(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 50.
#651 8 years ago

cgc must be reading this thread and thinking sh!t let's double the price we were gunna charge for this upgrade, as it seems people are willing to pay it no problem.

#652 8 years ago

My educated guess is that it would never, ever be possible.

If I personally was going to buy one and pick between an original and MMR? I'd go for the MMR no question. I'm missing the part of my brain that gives me any appreciation for "original".

#653 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who knows if is even possible. MMr is running on entirely different hardware and software. It's a moot argument unless someone tech savvy can offer some insight as to whether this is even possible with original MM hardware.

Agreed. But if CGC/PPS is willing to license the art, somebody will figure out how to make it work on an MM. Whether it becomes cost effective to mass produce is another story.

#654 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If I personally was going to buy one and pick between an original and MMR? I'd go for the MMR no question. I'm missing the part of my brain that gives me any appreciation for "original".

I think this is a big enough option for most deciding between buying an MM or MMR to go with MMR. Assume everyone thinks the same as you and that they will buy an MMR over an MM. That still leaves everyone that already owns an original.

I don't think anyone is going to sell an MM to get an MMR just because MMR can support the new graphics. Until we see a significant number of MM owners doing just that, the real question is "Why not allow it to be made for the original?"

#655 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don't think anyone is going to sell an MM to get an MMR just because MMR can support the new graphics. Until we see a significant number of MM owners doing just that, the real question is "Why not allow it to be made for the original?"

Because that's not their market. The point isn't to get someone to sell their MM to "upgrade", the point is to get someone who's a new MM buyer to get the remake because it offers more.

This upgrade is impossible on a stock MM. It would require new hardware, new R&D. You'd have to sell it at enough of a markup to recoup the cost of the electronics, the cost of the R&D, the cost of the art royalty, and then whatever minimal profit you could squeeze out of the rest.

Or, you could skip all that, keep it for the platform it works on already, try and get some more sales of the games, and enjoy the much higher profit margin.

Let's face it, there's just no scenario where trying to add this to old games makes sense.

#656 8 years ago

Surely its possible to upscale the graphics on MM with or without CGC/PPS approval? IP legality aside, is it technically possible? Im thinking like Cactus Canyon revisited.

Kind of ironic if this were the case - it would mean that the whole time, this upscaling has been possible on MM, but not until it is revealed on MMr does it become desirable.

The original is now trying to emulate it's copy.

#657 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

This guy:
445155.png 1
now reminds me of this guy:
5-bad-games-we-loved-ghosts-n-goblins-nes (1).jpg

Even this guy?

GhoulsNGhosts_underwear.jpgGhoulsNGhosts_underwear.jpg

#658 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Surely its possible to upscale the graphics on MM with or without CGC/PPS approval? IP legality aside, is it technically possible? Im thinking like Cactus Canyon revisited.
Kind of ironic if this were the case - it would mean that the whole time, this upscaling has been possible on MM, but not until it is revealed on MMr does it become desirable.

MM is already upscaled in a way on colorDMD but its a different way. Personally i don't like the look of the upscale on colorDMD so I don't use that option. ColorDMD can't use the MM assets, in order to not go over the copyright law they need to leave those assets intact, all they can do is filter over them. Thats fine with me, I like the normal, but colored dots, it looks like how it was dove originally. If New machines came out and used the "new" MMr style I think it would look great on those games since I don't have a preconceived notion of how it supposed to look.

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from hlazzer:

I like the normal, but colored dots, it looks like how it was dove originally. If New machines came out and used the "new" MMr style I think it would look great on those games since I don't have a preconceived notion of how it supposed to look.

Pretty much the way I feel… keep the 20 year old classics original for the most part. Those that want all the pretty video game colors and graphics can have MMr. An updated display would look great on the new Sterns and new pins being made today but MM (and other classics) weren't meant for all this fancy crap IMO.

Like I said before the display is such a minor part of pinball IMO.

#660 8 years ago

What could be done is Color DMD could introduce a "Small Dots" mode which basically uses their smoothing algorithms but just goes for 4x resolution instead of max. However, they can't get the increased color counts, I don't think. Still, might be an interesting mode.

#661 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

CCC was written from scratch. It uses a PROC, it's gotten a complete brain transplant. It's in many ways spiritually similar to MMr, as compared to the original CC.

So yeah, you could do it. But you'd need to rewrite the rules from scratch to PROC (and have legal problems). No one is gonna do that.

You could piggyback somehow, but it would still take a PC on some level. We're talking a new frontal lobe if not a brain transplant.

#662 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This upgrade is impossible on a stock MM.

It's not impossible - you outlined the steps necessary. It's only "impossible" if the IP can't be licensed.

I wrote a lot of code before I retired at 49. Whenever someone asked if I could do something, my answer was always "Sure, just depends how much money and/or time you have". My biggest successes were projects people called impossible.

Quoted from Aurich:

Let's face it, there's just no scenario where trying to add this to old games makes sense.

Funny - that's what naysayers said about remaking Medieval Madness ...

#663 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It's not impossible - you outlined the steps necessary. It's only "impossible" if the IP can't be licensed.
I wrote a lot of code before I retired at 49. Whenever someone asked if I could do something, my answer was always "Sure, just depends how much money and/or time you have". My biggest successes were projects people called impossible.

Great ...this your new cause we get to hear about endlessly. If it's possible, you do it. Otherwise just accept it's a MMr feature and move on.

#664 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Huh? Selling remakes of MM at $8k makes total sense.

Selling an expensive hardware add-on for old games that requires a lot of R&D with a thin profit margin and limited market opportunity, that on top of all that threatens to cannabalize business from your high margin endeavor that you've already sunk a ton of R&D and man hours into?

It makes no sense.

I'm not a wizard, I'm sure it's *possible*, who the hell knows. I say don't hold your breath, it's never happening.

#665 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The reason it wasn't sought before is because PPS wouldn't let people touch the original game assets. People knew it was off limits. Your only option was replacing it all...which normally meant new hardware too (see bop 2.0 and ccc- neither of which were licensed originally)

#666 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Pretty much the way I feel… keep the 20 year old classics original for the most part. Those that want all the pretty video game colors and graphics can have MMr. An updated display would look great on the new Sterns and new pins being made today but MM (and other classics) weren't meant for all this fancy crap IMO.

Well the nice thing is that you aren't forced to buy it. I run several of my games in monochrome even though a color option is available. It's not that I don't like the color displays but rather that I'm too cheap to drop $400 on one. But maybe I should use the excuse of kids and their fancy doohickeys and Im trying to stay cool and original. I've actually witnessed a hipster in a coffee shop using an actual manual typewriter instead of a laptop. Technology isn't for everyone

#667 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I've actually witnessed a hipster in a coffee shop using an actual manual typewriter instead of a laptop. Technology isn't for everyone

You can just come out and say it was teekee you saw with the typewriter, he won't mind. I hear he also has an impressive collection of original mimeograph machines.

#668 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You can just come out and say it was teekee you saw with the typewriter, he won't mind. I hear he also has an impressive collection of original mimeograph machines.

hey that stuff smelled great!

#669 8 years ago
Quoted from hlazzer:

hey that stuff smelled great!

fasttimes.jpgfasttimes.jpg

Mmmmmmm. Good times.

#670 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Technology isn't for everyone

I love technology... as long as its moving forward. You won't catch me trying to install USB ports in my collection of original mimeograph machines.

#671 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I said that earlier.If its a "remake" it should be as close as to the original as possible.IMHO.

#672 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

fasttimes.jpg
Mmmmmmm. Good times.

Just sitting here and having a feast learning about cuba.

spicoli.jpgspicoli.jpg

#673 8 years ago

I just ordered my sling repair kit and asked about colorization. ..they said in the works. No mention of costs. Maybe le owners will get vouchers.

#674 8 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I just ordered my sling repair kit and asked about colorization. ..they said in the works. No mention of costs. Maybe le owners will get vouchers.

i may have missed your prev. posts, but how bad is your sling wear.

#675 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I said that earlier.If its a "remake" it should be as close as to the original as possible.IMHO.

