Coin_Mech_SBA.JPG
LN-862.jpg
Bullshit_Amplifier_Detector.gif
money-water-1.jpg
images-139.jpeg
dancing-the-big-lebowski-jeff-bridges-the-dude.gif
1281999673_5.jpg
tron cupcake.jpg
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Let's do some math...
$8000 x 1000 = $8,000,000.00 - that's $8 Million
Let's be conservative and say - $4 million in cost = $4 million profit, free and clear.

BUT , If they were to say $5500.00 for the STANDARD.
I have no doubt 20,000 in sales , so $5500.00 x 20,000 = $110,000,000
that's $110 million...
Minus cost, let's say cost is $3,500 a machine...that's $70 million.
$110 - $70 Million= $40 million....Who wouldn't want that?
Even at a generous $4K a machine- $80million = $30 million , free and clear...
well,minus taxes., 24 million maybe..
This would keep Stern pinball totally productive , for 2 years at least...,
AND think of the PARTS PPS sells to these new 20,000 machines over the next 2-20 years..,
sounds like a win-win to me...

Science fiction.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

I wish a little more thinking could of gone on before pricing for the standard MMr was announced.
MMr could of been the #1 selling game in pinball history..(still could be..).
Let me explain., (a little long-winded, please bear with me)....
First, LE's ($8K or so..), These games are for/targeted to the top 5%
of pinball buyer's.(the well off , so to speak)..That is why there are only 200-1000 produced, That is what the 5% can handle. (For the most part).. (I will call them the 5%, just as an example).
The MASS majority of NIB pinball buyer's are the premium to Pro buyer's., that mean's, THESE people have a budget, and stick too it. And to a EVEN GREATER extent, buyer's of machines in the Used market.(I will call these the 95%, just as an example) By far, there more Used machines bought and sold in a given year, than than all NIB combined, no doubt.
SO, back to MMr, when it was first announced, Yes, I agree, great price point for an LE.
Rick should be congratulated for bringing back #1 pin back to the pinball community
at a much affordable price than the going rate for said game.(and a great deal NIB)..
Then It sell's out in a few hour's, but the problem with that....
Is, The Top 5% who can spend 8K on an LE, ALREADY have a MM in their collection.(for most part)
And may I say, even alot of premium, pro, used guys , sacrificed alot to get a MM over the years too.
So, what you had at Expo 2013, the premium, pro, AND Used buyer's, basically Over-extending their
budget's in a frenzie atmosphere wanting a MM...$1000, I can do that..!
After a little time thinking about it, Reality set's in, $8K is a boatload of money for one machine.,
even for a MM say the (95%)...SO, they start to cancel order's.., and that's where we are today.
Now, even if PPS would of just said, 1000 LE's, that's it, $8K , take or leave it..,
we would still be where we are today, alot of (95%) , who realize, $8K is out of my league..
hence, due to the (5%) who can absorb that, already have one.
Now, saying that, I believe ALL of the Le's will sell out, eventually, too good of a game, NIB, it will.
SO, now we get to start at my original topic, STANDARD MMr's...
These should be at $5500.00, basic, plain (pro, so to speak) model's..Your getting $1000 more than any Stern Pro model ever.!!
What you would get is 80% of the (95%).Market....DONE DEAL. You would get all of the premium buyers, all of the Pro buyer's, and a BIG % of the Used market. I know ALOT of people who have NEVER bought NIB,
But they would of bought this [email protected].
Let's do some math...
$8000 x 1000 = $8,000,000.00 - that's $8 Million
Let's be conservative and say - $4 million in cost = $4 million profit, free and clear.
BUT , If they were to say $5500.00 for the STANDARD.
I have no doubt 20,000 in sales , so $5500.00 x 20,000 = $110,000,000
that's $110 million...
Minus cost, let's say cost is $3,500 a machine...that's $70 million.
$110 - $70 Million= $40 million....Who wouldn't want that?
Even at a generous $4K a machine- $80million = $30 million , free and clear...
well,minus taxes., 24 million maybe..
This would keep Stern pinball totally productive , for 2 years at least...,
AND think of the PARTS PPS sells to these new 20,000 machines over the next 2-20 years..,
sounds like a win-win to me...

20000 in sales are you freaking high?

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

20000 in sales are you freaking high?

I actually found his logic quite sound until I came to the 20,000 part.

