4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Got a chance to play a couple games.

It played exactly like MM should - though I would say the "tearing" was completely noticeable and seemed to happen a lot. And the green that it ships with on the DMD looks terrible.

Only real issue...flippers seemed kind of weak, for a brand new MM. What's up with that? I know there are flipper strength settings...did they just do this for the show so games were shorter? Or do they just ship like this, with weak flippers and flipper angles that aren't quite steep enough?

Does changing flipper strength in settings actually do anything, or is it like old Sega games where there is no effect?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

though I would say the "tearing" was completely noticeable and seemed to happen a lot. And the green that it ships with on the DMD looks terrible.

Interested in MMR . What do you mean by "tearing" as I am not sure what you are describing . Thanks .

#3 4 years ago

Keep in mind that at a show you generally don't get full power to games due to all the electricity being used. Could easily be a case of the game not getting full power so the setting was producing less power than it should. This is a great reason to have adjustments in there to. Instead of having to deal with weak flippers you can actually make them better.

I've never noticed the tearing people speak of. Maybe I'm not looking for the right things though.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Keep in mind that at a show you generally don't get full power to games due to all the electricity being used. Could easily be a case of the game not getting full power so the setting was producing less power than it should. This is a great reason to have adjustments in there to. Instead of having to deal with weak flippers you can actually make them better.
    I've never noticed the tearing people speak of. Maybe I'm not looking for the right things though.

Absolutely this. The Pinball Gallery had their MMR set up for free play and the flippers were definitely weak. After talking to owner, he said he measured the current coming out of the wall and it was much lower than it should have been.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does changing flipper strength in settings actually do anything,

Yes, it does something.

And if wall outlet voltage is low, easy to go into CGC settings and make them stronger.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago

Got a play a few games on MMR at a different location, I noticed the flippers right away. They could make all the shots so I can understand not having them turned too far up, but they did feel lighter than I expected

#7 4 years ago

Mine is at factory settings and plays fine. Plenty of flipper power.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Interested in MMR . What do you mean by "tearing" as I am not sure what you are describing . Thanks .

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

RobKnapp said:
    Interested in MMR . What do you mean by "tearing" as I am not sure what you are describing . Thanks

Check the MMR thread, but from what i understand, this is a software issue that PPS/CGC is fixing.

It's a DMD issue.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Is this a common problem/situation at shows? I had a game in the freeplay area Saturday (not MMr) and before packing it up I played a quick game to see how it held up and noticed the flippers didn't have nearly the same "pop". I thought maybe the game was hot from being played all day and that was causing the problem but it never crossed my mind that it could have been a power issue?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Is this a common problem/situation at shows?

yes

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Is this a common problem/situation at shows? I had a game in the freeplay area Saturday (not MMr) and before packing it up I played a quick game to see how it held up and noticed the flippers didn't have nearly the same "pop". I thought maybe the game was hot from being played all day and that was causing the problem but it never crossed my mind that it could have been a power issue?

Yes, very common.

#13 4 years ago

240v FTW

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would say the "tearing" was completely noticeable and seemed to happen a lot. [...] Only real issue...flippers seemed kind of weak, for a brand new MM. What's up with that?

I played 6 games and had exactly the same observations.

First thing I noticed were the flippers. The feeling was weird, not right. Kinda bouncy, it was really hard to control the ball.

I also noticed the tearing and it was driving me nuts. Sorry, i'm that kind of guy.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lowrent:

First thing I noticed were the flippers. The feeling was weird, not right. Kinda bouncy, it was really hard to control the ball.
    I also noticed the tearing and it was driving me nuts. Sorry, i'm that kind of guy.

The angles weren't steep enough and the flippers were weak.

Made backhanding the castle gate - even from a trap - very difficult. This is usually a money shot on any MM game.

#16 4 years ago

The green DMD looks like ass and doesn't match the theme and it's not very bright. Can't the color be changed? My wife and I both commented on how awful the green screen was and the gold legs and parts wasn't a flattering gold either.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

The green DMD looks like ass and doesn't match the theme and it's not very bright.

It can easily be changed to any color you want.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lowrent:

Yeah, same here. Very hard to cradle. But no game breakers, I'm sure this is easily tweaked. Good game in my opinion.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It can easily be changed to any color you want.

it can easily be changed to any color that is available on the DMD.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The angles weren't steep enough and the flippers were weak.
    Made backhanding the castle gate - even from a trap - very difficult. This is usually a money shot on any MM game.

You can set the flippers 5 or 6 levels stronger and it does make a difference. I've got mine on +3 It was probably set to stock and running off a weak pin-show line.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

Yeah, same here. Very hard to cradle.

They're setting the flippers too low from the factory, so cradling feels weird if you don't adjust them up a tad. Once adjusted it cradles normal.

Quoted from calvin12:

Yes - literally ANY color. There are a bunch of pre-set colors...but you can also adjust the RGB values for any color that exists.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

That green shouldn't even be a choice it's so awful. I guess that is the default color out of the box because both were green.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They're setting the flippers too low from the factory, so cradling feels weird if you don't adjust them up a tad. Once adjusted it cradles normal.

Yes - literally ANY color. There are a bunch of pre-set colors...but you can also adjust the RGB values for any color that exists.

there is still a finite number. there are levels for each of the RGB values, likely 256, so there is a shitton of colors, but finite.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

My wife and I both commented on how awful the green screen was and the gold legs and parts wasn't a flattering gold either.

I agree, ugly as sin. When I get a stainless MMR the DMD will be orange. Or blue, or purple, or red, or anything but green.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 89.00
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 10.00
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside