(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 50.
#1501 7 years ago

It would be nice if they released colorized dots using the original graphics for free and let the enhanced dots be a purchased upgrade. When I heard free colorization I was expecting something like what ColorDMD has done.

#1502 7 years ago
Quoted from pmppk:

Not sad that that they did, but sad that they had to. Blame the guys that are still coming here to state their intention to steal this as soon as they can figure out how to.

If CGC/PPS had managed it differently they could have avoided this whole mess. They own the platform so it cannot be copied. Simply pricing the key to unlock it a little more reasonable would have avoided a lot of drama and most everyone would pay. $150-$200 for everyone and call it done. Still expensive but cheap enough people will pay and make it not worth the time/effort for someone to hack it. Furthermore if they really wanted to protect it, it would be a separate download with purchase of key. The fact that the color code is already included in the code means they really have no control. This means someone may figure out how to open the Pandora's box. The price point they put on the security key feels like a complete cash grab and has rubbed many the wrong way. The MMR experience has been a complete fiasco for quite a few leaving many saying never again. We are glad to see MMR and hope other remakes go over better with less issues. At the end of the day all people want is a product they feel is a value for the money. Plenty of people will pay for color so I doubt there is much for CGC/PPS to worry about.

I believe it's already been said so for the last time it is what it is.....

Looking forward to AFMR so we can all wash, rinse, and repeat this all over again......really wish even more success for AFMR to make others possible.

#1503 7 years ago

I would hope that after this debacle, and with the colorization process under their belt, the next machine would be priced to include the colorization in the base price. This model clearly pissed many off.

#1504 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

If CGC/PPS had managed it differently they could have avoided this whole mess.

By not starting a thread on Pinside announcing it would be shipped in a few months would have been a good start. Maybe they learned a lesson and will keep their sales pitches to their own websites from now on.

Making promises on a public forum that there is no chance of keeping will not work anymore.

#1505 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess anything can be hacked, given time.

not true.

modern encryption algorithms would require more energy and time than there is in the entire universe to brute-force.

https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/1x50xl/time_and_energy_required_to_bruteforce_a_aes256/

for example, it would take 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 super computers running for the entire lifetime of the universe to crack AES256 (which is what IOS uses).

short of the key being leaked or a flaw in CGC's implementation being discovered, it's not going to be decrypted.

#1506 7 years ago

By the time somebody did hack it, anybody that was going to buy this update would have bought it already anyway.

#1507 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

By not starting a thread on Pinside announcing it would be shipped in a few months would have been a good start. Maybe they learned a lesson and will keep their sales pitches to their own websites from now on.
Making promises on a public forum that there is no chance of keeping will not work anymore.

Agreed but the problem is MMR was pretty much done to cater to the demand/request of the collector market....Pinside was the perfect vehicle to bring it to market. The same will have to happen with AFMR if it even happens but hopefully they will be smarter....announce it then back away.......too much criticism that is not constructive for a manufacturer to deal with on here. Hopefully they have learned a lot from MMR and do much better all around with future releases. As many issues we have heard about there are some good stories as well so it's not all doom and gloom....will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

#1508 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Pinside was the perfect vehicle to bring it to market.

The pinball show was the perfect vehicle. Hundreds of pinsiders saw it and reported back.

PPS did not need to use this forum as it's own sales device. All it served to do was piss a bunch of people off in the end. Other manufacturers do not feel the need.

Let them sell it, and let pinside discuss it. Mixing the two is a means to an end.

#1509 7 years ago

I downloaded the warranty card and have a question. How do I fill out date of purchase? Date I made the deposit? Date I sent Jack the full amount because shipping was imminent? Or 13 months later when it actually shipped? There's only room for one date on the line.

#1510 7 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I downloaded the warranty card and have a question. How do I fill out date of purchase? Date I made the deposit? Date I sent Jack the full amount because shipping was imminent? Or 13 months later when it actually shipped? There's only room for one date on the line.

I'd go with the day after tomorrow. Just kidding! Probably the date you received the game is what they are looking for.

