(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 50.
#1551 7 years ago

For $199 could they at least ship it free, it cost $2.45 to send a small business envelope so adding in shipping is just another way for them to make some extra money when they will probably charge me $9.95 for it. I will bend over for it this time but thank god I already own an original AFM so it may be awhile before they get to bend me over again. Not happy and glad this is coming to an end and my end for a long while.

#1552 7 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

it may be awhile before they get to bend me over again.

miscellaneous-bend_over-bending_over-name-introduction-introducing-bfrn274_low_(resized).jpgmiscellaneous-bend_over-bending_over-name-introduction-introducing-bfrn274_low_(resized).jpg

#1553 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Answer this...
Yet it still took them more than 10 months to get this trivial work done. Resolve that one....

Lazy. Not customer oriented. Take ur pick

#1554 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Lazy. Not customer oriented. Take ur pick

Excuses that would make sense if it were simply a 'free' update they needed to do, but were dragging their feet. But this is something they had to pay someone to create, and are waiting to collect lots (probably 100k+) in revenue.

If its so trivial.. and you are going to get 100+k in money for doing it... things aren't lining up.

#1555 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Most of us went out and bought a new card.

Having the first as a spare won't hurt. The one coming with the colorization you might want to save and not format and use for any other updates.

LTG : )

#1556 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Excuses that would make sense if it were simply a 'free' update they needed to do, but were dragging their feet. But this is something they had to pay someone to create, and are waiting to collect lots (probably 100k+) in revenue.
If its so trivial.. and you are going to get 100+k in money for doing it... things aren't lining up.

You don't think this "free" update is built into the 8K purchase price making the $200-$400 nothing more than gravy?

#1557 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You are entitled to your opinion.
Simply put; this is yet another attempt for PPS and CGC to extract more blood from the turnip.
I for one hope they never do another Refake.... because; well... I'm just tired of seeing the little people getting screwed.

I am absolutely NOT surprised that they're price point is at the same cost as ColorDMD ... with a fraction of the cost. It just confirms that they are who I thought they were... by squeezing every bit of money they can from you poor refake buyers.

#1558 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Simply put; this is yet another attempt for PPS and CGC to extract more blood from the turnip.
I for one hope they never do another Refake.... because; well... I'm just tired of seeing the little people getting screwed.
I am absolutely NOT surprised that they're price point is at the same cost as ColorDMD ... with a fraction of the cost. It just confirms that they are who I thought they were... by squeezing every bit of money they can from you poor refake buyers.

The little people that bought the refakes can probably decide for themselves how they want to spend their money. Thanks for looking out though. Condescension is so pleasant. Thanks to you and all the big people us little people see how foolish we are in how we spend our money, you guys are the best. SMFH.

#1559 7 years ago

folks, stop acting like or treating MMR buyers like victims.

#1560 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Sure... but that's not really what the posts were about. Others were saying how this work is so trivial and could have been hammered out by monkees in no time flat.. and as you say, these are selfish, money grubbing guys... yet it takes them 10+months to satisfy their own need??

The point is, the job isn't as some were painting it to be.

I've believed all along this will be a value added feature... and fully expected them to charge a large amount for it. So no surprise to me... especially once they teased the art rework. It was a slam dunk at that point that this would be a paid option. The only question was 'when, and how much'. At least we have one of those answers now

#1561 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

It's just that everybody that didn't get one is so jealous...

#1562 7 years ago

Maybe the best course of action is to see what the colorized option looks like when it's released and then make an objective determination for yourselves if you think it's worth it or not. I am sure that folks who opt to buy it will post videos and have opinions that will help everyone.

Thankfully MMR today is awesome. It looks like it gets to be more awesomer (yes, making up a word today) in full 16-bit color.

Marc

#1563 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I for one hope they never do another Refake...

Quoted from TaylorVA:

The little people that bought the refakes can probably decide for themselves how they want to spend their money.

Quoted from Zitt:

by squeezing every bit of money they can from you poor refake buyers.

So glad to see the term 'refake' is making a comeback!

#1564 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

So glad to see the term 'refake' is making a comeback!

And to think I was about to warn Zitt to get off your lawn

#1565 7 years ago

I guess I have to wonder if this super deal of $199 is only available to the original LE owners. According to the terms, CGC must verify the owner matches the serial #.

#1566 7 years ago

MMR Owners Lives Matter!

#1567 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

extract more blood from the turnip

Yeah 'cause no one ever paid too much for anything to do with MM before MMr came along.

#1568 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah 'cause no one ever paid too much for anything to do with MM before MMr came along.

OH SNAP....yeah, I'd rather have paid $8199 for a Color-dot MMr than a penny more for an original from a flipper.

#1569 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OH SNAP....yeah, I'd rather have paid $8199 for a Color-dot MMr than a penny more for an original from a flipper.

You mean $8249. Because when Rick comes out with Limited Edition MMr Plywood Bottom Wax for $50 (in the numbered, LE cans) you will have to have that as well. But that will be it, no way will you pay them any more...

#1570 7 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

You mean $8249. Because when Rick comes out with Limited Edition MMr Plywood Bottom Wax for $50 (in the numbered, LE cans) you will have to have that as well. But that will be it, no way will you pay them any more...

Aw man, I need that fucking wax for my bottom!!! RIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1571 7 years ago

You can keep the wax in the medicine cabinet... right next to the vaseline.

#1572 7 years ago

This entire thread is a lesson in customer value and how companies destroy that value.

#1573 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

This entire thread is a lesson in customer value and how companies destroy that value.

There's no lesson here. As soon as they announce the next remake, all this will be forgotten.

And as Teekee would say, SEND MORE MONEY NOW!!!!!!

#1574 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Agreed, and a second lesson from the very same thread is how trolling works on the internet. Some of these guys are dedicated.

#1575 7 years ago
Quoted from ArgabargaJones:

Agreed, and a second lesson from the very same thread is how trolling works on the internet.

That same troll got a bunch of people to spend another $200 on something they already thought they were getting for free!

Lesson three. Some people will defend these con artists until their hemorrhoids are begging for forgiveness.

#1576 7 years ago

Yeah...the whole MMR process has been good and bad. At initial offering a brand new MMR at 8K sounded wonderful. High end restorations go for more so for a number of people it sounded like an excellent opportunity to get one BRAND NEW. Awesome deal right.....well as we have watched it unfold it's had its ups and downs but the games are being built and many people are happy.

Now given the recent surge in prices and more options for people to spend pinball dollars on I don't think the remakes will sell as well unless they make them more attractive by dropping prices to compete. If the next ones are AFM and later MB prices will have to be $5Kish and they can sell a ton of units. Many of us have played plenty of MM, AFM, MB etc. without owning it. These are not new titles and it is a little bit of human nature to want the newest games with new features. Unless you are wanting collector quality/mint examples of AFM/MB both of those games can be found for $8K and under if you are patient....AFM closer to $5K-$6K which I passed on a couple of them. MB a little higher. Before MMR heavily routed original MM seemed to sell for at least $8K. Only CGC/PPS know the cost per unit and target profit they need to hit....the tough decision will be price high and sell fewer units or price low and hope to sell a ton....tough call if the next titles from Stern, JJP, etc are good.

Will be interesting to see price point for future remakes and if color DMD is built into the price.

#1577 7 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Has anyone unlocked it yet? I have an le and 199 seems ok not great but worth it imo.

depends on how you define "unlocked"

#1578 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess I have to wonder if this super deal of $199 is only available to the original LE owners. According to the terms, CGC must verify the owner matches the serial #.

i was shipped the wrong trim packaged MMR/LE. so wonder if I've got someone else's machine & they have mine, meaning neither will/can purchase.

