New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 106758)

MMR at expo

By whitey

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by calvin12
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

incoming-1.jpg
$14-bucks-worth.jpg
shirley-1.jpg
monte-2.gif
tron-fight-1.jpg
bang-head-wall-1.jpg
belushi-1.jpg
comic-job-interview.jpeg
armadllo-1.jpg
cat-1.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 1.16.15 PM.png
MM-PreProBB.jpg
MM-PreProPFBot.jpg

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

In your opinion what would an MM in new condition go for today?
MMR is new. Don't forget that you don't see MM in that condition.

With or without coinmechs ? (sorry, that door was just too wide open for smart-azz like me)

duck for cover

incoming-1.jpg

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

With or without coinmechs ? (sorry, that door was just too wide open for smart-azz like me)
duck for cover

incoming-1.jpg 6 KB

I don't think you understand. I'm serious when I say I considered canceling over that fiasco. Thought long enough about it and moved on. You can joke as much as you want. This is for my home. It's going to match my existing machines which also have no mechs.

Are you in on the MMR preorder?

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

In your opinion what would an MM in new condition go for today?

What it would sell for and what I would pay are two different things. The reality is I already had one and played the heck out of one on route back in the 90s. So what I would pay for one is way different than what someone that has not and been looking at the pinside top 100 for the last 8 years and hoping. When I compare any MM to what I now have and have paid, MM is a $3500 game folks.

#154 6 years ago

hi. yep. I'm MMRLE Black. Think I ordered within the first hour of announcement. Couldn't believe it was actually happening. Can't wait to get it

Played the heck out of it back in march on the gold and silver. Didn't have black option yet there.
It plays "better" than the real thing, and the light show is incredible on it. The lights were really the big surprise part for me. The reason I went black was, that (at least in person), the artwork on the cabinet & playfield is such high quality, that it makes the standard silver rails/legs actually look lower quality next to the art package, and they just don't seem to fit quite right. The gold is just peculiar. I really-really wanted gold. But when Black became an option I went for it. After seeing pix from Expo recently, I'm glad I went black. In the end, I'll bet there will be some cool aftermarket options.

Hopefully Rick doesn't cancel my order for trying to discuss why my expectation was off about what was included in a "complete" machine. But, given the response from some folks here, ya never know

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Exactly
hehehe... If PPS keeps that $14, they'll be able to afford that 12 pack. Good for them.
You know... it's really no big deal. But, I just don't get how folks can complain about Stern releasing playable / working games (even when there may or may not be new code coming, or repair parts, or...), but if PPS ships a machine with less parts (even though it is playable), that it is perfectly ok, and the buyer should just suck it up and live it. If that's the case, shouldn't that be the answer to every single person on pinside that complains about any Stern pinball machine, or any used pinball machine that isn't complete or what they expected, even if it is playable?
Just seems like PPS is getting measured by different standards than, say:
a) Stern,
b) anyone who sells a used pinball machine. Seller says, Ramps are in perfect condition, shows up all broken to buyer. Buyer complains (oh wait... "whines"), and the message is shut up & live with it.
c) any opinion about the Hobbit pin. It's playable, who cares about the dragon, just shut up and live with it. is that the message?
d) Having a little trouble seeing that cool UV ink on Predator. Just shut up & live with it.
e) or any other company selling pinball machines.
That, and just the principal of the situation. It is just as simple for PPS to include it as it is for me. But, why so much very strong emotional reaction to the topic is really curious. It's almost the reaction i'd expect from folks defending a religion or a sports team, etc... Especially if the folks have no (zero) financially vested interest in the company. That's just curious. Oh well. I've certainly learned my lesson.
If this is really the consensus answer to anyone with a question or complaint about a pinball being sold, then there should be a vast reduction in threads or posts on Pinside. Right? Because the answer to them is shut up & just live with it. Dang... Buyer beware...

How is PPS being measured differently? Seems every thread on MMR gets derailed by someone pissed off about one thing or another.

#156 6 years ago

Three things went wrong. One. Chicago Gaming did not have a working machine to demonstrate when they went on sale. Two. They did not deliver by the time they said they would. Three. I just lost power to my garage and part of my house and it is not a breaker. It is in the attic.

Karma is a bitch.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

He also added stuff after the announcement, leg protectors, improved cabinet bottom and finished inside of the cabinet. Original MM had none of these and they were add-ons that add value to the game. Would you like Rick to increase the price too?

The warranty was extended to 1-year instead of 6 months. The LE has a finished backbox (which I'm guessing some don't realize). The edges are smoothed instead of seeing wood grain. Personally I'm stoked about that. A perk you can actually see. This is a bitch to do yourself so I'm fine with it for free. I would have gladly gave 2 coin mechs to someone the finish the backbox for me.

In the end I feel the coin mech thing was an unfortunate miscommunication. If nothing else is removed from the final product I'm happy. I decided almost 4 months ago to move forward and forget about coin mech gate.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

But, I just don't get how folks can complain about Stern releasing playable / working games (even when there may or may not be new code coming, or repair parts, or...), but if PPS ships a machine with less parts (even though it is playable), that it is perfectly ok, and the buyer should just suck it up and live with it.

I don't like how Stern excludes the Tournament button for U.S. games...that costs a few bucks and is kind of a pain to install. I'd rather have that included than the coin mechs, because it's external (looks better than the plugged hole) and I'd actually use it.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't like how Stern excludes the Tournament button for U.S. games...that costs a few bucks and is kind of a pain to install. I'd rather have that included than the coin mechs, because it's external (looks better than the plugged hole) and I'd actually use it.