#1511 7 years ago

Rick's original statement was read by some people as "it's gonna be free!!!!" And others as "I wonder how much it's gonna cost?" I read it and immediately fall into the 2nd category. Bottom line - this was never promised as free. People just want it for free. But free doesn't get you the level of effort that took place and the super cool product we are about to enjoy.

Granted, no one at CGC or PPS will be granted the coveted Excellence in Pinball Manufacturing Communications award this year. But neither will JJP or DP and they have made similar communication mistakes and are putting out quality products that benefit the hobby.

The display is beyond anything that is - or ever will be - available on the games that PPS produces. And from what I have seen, is worth the money. I hope they offer it for other games in the future - even games that they will never reproduce.

#1512 7 years ago

Though I was hopeful for a free upgrade as an LE buyer who paid way in advance, I can't say I'm shocked at the pricing. Putting aside the argument that this should have been free or at least less expensive, I don't think you can get a better upgrade for $200.

I'll be buying it even though I barely play anymore. Haven't been on pinside for some time now and I have to say that I don't feel like I've missed much. Nevertheless, it's been good to catch up. Happy flipping...

#1513 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Agreed but the problem is MMR was pretty much done to cater to the demand/request of the collector market....Pinside was the perfect vehicle to bring it to market. The same will have to happen with AFMR if it even happens but hopefully they will be smarter....announce it then back away.......too much criticism that is not constructive for a manufacturer to deal with on here. Hopefully they have learned a lot from MMR and do much better all around with future releases. As many issues we have heard about there are some good stories as well so it's not all doom and gloom....will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

MMr was the perfect storm...it was during the whole influx of new collectors, the BBB/Tron LE/ACDC LE price rising madness, and original restored MMr's selling for $20k. New MMr for $8k seemed "cheap" and many (including myself) were throwing our money at them to order. Fast forward a few years, and we've seen 2 dead boutiques bleed hobbyists of millions, a few living boutiques making sweet new games, Stern making games people really want. There will not be a "NEED IT NOW!" fervor with an AFM or MB remake. Some sales sure....but after MMr's growing pains, even interested parties will be happy to sit it out, wait and see.

#1514 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There will not be a "NEED IT NOW!" fervor with an AFM or MB remake. Some sales sure....but after MMr's growing pains, even interested parties will be happy to sit it out, wait and see.

Certainly not the 'buy it now before its gone!!' rush... but the demand for those titles is still pretty good. And CGC *SHOULD* have a leg up in time to develop, and if they can continue using Stern's manufacturing, have a reasonable means to get the games to market. Maybe they only build 300-500 of a title.. but if they play their cards right, it could be possible that it's 'enough' to bring titles to manufacturing profitably given their 'platform', contract manufacturing, and lack of R&D needed given they are 'reusing' designs.

I don't see an endless inventory of these games just waiting to be bought where distributors just buy 3-5 at a time based on recent sales. The economies of scale still work against that.. but PPS at least has an inside line having the parts business that would want inventory too.

The thing that remains untested in the market is... can someone sell the same title for many years? Stern came close with LOTR... but the market is pretty different now. Curious how that will play out...

#1515 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

not true.
modern encryption algorithms would require more energy and time than there is in the entire universe to brute-force.
https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/1x50xl/time_and_energy_required_to_bruteforce_a_aes256/
for example, it would take 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 super computers running for the entire lifetime of the universe to crack AES256 (which is what IOS uses).
short of the key being leaked or a flaw in CGC's implementation being discovered, it's not going to be decrypted.

Why are you assuming chicago gaming used the most up to date standards for encryption?

#1516 7 years ago

Most likely no one who is buying the color code is a hacker, so they would have to turn over their machine to someone to crack the code. This is also unlikely considering most buyers are honest people along with the risk that some sort of watermark could be there to point to whose machine the hack came from. Remember the DVD screener of Quinton Quentin Tarantino's last movie?
This is what it is; a company producing a really cool product way behind schedule and with terrible public relations.

#1517 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This is also unlikely considering most buyers are honest people along with the risk that some sort of watermark could be there to point to whose machine the hack came from. Remember the DVD screener of Quinton Quentin Tarantino's last movie?

The color is already available for download through the latest software update. There is nothing machine-specific about that.

#1518 7 years ago

Looking forward to seeing this pop up in games. Looks like a good addition.

#1519 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The color is already available for download through the latest software update. There is nothing machine-specific about that.

You need to execute the code... Not just have it. I'm not sure how far the code runs with just the beagle board alone...

Remember... This will likely be about defeating a check system.... Not necessarily about decryption

#1520 7 years ago

For the money, I'd like to see the color upgrade include a free SD card with the software upgrade so I don't have to go out and buy the right SD card, adapter, etc., and spend the time figuring out how to burn the image properly.

#1521 7 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

For the money, I'd like to see the color upgrade include a free SD card with the software upgrade so I don't have to go out and buy the right SD card, adapter, etc., and spend the time figuring out how to burn the image properly.

Duly noted.

#1522 7 years ago

CGC has told me the color upgrade does include the SD card with the updated software.

#1523 7 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

I'm pretty sure I read that that was the case. I'm in the same boat, give me the upgrade plug and play.

#1524 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

CGC has told me the color upgrade does include the SD card with the updated software.

Just for info, you do mean the micro SD card? I guess I don't know where a traditional SD card would be slotted.

BTW, thanks for your patience.

#1525 7 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Just for info, you do mean the micro SD card? I guess I don't know where a traditional SD card would be slotted.
BTW, thanks for your patience.

It would be a compatible microSD as you are correct that there's no SD slot, only micro.

Marc

#1526 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Would have been nice to know a microSD card was included in the upgrade. Could have put that in the upgrade notes for 2.0 / 2.1. Most of us went out and bought a new card......

#1527 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I haven't put the latest version of the s/w on my machine yet. Just so I'm clear, once I buy the kit, i just plug in the sd card and install the chip, and i'll be good to go with color and all the latest features from the patch that was recently released?

#1528 7 years ago

Coming out with double the price for some customers years down the line. A great way to expand your customer base. Not.

Looks a great display though.

#1529 7 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Well some are saying color was promised to be free, some are saying that was never the case, so I'm totally confused.

It was "nudge-nudge wink wink" promised for free - not a promise but an optimistic statement with tons of wiggle room. People heard what they wanted to hear which was "it'll be free!"

If it isn't in writing, it isn't a promise. People are disappointed but they really should have known better.

#1530 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Would have been nice to know a microSD card was included in the upgrade. Could have put that in the upgrade notes for 2.0 / 2.1. Most of us went out and bought a new card......

I'm sure the $6 was killer for you..

Including it in the upgrade is just a courtesy to avoid issues.. especially when someone is paying so much for software.

#1531 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Including it in the upgrade is just a courtesy to avoid issues.. especially when someone is paying so much for software.

Actually $24 with tax. The card and the adaptor to go from USB to microSD. But you know everything Flynnibus......

#1532 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Actually $24 with tax. The card and the adaptor to go from USB to microSD. But you know everything Flynnibus......

Overpaid...they're cheap as fuuuuuuuck on Amazon!

#1533 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Overpaid...they're cheap as fuuuuuuuck on Amazon!

Not really the point. The point being PPS/CGC could have communicated better. Also could I get a Card and adaptor in an hour on Amazon, ya no......

#1534 7 years ago

Can OP change the tittle of this thread?
“MMr - Bad news on Colorization - Update - No News on Colorization!”
Maybe something more encouraging, positive, or something plain vanilla?
I'm kinda on the fence regarding the whole matter, but it is development for pinball.

#1535 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

I mean.. if you want to overpay for things that's more of a personal thing. Can't help you there... It should have only cost you ~$6-10 for SD adaptor and 16gig card

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-16GB-microSDHC-SDC10G2/dp/B0162YQEIE/ref=sr_1_31
or
https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-MicroSDHC-Class10-Adapter-TS16GUSDU1E/dp/B00CBD0XSI/ref=sr_1_13
or
https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-MicroSDHC-Class10-SP016GBSTHBU1V20SP/dp/B00TDBLTWK/ref=sr_1_9

Or those who need a local store
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-16gb-microsd-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-orange/5334001.p?id=1219120323731&skuId=5334001

And if you really can't read an SD card... which everything has for ages now due to digital cameras... a usb to SD adaptor is like $8.50 at best buy

#1536 7 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Can OP change the tittle of this thread?
“MMr - Bad news on Colorization - Update - No News on Colorization!”
Maybe something more encouraging, positive, or something plain vanilla?
I'm kinda on the fence regarding the whole matter, but it is development for pinball.