#105 9 years ago

The rest of the numbers only make sense in his imaginary world. Making any guesses at to the bom cost is silly, that does not take into the board set cost, or contracting cost for the build.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

$7900 to be exact... please pay attention and get it right next time.
Now, let's dance!
You Non HEP guys that know nothing about high end restored pins crack me up!

dancing-the-big-lebowski-jeff-bridges-the-dude.gifdancing-the-big-lebowski-jeff-bridges-the-dude.gif

#107 9 years ago

I am happy they are not making a limited amount on standard and allowing everyone who wanted a game the opportunity of getting one. Especially since this has been ranked as the number one game over the years in most polls. However, given the great amount of new games to be coming out eventually in the next year or so since the MMr announcement by new company's makes it hard to justify spending big 8k on an older title compared to these new titles. It appears pinball is finally started to advance a little and making some detailed, upgraded technology games. Maybe PPS next title will be priced lower since it will have more to compete with down the road. All in all I would still want a MMr in my collection no matter what comes out. I know that makes no sense but that is the way I feel right now. Most what it all old and new. For example, I like a lot of old school heavy metal or rock bands and still want new music by them to be made but probably will never buy the whole entire new cd by the band as it's not the same as there old music. The new tracks might have a song or two that I like but hardly the entire album like the classics they made in the past.

#108 9 years ago

Thank you… but I love you!

Now, can we dance?

#109 9 years ago

Lots of good thoughts in this thread. Follow my logic here, it's a bit tricky.

I think they should build them using air for materials and Oompa Loompas for labor (they work for free because they don't actually exist).

Total cost of build=$0

Sell the games for a dollar apiece. I estimate that they could sell a billion MMRs at this price (using my handy dandy "make shit up with no facts estimator" that I've borrowed from fellow pinsiders).

Total profit=ONE BILLION DOLLARS

That's right PPS! You are leaving a billion dollars on the table, suckers!

Edit: Also PPS, If you refuse to answer why you aren't doing this, I will assume you don't want people to know the truth.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Total profit=ONE BILLION DOLLARS

images-139.jpegimages-139.jpeg

Been done before.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Been done before.

images-139.jpeg 6 KB

His plan didn't make sense.

#112 9 years ago

Let's dance!

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Science fiction.

Except for the "science" part...

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Well, Rick has managed to get all the licensing for all the previous BW games (including BBB as rumor has it) so he certainly knows his way around the hobby. And he has managed to contract Stern to assemble MM, and has been remaking all the MM parts for years that guys have been using to rebuild MMs in their garages and basements. And he loves the hobby.
Its doubtful he would let his first assembly project with the new company fall on its face. If he has a problem I'm sure he has plenty of guys in the background who have been restoring B/Wms games who would point him in the right direction.
Its doubtful that PPS will fail in this endeavor other than not achieving their deadlines as promised. But no manufacturer has yet hit their deadlines on any of these new projects. I would put my money on it being done properly but personally do not think the game is worth that money in old or new form. I had one and rotated it out of the collection when newer offerings came out. My humble opinion is its just not an $8000 game new, old, rebuilt, remade, HUO or whatever. But its a fun game and most newbies really loved it. I know darn well that its the "holy grail" game for many pinheads as it was for me at the time. And everyone deserves that opportunity to own their holy grail game at least once in their lives at an affordable price.
So go for it guys. You finally have a chance to own a NIB MM for much less than you would have paid for a worn out rebuild two years ago. No drawbridges mechs that have hidden wear, drawbridges that are cracked or broken, no reglued moats, no raised inserts etc. And you will have a warranty. Worst case scenario is that you will lose a few bucks if you sell it a year later. Thats no different than any new LE game coming on the market now.
Enjoy!

Excellent post!

#115 9 years ago

20,000?

Are arcades back in full force?

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

20,000?
Are arcades back in full force?

i wish

#117 9 years ago

Don't we all? It would eventually give us some routed games cheap that need some TLC. It seems that everything coming into the market lately is HUO. Nothing wrong with that, but it does make the price higher. But I guess thats OK too since you are getting some some near perfect games for maybe a 25% premium over routed games?
That really is a good deal when you think about it. The future will be interesting. We just have to keep hoping that the 1%ers will keep buying NIB games so that they eventually dribble down to us.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Science fiction.

Hell has froze over. I actually agree with Rick on something.

#119 9 years ago

it is as though we've entered some kind of mirror universe in the last 24 hours.
you're agreeing with Rick. i'm get trolled by Rarehero, and Teekee is giving me thumbs-up.
centerflank & bangerjay are wearing dresses. (well, ok... that's normal)

what the bleep is going on

hehehe

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

it is as though we've entered some kind of mirror universe in the last 24 hours.
you're agreeing with Rick. i'm get trolled by Rarehero, and Teekee is giving me thumbs-up.
centerflank & bangerjay are wearing dresses. (well, ok... that's normal)
what the bleep is going on
hehehe

You better buy a TZ because you are in it!

#121 9 years ago

PPS wants to make a nice profit. End of story.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

To be fair, it's not a charity, it's a business. All businesses exist because they "make a nice profit". I'm not justifying anything just saying....

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

and I think you would be surprised as to how much money it takes to make a pinball machine.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

and I think you would be surprised as to how much money it takes to make a pinball machine.

Rick, while you are on, what was the deal with the front leg levelers being jacked up so high at expo?

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The front legs were jacked up all the way to desgise the fact that the games played like crap, it was so everyone blamed the pitch of the game.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Rick, while you are on, what was the deal with the front leg levelers being jacked up so high at expo?

I did find that very strange. If you don't want to make it steep then just leave all the levelers down. Not sure I ever seen the front levelers set higher then the back.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I did find that very strange. If you don't want to make it steep then just leave all the levelers down. Not sure I ever seen the front levelers set higher then the back.

Yeah, I know there has been a lot of speculation, I was just hoping to get an answer from Rick.

Jalpert, what happened to your post? Someone hack your account and type that out or something? lol

#129 9 years ago

They said it would be shipped by 3rd Quarter of 2014. Lie. They wanted people's money fast knowing there was no way they would be producing it that fast. Typically Carnival scammers. Ruined the value of a great game based on empty promises they couldn't back up.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Levelergate is explained on the PPS forum. Go check it out.

It's between the coinmechgate and depositgate threads. Kidding. But the explanation is there and works for me.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Pablito:

Levelergate is explained on the PPS forum. Go check it out.
It's between the coinmechgate and depositgate threads. Kidding. But the explanation is there and works for me.

So levelergate is another super secret thing I have to read about on another forum and cannot be posted to pinside huh? *Sigh*

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

So levelergate is another super secret thing I have to read about on another forum and cannot be posted to pinside huh? *Sigh*

Unfortunately, yes. But it is probably a good forum to follow if you're a buyer because they are now giving weekly updates on mondays. Also seems to be a lot less noise in the threads there.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

To be fair, it's not a charity, it's a business. All businesses exist because they "make a nice profit". I'm not justifying anything just saying....

Quoted from PPS:

Maybe I should have said, "They charge what they do so that they can make a profit." I wasn't dissing PPS. You make the investment. You take the chance. You set the price level. No one is forced to pay it. I agree it is not a charity. It is free enterprise. Pricing is like water . . . it will eventually find its own level . . .

Now. End of story!

#134 9 years ago

there's a layer of coinmech sediment deep in there somewhere

money-water-1.jpgmoney-water-1.jpg

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

there a layer of coinmech sediment deep in there somewhere

Yeah, I left that part out! Ha. Was too tired to bring it up and have to fight with people on here . . .

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Maybe I should have said, "They charge what they do so that they can make a profit." I wasn't dissing PPS. You make the investment. You take the chance. You set the price level. No one is forced to pay it. I agree it is not a charity. It is free enterprise. Pricing is like water . . . it will eventually find its own level . . .

Now. End of story!

i was surprised with the answer you got as well. nothing in your statement was ignorant or rude, you actually support pps with the pricing but get attacked for it.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Now. End of story!

Oh I totally agree, I wasn't jumping on you about it. I knew you meant more than what you typed.

#138 9 years ago

I wonder if Rick would spend 20 Million , to make 2 million in one year..?? just curious..?

(Oops, I meant to say, a 2 million dollar profit of course)

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

I wonder if Rick would spend 20 Million , to make 2 million in one year..?? just curious..?
My father once said to me, are your willing to spend $1 million to make $1 million??..
I said "yes. !! ..That is what the great men of this country meant...and did.!!
NOw a days, these stupid CEO's think they should spend 20 million and make 60 million...
So wrong....

Go home limelime, your drunk!

#140 9 years ago

If a man can make $1 million a year, I would think he would.

#141 9 years ago

i would tend to spend $2M to make $20M before I would spend $20M to make $2M

#142 9 years ago

I would think profit would be a good thing.....

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

If a man can make $1 million , anyway he can, he should hug his mother and father ...

Quoted from limelime20:

Why would you not make 2 million?, no matter what it took?.... your not a bright business man..you
have backward thinking..

Okay Lime, give me your keys. You aren't driving anywhere tonight.

#144 9 years ago

lol...... thank you.yes ..I am going to bed .., gn all. I apologize for the business man comment rick,
you give alot to the pinball community, and we appreciate it..!

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

I wasn't jumping on you about it.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't FEEL any hate in your original comment.

Anyone from good ole West 'By God' Virginia is alright with me!

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Anyone from good ole West 'By God' Virginia is alright with me!

Damn straight, take me home country roads! Much love to my western brother state KY!

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Why would you not make 2 million?, no matter what it took?.... your not a bright business man..you
have backward thinking..sorry.

Well, because there are no guarantees with any investment of any return, so I applied reality to your question, otherwise it's a completely useless discussion. Making a pinball machine is full of risk, so all parties involved are putting up alot of money with great risk that it may not happen. Anyone putting up money to make a pinball machine is going to expect a return just for that risk, which if you were an underwriter, would not touch pinball with a 10-foot pole ... that's why we are all a little crazy to do what we do ...

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

that's why we are all a little crazy to do what we do ...

Bullshit_Amplifier_Detector.gifBullshit_Amplifier_Detector.gif
#149 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

there a layer of coinmech sediment deep in there somewhere

money-water-1.jpg 309 KB

Seems like teen spirit, where is the baby from the Nirvana album in this picture?

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Ok, surprise us. Would love to see some real numbers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-5500-msrp/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.