(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 50.
#851 8 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

All I can say is that when they are ready to start collecting money for this color upgrade they had better be ready to ship it the day it is paid.

When Rick started having talk about announcing game #2 I reminded him that he had stated several times there would be no more pre-ordering of games which had led to so much backlash on MMr. He politely informed me that this was the way the pinball business works now and if people didn't want the game they were free to not order one. So if you are expecting them to factor in shipping realities into their "when should we start accepting money for the color upgrade" business model I expect there will be an additional round of frustration coming everyone's way...

#852 8 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

When Rick started having talk about announcing game #2 I reminded him that he had stated several times there would be no more pre-ordering of games which had led to so much backlash on MMr. He politely informed me that this was the way the pinball business works now and if people didn't want the game they were free to not order one. So if you are expecting them to factor in shipping realities into their "when should we start accepting money for the color upgrade" business model I expect there will be an additional round of frustration coming everyone's way...

It is funny, that each setback - major or minor - results in loud pledges that the pre-order model is dead. Yet I suspect Rick is right.

People can't help themselves. And it's more than just "I better pre-order lest they sell out!" I think it's that shot of euphoria people get from "owning" something that doesn't exist and likely won't for years.

Personally I just stick to drugs and meaningless sex for that excitement, but it's not for everybody.

#853 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is funny, that each setback - major or minor - results in loud pledges that the pre-order model is dead. Yet I suspect Rick is right.
People can't help themselves. And it's more than just "I better pre-order lest they sell out!" I think it's that shot of euphoria people get from "owning" something that doesn't exist and likely won't for years.
Personally I just stick to drugs and meaningless sex for that excitement, but it's not for everybody.

I see you got the immediate o-din thumbs-up -- I'm assuming he skipped right to the last line of your post!

#854 8 years ago

The only thing missing was the Kool-Aid.

#855 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ahhh,... So you have pre-ordered from PPS/CGC before

#856 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Ignored user comment

I see you got the immediate o-din thumbs-up -- I'm assuming he skipped right to the last line of your post!

LOL! Only three people in my Ignore file and one of them thumbs up'd another one.

#857 8 years ago

I haven't done it yet but I should go ahead and ignore this nucklehead for the heck of it.

#858 8 years ago

Not sure where else to post this as I only get on Pinside once every month or two, but its time for me to talk about my MM LE experience... I have LE #642 of 1000. I'm not sure how to sign up for the MMR club that I read about. . . but here's my experience on it:

My dealing with Rick have been nothing but positive ... I am a home collector, not a business, and thus at a disadvantage as I don't travel to shows around the country... I still was able to talk to Rick several times at the beginning. While things started roughly for the MMR project, Rick hired Jim to help with the MMR project. Through all of the delays and everything that happened Jim has returned EVERY phone call and email that I sent.

When it was time for my game to ship and there was a question Doug Score from the factory in Chicago called me personally and then the game shipped and its here.

There were some frustrating moments in the MORE THAN two years it took to get my machine. I heard about many people cancelling their orders. I remained positive and worked with these guys and was very happy in the end.

No one in this world is perfect ... so the real way to judge people is by HOW they deal with issues when they arise... Rick realized he needed help and he hired Jim ... I for one am happy in the end (even though there were truly some frustrating times in the middle).

IMG_20160111_195820515_(resized).jpgIMG_20160111_195820515_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160111_220657885_(resized).jpgIMG_20160111_220657885_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160111_171422703_(resized).jpgIMG_20160111_171422703_(resized).jpg

#859 8 years ago

Not that it matters, but I am surprised at how dirty the machine is on the bottom. It looks like dirty hands have moved that machine many times.

#860 8 years ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

Not that it matters, but I am surprised at how dirty the machine is on the bottom. It looks like dirty hands have moved that machine many times.

Yeah, mine was clean. That is dirty. Doesn't matter though as you can't see it.

#861 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, mine was clean. That is dirty. Doesn't matter though as you can't see it.