Ship has sailed guys. 95% of these games will never see a coin pass through their slots. Would it be nice if all games had mechs? Sure. Will most people even notice they're gone. Nope. Is this Armageddon here? Nope. If you are that disturbed about their omission, then cancel and put your money where your mouth is.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Use it for what? You're pinside's biggest anti-competitive crusader. Have you finally decided to join the dark side? Tourney at your house soon? Please elaborate. How exactly will you be using this tournament button?

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Use it for what? You're pinside's biggest anti-competitive crusader. Have you finally decided to join the dark side? Tourney at your house soon? Please elaborate. How exactly will you be using this tournament button?

None of your business, you condescending prick.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

None of your business, you condescending prick.

Translation = He won't be using his tournament button.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

No need to translate. I said you're a prick and I meant you're a prick.

What I do with my games is the business of me and my friends. Your input is irrelevant.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Exactly
hehehe... If PPS keeps that $14, they'll be able to afford that 12 pack. Good for them.
You know... it's really no big deal. But, I just don't get how folks can complain about Stern releasing playable / working games (even when there may or may not be new code coming, or repair parts, or...), but if PPS ships a machine with less parts (even though it is playable), that it is perfectly ok, and the buyer should just suck it up and live with it. If that's the case, shouldn't that be the answer to every single person on pinside that complains about any Stern pinball machine, or any used pinball machine that isn't complete or what they expected, even if it is playable?
Just seems like PPS is getting measured by different standards than, say:
a) Stern,
b) anyone who sells a used pinball machine. Seller says, Ramps are in perfect condition, shows up all broken to buyer. Buyer complains (oh wait... "whines"), and the message is shut up & live with it.
c) any opinion about the Hobbit pin. It's playable, who cares about the dragon, just shut up and live with it. is that the message?
d) Having a little trouble seeing that cool UV ink on Predator. Just shut up & live with it.
e) or any other company selling pinball machines.
That, and just the principal of the situation. It is just as simple for PPS to include it as it is for me. But, why so much very strong emotional reaction to the topic is really curious. It's almost the reaction i'd expect from folks defending a religion or a sports team, etc... Especially if the folks have no (zero) financially vested interest in the company. That's just curious. Oh well. I've certainly learned my lesson.
If this is really the consensus answer to anyone with a question or complaint about a pinball being sold, then there should be a vast reduction in threads or posts on Pinside. Right? Because the answer to them is shut up & just live with it. Dang... Buyer beware...

no coin mechs is fully playable. A stern game is *not* fully playable when released, very different things. The MR will play identically a year after release since it complete. A stern will be a totally different game a year after release.

#165 6 years ago

Thank god for the drain it option on threads. Yet another mmr thread going sdtm.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

Thank god for the drain it option on threads. Yet another mmr thread going sdtm.

Beats TV

plus, secretly, I like hanging out with all these pinball dudes & dudettes, even if we do disagree about stuff.

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Even if he never pushes the button it looks MUCH better than a plugged hole. If he doesn't use it then it proves his point even more...button is rarely used and coin mech is rarely used.

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Even if he never pushes the button it look MUCH better than a plugged hole. If he doesn't use it then it proves his point even more...button is rarely used and coin mech is rarely used.

Sometimes I'll set up a 1-ball tournament or something when friends come over. You need the button to do that. And it looks better. You're nice, Pimp - so I'll tell you these things.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sometimes I'll set up a 1-ball tournament or something when friends come over. You need the button to do that. And it looks better. You're nice, Pimp - so I'll tell you these things.

What are you talking about?

Pimp is a pompous ass!!!

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What are you talking about?
Pimp is a pompous ass!!!

The pompous-er the better!

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No need to translate. I said you're a prick and I meant you're a prick.
What I do with my games is the business of me and my friends. Your input is irrelevant.

Wish I could say the same for all the "input" you tend to spew around here

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

The MR will play identically a year after release since it complete.

That's a pretty broad assumption!
Do Emulated MAME games play identical to the original arcade games?
Nope.

So how is an emulated MM code going to be identical?
Remember is a completely new control system in MMR; there will be differences in game play / timing. Saying otherwise without the machine being systematically compared to the original is just hopeful pre-launch speculation. Will is be close enough for most to not notice ... probably; but it will be different.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sometimes I'll set up a 1-ball tournament

Lance Armstrong style tournament?

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That's a pretty broad assumption!
Do Emulated MAME games play identical to the original arcade games?
Nope.
So how is an emulated MM code going to be identical?
Remember is a completely new control system in MMR; there will be differences in game play / timing. Saying otherwise without the machine being systematically compared to the original is just hopeful pre-launch speculation. Will is be close enough for most to not notice ... probably; but it will be different.

lets put in the entire comment I made that you selectively quoted "no coin mechs is fully playable. A stern game is *not* fully playable when released, very different things. The MR will play identically a year after release since it complete. A stern will be a totally different game a year after release."

not a broad assumption at all, I didn't say it would be identical to the original. I said it will play a year after release like it does at release. The game code is complete. They might find issues with the emulation that they patch but that's the same that was done at williams. If MMr was released like a stern on day one would have a non-scoring, non-functional moat lock, they wouldn't have the damsel divertor code in, superjets would be added about 9 months after release and making a shot to the second catapult target would not register.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 209.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 50.00
$ 229.99
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 11.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Antonio, TX
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside