(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 50.
#801 8 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I am sure they could make it work with collaboration of some great minds that
we have here

The hardware is completely incompatible. Either a full new platform would have to be developed by GCG for the original MM or they would have to work with the ColorDMD people. Any other hacks to make it work would be very difficult and illegal due to copyrights.

Quoted from Nepi23:

I doubt that the new dots are a driving factor
for selling MMR:s and the availability of the same for MM:s would decrease the sales of MMR:s.

I disagree. This upgraded display will sell more machines. It would make a difference to a lot or people considering their next games vs an original.

#802 8 years ago

Not a penny more than $129.95!!!

#803 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This upgraded display will sell more machines. It would make a difference to a lot or people considering their next games vs an original.

I think so too. That is why I'll stick to my opinion it is best for them to roll whatever costs there are into their overall game budget and just give every remake buyer the color upgrade, for every title. That will make the remakes more desirable over the originals and generate more sales. It also solves the piracy problem, and whatever time and effort they're putting into trying to stop that.

#804 8 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Not a penny more than $129.95!!!

Not a penny more than $0.00

#805 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd call $200k peanuts when compared against 1000 LEs at $8,000.
Especially when there are 10 more titles lined up. Many millions to be made or not made. the $200k is a rounding error.

Rounding error? Really......same company that pulled coin mechs. That was a rounding error.

The fact that people are still waiting on games tells me all I need to know about this company and their priorities.

#807 8 years ago

I'm going to pay whatever the hell they charge...the price of this will simply dictate whether I buy a future CGC remake or not.

#808 8 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

Rounding error? Really......same company that pulled coin mechs. That was a rounding error.

ha. Well you've got me there .

#809 8 years ago

My understanding is that the colour upgrade is software v 2.0 and chip (PIC is I assume a chip and not a board?). No new DMD needed. There should be an announcement 'soon' but I have no other information.

A slight lateral I'd be grateful for help with- my gold side rails on MMR are a little scratched and chipped. What would the panel recommend for polishing scratches and touching up chips (that extend to the metal) on powder-coated side-rails? What is the colour code for the 'gold' colour (in case I could get it coated locally)? How easily can side rails be re-powder coated or replaced (and cost)?

I have emailed CGC...

Thanks guys.

#810 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

My understanding is that the colour upgrade is software v 2.0 and chip (PIC is I assume a chip and not a board?). No new DMD needed. There should be an announcement 'soon' but I have no other information.
A slight lateral I'd be grateful for help with- my gold side rails on MMR are a little scratched and chipped. What would the panel recommend for polishing scratches and touching up chips (that extend to the metal) on powder-coated side-rails? What is the colour code for the 'gold' colour (in case I could get it coated locally)? How easily can side rails be re-powder coated or replaced (and cost)?
I have emailed CGC...
Thanks guys.

Did they come scratched out of the box ?

#811 8 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Well if it's priced to high then don't buy it !
I'm done with pre orders, I don't give a F $=÷
What game it is ! Two bad experiences are enough the next game I might end up with nothing !

Bing!

#812 8 years ago

Does anybody know the date and time of the upgrade update? I'd like to be tuned in for this.

#813 8 years ago

Time? LOL
The release has been "imminent" for over a year and now you expect it to be pinned down to an accurate time. I guess you are joking.

What we do know as it has been confirmed by PPS is that it will not be free but will be discounted for LE customers.

EVERYTHING ELSE is still unknown, it will probably be released in the next couple of weeks. We might know more by next week. From what I have read I am guessing it will not be downloaded but posted via snail mail. If that ends up happening I WILL be annoyed.

#814 8 years ago

What a freakin joke. People paid top dollar for this remake and now they have to pay extra for a color DMD software upgrade? The wait I'm sure was/is painful and now they want to bend you over for more? Unreal, I'd never buy anything from CGC.

#815 8 years ago

Yeah I agree, Stern are giving away a free hardware upgrade with the latest code for WWF right now. Are you watching the competition CGC? Obviously not.

#816 8 years ago

It will be HILARIOUS when this upgrade is released and I don't even have my machine to put it in (not buying anyway), but still hilarious. Ass backwards for sure!

#817 8 years ago

There has been some information posted on the PPS forum. I won't copy and paste it here as they want to keep their forum a walled garden and protected from the nasty customers here.

Can't say I'm happy about what has been related and I guess it will lead to even further delays. Anyway hopefully all will be revealed this week so at least we will know what we are in for, or not for those who decide against.

#818 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

There has been some information posted on the PPS forum. I won't copy and paste it here as they want to keep their forum a walled garden and protected from the nasty customers here.
Can't say I'm happy about what has been related and I guess it will lead to even further delays. Anyway hopefully all will be revealed this week so at least we will know what we are in for, or not for those who decide against.

Can you state it, using different words?

#819 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Can you state it, using different words?

He must like getting PMs. He's probably going to get some.

#820 8 years ago

It was essentially stated that the color upgrade will require a security device to be attached. Thus the software will require shipping.

This isn't great news because shipping isn't CGC's strong point as me and many others are still waiting on the MMR LE know first hand.

#821 8 years ago

Apparently, the update will come with a security chip. So it's no longer just a software package. I wonder how long it will take them to get parts for the security chip.

Edit: beat me by a few seconds.

#822 8 years ago

I suppose the op could change the thread title back to what it originally was.

#823 8 years ago

Wonder how long it took them to develop that? Better increase the upgrade price to cover the cost of developing the security chip also.

#824 8 years ago

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to use copy protection of some sort.

#825 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to use copy protection of some sort.

I don't think it is either. The real problem is it's another piece of hardware that has to get manufactured and shipped. I might feel different if my MMr showed up when I purchased it, but instead I'm still waiting.

#826 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

No question. If the color was never promised to LE owners in the first place, then it would be expected, as with all software. But to promise colour is included on Le's, then to go back on your word, then to spend time and money to ensure those same LE buyers MUST pay for it, goes a significant way to ensuring CGC have totally f****d any good-will they had with their early adopter customers and the pinball community at large.

That's assuming they had any goodwill left at this point.

#827 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Quoted from DeeGor:

I don't think it is either. The real problem is it's another piece of hardware that has to get manufactured and shipped. I might feel different if my MMr showed up when I purchased it, but instead I'm still waiting.

Plus how much time and effort was spent developing this whilst they still cant fulfill all the original LE orders after how many years?

We screwed our LE customers, but we need to ensure they don't screw us. I guess it takes one to know one.

Having said all that, we still have no information on how much they will ask the LE owners for this. If they give it away to LE owners as a good-will gesture, then adding security chip to stop it being copied to non-LE customers is completely understandable. I doubt that's going to happen though.

#828 8 years ago

I have a crazy idea. Post the update and let all MMr buyers download it for their game. Announce that CGC is proud to be providing upgraded color graphics for all future remakes also. Announce your next game and keep selling.

Charging more to people that you have already been very slow to deliver on is not going to help move the next game.

#829 8 years ago

Yep & yep.

#830 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I can't fathom how PPS would be happy with how the project ran.. and given the tone, it doesn't sound like things have changed much either. Their hands may simply be tied.

You should look back at how many times PPS was in charge and stated so, the when shit hit the fan, all of a sudden its ccg's fault because they were in charge. Amazing ownership right there

#831 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No question. If the color was never promised to LE owners in the first place, then it would be expected, as with all software. But to promise colour is included on Le's, then to go back on your word, then to spend time and money to ensure those same LE buyers MUST pay for it, goes a significant way to ensuring CGC have totally f****d any good-will they had with their early adopter customers and the pinball community at large.

The Color was NEVER promised in any way shape or form, at least for free. Some vague optimistic hints were dropped, but I think we all know if it isn't in writing you can assume it's nonsense. Which of course it turned out to be.

Nobody is being expected to pay for anything were actually promised for free.

This is a lesson that will be forgotten about 20 times in the pinball hobby this year.

#832 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The Color was NEVER promised in any way shape or form, at least for free. Some vague optimistic hints were dropped, but I think we all know if it isn't in writing you can assume it's nonsense. Which of course it turned out to be.
Nobody is being expected to pay for anything were actually promised for free.
This is a lesson that will be forgotten about 20 times in the pinball hobby this year.

"As we have said MANY MANY times, the colorized DMD is a software upgrade. At this time it will be an free LE upgrade to the software - likely no charge for LE owners,", Rick @ PPS

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/64#post-1557003

Yes, I know, there's an opt out in the wording, but still sounds like a promise broken. Why mention it at all if not trying to use it as a selling point to get more pre-order dollars?

#833 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Why mention it at all if not trying to use it as a selling point to get more pre-order dollars?

I think you answered your own question there.

Obviously "at this time" means "it ain't gonna be free, suckers." Not a broken promise there, just meaningless hype.

#834 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

But to promise colour is included on Le's, then to go back on your word, then to spend time and money to ensure those same LE buyers MUST pay for it, goes a significant way to ensuring CGC have totally f****d any good-will they had with their early adopter customers and the pinball community at large

It was never promised as included for free. Rick was speaking optimistically, but never promised it outright. It was at best him saying what he wanted the deal to be.. but as we know later, he doesn't have a say really beyond being the licensing agent and giving a up/down vote.

#835 8 years ago

Easy in hindsight to look at that statement see it was all bulsh*t, but at the time I took it as more than "meaningless hype." And looking at the reaction to the statement in that thread, so did many. Meaningless hype is "The best game ever", "Will blow your mind", "Huge technological advances" etc.etc. At the time had no reason not to believe the "promise".

Now, knowing how the project has panned out, and also Rick's involvement, or apparent lack of it, the statement looks meaningless. I now know anything promised by CGC or PPS is most likely cr*p. So it's little wonder some are cynical about the "security chip so we can screw you even harder" mod.

#836 8 years ago

It's a physical copy protection chip so they can protect their work. The conspiracy theories just don't compute. What does compute is that this pinball machine was way harder to deliver than *anyone* expected. But once you have it you love it and you stop complaining. So, it seems to me that the loudest voices are the ones that are still waiting (and they will get theirs) and the ones that never planned to get one.
Everyone else is having too good of a time playing MMR.

This is almost exactly like Big Bang Bar went down. Took way longer than anyone thought and the conspiracy theories abounded.

Marc

#837 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

This is almost exactly like Big Bang Bar went down. Took way longer than anyone thought and the conspiracy theories abounded.

Fair enough, lesson learnt.

#838 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Fair enough, lesson learnt.

The interesting lesson is that those machines are incredibly valuable now and everyone has forgotten about how difficult it was to get them. I feel bad for those whos excitement about MMR is being sullied by the long wait. The game is awesome.

Marc

#839 8 years ago

Just to put a different view foward, I have my machine and I love it, but I am very disappointed by the way this update has been handled. (and the inserts but that's another thread) Not all owners are blissfully playing in utopia without a care for how long this takes or how much it costs.

I made my decision to buy after seeing the completed color video. I had been deciding between a few new releases but that colour got MMR over the line.

I'm not disappointed with my decision but I certainly am with this update and how it has been handled and the bullshit communication.

#840 8 years ago

Just think how much easier a little communication would make this. It's not like they haven't decided the price months ago. If they would only share that with their customers then we'd moan but get over it. The way this has been dragged out does nothing but damage their future sales. If I was a potential customer for AFMr or MBr then seeing how they've treated their previous customers would be factored in to any decision I'd make

As an aside if colordmd brought out a new version of say AFM done to the same high quality as the MMr screen would you expect to get that software update for free given you've already bought the hardware? Personally I'd probably pay again but I'm not sure how much.

I'm still looking forward to the colour upgrade but they sure make it hard for themselves.

#841 8 years ago

They don't have anything. Just talk wait they stopped that a while back...

#842 8 years ago

When I read something like "an free update" I have my doubts.

#843 8 years ago

I just tried to send a list of questions to CGC but it seems that their website email form is broken. Is it working for anyone else?

This is what I tried to send. ...

"PPS has requested that I direct my questions to you I do hope you are willing to provide some answers.

We know that a security chip will need to be posted with the software update have the chips been sourced and ready to go or will this mean another delay?

Will the update be free for LE customers? If not how much are you planning to change?

When can we expect them to be sent and what about international customers?

I look forward to reading your reply."

#844 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

"As we have said MANY MANY times, the colorized DMD is a software upgrade. At this time it will be an free LE upgrade to the software - likely no charge for LE owners,", Rick @ PPS
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/64#post-1557003
Yes, I know, there's an opt out in the wording, but still sounds like a promise broken. Why mention it at all if not trying to use it as a selling point to get more pre-order dollars?

Thanks for digging up that quote. I knew we didn't imagine it. Fine, they had a change of heart and want to recoop their little bit of money, but the expectations were set then, so it's fair that there is blowback now about it.

#845 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I just tried to send a list of questions to CGC but it seems that their website email form is broken. Is it working for anyone else?
This is what I tried to send. ...
"PPS has requested that I direct my questions to you I do hope you are willing to provide some answers.
We know that a security chip will need to be posted with the software update have the chips been sourced and ready to go or will this mean another delay?

They have been saying this color upgrade is going to available in another month for at least the past 6 months. The latest estimate on the PPS website is "2+ weeks" and that was before the security chip was announced and we still have no word on pricing either. My guess is that even if they bother to respond to a question from one of their customers, and they probably won't, it will be yet another meaningless and overly optimistic estimate.

#846 8 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

As an aside if colordmd brought out a new version of say AFM done to the same high quality as the MMr screen would you expect to get that software update for free given you've already bought the hardware? Personally I'd probably pay again but I'm not sure how much.
I'm still looking forward to the colour upgrade but they sure make it hard for themselves.

I wouldn't pay more to upgrade if that ever happend.

#847 8 years ago

The bigger question is - why did it take this long for them to figure out a "security chip" was needed? All this time preparing the color update, only to figure out at the end that a security chip is needed?

#848 8 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

The bigger question is - why did it take this long for them to figure out a "security chip" was needed? All this time preparing the color update, only to figure out at the end that a security chip is needed?

You are asking this question to a company that is more than a year into production and still hasn't shipped all the LE's that they were paid for years ago.

#849 8 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

You are asking this question to a company that is more than a year into production and still hasn't shipped all the LE's that they were paid for years ago.

They still haven't shipped 'em all, but it's not clear that CGC was paid more than a $1000 down-payment years ago. According to Rick, some distributors may have called in full payment early and sat on the cash rather than sending it to CGC.

#850 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

They still haven't shipped 'em all, but it's not clear that CGC was paid more than a $1000 down-payment years ago. According to Rick, some distributors may have called in full payment early and sat on the cash rather than sending it to CGC.

True enough. All I can say for certain is I paid my distributor in full and I still don't have a game yet. All the finger pointing between Rick, other distributors, Stern, and CGC doesn't help anyone at this point.

All I can say is that when they are ready to start collecting money for this color upgrade they had better be ready to ship it the day it is paid.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.