Hey, that's not fair...
I didn't get dirt with mine

No-dirt-gate !!

#862 8 years ago

Mine came with big dirty hand prints on the bottom also, it was like the person had carbon or something on their hands, strange, but it wiped off quickly and easily and you can't see where there were. I left one of the prints as it might add value

Hey labnip don't worry I heard they are going to release a filth kit for those that missed out.

#863 8 years ago

Yeah but the filth kit mod does cost extra.

#864 8 years ago
Quoted from KenPin:

And will come with special "Security Filth" so you cant transfer the filth from one machine to another.

#865 8 years ago

Guys that is backup ink for the castle inserts.

#866 8 years ago

I too noted finger prints on the cab, glass and a few dimples on my playfield. I noted it in a contact email when I needed a few warranty parts. I was told every game is test played and those minor spots were normal. Not an issue for me just suprised they didnt wipe it down.

#867 8 years ago

I can't see how anyone could have so much black stuff on their hands and think it was OK to handle an expensive pin about to be boxed without thinking to have a quick wash. I really wonder where this black came from?

As I said it doesn't really bother me because it wipes off fine, I'm just curious to what it is and why it's there? Perhaps it's the black print on the outside of the boxes getting on people's hands as they are packing them?

#868 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I can't see how anyone could have so much black stuff on their hands and think it was OK to handle an expensive pin about to be boxed without thinking to have a quick wash. I really wonder where this black came from?

Having worked in a factory for over 20 years I think I can answer this one. The black came from dirt, which is commonly found in most factories. The dirt transfers to people's hands, and then to the product that is being produced. Line guys do not spend a lot of time washing their hands during their shift, and likely aren't overly worried about getting hand prints on the bottom of your expensive game.

#869 8 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Having worked in a factory for over 20 years I think I can answer this one. The black came from dirt, which is commonly found in most factories. The dirt transfers to people's hands, and then to the product that is being produced. Line guys do not spend a lot of time washing their hands during their shift, and likely aren't overly worried about getting hand prints on the bottom of your expensive game.

Lol

"Dirt huh? Likely story!!!"

Love how the poor guy posted these pics in two different threads to show off his new toy and all anybody wants to talk about is how filthy it is. Curse you Internet!!!

#870 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I can't see how anyone could have so much black stuff on their hands

I want to be take the more optimistic angle on this and see the black on the worker's hands as a sign that black trim games are once again on the line

#871 8 years ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

Quoted from HOOKED:

I too noted finger prints on the cab, glass and a few dimples on my playfield. I noted it in a contact email when I needed a few warranty parts. I was told every game is test played and those minor spots were normal. Not an issue for me just suprised they didnt wipe it down.

Quoted from Rat:

As I said it doesn't really bother me because it wipes off fine, I'm just curious to what it is and why it's there? Perhaps it's the black print on the outside of the boxes getting on people's hands as they are packing them?

Man, when one of the MFGs mentioned on a podcast recently (not sure who, might have been Dankberg from Stern, but I really can't remember) that "operators don't call an complain that there's a handprint on the bottom of a game" I thought it was an exaggeration that anyone actually would.

#872 8 years ago

It is just the heating element in the laser printer is not working right. So the unset toner is sticking to the worker's hands.

MMDirty_(resized).jpgMMDirty_(resized).jpg

#873 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Anyone who has worked in a warehouse area is used to that black grime. Its like a dust that is real gritty. Not sure if it originates with the equipment or materials.. but its pretty common. And you'll see it on shrinkwrapped items, etc

#874 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Anyone who has worked in a warehouse area is used to that black grime. Its like a dust that is real gritty. Not sure if it originates with the equipment or materials.. but its pretty common. And you'll see it on shrinkwrapped items, etc

Yes, all over. Warehouse and shipping areas are filled. I would expect to see it on the shipping container itself. But usually the product, parts and assemblies are covered until packed. Paper sheet masking to prevent touching, cloth drapes if a worker needs to lean over . . .

You should not have fingerprints in place of an inspected by label.

#875 8 years ago

After some investigation, cgc found the source of mysterious black dust

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#876 8 years ago
Quoted from KenPin:

Everything does......
Stern has a "mod" shop.JJP charges extra for special cab decals.I bet Rick looks at that and sez Ok extra for color DMD.

#877 8 years ago

For those giving the explanations and quoting me.....I worked in a factory in the painting/final inspection/packing area that produced mag wheels for luxury cars for 7 years. The Japanese and German customers were rightfully very fussy, there was never any dirt anywhere, these wheels were worth a few hundred each not 10k.

Years in packing wrapping shipping final inspection painting....some in machining casting metal movement quality control trials.

Never did I see big black hand prints on packaging or product.

#878 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Everything does......
Stern has a "mod" shop.JJP charges extra for special cab decals.I bet Rick looks at that and sez Ok extra for color DMD.

I can tell you that from speaking directly with Rick and Doug about charging for the color display it was not up to Rick. I have spoken with Rick quite a few times about this and it was my understanding that originally it was just going to be color dots, once they had to go back and redraw everything (which looks awesome) that is when the cost was added. It is my feeling that Rick was the one who negotiated the discount for LE owners. There have definitely been mistakes during this process but after spending MANY phone calls it becomes easier to understand.

#879 8 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

I can tell you that from speaking directly with Rick and Doug about charging for the color display it was not up to Rick. I have spoken with Rick quite a few times about this and it was my understanding that originally it was just going to be color dots, once they had to go back and redraw everything (which looks awesome) that is when the cost was added. It is my feeling that Rick was the one who negotiated the discount for LE owners. There have definitely been mistakes during this process but after spending MANY phone calls it becomes easier to understand.

They must have an idea on price by now. Why don't they just announce it?

#880 8 years ago

That I don't have an answer for.

#881 8 years ago

download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg

#882 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

download_(resized).jpg

^^ per pixel

#883 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Yes, all over. Warehouse and shipping areas are filled. I would expect to see it on the shipping container itself. But usually the product, parts and assemblies are covered until packed. Paper sheet masking to prevent touching, cloth drapes if a worker needs to lean over . . .
You should not have fingerprints in place of an inspected by label.

Oh I agree that the business should be planning to AVOID the containmenation of the product.. but just commenting on where the risk is coming from and the source material itself is not unusual.

#884 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

They must have an idea on price by now. Why don't they just announce it?

The only explanation is they are postponing "shock & awe". I have a bad feeling about this.

#885 8 years ago

Maybe they are trying to come up with some kind of payment plan.

#886 8 years ago

So does anyone actually know anything about when this will be released, or what LE customers have to do to get it? After trying to read most of this thread it is about everything but when and how this will be released.

And anything closely related to it, is only speculation.

Just got my LE on Friday last week. No pre order. Or waiting. I just went to my distributor and bought one after selling some pins. I was thinking of putting money down on ghostbusters premium. But I decided to get a game that was proven to play good instead of speculating. And I couldn't be happier.

#887 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

...Just got my LE on Friday last week. No pre order. Or waiting. I just went to my distributor and bought one after selling some pins. ...

I'm sure the people waiting two years with money out are happy for you

The moral of the story that if you want the next remake quicker don't preorder.

#888 8 years ago

Sometime in the next week or so I suspect you will be able to order the software from your distributor. They will be mailing a chip and a dongle of some sort (copy protection) This is just a software update but there is some sort of hardware that will be installed (probably USB but who knows) If I had to bet it will be sometime at the end of this month or may before anyone has them in hand, but hopefully sooner.

#889 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

No pre order. Or waiting.

download_(1)_(resized).jpgdownload_(1)_(resized).jpg

#890 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

download_(1)_(resized).jpg

Yeah. What I don't think people realize is some large distributors pre ordered and paid in full for pins that are for them to sell. Not for specific customers that had ordered them. Some distributors have stock. They are advertising them online for sale now too.
I decided I wanted a MMr. Called and asked if they had any. And just went there, paid, and picked it up. Mmr gold #759. Build date Feb 9.
And they still have a couple golds left.