As requested!

#1537 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Not really the point. The point being PPS/CGC could have communicated better. Also could I get a Card and adaptor in an hour on Amazon, ya no......

But you could drive down the street to best buy and pay $8...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/store-locator/80226

But I'm a know it all... can't expect people to just ask if they don't know... or use the internet.

Just wait till everyone gets all upset because they are paying shipping on a 'software upgrade' from CGC because of the included card!

#1538 7 years ago

Thanks. Hope more will join the thread now.

#1539 7 years ago

Has anyone unlocked it yet? I have an le and 199 seems ok not great but worth it imo.

#1540 7 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Has anyone unlocked it yet? I have an le and 199 seems ok not great but worth it imo.

It's not being sold yet. All we got was an announcement of the product and pricing... not actual availability yet.

#1542 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-16gb-microsd-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-orange/5334001.p?id=1219120323731&skuId=5334001

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-2-0-sd-mmc-memory-card-reader-black/3602009.p?id=1219092580719&skuId=3602009

I don't have and SD slot in my computer, so I have to use USB.

8.00 + 8.49 * .05 sales tax = $17.31

What's up I though this was $6.00 Flynnibus? Hey I can use the internet too!

#1543 7 years ago

To be accurate, the title should say something like, "MMr - Colorization Pricing In....Still Waiting on Availability".

#1544 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-2-0-sd-mmc-memory-card-reader-black/3602009.p?id=1219092580719&skuId=3602009
I don't have and SD slot in my computer, so I have to use USB.
8.00 + 8.49 * .05 sales tax = $17.31
What's up I though this was $6.00 Flynnibus? Hey I can use the internet too!

I pointed out the adaptor and card options in an earlier post saying even if you DIDN'T have a SD card, there was the option. If you don't have a SD reader device in 2016... you may want to reprioritize your entertainment purchases verse complaining about having to buy a $8 adaptor. They've been on most devices for years now (again.. driven by digital camera use). Even my tower, which I built all the way back in 2008 and still use today... has a multireader in it.

Your personal situation is what we call a corner case. And even at $24, vs the $17, or $6 you could have spent... will serve you in the future, since somehow you could not use any portable storage card that has been in use for the last decade

#1545 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not being sold yet. All we got was an announcement of the product and pricing... not actual availability yet.

Thank you ill check back in 2 pages lol.

#1546 7 years ago

I pointed out the adaptor and card options in an earlier post saying even if you DIDN'T have a SD card, there was the option. If you don't have a SD reader device in 2016... you may want to reprioritize your entertainment purchases verse complaining about having to buy a $8 adaptor. They've been on most devices for years now (again.. driven by digital camera use). Even my tower, which I built all the way back in 2008 and still use today... has a multireader in it.
Your personal situation is what we call a corner case. And even at $24, vs the $17, or $6 you could have spent... will serve you in the future, since somehow you could not use any portable storage card that has been in use for the last decade

This is true. But i guess in your original post you didn't account for the no SD card huh?

#1547 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Your probabally right I should upgrade my computer to include a card reader. How ever this wasn't mentioned in this post. I guess you just assumed to know my computer system....

#1548 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Your probabally right I should upgrade my computer to include a card reader. How ever this wasn't mentioned in this post. I guess you just assumed to know my computer system....

Again... tit for tat over $9. There is a trend forming here... buckle up for when Bay Area charges you shipping for that new order! That extra $5-6 is probably worth 3-5 more posts about it... at a minimum.

#1549 7 years ago

I sent my card to another Pinsider and they sent it on again.

Stop bickering with one another and help each other out, sheesh.

#1550 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I sent my card to another Pinsider and they sent it on again.
Stop bickering with one another and help each other out, sheesh.

But.. But... a company didn't cater to ME individually!!! I'm never buying from CGC again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 45.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.