#1579 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Yeah...the whole MMR process has been good and bad. At initial offering a brand new MMR at 8K sounded wonderful. High end restorations go for more so for a number of people it sounded like an excellent opportunity to get one BRAND NEW. Awesome deal right.....well as we have watched it unfold it's had its ups and downs but the games are being built and many people are happy.
Now given the recent surge in prices and more options for people to spend pinball dollars on I don't think the remakes will sell as well unless they make them more attractive by dropping prices to compete. If the next ones are AFM and later MB prices will have to be $5Kish and they can sell a ton of units. Many of us have played plenty of MM, AFM, MB etc. without owning it. These are not new titles and it is a little bit of human nature to want the newest games with new features. Unless you are wanting collector quality/mint examples of AFM/MB both of those games can be found for $8K and under if you are patient....AFM closer to $5K-$6K which I passed on a couple of them. MB a little higher. Before MMR heavily routed original MM seemed to sell for at least $8K. Only CGC/PPS know the cost per unit and target profit they need to hit....the tough decision will be price high and sell fewer units or price low and hope to sell a ton....tough call if the next titles from Stern, JJP, etc are good.
Will be interesting to see price point for future remakes and if color DMD is built into the price.

Yes.. a lower price

#1580 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i was shipped the wrong trim packaged MMR/LE. so wonder if I've got someone else's machine & they have mine, meaning neither will/can purchase.

If not, you can still opt for the deluxe $399 version.

#1581 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If not, you can still opt for the deluxe $399 version.

i'd probably get shipped the wrong colors on the SD card too

#1582 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i'd probably get shipped the wrong colors on the SD card too

Yeah....the real LE Black and White color animations....

Don't feel bad....Charlie Brown got a rock and you got a MM....oops sorry....

Just kidding... MMR is a great game...enjoy playing in our league.

#1583 7 years ago

Is the MMR LE still Available? If so from Who?

#1584 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think the buyers are doing a pretty good job by themselves.

#1585 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Possibly. There may be dealers holding on to a few and there seem to be plenty coming up for sale used. We have 14 standards coming in hopefully soon.

#1586 7 years ago

This does work out in the favor of the original LE buyers. This $199 investment raises the value of their machines almost $400.

Of course if somebody buys one second hand that doesn't have the update, they could offer say $300 more to have the original owner install it, instead of the $400 it will cost them.

So LE owners get a good deal and CGC sells as many of these as they can. Win win for all!

#1587 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

http://www.theplaydiumstore.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=PIN-30-MEDIEVALMADLE-N-Co-0001

Still 5 LE golds listed in stock.
$12,295 CDN
=
$9366 US

That's their online list price. Doesn't mean that's what you would pay.

1-1/2 hr drive from Niagara falls border.

#1588 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Paying a couple of high quality artists to click color pixels is very cheap labor, sometimes it can even be had next to free. Especially for a chance to work in the game industry (insert drooling artist pic).

You describe the ColorDMD business model, who also happens to charge $400 per game. The MMr colorization is a 4x resolution artwork upgrade for that or less. If you can produce the technology and hire artists to produce a similar artwork upgrade for all DMD games at less than the $400 price point, please do, we'll all be waiting to send you money for it.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It was "nudge-nudge wink wink" promised for free - not a promise but an optimistic statement with tons of wiggle room. People heard what they wanted to hear which was "it'll be free!"
If it isn't in writing, it isn't a promise. People are disappointed but they really should have known better.

There was never a promise for free upgrade... the closest was this: there was no initial pricing, and so everyone hoped that meant free, but that's not a "nudge nudge wink wink" thing.

#1589 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

(probably 100k+) in revenue.

$1000 LEs @ $200= $200,000
500+ standards @ $400 = $200,000 +
Grand total if all MMr get color eventually. With more than likely they will = $400,000+
Discount to LE customers my ass.
That's what doesn't add up.

I understand they are a business and want to make money. But these numbers are a big FU in the eyes of customers who waited years (and some still waiting) and dealt with issue after issue.

It is the customers who locked their money in, that got this project off the ground.

To me this just says thanks for the money. Give us more. Because we know you will.

It's unfortunate because the machine is great.
Amazing actually. And reading through all this drama, trolls etc about MMr actually taints the machine a bit.

Or was that the trolls plan all along?

#1590 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

$1000 LEs @ $200= $200,000
500+ standards @ $400 = $200,000 +
Grand total if all MMr get color eventually. With more than likely they will = $400,000+
Discount to LE customers my ass.

Hence the Plus at the end of my number

I doubt they will get 100% attach rate... and I doubt they'll really sell a ton of standards. That's why my number was basically 50% attach rate on LEs plus whatever sales on standards or greater than 50% attach on LEs. I didn't need to be aggressive with my estimate to make the point

#1591 7 years ago

If it took an expert programmer 2 years at a salary of $200,000 a year then they will be lucky to break even.

#1592 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Hence the Plus at the end of my number
I doubt they will get 100% attach rate... and I doubt they'll really sell a ton of standards. That's why my number was basically 50% attach rate on LEs plus whatever sales on standards or greater than 50% attach on LEs. I didn't need to be aggressive with my estimate to make the point

I think they eventually will get s 100% attach rate. And they know it. As pins change hands new owners will want the color mod. And unless it eventually gets pirated anyone that wants it, will have to buy it from them.

Maybe not immediately but years from now every MMr built will have paid color.
That's Pinball.

And that's their plan. Continuous small increments of revenue for years to come.

I won't be surprised if they don't do this for every remake. If they continue to do remakes.

#1593 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

CGC has told me the color upgrade does include the SD card with the updated software.

yeah were gonna complain about buying a sd card and now getting another one with update,how bout ya knock 20$ off the 199$ for us seeing as pps or cgc cant tell us b4hand via simple communication, which either company seem to severely lack.its a matter of principle and good business

#1594 7 years ago

Your gibberish is easier to read than his.

#1595 7 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

For $199 could they at least ship it free, it cost $2.45 to send a small business envelope so adding in shipping is just another way for them to make some extra money when they will probably charge me $9.95 for it. I will bend over for it this time but thank god I already own an original AFM so it may be awhile before they get to bend me over again. Not happy and glad this is coming to an end and my end for a long while.

let us know what they end up charging for the shipping.

#1596 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If it took an expert programmer 2 years at a salary of $200,000 a year then they will be lucky to break even.

LOL, this doesn't take an "expert programmer" it takes a digital artist who is good with low res pixel art (hi res in comparison to regular DMD though). They should not be making anywhere near $200k and if someone was working on this for 40+ hours a week it would not take a year.

#1597 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

LOL, this doesn't take an "expert programmer" it takes a digital artist who is good with low res pixel art (hi res in comparison to regular DMD though). They should not be making anywhere near $200k and if someone was working on this for 40+ hours a week it would not take a year.

Actually the deal on this (from memory from something deep in one of these threads...) was that they cut a deal with the company that did the colorization for a percentage of sales of the upgrade. At least that is what I'm remembering. I'm guessing that deal would carry forward to other titles they will make, hence the incentive for that other company. So that business model would have not allowed them to give this away for free.

The fact is not every pinball buyer is as connected as the folks that come here. There will be a great many machines that are owned by well to do but not Internet savvy folks that will never know about this upgrade. Those same machines will also be running the original version of code, probably for the life of the machine. So even after 10 years on the market the saturation rate of sales will never approach 100%, but I agree they will continue to sell these at a small trickle.

#1598 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

You describe the ColorDMD business model, who also happens to charge $400 per game. The MMr colorization is a 4x resolution artwork upgrade for that or less. If you can produce the technology and hire artists to produce a similar artwork upgrade for all DMD games at less than the $400 price point, please do, we'll all be waiting to send you money for it.

There was never a promise for free upgrade... the closest was this: there was no initial pricing, and so everyone hoped that meant free, but that's not a "nudge nudge wink wink" thing.

wish i had the time, it would be fun. but i also don't have interest in competing with Randy

note: colorDMD includes a large piece of hardware & cable.

#1599 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

wish i had the time, it would be fun. but i also don't have interest in competing with Randy
note: colorDMD includes a large piece of hardware & cable.

Hardware costs are less than half the price of ColorDMD, making the $200 MMr LE price on par with ColorDMD... But a better end result. I'm still at a loss what everyone is still biching about.

#1600 7 years ago

I got so excited when I found this thread. But once again its not out yet, incredible business practices. Worst company ever

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 64.99
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization/page/32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.