years ago
Quoted from mcc:

I'm working now on thumbs-downing everyone in this thread who's talking about anything other than colorization...
Edit: PM me if I made a mistake with your post and you want me to change it, there were a lot..........

You missed a few of mine, including the one that started "This is OT, but ..."

#443 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've said it before several times, and I will repeat it again: saying someone can't post an opinion because "they have no dog in the race" is one of the dumbest things posted on Pinside on a regular basis.

But is it better or worse than "no skin in the game"?

#447 8 years ago

And since we're talkin' dogs, isn't it usually either "no dog in this fight" or "no horse in this race"? Or has that been tidied up since Michael Vick made a name for himself? Maybe I'll start using "no horse in this fight."

#456 8 years ago
Quoted from mcc:

May I ask everyone to confirm I'm correct that this is the first time any pinball manufacturer, past or current, has charged for any software update ever?

Has it been confirmed as a software-only update? It seems like you could infer that from one of Rick's posts (many months of work for two people suggests coding/hand-coloring) but I didn't see where he or anyone else said definitively that no new hardware would be required.

#466 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Another thing to consider is maybe only 100-200 people will pay for the upgrade so to cover their costs they may want to charge more.

Nice! But if they go down this road, the safest bet is probably to assume they'll sell only one copy and charge $100,000 for it.

#539 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How cool would it be if PPS brought Eddy in to design the new rules?

This would be awesome (and in general, it'd be awesome if someone could get Eddy back into pinball). That said, I'm not sure MM is the game calling out for a "2.0" version, the gameplay and code are well recognized as some of the best of all time. But for other remakes down the pike, including an alternate "2.0" version (preferably with input from the original designers) could be a significant selling point.

#594 8 years ago

Looks incredible! Will be fun to see this whole thing in action. I hope they also still fix up the tearing on the existing dots for those that want to keep the old-school look (or don't want to buy this new option), but very cool to see DMD animations of this quality.

#667 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I've actually witnessed a hipster in a coffee shop using an actual manual typewriter instead of a laptop. Technology isn't for everyone

You can just come out and say it was teekee you saw with the typewriter, he won't mind. I hear he also has an impressive collection of original mimeograph machines.

6 months later
#730 8 years ago
Quoted from Flake:

They're no longer giving dates. " CGC has learned that while everyone wants promises and pushes for dates, that there is so much involved that they cannot set expectations and meet them".

This is still a relatively discrete animation project, right? The kind of project that a couple of experienced animators could do in a month or three, rather than multiple years worth of work? I legitimately don't know the answer to that, maybe there's something particularly complex about DMD+, it just seems like there can't be that many frames to do compared to say a 5 minute animated short, and DMD+ is still much smaller and less detailed than TV/film animation. Maybe it's all hardware issues?

#849 8 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

You are asking this question to a company that is more than a year into production and still hasn't shipped all the LE's that they were paid for years ago.

They still haven't shipped 'em all, but it's not clear that CGC was paid more than a $1000 down-payment years ago. According to Rick, some distributors may have called in full payment early and sat on the cash rather than sending it to CGC.

#853 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is funny, that each setback - major or minor - results in loud pledges that the pre-order model is dead. Yet I suspect Rick is right.
People can't help themselves. And it's more than just "I better pre-order lest they sell out!" I think it's that shot of euphoria people get from "owning" something that doesn't exist and likely won't for years.
Personally I just stick to drugs and meaningless sex for that excitement, but it's not for everybody.

I see you got the immediate o-din thumbs-up -- I'm assuming he skipped right to the last line of your post!

2 weeks later
#929 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

It almost seems at this point like it's going to be used to rejuvenate the interest in MMR standards once all of the LEs are delivered

This would be logical but might be giving CGC too much credit. They really seem to be bumbling about at this point.

1 week later
#1008 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Been into pinball a LLLOONGG time,no need to troll,but I will speak my mind regarding all things pinball.
Heres my take:MMr is a fiasco.

Have you played it? It plays great! The fiasco is with CGC/PPS's handling of predictable customer complaints. They clearly have minimal interest in cultivating future business by treating their customers well. But the game itself plays great.

#1009 7 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

MMr is pretty damn awesome, the way CGC handles things and the speed of progress is a fiasco

Took the words right out of my mouth!

2 weeks later
#1073 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

ColorDMD was revolutionary. This is evolutionary. Higher-res is pretty cool, but the first step from mono to color was the true game changer IMHO.

I guess you could argue about whether it's a bigger deal to color in the old dots, or completely redo the animation in high-res color. Both are cool enhancements, but technically neither is a "game changer" (you don't play the display, right?) Regardless, when CGC/PPS get around to making it available, the new animation will be a nice option for people that bought into MMR.

#1075 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are taking "game-changing" a little literally here.
And surprisingly you didn't have anything to say about it being called "revolutionary," when in fact no political leaders or kings are being overthrown.

What about the King of Payne?