I understand people are waiting. But you have to ask. Are they getting shipped direct to their home? Did they order personally from pps and not a distributor? Did they order a specific #? Did they order a certain trim? Or did they order it from a large distributor that ordered and paid for multiple MMr's at once? (Regardless of trim or #) And if it was pre ordered has it now been paid in full?

Otherwise find a large distributor and you should be able to buy one. Because they are out there.

#891 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Yeah. What I don't think people realize is some large distributors pre ordered and paid in full for pins that are for them to sell. Not for specific customers that had ordered them. Some distributors have stock. They are advertising them online for sale now too.
I decided I wanted a MMr. Called and asked if they had any. And just went there, paid, and picked it up. Mmr gold #759. Build date Feb 9.
And they still have a couple golds left.
I understand people are waiting. But you have to ask. Are they getting shipped direct to their home? Did they order a specific #? Did they order a certain trim? And did they order it from a large distributor that ordered and paid for multiple MMr's at once? (Regardless of trim or #) And if it was pre ordered has it now been paid in full?
Otherwise find a large distributor and you will be able to just buy one.

They may have golds but do they have black? Or Stainless?

#892 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Yeah. What I don't think people realize is some large distributors pre ordered and paid in full for pins that are for them to sell.

I understand people are waiting. But you have to ask. Are they getting shipped direct to their home? Did they order a specific #? Did they order a certain trim? And did they order it from a large distributor that ordered and paid for multiple MMr's at once? (Regardless of trim or #) And if it was pre ordered has it now been paid in full?
Otherwise find a large distributor and you will be able to just buy one.

Is JJP a large distributor?
Nope, not to my home. Nope, no specific number. Yup, paid in full for almost 2 years. Yup I did order black trim (no excuse).
I did find a distributor, and I did buy one (not try). Only problem is it is not in my possession yet!

#893 8 years ago
Quoted from Flake:

They may have golds but do they have black? Or Stainless?

No, just gold.
Exactly what I stated in my post.
If you want specific #'s, trim etc. That's what's taking time.
I feel sorry for those waiting. But if you don't care about trim and just want a mmr, look around they are out there.

And actually I like the gold the best.

#894 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

No, just gold.
Exactly what I stated in my post.
If you want specific #'s, trim etc. That's what's taking time.
I feel sorry for those waiting. But if you don't care about trim and just want a mmr, look around they are out there.
And actually I like the gold the best.

I have a gold. I'm happy with it. I was just trying to say that I think most of the people waiting are waiting for trim they liked better. There are people locked in, paid in full still waiting. They're allowed to be a little salty at this point. Especially if someone can just go buy one today and have it next week.

#895 8 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Is JJP a large distributor?
Nope, not to my home. Nope, no specific number. Yup, paid in full for almost 2 years. Yup I did order black trim (no excuse).
I did find a distributor, and I did buy one (not try). Only problem is it is not in my possession yet!

JJP may be a distributor. But Starburst in Toronto is now owned by Cineplex.
So my guess is they have a pretty good pull considering how much buying power they have. Because they have golds in stock right now and are advertising on kijiji. It's more than likely the black trim issue. Because my guess is they build them in batches at Stern. And since Rick from pps said most orders are gold. That's the hold up.

http://www.theplaydiumstore.com/aboutus.asp

#897 8 years ago

I'm hoping the price of the color upgrade isn't too salty. Hoping the LE buyers will get a huge discount.

#898 8 years ago

I heard LE buyers will get it 50% off. Just don't know what it's 50% of.

#899 8 years ago

$399 with a 50% discount for LE owners...$199 My guess.

#900 8 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

$399 with a 50% discount for LE owners...$199 My guess.

Since it does not need any new hardware except maybe a sd card to download it, I will say $299 and $150 for original LE owners.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 29.95
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 64.99
$ 45.00
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.