So don't add the colorization. Problem solved.

I bet owners of the original MMs would go crazy buying the MMr colorization if it was available.

MMr is here. It is what they said it would be. They are awesome NEW MMs. People have them and love them. They play great and look even better. Original MMs lost a ton of value and are now priced reasonably as a direct result. Haters need to just get over this and move on rather than digging deeper into complete irrelevance with each post.

#676 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I bet owners of the original MMs would go crazy buying the MMr colorization if it was available.

Some would, some wouldn't. I would't add it to an original MM if it were free which it won't be since nothing seems free with MMr. To me it doesn't match a 20 year old classic… too fancy.

Quoted from John_I:

MMr is here. It is what they said it would be.

Expensive with expensive add ons… MMr certainly is far from a bargain. A 20 year old remake more expensive than most new pins of today. PPS has done a great job convincing you that it is a bargain, what a joke!

Quoted from John_I:

People have them and love them.

Many do not have them… still waiting… waiting… waiting… and those that got them early now have chipped play fields… nice!

Quoted from John_I:

Original MMs lost a ton of value and are now priced reasonably as a direct result.

This is the good news as I was able to add an HUO MM for a price never thought possible… yes an original with original silkscreen cabinet, no crappy decals. Reliable boards that can be worked on. Not throw away boards with no track record. Bulbs that you can change with one hand in seconds. And it will always be the 'original' not a remake wannabe.

Quoted from John_I:

Haters need to just get over this and move on rather than digging deeper into complete irrelevance with each post.

Yes, you should stop hating on the original and move on and enjoy your remake.

#677 8 years ago

I should give you a thumbs up for reinforcing my points. Instead I am done. ITI. Time to play pinball. MM with plasma DMD and zero LEDs left two weeks ago or I would play a few games on it. It is a great game.

#678 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

People have them and love them

I don't have mine, and I paid up over a year ago.

2 weeks later
#679 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

enjoy your remake.

You must be getting soft in your old age.

#680 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

i may have missed your prev. posts, but how bad is your sling wear.

Its not bad but you can tell it touched on the left and slight nick on the right.
I read there were issues and unplugged the machine.

#681 8 years ago

"... The Storm is over. Return to your homes..."

1 week later
#682 8 years ago

It's October, any news on release?

#684 8 years ago

Sooner the better..

I so want this in my black mmr...

#685 8 years ago

With the number of MMRs yet to be delivered by expo, it's likely the color upgrade will be their big topic, and not a new remake title (yet).

1 week later
#687 8 years ago

We need to know

#688 8 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Any update on this at Expo?

Not a peep. Figured MMRs on the floor would have it. They should at least tell us what is going on.

#689 8 years ago

One of the 3 MMr on the floor does have the color display. It's 90% complete. They hope to be finished by the end of the year. The display is great.

#690 8 years ago

ok, glad it made an appearance. "End of year" then is the latest update. Thanks.

#691 8 years ago
Quoted from furnissrohio:

One of the 3 MMr on the floor does have the color display. It's 90% complete. They hope to be finished by the end of the year. The display is great.

Any vids would be much appreciated.

#692 8 years ago

Just keep pumping out the games for those that are still waiting, as much as I'd like the color, I'd be happier to see every single LE out the door by the end of the year.

#693 8 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

Just keep pumping out the games for those that are still waiting, as much as I'd like the color, I'd be happier to see every single LE out the door by the end of the year.

They deserve criticism for how slow things have gone, but the color dots have nothing to do with it.

#695 8 years ago

Someone posted a 1 min video of it on YouTube but it's atrocious quality so hopefully someone posts a better one. In the video everything is standard dot matrix in color (original res) and it switches to the high res color only for the draw bridge opening animation (in the video). The older CGC preview shows much more.

#696 8 years ago

#697 8 years ago

That one is much better. Catapult and troll animations are phenomenal.

#698 8 years ago

#699 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

That one is much better. Catapult and troll animations are phenomenal.

You're welcome

#700 8 years ago

Oh man...can't wait, looks incredible!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 45.00
$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.