(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 8 years ago

Is the dew officially off the XXr train yet?

Buy an original. We know they work. No broken promises. No stupid issues. No pie in the sky.

Been enjoying my AFM 9 months and counting with spectacular color DMD...keep waiting on those AFMrs.....

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'm sure most of us have figured this out by now, but if we stop buying things before they're ready to ship, little surprises like this will no longer be possible.

Pie in the Sky Pinball inc.

Any word on how much the "tear repair" code update is gonna cost?

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Thanks for the quote; Love it.
"likely" and "this is the goal" kind of contradicts "it will be an free LE upgrade".

MMr buyers really were promised nothing - tons of wiggle room in those statements and it really should have been obvious to everyone. It's the same old bullshit...if it's not in writing, just assume worst case scenario. I've been around long enough to know you can never assume anything else. That being said it kinda blows...as we've seen time and time again people with money to burn and unbridled enthusiasm in this hobby are simply always being set up for some kind of con. People want to believe and then they get screwed, over and over. It sucks to see really.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

9k remakes make sense for roughly one pin...MM. Nice condition originals were north of 13k before MMr was announced. When you save 4-5k, the business model makes sense (even if it isn't quite as wonderful as the original...). Doesn't make sense for AFM or MB.
If street price for a B/W remake isn't equal to or less than the price of a NIB Stern Pro, it's hard to make sense of. MMr is only a game...MM is a game and a collectable.

Cactus canyon, bash, Big Bang...can't think of anything else that makes sense.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Non pinheads could care less about CC/BBB and most pinheads don't love the gameplay. With MM, it seems like almost everyone was smitten.

There are a LOT Of pinheads now, and they aren't all here. There are also new buyers all time who do their homework QUICK even if they are buying their first and only game and can get caught up in hype. Google Cactus Canyon or BBB and I think even someone "not in the know" would figure it out quick that those are very sought after.

I don't think you need to sell 2,000 - 1,000 will do fine and they could move the super rare A-list titles like CC and BBB. Just a hunch.

#240 8 years ago

Unmistakably. Just goes to show the Cargument transcends all generations.

#252 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The coils are the same as the old game, right?
Put them on 11 and they'll be super strong... til the first good multiball or two... they will soon overheat and become limp noodles. A WMS -29 coil can only dissipate so much heat without active cooling, and anything more than the original drive strength will overheat them pretty quickly. Go ahead and try it, any MMR owner, and let us know how it goes.
The only way you get a stronger flip is to increase the voltage, or increase the 'on' time for the primary winding. I strongly suspect they're implementing the latter approach, which simply won't work past a certain point. If they're actually adjusting the voltage up when that strength is changed, that may work w/o overheating, but that would require an adjustable power supply and logic to change the voltage.

I too am curious how this super hi-tech new system is able to significantly vary the power of the same old coils and flipper parts with no ill effects.

#349 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That would be ironic, because last time it was Stern that licensed the Bally electronics board sets in order to instill confidence in operators who were assured they were buying into a known system.

They "licensed" that system? I thought Stern just reverse engineered and stole the Bally system, similar to what they did later with DE and System 11.

#397 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Stern did indeed license it, as part of the settlement of a lawsuit brought on by Bally against Stern Electronics/URL.

That's how I thought it went down too. The ole sue and license.

#407 8 years ago

Everybody had skin in every game on pinside. So stop saying otherwise!!!

7 months later
#734 8 years ago

Sounds like the natives are starting to get restless.

Better release another 10 second clip of color animations to chill everyone out for another 6 months.

#739 8 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

What is the general consensus on the upgrade cost to colorization? I say $199...I also say it should be $0.00 for LE owners!

I predict $300. Low enough that it costs less than a standard color DMD upgrade for an old school MM, but high enough that it will still piss everybody off.

Nobody is getting any LE discounts clearly.

#744 8 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

I second that...No way I will pay more than a CDMD cost for a software update...That would be highway robbery and I would leave my game as-is

True.

But you WOULD pay $300 - while being a little pissed about it - right?

#750 8 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

Everyone got super excited when a limited run of 1000 LE's was announced.
Then the announcement of unlimited standards killed it.
So why not give a free color upgrade to LE owners as at the minute there doesn't seem to be a clear distinction between LE and standard?

Because they don't have to. Plenty will pay for the upgrade.

#777 8 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Lots of tough talk on here. I will be very impressed if someone on here declines to purchase the upgrade on basis of principle. But I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm not trying to be self-righteous, just realistic. I'm as bad as anyone about overpaying for upgrades.
Geez, I think Levi is starting to rub off on me.....

If I can turn just ONE person here into a cynical asshole, I think I've done my job!

And yeah, ain't nobody turning down this upgrade. $300 - book it!

You've already paid $8,000 and been jerked around on numerous delays and a smattering of QC issues with some questionable customer relations...and THIS is the line in the sand you are gonna draw- denying yourself what looks like a pretty sweet upgrade? Ain't gonna happen. I know it. You know it. And most importantly they know it. Pony up folks!

#779 8 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I promise I will not buy the upgrade....if it is not free, I won't buy another pin either.

You really don't have to. Any resold MMRs, I really feel like sellers will take a loss on this upgrade.

If you don't want to pay the money, let the next owner deal with it.

#782 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm balls deep on MMR, but how the color upgrade is handled will affect whether I buy another remake. With the real money on machine sales, it always seemed odd for them to nickel and dime (relatively speaking) on the color upgrade.

$200 X 1,000 = $200,000.

Extrapolate + or - from there. We aren't talking about peanuts in any case.

#789 8 years ago

I'm sure they are doing the colorization as a "thank you" for customers who are all pissed off that it isn't free, and were not driven by padding profits.

Yeah...that's the ticket.

#831 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No question. If the color was never promised to LE owners in the first place, then it would be expected, as with all software. But to promise colour is included on Le's, then to go back on your word, then to spend time and money to ensure those same LE buyers MUST pay for it, goes a significant way to ensuring CGC have totally f****d any good-will they had with their early adopter customers and the pinball community at large.

The Color was NEVER promised in any way shape or form, at least for free. Some vague optimistic hints were dropped, but I think we all know if it isn't in writing you can assume it's nonsense. Which of course it turned out to be.

Nobody is being expected to pay for anything were actually promised for free.

This is a lesson that will be forgotten about 20 times in the pinball hobby this year.

#833 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Why mention it at all if not trying to use it as a selling point to get more pre-order dollars?

I think you answered your own question there.

Obviously "at this time" means "it ain't gonna be free, suckers." Not a broken promise there, just meaningless hype.

#852 8 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

When Rick started having talk about announcing game #2 I reminded him that he had stated several times there would be no more pre-ordering of games which had led to so much backlash on MMr. He politely informed me that this was the way the pinball business works now and if people didn't want the game they were free to not order one. So if you are expecting them to factor in shipping realities into their "when should we start accepting money for the color upgrade" business model I expect there will be an additional round of frustration coming everyone's way...

It is funny, that each setback - major or minor - results in loud pledges that the pre-order model is dead. Yet I suspect Rick is right.

People can't help themselves. And it's more than just "I better pre-order lest they sell out!" I think it's that shot of euphoria people get from "owning" something that doesn't exist and likely won't for years.

Personally I just stick to drugs and meaningless sex for that excitement, but it's not for everybody.

#869 8 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Having worked in a factory for over 20 years I think I can answer this one. The black came from dirt, which is commonly found in most factories. The dirt transfers to people's hands, and then to the product that is being produced. Line guys do not spend a lot of time washing their hands during their shift, and likely aren't overly worried about getting hand prints on the bottom of your expensive game.

Lol

"Dirt huh? Likely story!!!"

Love how the poor guy posted these pics in two different threads to show off his new toy and all anybody wants to talk about is how filthy it is. Curse you Internet!!!

2 weeks later
#927 8 years ago

There's nothing to be gained by releasing the color update or announcing the price any time soon.

There's nothing to be gained by announcing game #2 anytime soon.

The learning curve around here is very, very slow.

1 week later
#949 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Give them a cut of machine sales.

Bingo...it's just a clusterfuck at this point, it's best to look at this long term. Giving the update out for free accomplishes:
- Customer satisfaction
.... which turns into customer loyalty & good word of mouth
.........which = more sales for MMr & future games
-Makes the current product better, which will = more sales

So you really think any of these things would offset the hundreds of thousands of dollars they will lose by giving away the update for free?

Nope.

#951 7 years ago

In principle I agree with you. But this isn't a long term game for these guys. Pinball people have a very short memory and it's strictly "shut up and take my money" when it comes to stuff people want in today's wacky market.

Intangibles like "word of mouth" and "customer goodwill" are worth a lot less to these guys than the $300 a pop they'll get with color sales on virtually every mmr they sold - regardless of
How annoyed anybody is.

#1015 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Even those of us who got the game on '15 ordered it in '13! Wanting a free software update for a game that already cost $8000 isn't greedy.

Look, I know a weasel when I see it, and clearly, they left themselves the smallest amount of wiggle room in their original statements on color.

But you can't blame eager people for thinking it was in the bag when they said "at this time the goal is to have the color update be free for all buyers!"

It was never in writing or explicitly promised and people really should have assumed it was hype, but they clearly led people on.

#1025 7 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I think everyone will be pretty happy to have those new dots as long as they aren't silly with the price. A decent discount to to LE owners will definitely help.

I've already done the math for you. It will be $250-300.

Enough to piss everybody off, but not enough to dissuade people from rationalizing it.

2 weeks later
#1071 7 years ago

Correct. The game has hardly been changed. This is more like adding 10 yards to kickoffs, or changing the challenge rules.

Also, can't help but mention the game, while being unchanged, is still unavailable. So you can't get into the game, you have no idea when tickets will be available, and you certainly don't know what they will cost.

#1074 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I guess you could argue about whether it's a bigger deal to color in the old dots, or completely redo the animation in high-res color. Both are cool enhancements, but technically neither is a "game changer" (you don't play the display, right?) Regardless, when CGC/PPS get around to making it available, the new animation will be a nice option for people that bought into MMR.

You are taking "game-changing" a little literally here.

And surprisingly you didn't have anything to say about it being called "revolutionary," when in fact no political leaders or kings are being overthrown.

#1076 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What about the King of Payne?

That's not real life!!!!!!

#1084 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I hope not since you already bought the hardware. If they price this wrong it could be a huge shot in the foot. I'm sure they cut a deal for a certain amount to the artists. But now they need to resist the urge to leave no money on the table.

They can charge $250-300 and will have plenty of takers. Very few will boycott. We can all feign outrage but at this point it's time to stop pretending people won't cough it up.

1 month later
#1529 7 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Well some are saying color was promised to be free, some are saying that was never the case, so I'm totally confused.

It was "nudge-nudge wink wink" promised for free - not a promise but an optimistic statement with tons of wiggle room. People heard what they wanted to hear which was "it'll be free!"

If it isn't in writing, it isn't a promise. People are disappointed but they really should have known better.

2 weeks later
#1849 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Why are people preordering color? It doesn't make any sense. Wait until Dec when chicago gaming is actually ready to ship it.

People simply cannot help themselves when it comes to "pre-buying." Whether it's presale buying shitty concert tickets now when better ones will be available later, or pre-ordering something like a $400 "color DMD update" or the latest Katy Perry album, there's just something innate in the consumer subconscious that is satisfied by having SOMETHING in hand, when in fact they don't actually have anything. Spending the money and securing a "spot" satisfies the need to immediate perceived need to possess something, while at the same time lending weight to the fantasy of a brave new future with limitless potential - allowing the mind to wander to exotic and exciting places.

As consumers, we have more instant gratification options than ever and as such we've created a need to be instantly gratified. There's a rush of consumer endorphins that floods the mind of someone who places something they can't actually have no into their cart and hits submit.

The fact is though, someone who has pre-ordered a color DMD update, and someone like me who has not nor will ever buy it, both "own" exactly the same thing tangible thing. But I didn't pay $400 for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.