3 weeks later
#1123 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

there lies the problem I think.

Quoted from o-din:

Are you sure their lies aren't the problem?

Isn't the problem determining if they're lies or not?

1 week later
#1160 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What a joke, I played both an original and a remake just recently at the RMPS and the remake played like shit. Granted the colorDMD makes the original look awesome, but shouldn't the newer game play better. Just baffles me how they charge so much for these games and fail to deliver a quality product.

Give the MMR at 1Up Colfax a try. IMO it plays great, a bit better even than the well-loved original MM at 1Up Lodo (which is still a nice game and lots of fun to play, but mylar and lifted troll "lids" lead to some unpredictable ball movement). Sounds like the MMR at RMPS may have had issues or been poorly adjusted?

#1168 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

won't get many positive revues.

Negative revues are the absolute worst. You go in expecting light theatrical entertainment consisting of a series of short sketches, songs, and dances, typically dealing satirically with topical issues, and instead ...

#1172 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The MMR played fine at RMPS. It was just set up a little tough.

Sadly I wasn't there myself to see! Was super-bummed to miss RMPS again this year, somehow we're always out of town that weekend. In any event, I'd still recommend trying the one at 1Up Colfax in Denver before drawing conclusions about MMR gameplay. That one plays great.

2 weeks later
#1564 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

So glad to see the term 'refake' is making a comeback!

And to think I was about to warn Zitt to get off your lawn

#1626 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I'm really surprised by the reactions to the display announcement. The pricing is the exact same price as a ColorDMD which it seems a ton of people on these boards have. I don't understand the criticism. If you think the colorization of the dots is just an artist function you don't understand the platform and the data available to convert these dynamic pixel art representations. You need a programmer, you need testing and QA, you need an artist, etc. People scoffing at $200K have never had software developed. Find a digital agency to develop new pixel art, in a larger resolution to the originals, to fit in a software system emulating a 20 year old computing system running on a pinball machine. Oh did I mention the data was dynamic (scoring, etc) so that you can't just create the art frames, you have to detect when to display what and how. I bet the cost was $200K no problem. You have to pay for the developer and the artist and the project manager to make sure the project is delivered on time and you need to pay the QA person, etc. All for a run of what, maybe 1,000 people will buy the product. If half the people buy at the discounted LE price then you make $300,000. So you outlay $200K in development costs to collect 300K, oh and you take credit cards so 3% of that profit is erased instantly. Plus you are expending labor to ship these out and take the orders and some % of the SD cards will become corrupt in transit so you are processing some % of refunds or exchanges.
Having worked in software for 15+ years I can tell you that the reason that there are so many tech jobs unfilled is that software is complicated, there's a shortage of software workers, and its hard to get right. And it's expensive.

All valid points, if Rick hadn't strongly implied that the update would be free for LE purchasers. Manage expectations, they say. When you actively mismanage expectations, you get threads like this.

1 week later
#1790 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

PPS in fact make nothing out of these $199 kits
They pay for them, pack them take all the crap for them, ship them etc
They don't make them

Is this confirmed? Has Rick stated PPS is selling them at the same cost purchased from CHC?

3 weeks later
#2220 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

yes, of course because lying on customs forms which is illegal is the right thing to do ...

While you're here, any word on whether the issue with specific frames of original animation "sneaking through" is a known issue at CGC, and are there plans to address it (or is it not really fixable, as some have suggested)?

1 week later
#2350 7 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

My customers don't get on a message board and repeat and/or complain about the same issue ad nauseum. What is the point of that...Your mama told you that the squeaky wheel gets the grease? I'd call it being a nuisance. Why create unnecessary drama and stress in everyone's life? Follow the proper protocol and be done with it.

As a manufacturer of goods it may sound like a nuisance to you to have customers sharing their complaints online. But if the "proper protocol" is not established and then adhered to by the manufacturer, then "be done with it" is poor advice for customers that actually want something done.

It sounds like you've developed a support system where your customers trust that a) if something is reported through a ticket, it will be addressed, and b) if it's not addressed quickly enough for their taste, they can call you and you will work with them directly. Presumably that trust was earned by your past performance in response to support requests. What leads you to believe that CGC has earned that level of trust from its customers?

Also, this one isn't CGC's fault, but anyone that uses the phrase "big boy pants" in any context other than a conversation with a potty-training two year old has only himself to blame when he is taken for a moron.

#2368 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I'm guessing he was being facetious.

Which beats fatuous any day.

2 months later
#2467 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I want an AFMR because of the new HD dots - that is the USP.
As long as it plays fast then that will be good enough for me......if the price is right

Sounds like you should wait and play AFMR before you buy. I've put in a fair amount of time on MMR and didn't notice a difference in play other than no distortion of ball movement in the MMR due to lifted trolls and Mylar as on the MM on route here. But it's your money, so the only thing you should worry about is your opinion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 45.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.95
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 64.99
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.